HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
12-25-2013, 03:36 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Keep them all and deal other pieces and go big time after UFA's. You don't trade these kinds of talents away unless you have to.
How many big UFA's have we landed in the last decade? And what do you think you could get for any spare parts on the 2nd worst team in the league? I mean they are spare parts here, why the heck would anyone else want them? The sad truth is outside of maybe 5- 10 players we have no one worth more then a 2nd round pick.

And yes we could go after some players in UFA who arent quite top notch, but how much will they actually improve the team? Would them filling in on the top defensive pairing/top 6 be enough to get us a cup? Any UFA's we sign now are most likely going to be on the team for 3 years just to get them to sign here. So we need to keep this all in mind.

I still think the best thing given a value stand point if Reinhart or Bennett are available at our pick this summer would be to trade RNH. He would arguably return the most of any of the big 3, and if were picking one of those 2 we still have our first line center in the org. Depending on the return we should be a more competitive team and be able to bring our new center along properly.

Old
12-25-2013, 03:40 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Keep them all and deal other pieces and go big time after UFA's. You don't trade these kinds of talents away unless you have to.
I don't include Eberle with Hall and RNH. he is not that special. he is Alex Tanguay or Michael Ryder. a very tradeable part.

Old
12-25-2013, 04:06 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I know people say it's just another magic bean... but where would the Oilers be without their past magic beans? They'd have literally nothing without players like Hall/RNH/Yak... they'd be a team still spinning their wheels missing the playoffs every year AND with no hope of real improvement going forward.

These elite players they pick up are their only chance at success down the road... surround them with decent role players and secondary talent (the job for a new management group) and let them all develop chemistry together. That is literally the only formula for possible success in Edmonton... nothing else will work and give them a legit chance at perennial contender status.

Edit... without those magic beans... the Oilers would be the Flames. A lunchpail team that works hard but never gets anywhere and who's future looks dim at best... maybe an overachieving 8th place finish every 3 or 4 years where they squeak in and bow out in the 1st round.
did i just get time warped back 3 years? we've got enough top-end young studs. the time to start surrounding them was last year.

hasn't this year proven that simply tanking and waiting doesn't necessarily yield the results you want? when you are the worst team in the league, it is very difficult to improve. it takes real management of assets to get out of the gutter, not just waiting.

who would have thought that 3 first overall picks wouldn't be enough, and now you think another is the answer? and another top 5 pick next year? (which would absolutely happen if we do not make changes and end up 29th or 30th this year)

we've got to start improving. we've got to set higher standards. this willingness to be THE WORST TEAM IN THE F---ING LEAGUE has got to end. I'd rather see a real trade that allows us to play .600 hockey the rest of the way and end up picking 24th. i want progress NOW, or at least the declaration that tanking is no longer acceptable. i want a manager that is trying to improve the team, not intentionally letting them remain bad so we can draft high. we, of all fans should know, it doesn't work.

i agree with you on the new management group part.

Old
12-25-2013, 04:26 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
did i just get time warped back 3 years? we've got enough top-end young studs. the time to start surrounding them was last year.

hasn't this year proven that simply tanking and waiting doesn't necessarily yield the results you want? when you are the worst team in the league, it is very difficult to improve. it takes real management of assets to get out of the gutter, not just waiting.

who would have thought that 3 first overall picks wouldn't be enough, and now you think another is the answer? and another top 5 pick next year? (which would absolutely happen if we do not make changes and end up 29th or 30th this year)

we've got to start improving. we've got to set higher standards. this willingness to be THE WORST TEAM IN THE F---ING LEAGUE has got to end. I'd rather see a real trade that allows us to play .600 hockey the rest of the way and end up picking 24th. i want progress NOW, or at least the declaration that tanking is no longer acceptable. i want a manager that is trying to improve the team, not intentionally letting them remain bad so we can draft high. we, of all fans should know, it doesn't work.

That's where I just don't understand because if we're going to follow Pittsburgh's path we will fail because the forwards aren't at the same level,and if we are to follow Chicago's rebuild,it's going to fail because they got top pairing defensemen through the draft in which we haven't done,and if we're to follow LA's rebuild we would again fail because LA drafted Doughty to lead their defense and we again have nothing.

We do need another top pick whether fans want to acknowledge it or not, and if it doesn't happen,you can pretty much predict it that this rebuild is going to end up being like the Atlanta/Florida/Columbus type rebuilds .

Old
12-25-2013, 04:34 AM
oilersfan11

Aaron Ekblad should be the last top pick for this team.

Hall-Left Wing
RNH-Center
Yakupov-Right Wing
Ekblad-Defense

Future

Hall-RNH-Yakupov

Ekblad-Nurse

Rebuild over, and now time to get down to making the moves to improve this team through free agency and any trades that are right for this team long term.

Old
12-25-2013, 05:22 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
That's where I just don't understand because if we're going to follow Pittsburgh's path we will fail because the forwards aren't at the same level,and if we are to follow Chicago's rebuild,it's going to fail because they got top pairing defensemen through the draft in which we haven't done,and if we're to follow LA's rebuild we would again fail because LA drafted Doughty to lead their defense and we again have nothing.

We do need another top pick whether fans want to acknowledge it or not, and if it doesn't happen,you can pretty much predict it that this rebuild is going to end up being like the Atlanta/Florida/Columbus type rebuilds .
the reason is because they blew it on so many of their picks. In my estimation the only picks they got right were RNH and Hall (well, i suppose Eberle because there wasn't much left). the rest all should have been for need or traded. Gagner, Paajarvi, Yak, should have been used to fill a need. IOW, pretty much always take a C or a D and preferable big.

you know what is going to come out of this? this Oilers' experiment is going to make taking the 'best player available' nolonger the rule of thumb. Only take bpa if he is clearly better (by a wide margin) than the player for need. otherwise, always pick for need. that is what this has proven. the Yak pick was a mistake. I don't care what he turns out to be, we needed a D or C. they should have either traded down, or trade it completely, or just taken Murray (who is much better then J. Schultz, btw)

OMG, we are looking at a 7 year rebuild and over a decade without playoffs (and most years out before February). i'm not sure I can wait for the last 18 year old to finally become a man. just too aggravating and embarrassing. other teams' fans don't even raz us anymore, out of pity.

Klowe, you can blame yourself for losing a generation and turning many Tier I and Tier II fans into Tier III fans (casual, rarely spends money on the team and only excited when the team makes the playoffs)

Last edited by Up the Irons: 12-25-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old
12-25-2013, 07:24 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
How many big UFA's have we landed in the last decade? And what do you think you could get for any spare parts on the 2nd worst team in the league? I mean they are spare parts here, why the heck would anyone else want them? The sad truth is outside of maybe 5- 10 players we have no one worth more then a 2nd round pick.

And yes we could go after some players in UFA who arent quite top notch, but how much will they actually improve the team? Would them filling in on the top defensive pairing/top 6 be enough to get us a cup? Any UFA's we sign now are most likely going to be on the team for 3 years just to get them to sign here. So we need to keep this all in mind.

I still think the best thing given a value stand point if Reinhart or Bennett are available at our pick this summer would be to trade RNH. He would arguably return the most of any of the big 3, and if were picking one of those 2 we still have our first line center in the org. Depending on the return we should be a more competitive team and be able to bring our new center along properly.
That would be a step backwards and would only prolong our futility.

Filling holes while creating new one's is what got us in this mess in the first place.

Old
12-25-2013, 07:50 AM
Lacaar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
This is the exact reason I said earlier that to get a true #1 it'll cost us Eberle plus the 1st.
Throw in taylor hall too.

You severely under value the assets it would need to pry a true #1 d man from a team that isn't looking to move one.

Old
12-25-2013, 08:31 AM
Bill Waters

vCash: 495
[QUOTE=Up the Irons;76760725]the reason is because they blew it on so many of their picks. In my estimation the only picks they got right were RNH and Hall (well, i suppose Eberle because there wasn't much left). the rest all should have been for need or traded. Gagner, Paajarvi, Yak, should have been used to fill a need. IOW, pretty much always take a C or a D and preferable big.[/QUOTE/]

Not even the champs got all their high end picks right: Thomas Hickey, LA 2007; Kyle Beach, Chicago 2008; Colten Teubert, LA 2008; Joe Colborne, Boston 2008.

Old
12-25-2013, 08:35 AM
Bill Waters

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
Throw in taylor hall too.

You severely over value the assets it would need to pry a true #1 d man from a team that isn't looking to move one.
I think that's what you mean? Larsson for this year's first (assumed 2nd overall) if we really want to move the rebuild further along seems like a realistic proposal.

Old
12-25-2013, 01:38 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
That would be a step backwards and would only prolong our futility.

Filling holes while creating new one's is what got us in this mess in the first place.
I dunno, depends on the asset we get in return. Would you say RNH for Weber really sets us back considering we'd have Reinhart or Bennett(Who I consider to be close to the calibre of Reinhart some may not agree) in the stable? Or RNH for say Subban and Eller from the Canadians? I think it depends on the return. You obviously dont give RNH away but if he returns assets that help your club now and in the future you have to at least consider the idea. Same with Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, etc....

Also disagree on the filling holes and creating new ones is what got us in this mess. What got us in this mess was creating holes for no reason. Trading a 30 goal guy like Penner for magic beans, trading Vishnovsky for a guy that Anaheim couldn't wait to get rid of, trading Brodziak for nothing, letting Glencross walk. This team continually shipped guys out for guys with "potential" and never filled the holes in the team they created from these magic bean trades.

Old
12-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Soundwave

If you are getting Griffin Reinhart for sure, then yeah I would consider RNH for Weber, but I doubt Weber accepts a trade here and is Reinhart your immediate no.1 center? Probably still not making the playoffs for a couple of years in that case.

We made a big mistake in not moving Gagner last summer when we could've gotten good value for him IMO.

Old
12-25-2013, 02:24 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
If you are getting Sam Reinhart for sure, then yeah I would consider RNH for Weber, but I doubt Weber accepts a trade here and is Reinhart your immediate no.1 center? Probably still not making the playoffs for a couple of years in that case.

We made a big mistake in not moving Gagner last summer when we could've gotten good value for him IMO.
Fixed...

And no I wouldn't put Reinhart in as the #1 center right away. I'd want him sheltered for a few years which is something we should have done with RNH. I'd look at signing someone like Grabovski in the off season to bring in and play between Hall and Eberle. Or make a trade for a big reliable center. Maybe something like Yakupov for Couturier and Simmonds would work? I dunno just throwing stuff out there. But I'd look at bringing in someone to play the heavy minutes and shelter Reinhart until he was ready.

Old
12-25-2013, 10:18 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:

Let's not forget that those 3 #1 picks are essentially very young hockey players and obviously still developing.

3 #1 picks AREN'T enough because 3 young players certainly can't do it all on their own.

If you expected those 3 picks to be leading us on the parade route already... well that's unrealistic expectations.

Those players are good but they are going to take time to develop and reach their full potential. Yak is basically a baby yet in terms of NHL experience... and has teething problems finding his way in this league. He's defensively inferior BUT has a huge ceiling that will take time and patience to reach. RNH and Hall are obviously both further along... it's no surprise that Hall looks the best as he's the oldest of the 3 as well.

The problems of this team aren't that they are drafting #1's and they aren't helping fast enough... it's that Lowe/Tambo/MacT aren't recognizing and filling the voids on this team with sufficient talent so that these young players have decent teammates to play with.

This team wasn't a playoff team or even a competitive team this year from simply looking at that roster last summer. Management didn't sufficiently address 3 key areas (size/grit/physicality throughout the lineup, goaltending and defense).

The failure this year is on the heads of MacT/Tambo/Lowe for not acquiring decent supporting talent in key areas and secondarily on Eakins who may be doing his best with a nerfed roster but his best simply isn't good enough.

Even if he did get the most out of this team though I still think they'd be far from a playoff team. I think 11th (maybe 10th at best) in the West was their best case this year and they obviously aren't even living up to that.

More elite talent in the form of another top 2 pick WILL help this team. The pressure is on management to address the roster deficiencies without burning those valuable pieces.

Think of it like this... would you trade Ekblad away if he was already Oiler property in the prospect pool? I certainly wouldn't as he'd be a key piece of this team going forward and that's what the team is doing by trading that pick away... trading a valuable piece of the roster going forward.

When this team finds itself in a position to draft a player like Reinhart or Ekblad they MUST do that. Too many holes, too many issues to fix by trading that pick and whomever they get back won't help this team vault upwards from 29th to being a playoff team.

Old
12-25-2013, 10:34 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Let's not forget that those 3 #1 picks are essentially very young hockey players and obviously still developing.

3 #1 picks AREN'T enough because 3 young players certainly can't do it all on their own.

If you expected those 3 picks to be leading us on the parade route already... well that's unrealistic expectations.

Those players are good but they are going to take time to develop and reach their full potential. Yak is basically a baby yet in terms of NHL experience... and has teething problems finding his way in this league. He's defensively inferior BUT has a huge ceiling that will take time and patience to reach. RNH and Hall are obviously both further along... it's no surprise that Hall looks the best as he's the oldest of the 3 as well.

The problems of this team aren't that they are drafting #1's and they aren't helping fast enough... it's that Lowe/Tambo/MacT aren't recognizing and filling the voids on this team with sufficient talent so that these young players have decent teammates to play with.

This team wasn't a playoff team or even a competitive team this year from simply looking at that roster last summer. Management didn't sufficiently address 3 key areas (size/grit/physicality throughout the lineup, goaltending and defense).

The failure this year is on the heads of MacT/Tambo/Lowe for not acquiring decent supporting talent in key areas and secondarily on Eakins who may be doing his best with a nerfed roster but his best simply isn't good enough.

Even if he did get the most out of this team though I still think they'd be far from a playoff team. I think 11th (maybe 10th at best) in the West was their best case this year and they obviously aren't even living up to that.

More elite talent in the form of another top 2 pick WILL help this team. The pressure is on management to address the roster deficiencies without burning those valuable pieces.

Think of it like this... would you trade Ekblad away if he was already Oiler property in the prospect pool? I certainly wouldn't as he'd be a key piece of this team going forward and that's what the team is doing by trading that pick away... trading a valuable piece of the roster going forward.

When this team finds itself in a position to draft a player like Reinhart or Ekblad they MUST do that. Too many holes, too many issues to fix by trading that pick and whomever they get back won't help this team vault upwards from 29th to being a playoff team.

I couldn't agree more.

Old
12-25-2013, 10:57 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:

good post. as some posters have provided strong arguments, i am, reluctantly, starting to accept that they have to tank this year too (what a f---ing embarrassment) and draft Ekblad.

I just can't believe how asleep at the wheel Oilers' management has been the last 4 years. I mean, what the h-ll have they been doing? where are the support players? neglect and incompetence at such monumental levels.. and not a shred of accountability from Lowe.

Old
12-26-2013, 12:13 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Well the plan WAS to tank with Lowe/Tambo implementing that policy as part of the 4-6 year rebuild process. I'm of the strong belief that it was a combination of intentionally not acquiring decent assets (to help the tanking process) AND general incompetence in selecting the players they did feel would help fill holes on the roster.

It's hard to separate the deliberate and the unintentional when it comes to why the team is now in the state it is in.

One thing that I think management underestimated was how difficult it is to turn the switch from tank mode to contender mode.

It turns out it's not as simple as saying... "Ok tank mode is over now, we need to acquire solid assets to help come out of this rebuild".

Actually going from tank mode to "coming out of rebuild mode" takes some competence from the pro scouts and management to get REAL NHL assets that will actually improve the team.

MacT isn't dumb but I think he severely underestimated the level of difficulty there would be in acquiring the correct players in the UFA market and through trades to be able to fill the glaring holes in the lineup. In most cases I think he had to settle for plan C and D this past summer and it was more of... "Let's see how it goes with these additions" rather than feeling confident that they were going to actually be much better this year and take the next step forward.

There's no simple solutions other than acquiring 1)more gritty, physical, truculent players throughout this lineup of generally small and soft players. 2) acquiring more legit solid top 4 dmen... and not just 1 of those either like another Ference type whose barely a #4... really a #5 on a good team. 3) better goaltending... Dubnyk/Bryzgalov is a temporary experiment but this team hasn't had a bonafide #1 in ages. Right now they are still in "let's see how it goes" mode with the goalies as well.

Old
12-26-2013, 12:42 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

I can't believe some people are still on the whole "we need more draft picks" train.

How many more years of suck do we need? It's sickening seeing the talk of McDavid. It's the line of thinking, the one of tanking for higher picks, that makes this organization a joke.

Old
12-26-2013, 01:08 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Well the plan WAS to tank with Lowe/Tambo implementing that policy as part of the 4-6 year rebuild process. I'm of the strong belief that it was a combination of intentionally not acquiring decent assets to help the tanking process) AND general incompetence in selecting the players they did feel would help fill holes on the roster.

It's hard to separate the deliberate and the unintentional when it comes to why the team is now in the state it is in.

One thing that I think management underestimated was how difficult it is to turn the switch from tank mode to contender mode.

It turns out it's not as simple as saying... "Ok tank mode is over now, we need to acquire solid assets to help come out of this rebuild".

Actually going from tank mode to "coming out of rebuild mode" takes some competence from the pro scouts and management to get REAL NHL assets that will actually improve the team.

MacT isn't dumb but I think he severely underestimated the level of difficulty there would be in acquiring the correct players in the UFA market and through trades to be able to fill the glaring holes in the lineup. In most cases I think he had to settle for plan C and D this past summer and it was more of... "Let's see how it goes with these additions" rather than feeling confident that they were going to actually be much better this year and take the next step forward.

There's no simple solutions other than acquiring 1)more gritty, physical, truculent players throughout this lineup of generally small and soft players. 2) acquiring more legit solid top 4 dmen... and not just 1 of those either like another Ference type whose barely a #4... really a #5 on a good team. 3) better goaltending... Dubnyk/Bryzgalov is a temporary experiment but this team hasn't had a bonafide #1 in ages. Right now they are still in "let's see how it goes" mode with the goalies as well.
very good assessment. they really did think they could simple decide to stop tanking and all would be rosy.

I would add a couple more reasons for why they can't improve: 1. the over-rating of many of the assets they have (Eberle, J. Schultz, Klefbom), and 2. the reluctance to trade any of these assets out of said over-rating of them and fear of looking bad. I mean, how in the h-ll can Klefbom be untouchable? I suppose one could put these under the incompetence leger.

they are a completely paralyzed management team. they haven't a clue what to do other than tank-draft-wait. i don't even know why Katz pays them. oh, actually I do.

Old
12-26-2013, 01:10 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
I can't believe some people are still on the whole "we need more draft picks" train.

How many more years of suck do we need? It's sickening seeing the talk of McDavid. It's the line of thinking, the one of tanking for higher picks, that makes this organization a joke.
well, from Mact's damage control commercial with Stauffer I would say the organization is thinking about 2 or 3 more years.

Old
12-26-2013, 01:18 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
well, from Mact's damage control commercial with Stauffer I would say the organization is thinking about 2 or 3 more years.
So basically the Oilers are going to rebuild the rebuild.

Old
12-26-2013, 02:39 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
So basically the Oilers are going to rebuild the rebuild.
pretty much. or extending it because they were sleeping at the wheel for the first 4 years.

Old
12-26-2013, 09:30 AM

Nvm probably wrong place to post.

Last edited by 5255: 12-26-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old
12-26-2013, 03:14 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

I have to say... I was on board until this summer with the entire rebuild process as I agreed that it was really the only way to possibly build this team back into a perennial contender... I say "possibly" as well because nothing is a certainty and there's 29 other teams trying to win as well... it's always going to be a challenge to win consistently in the NHL... much less win a cup or multiple cups.

With the firing of Tambo and Kreuger though, to me it signalled that management was at least projecting forward that this team was supposed to be moving forward into the next stage into becoming a truly competitive team.

MacT's "Bold" comments and Lowe's "thing or two about winning" diatribe to me was the switch that turned me from "patience and faith" towards "reality and show me the results".

Since last summer and now going forward into the future it's all about the reality of what this team is doing on the ice and in the standings and what moves the management team actually makes to directly and immediately improve the team.

Old
12-26-2013, 04:05 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
McDavid would be so worth it.

Closed Thread