HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2013-2014 Rangers Prospects Thread *Part II* (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 1/31)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-24-2013, 10:42 AM
  #51
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
Doesn't matter a lot but Buchevich was 2+1 in 4-1 win over Germany in pre-WJC game.
Good start nonetheless.

__________________
Ail is offline  
Old
12-24-2013, 10:44 AM
  #52
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,744
vCash: 500
Skjei is a shutdown guy. That's how Lucia uses him in Minnesota and that's how he will be used in the WJC. Skjei had decent offensive numbersin high school before going to US program in Michigan. Skjei was probably the best player in his high school league. McD was an offensive player in high school. He decided to stay in high school instead of going to the US Program. Eaves and Tortorella used McD as a shutdown guy. AV uses him in more offensive situations. Skjei is very much like Hedican who was a great skater like Brady. Didn't have much offense to his game. Good transition player. Make a good first pass like Skjei. Hedican had a very long NHL career. Let's hope Skjei is Hedican. That Vancouver team in 94 became a different team when they added Hedican and Brown from the Blues for Nedved. Both of those players helped the Canucks get the pucks to their forwards. Hedican is good analyst too on the Sharks broadcasts. Bouwmeester isn't a great offensive player but he is a great skater. He is having a very good year with the Blues. Bouwmeester seems to be reborn with the Blues.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
12-24-2013, 11:47 AM
  #53
Raspewtin
MayDeathNeverStopYou
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,315
vCash: 500
To put it nicely, this team is in desperate need of a guy like Brady right now. A great skater who makes good first passes, There are two players on the team capable of that on this team, Del Zotto and Stralman. Arguably McDonagh.

Didn't someone call him the best defensive prospect in college hockey? Or did I just dream that?

__________________

Thank you boys
Raspewtin is online now  
Old
12-24-2013, 12:02 PM
  #54
kovazub94
Registered User
 
kovazub94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 764
vCash: 500
Good segment at the end of Hockey Tonight on Skjei. Sorry it is Brady Two-Times Skjei. : )

kovazub94 is offline  
Old
12-24-2013, 12:25 PM
  #55
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
To put it nicely, this team is in desperate need of a guy like Brady right now. A great skater who makes good first passes, There are two players on the team capable of that on this team, Del Zotto and Stralman. Arguably McDonagh.?
Skjei is much more like McDonagh than like Del Zotto. If he works out, we'll have a second McD. I am hoping for a lite-version of McD.

Beacon is offline  
Old
12-24-2013, 12:41 PM
  #56
Raspewtin
MayDeathNeverStopYou
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Skjei is much more like McDonagh than like Del Zotto. If he works out, we'll have a second McD. I am hoping for a lite-version of McD.
Yes I agree there, but his first pass to spring a forward is sorely lacking on this team.

I'm also not sold that he won't be an offensive producer, his shot is an absolute bullet, almost better than Thomas'. I think he'll top out at 30-35 points a season with a handful of PP time.

If he makes it to the NHL, of course.

Raspewtin is online now  
Old
12-24-2013, 12:44 PM
  #57
JayMan82
Registered User
 
JayMan82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post
Good segment at the end of Hockey Tonight on Skjei. Sorry it is Brady Two-Times Skjei. : )


Was thinking the same thing when I saw it...

JayMan82 is offline  
Old
12-24-2013, 01:02 PM
  #58
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Skjei is a shutdown guy. That's how Lucia uses him in Minnesota and that's how he will be used in the WJC. Skjei had decent offensive numbersin high school before going to US program in Michigan. Skjei was probably the best player in his high school league. McD was an offensive player in high school. He decided to stay in high school instead of going to the US Program. Eaves and Tortorella used McD as a shutdown guy. AV uses him in more offensive situations. Skjei is very much like Hedican who was a great skater like Brady. Didn't have much offense to his game. Good transition player. Make a good first pass like Skjei. Hedican had a very long NHL career. Let's hope Skjei is Hedican. That Vancouver team in 94 became a different team when they added Hedican and Brown from the Blues for Nedved. Both of those players helped the Canucks get the pucks to their forwards. Hedican is good analyst too on the Sharks broadcasts. Bouwmeester isn't a great offensive player but he is a great skater. He is having a very good year with the Blues. Bouwmeester seems to be reborn with the Blues.
Was this just 6 Degrees of Jay Bouwmeester?

JohnC is offline  
Old
12-24-2013, 04:39 PM
  #59
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Yes I agree there, but his first pass to spring a forward is sorely lacking on this team.

I'm also not sold that he won't be an offensive producer, his shot is an absolute bullet, almost better than Thomas'. I think he'll top out at 30-35 points a season with a handful of PP time.

If he makes it to the NHL, of course.
Who's Thomas?

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
12-24-2013, 05:05 PM
  #60
Raspewtin
MayDeathNeverStopYou
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Who's Thomas?
Christian Thomas. Had the best shot in NYR's system by far, wicked one timer. Good comparable.

Raspewtin is online now  
Old
12-24-2013, 05:44 PM
  #61
TheRightWay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,505
vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Who's Thomas?
I hope he means Thomas Pock, because if he's talking about Christian Thomas then it's a ridiculous claim. Skjei's shot is perfectly fine for a two-way defenseman but it's hardly a plus asset.

TheRightWay is offline  
Old
12-24-2013, 05:58 PM
  #62
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,640
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Skjei is a shutdown guy. That's how Lucia uses him in Minnesota and that's how he will be used in the WJC. Skjei had decent offensive numbersin high school before going to US program in Michigan. Skjei was probably the best player in his high school league. McD was an offensive player in high school. He decided to stay in high school instead of going to the US Program. Eaves and Tortorella used McD as a shutdown guy. AV uses him in more offensive situations. Skjei is very much like Hedican who was a great skater like Brady. Didn't have much offense to his game. Good transition player. Make a good first pass like Skjei. Hedican had a very long NHL career. Let's hope Skjei is Hedican. That Vancouver team in 94 became a different team when they added Hedican and Brown from the Blues for Nedved. Both of those players helped the Canucks get the pucks to their forwards. Hedican is good analyst too on the Sharks broadcasts. Bouwmeester isn't a great offensive player but he is a great skater. He is having a very good year with the Blues. Bouwmeester seems to be reborn with the Blues.
Bouwmeester seems like a good comparable style-wise. Getting a player like Hedican in Skjei would also be great.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline  
Old
12-24-2013, 09:18 PM
  #63
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,865
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
I hope he means Thomas Pock, because if he's talking about Christian Thomas then it's a ridiculous claim. Skjei's shot is perfectly fine for a two-way defenseman but it's hardly a plus asset.
He has a plus shot for a defenseman in terms of power. It's not lightning quick by any means, but it's accurate and he gets it on net. It's absolutely an asset. It remains to be seen whether or not the rest of his offensive game develops enough to allow him to use the shot, but it's still a noteworthy tool.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
12-24-2013, 09:30 PM
  #64
Raspewtin
MayDeathNeverStopYou
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He has a plus shot for a defenseman in terms of power. It's not lightning quick by any means, but it's accurate and he gets it on net. It's absolutely an asset. It remains to be seen whether or not the rest of his offensive game develops enough to allow him to use the shot, but it's still a noteworthy tool.
Yeah, this.

Might have overstated it a bit but Skjei would easily have the best shot on this team, one we're sorely lacking.

Raspewtin is online now  
Old
12-24-2013, 09:37 PM
  #65
TheRightWay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,505
vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He has a plus shot for a defenseman in terms of power. It's not lightning quick by any means, but it's accurate and he gets it on net. It's absolutely an asset. It remains to be seen whether or not the rest of his offensive game develops enough to allow him to use the shot, but it's still a noteworthy tool.
Yeah, for a defenseman. Christian Thomas was named the best shot in the OHL. Brady Skjei probably isn't even getting PP minutes for USA. His shot is fine in terms of getting it on net from the point, but it's not something that's going to wow anyone. It's not a PLUS asset. I didn't say it's not an asset. It's not anything that's going to particularly stand out in the way that it does for a Shea Weber or Drew Doughty. No, Skjei would not have the best shot on our team. That's absurd.

TheRightWay is offline  
Old
12-24-2013, 11:02 PM
  #66
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Yeah, this.

Might have overstated it a bit but Skjei would easily have the best shot on this team, one we're sorely lacking.
I highly, highly, highly doubt that. How could you make that statement?

Barnaby is offline  
Old
12-24-2013, 11:24 PM
  #67
Raspewtin
MayDeathNeverStopYou
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
I highly, highly, highly doubt that. How could you make that statement?
This is more attributed to nobody on this team has a good slapshot/one timer. From watching him? Just watch him when the WJC comes on, his shot is very solid.

Raspewtin is online now  
Old
12-25-2013, 10:09 AM
  #68
Green Blob*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
To put it nicely, this team is in desperate need of a guy like Brady right now. A great skater who makes good first passes, There are two players on the team capable of that on this team, Del Zotto and Stralman. Arguably McDonagh.

Didn't someone call him the best defensive prospect in college hockey? Or did I just dream that?
Del Zotto and Stralman are great skaters? At best they are both average skaters. Mcd and Moore are great skaters.

Stralmans first pass is above average and Del Zotto's is so hit or miss that there is no way i'd consider it a great first pass. Staal might have the best first pass out of the zone on the team.

Green Blob* is offline  
Old
12-25-2013, 10:35 AM
  #69
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,223
vCash: 500
When you guys say that Skjei is a "shutdown" defenseman, do you mean literally or just that he's a defensive defenseman? Meaning are his D skills elite for a player his age, which is what I'd consider "shutdown". How does he compare to Staal (who was a man amongst boys) and McDonagh at the same age?

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
12-25-2013, 10:50 AM
  #70
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
When you guys say that Skjei is a "shutdown" defenseman, do you mean literally or just that he's a defensive defenseman? Meaning are his D skills elite for a player his age, which is what I'd consider "shutdown". How does he compare to Staal (who was a man amongst boys) and McDonagh at the same age?
We'll know officially in a few days, if the groundhog sees his shadow (if Pierre calls him the "Human Eraser").

I think that title will be going to Ekblad though.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline  
Old
12-25-2013, 10:57 AM
  #71
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,283
vCash: 500
Personally, I don't think it's a reach at all to project Skjei's upside DEFENSIVELY as comparable to what McDonagh is now.

McDonagh was an elite offensive defenseman in HS. That's how he won Mr Hockey. Always a good skater with pretty good puck skills. He was seen as a bit of a "raw" or "tools" prospect, which is one of the reasons why he didn't even make the WJC post-draft as a 12th overall pick. Really improved and focused on the defensive side of his game at Wisco. Ironically this focus on defense is often cited as why Montreal was willing to part with him. His offensive game was "stagnating". Then he made the NHL on skating and defense. Now we are starting to see his offensive abilities develop and shine through at the NHL level. As he gets comfortable.

Skjei does not have the same ceiling offensively as McDonagh, IMO. Mostly due to hands and vision, his shot is good. Just natural offensive instincts are not there in the same way they were with McD. But if he develops well I think he could definitely play like McDonagh in the defensive zone, winning footraces to counter odd man rushes, and hopefully in transition. He is also a "tools" prospect. Development curve has not been too far off of McD thus far...but I just don't think he has the same innate offensive ability.

Staal was an absolute beast his last year in juniors, especially in the playoffs. Man child. Chara of the OHL. Neither Skjei or honestly McDonagh were like that at their respective levels though the NCAA is a different animal entirely. But Staal was the total package offensively and defensively.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is online now  
Old
12-25-2013, 11:06 AM
  #72
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Personally, I don't think it's a reach at all to project Skjei's upside DEFENSIVELY as comparable to what McDonagh is now.

McDonagh was an elite offensive defenseman in HS. That's how he won Mr Hockey. Always a good skater with pretty good puck skills. He was seen as a bit of a "raw" or "tools" prospect, which is one of the reasons why he didn't even make the WJC post-draft as a 12th overall pick. Really improved and focused on the defensive side of his game at Wisco. Ironically this focus on defense is often cited as why Montreal was willing to part with him. His offensive game was "stagnating". Then he made the NHL on skating and defense. Now we are starting to see his offensive abilities develop and shine through at the NHL level. As he gets comfortable.

Skjei does not have the same ceiling offensively as McDonagh, IMO. Mostly due to hands and vision, his shot is good. Just natural offensive instincts are not there in the same way they were with McD. But if he develops well I think he could definitely play like McDonagh in the defensive zone, winning footraces to counter odd man rushes, and hopefully in transition. He is also a "tools" prospect. Development curve has not been too far off of McD thus far...but I just don't think he has the same innate offensive ability.

Staal was an absolute beast his last year in juniors, especially in the playoffs. Man child. Chara of the OHL. Neither Skjei or honestly McDonagh were like that at their respective levels though the NCAA is a different animal entirely. But Staal was the total package offensively and defensively.
Definitely not Staal level (best OHL defenseman), but McDonagh was a monster his junior year at Wisconsin.

A wrecking ball as well.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline  
Old
12-25-2013, 12:00 PM
  #73
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,865
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
Yeah, for a defenseman. Christian Thomas was named the best shot in the OHL. Brady Skjei probably isn't even getting PP minutes for USA. His shot is fine in terms of getting it on net from the point, but it's not something that's going to wow anyone. It's not a PLUS asset. I didn't say it's not an asset. It's not anything that's going to particularly stand out in the way that it does for a Shea Weber or Drew Doughty. No, Skjei would not have the best shot on our team. That's absurd.
I disagree. For a defenseman, his shot is a plus tool. Yeah, it's not on par with Weber or Chara, but those guys have an elite tool (or plus-plus, if we're using baseball scouting terms).

It wouldn't be the best on the team, I agree. It might be the best amongst our defenseman though.

nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
12-25-2013, 12:05 PM
  #74
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,439
vCash: 500
I think Staal played two WJCs without being on the ice for a goal against. Him and Parent (sp?) pwned everyone.

Ola is offline  
Old
12-25-2013, 12:13 PM
  #75
Raspewtin
MayDeathNeverStopYou
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
Del Zotto and Stralman are great skaters? At best they are both average skaters. Mcd and Moore are great skaters.

Stralmans first pass is above average and Del Zotto's is so hit or miss that there is no way i'd consider it a great first pass. Staal might have the best first pass out of the zone on the team.
Didn't mean to call them good skaters, I meant their first-passes.

I'd have agreed with you on Staal's a year ago. Now it seems whenever he passes the puck it's a turnover, before his injury of course. DZ's is hit or miss, but when it's a hit, it's a real hit. He's at least capable of doing it. Moore and Girardi's passes 70% of the time are instant turnovers.

Raspewtin is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.