HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sticks: What do you use, what do you love/hate, and what's next?

Old
12-24-2013, 12:12 AM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquenstein View Post
Hey guys,

I got a quick question. I have the chance to pick up some Easton EQ 50 for cheap. Thing is the curve, it's a P6. I have never played that curve. I usually play a Getzlaf/Lidstrom curve. I looked up the blade patterns on Hockeymonkey and the Lidstrom/P5 curve and the P6 curve seem to be the same except for the square toe on the P5. Can anyone confirm this, or are there some significant differences?

Sorry for my bad english, it's late, I'm european and drunk
Love the reasoning lol
Its kind of close. The P6 isn't as deep as the Getzlaf but you shouldn't have too much trouble adjusting add they are both open heel curves.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

Man I love my ccm rbz hossa curve... I think I like it more than my Bauer apx toews

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 05:49 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Here's my all-time favorite stick:

Bauer Vapor X:60, 75 flex P92

Don't know what you got 'til it's gone...lightest stick I've ever used, best balanced, quickest release, and the dual kick points seemed to work great. Lasted me probably 50 skates and a full calendar year of service.

This one felt fairly true to flex as the top hand kick point was great for wristers and the bottom kick point added a little bit too. Puck feel was okay (a bit pingy), really the only complaint.
Try the Total One at either an 87 or a 102 flex, I also liked the X:60 but like the TO even better. I use a P88 (kane) curve with a 102 flex.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2013, 07:24 AM
izzy3

After a few outings with my new 20k: awesome pop and lightning quick release. Seems to load very fast and effortless. Puck feel is very pingy, but the blade is so rigid I think that's the price you pay for hard shots. I have the full grip version which is a bit too much for me, still my stickhandling doesn't seem to suffer (sucks anyway). Hope it holds up through this season!

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2013, 01:09 PM
29MacKinnon29
Nate the Great

vCash: 50
Has anyone tried the Easton V9 yet? I heard they're similar to the Mako. The V9E is similar to the RS2? I've been using the RS and RS2 for the last couple years and they have wicked pop.

29MacKinnon29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2013, 02:47 PM
robmneilson

I loved the Bauer X:60 but they always kept breaking right in the middle of my blade. There was even a time I didn't put on new tape for two games and then afterwards discovered the stick felt weird due to a full crack down the middle. That being said I still bought more and went through three of them.

Now I'm using the Easton Mako 85flex with a hall curve and love it, but much like the x:60 they break ALL THE TIME. I guess that's the curse of using a stick that light.

I think next I'm going to go with an Easton RS. Played around with one in the rink shop the other day and it felt nice. Anyone have any love/hate for it?

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Torquenstein

I got myself a Pro Stock EQ50 for christmas. I was a bit sceptical because the onlye had it in a P6 curve and I usually play the P5, but they look to be exactly the same, minus the Suqare toe. I fired a few shots on dryland and liked it a lot. Can'f wait to test it on the ice.

Torquenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2013, 07:40 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

I was thinking about getting the Vapor X60, but am now turned off that it breaks easily.

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2013, 08:50 PM
Znith

Hey guys, I'm a goalie moving to player. I have an Easton EQ50, which is an OK stick, looking to add a second stick to the arsenal. I'm a defenceman and 6'3 230, I want a stick that is great for passing and clappers. I currently have an Iginla curve and I'm not a huge fan of it, too much curve.

Wants:
- long stick
- good for clappers
- flat toe (not rounded)
- not too much curve
- $100-170

What do you suggest?

Znith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2013, 09:41 PM
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znith View Post
Hey guys, I'm a goalie moving to player. I have an Easton EQ50, which is an OK stick, looking to add a second stick to the arsenal. I'm a defenceman and 6'3 230, I want a stick that is great for passing and clappers. I currently have an Iginla curve and I'm not a huge fan of it, too much curve.

Wants:
- long stick
- good for clappers
- flat toe (not rounded)
- not too much curve
- $100-170

What do you suggest?
In that price range, you can get a Warrior Widow, which was used in the NHL in 2011. It sells for $130 US. It's 63 inches long (which is the longest a stick can be by NHL standards). Get it with a Lidstrom curve, it's a mid heel curve with a square toe with very little loft.

If I were you, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2013, 10:11 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
In that price range, you can get a Warrior Widow, which was used in the NHL in 2011. It sells for $130 US. It's 63 inches long (which is the longest a stick can be by NHL standards). Get it with a Lidstrom curve, it's a mid heel curve with a square toe with very little loft.

That'll be more curve than the iginla. The only pattern with less curve would be the Pm9 clones. Those are pretty much flat, but you won't get a square toe.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2013, 11:43 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Duchene View Post
Has anyone tried the Easton V9 yet? I heard they're similar to the Mako. The V9E is similar to the RS2? I've been using the RS and RS2 for the last couple years and they have wicked pop.
Some friends and I have, thanks to the great pro deal Easton offered when they were released. I didn't buy one, but got to try his and enjoyed it.

With that said, he's broken three of them since the beginning of the year. He's a big guy who plays very high level hockey, but he's still breaking them more than he likes. Loves the stick though.

I'm not a burly guy in the least and rarely break sticks at all, so I'm looking into getting one. Tough to convince myself though when I still love my APX's and want a Nexus 1000 more.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 01:48 AM
vickpeterson

Quote:

Is that measuring the shaft or shaft+blade? Becuase I got the Warrior Dynasty a few days ago and I got it cut. In my rush, I forgot to figure out how much inches they cut off, so that I can figure out the flex or in case i want to cut it again.

Now, I'm 5'11 and the stick was to my eyebrows uncut. Now it's literally right under my nose, and the shaft is 59 inches long while the whole stick is about 65 inches long. If the stick is 63 inches long, it doesn't seem to add up either way.

And can someone clear up the whole "If you cut 3 inches off Warrior sticks that are 63 inches, the flex is not affected" myth? Isn't that impossible?

vickpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 02:42 AM
CarpeNoctem
I Pity #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickpeterson View Post
Is that measuring the shaft or shaft+blade? Becuase I got the Warrior Dynasty a few days ago and I got it cut. In my rush, I forgot to figure out how much inches they cut off, so that I can figure out the flex or in case i want to cut it again.

Now, I'm 5'11 and the stick was to my eyebrows uncut. Now it's literally right under my nose, and the shaft is 59 inches long while the whole stick is about 65 inches long. If the stick is 63 inches long, it doesn't seem to add up either way.

And can someone clear up the whole "If you cut 3 inches off Warrior sticks that are 63 inches, the flex is not affected" myth? Isn't that impossible?
That statement is correct and several companies have done it. They made the very top of the shaft a dead zone, e.g. it is "flex free" and will not impact the rest of the stick when cut for a certain length.

CarpeNoctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 04:27 PM
OpenIceHit42

Any input on the RBK 16k SicKick? I'm currently using a Bauer One6 w/ a Backstrom pattern and looking at the 16k SicKick at my LHS. I have not used a RBK stick outside of a wood one when they first came out

Last edited by OpenIceHit42: 12-26-2013 at 09:28 PM.
OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 05:39 PM
AIREAYE

I thought it is a pretty decent mid-end stick with good low kick. Should complement your mid-kick Supreme well.

Old
12-26-2013, 06:29 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

So as my knowledge goes..

under $100- Low end stick
$100-$200- mid-range stick
$200+- high end stick

This accuracte?

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 08:01 PM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I thought it is a pretty decent mid-end stick with good low kick. Should complement your mid-kick Supreme well.
Any feedback on the RBK blades? I've heard they can be janky at times. For the price point of $68 at my LHS it's almost impossible to pass up.

Another question, I see that the Backstrom Bauer pattern is comparable to RBK Crosby A87 and I'm wondering how comparable is the Datsyuk to the Backstrom?

Sorry for all of the questions, it would be easy to go into the store and check all this out but I'm purchasing on their website and the Boxing Day sale ends tonight..

Last edited by OpenIceHit42: 12-26-2013 at 09:29 PM.
OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Puckstop40
Registered Avs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Duchene View Post
It is my favorite stick. I have been using mine since they launched and it has held up well for me so far. I can't say enough good things about the E36 curve. It has every thing I want in a curve and is very versatile.

Puckstop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 10:36 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch for the Yeti View Post
So as my knowledge goes..

under $100- Low end stick
$100-$200- mid-range stick
$200+- high end stick

This accuracte?
If you want to really simplify yeah, but there could be $170 sticks which are top end and $80 sticks which are fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
Any feedback on the RBK blades? I've heard they can be janky at times. For the price point of $68 at my LHS it's almost impossible to pass up.

Another question, I see that the Backstrom Bauer pattern is comparable to RBK Crosby A87 and I'm wondering how comparable is the Datsyuk to the Backstrom?

Sorry for all of the questions, it would be easy to go into the store and check all this out but I'm purchasing on their website and the Boxing Day sale ends tonight..
I haven't noticed any trend about poor Reebok blades.

The Datsyuk has a deep mid pocket that doesn't open up as much as the Backstrom does. The P87A Crosby/RNH is very close to Backstrom, but with a slightly shallower hook and more heel involved.

Old
12-26-2013, 10:51 PM
TatarTangle

Honest question as a 20+ year goalie but skate out and play at a relatively high-level. Does a $$$ stick make that much of a difference than a $ stick?

I sell golf equipment and for the most part it really doesn't matter if it's a $ club or a $$$ club long as you have the correct flex. Essentially, you're either good or you have a loft problem. Loft = Lack Of (mod edit) Talent. I bought some $50 Winwell.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 12-26-2013 at 11:28 PM. Reason: filter issues.
TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 11:45 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeNoctem View Post
That statement is correct and several companies have done it. They made the very top of the shaft a dead zone, e.g. it is "flex free" and will not impact the rest of the stick when cut for a certain length.
what it really means is that the stick will play softer than the flex listed unless you cut it down 3 inches. so if your going to use the stick at its full length, expect around 10 less flex. so a 85 would play around a 75 flex

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 11:53 PM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
Try the Total One at either an 87 or a 102 flex, I also liked the X:60 but like the TO even better. I use a P88 (kane) curve with a 102 flex.
I think Jarick is the last person here who will be convinced to switch to a higher flex haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmneilson View Post
I loved the Bauer X:60 but they always kept breaking right in the middle of my blade. There was even a time I didn't put on new tape for two games and then afterwards discovered the stick felt weird due to a full crack down the middle. That being said I still bought more and went through three of them.

Now I'm using the Easton Mako 85flex with a hall curve and love it, but much like the x:60 they break ALL THE TIME. I guess that's the curse of using a stick that light.

I think next I'm going to go with an Easton RS. Played around with one in the rink shop the other day and it felt nice. Anyone have any love/hate for it?
Very, very poor blade durability on the RS. RS2 is supposedly better but I probably won't buy Easton sticks for a while now until they sort things out. Even the V9/V9E series apparently have durability problems. Surprised you have problems with the x:60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Some friends and I have, thanks to the great pro deal Easton offered when they were released. I didn't buy one, but got to try his and enjoyed it.

With that said, he's broken three of them since the beginning of the year. He's a big guy who plays very high level hockey, but he's still breaking them more than he likes. Loves the stick though.

I'm not a burly guy in the least and rarely break sticks at all, so I'm looking into getting one. Tough to convince myself though when I still love my APX's and want a Nexus 1000 more.
"Location: Ottawa"

Sportchek has Nexus 1000s on sale for 139.99 this week.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 01:31 AM
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha

Bought a Bauer Vapor APX today for $200, griptac, 87 flex, P08. Can't wait to try it.
Any thoughts on the APX stick (durability, performance) ?

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 03:38 AM
nikhilmtl

Quote:
Bought a Bauer Vapor APX today for $200, griptac, 87 flex, P08. Can't wait to try it.
Any thoughts on the APX stick (durability, performance) ?
The APX or APX2?

nikhilmtl is offline   Reply With Quote