HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GM Search: Part II (Tim Murray to be named GM)

Closed Thread

Old
12-24-2013, 09:49 PM
Old Navy Goat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

Is it also possibility that in the pursuit of looking under every stone, that the right guy was turned off by the whole process and passes on the job?
I think that's highly improbably. Considering there's an extreme shortage of GM jobs and they don't open very often; anyone aspiring to that position wouldn't decide to not take the job in a hissy fit because Patty La took too long to decide.

Old
12-24-2013, 09:58 PM
slip

Quote:
No more than you or anyone else knows what the right amount of time is.

Humor me, is it possible that the 3rd guy interviewed WAS the right guy.

Is it also possibility that in the pursuit of looking under every stone, that the right guy was turned off by the whole process and passes on the job?

Theres a line when Due diligence becomes incompetence
The fact that Nolan has proved effective at whipping this sad roster into something resembling and NHL hockey team reflects positively on PL's decision making abilities. Way too early to panic, but I expect league-wide ridicule of the process to grow regardless.

Old
12-24-2013, 10:28 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
I think it's pretty funny that you have no idea as to what the hell is going on but portray yourself as if you do.
I have no idea what's going on. But I'm not going to simply drink the kool aid during an unorthodox process.

Old
12-24-2013, 10:32 PM
Jame
Dream '16

If they hire Benning can we agree that the protracted search was a joke?

Old
12-24-2013, 10:50 PM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
No. May I remind you this is an NHL GM job? Dude.

Quote:
This makes absolutely no sense. I mean none. Sounds nice though, like something close to that was a saying at some point.

Here's one of mine:

"Teamwork is the dog that bit you."

Quote:
No. Jame come on. Have you ever conducted a search for a job candidate? I've found people that were right for the job after the first interview, but conducting more interviews is healthy and conductive to making your organization better.

To summarize: you're way off on this one.

Old
12-24-2013, 11:01 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
The GM search is turning into a circus sideshow. At this point, I think most people are fed up with the lack of decision making by the Sabres leadership and they're coming off like they have no idea what they want or what they're supposed to be doing.

I wish DR would've just fired Ron Rolston so we could've avoided this nonsense.
I wish Darcy would've realized the damage his coach was doing to this team's development. That was a fatal mistake by Darcy . If he would've taken the time to make an educated coaching hire, then he'd still be the gm of the Buffalo Sabres.

I would rather have kept Regier, and fired the coach, but i wonder if upper management had a say in firing Ruff. Once Rolston started to kill this team's chemistry and depth management saw a trend, and didn't believe Regier was capable of hiring a worthy coach.

Old
12-24-2013, 11:15 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
I think I'll be much more comfortable with a Benning hire if he decides to keep Devine and crew around, especially for the next 2 drafts (which seems reasonable, as I think Devine reported to Benning when Benning was Scouting Director here).

Granted, when Benning was here before the scouting department had WAY different restrictions placed on it.....and he did OK with 1st rounders Ballard, Vanek and Stafford.

I do wonder though if LaFontaine is insisting that any new GM keep Devine on......and thus maybe it's defaulting to Benning?

I think I'd be OK with a Benning/Devine pair.

Old
12-24-2013, 11:20 PM
Beerz

I for one want a GM as soon as possible. Be diligent all you want... but man speed up the process..You can interview more than one guy a week or two. There is no "right way" to hire someone but when you are almost midseason in.. you want a guy in place...decisions need to be made.. trade deadline coming up..draft..player evaluations..ect.

I think what is needed right now for me anyways...is clarity. What is the direction of this team. Are the next 2 drafts really the most important things going forward for this organization as previously stated...and what I mean by that is..are we still tanking? .. I don't seem to be getting that impression anymore..It feels like they are riding the high of improving a horrendous team..in to just a bad team..competent but still not very good and the fan base is eating it up.

Reiger had a goal...to gain the top picks in the next two drafts and he purposely constructed the team to do just that... I'm beginning to think it was a mistake to let Darcy go.

Old
12-24-2013, 11:41 PM
BananaSquad

I dont care who it is, I just hope he keeps Nolan as coach.

Old
12-25-2013, 02:15 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
I think it's funny how many people assume taking a long time = the right way to do it
I think it's funny how many people assume taking a long time = not the right way.

Old
12-25-2013, 08:36 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
I wish Darcy would've realized the damage his coach was doing to this team's development. That was a fatal mistake by Darcy . If he would've taken the time to make an educated coaching hire, then he'd still be the gm of the Buffalo Sabres.

I would rather have kept Regier, and fired the coach, but i wonder if upper management had a say in firing Ruff. Once Rolston started to kill this team's chemistry and depth management saw a trend, and didn't believe Regier was capable of hiring a worthy coach.
It was more than that with Regier. His forcing all those unprepared kids into the lineup ended up being his downfall.

Old
12-25-2013, 08:54 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
I for one want a GM as soon as possible. Be diligent all you want... but man speed up the process..You can interview more than one guy a week or two. There is no "right way" to hire someone but when you are almost midseason in.. you want a guy in place...decisions need to be made.. trade deadline coming up..draft..player evaluations..ect.
Its tough to carry out this process mid season when some candidates you really like aren't allowed by their teams to be interviewed. It creates a situation where a decision may have to be made without every candidate you wanted in the mix.

Quote:
I think what is needed right now for me anyways...is clarity. What is the direction of this team. Are the next 2 drafts really the most important things going forward for this organization as previously stated...and what I mean by that is..are we still tanking? .. I don't seem to be getting that impression anymore..It feels like they are riding the high of improving a horrendous team..in to just a bad team..competent but still not very good and the fan base is eating it up.
What exactly has you confused? Yes the next two drafts are a priority but not in the "we need to pick #1 at all costs" way you want. Its about the importance of hitting on as many picks in the first two rounds as possible.

We are rebuilding for the future not trying to lose for a top pick (tanking). I know for some that is semantics but the difference is as obvious as the team before Patty/Ted and what they are now.

-The youngsters are where they should have been at the start of the season. Now they can develop properly.

-We are working to create the proper culture in the lockerroom of accountability and hard work. As opposed to just handing spots to unprepared kids to "see what they can do".

-Part of making the above happen is using the waiver wire and trading late picks for filler like Dags and Omark. Things that should have been done before the season by Regier.

Quote:
Reiger had a goal...to gain the top picks in the next two drafts and he purposely constructed the team to do just that... I'm beginning to think it was a mistake to let Darcy go.
The top priority when rebuilding is proper development of prospects. Throwing a bunch of unprepared kids into the lineup to hopefully pick first was an incredibly stupid thing to do. It rightfully got him fired.

Thankfully he was **** canned before he could botch the handling of more youngsters like he did Grigs.

Last edited by joshjull: 12-25-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old
12-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
It was more than that with Regier. His forcing all those unprepared kids into the lineup ended up being his downfall.
I agree. I was extremely vocal over the summer about Regier bringing in some more veterans. I remember him talking about getting some scoring veterans. Not sure what happened, but i was disappointed.

Old
12-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Djp

Quote:
No more than you or anyone else knows what the right amount of time is.

Quote:
I have no idea what's going on. But I'm not going to simply drink the kool aid during an unorthodox process.
Quote:

Do you want to hire the best person possible out there or do you want to hire the best person you can find among those you could talk to or hire?

I have said before I think some teams arent allowing Buffalo to speak with candidates. I think part of this has been a push back by some teams who want to get compensated for hiring their staff.

Given the limited # of GM jobs I highly doubt anyone would say sorry but im not taking the job because it took to long. Another factor here is competition. Its not often GMs are fired during the season. So when a job opens up, a team can take awhile in their search. A team can function without a GM during the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post

I agree Darcy was doing the intentional tank to get a #1 or #2.

Buffalo does needs to get some top 5 picks over the next 2 drafts.

I wouldnt read too much into their current streak of improvement. The start of the season was top heavy where Buffalo played 20 of 25 against the top half of the league teams, Now they are in a stretch of playing only about 5 of 25 against those same top half of the league. Come the end of January it gets worse again playing more top half of the teams and playing a heavy road schedule with 2 more western trips to do.

Old
12-25-2013, 02:22 PM
hizzoner

Just about everyone we are talking about is a reach. Until someone has time on the job as THE MAN we really do not know. We have less to go on than we do in guessing on the draft. I could not tell you how much say the new guy will have on any of a number of issues--administrative, scouting, trades, budget, drafting, HR, public relations....Since I do not know how much influence they were accorded in their own jobs, nor what say they will have in the new one, I will just grit my teeth and hope our new guy has what it takes....

Old
12-26-2013, 02:03 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
Seems that Sabre fans are the only people in the world that believe Benning doesn't deserve a chance as GM.

Old
12-26-2013, 08:07 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 View Post
No. May I remind you this is an NHL GM job? Dude.
oh right, something you know about

Quote:
This makes absolutely no sense. I mean none. Sounds nice though, like something close to that was a saying at some point.
it makes plenty of sense... if they haven't hired a GM by draft day, are they still doing their due diligence, or are they simply incompetent?

Quote:
No. Jame come on. Have you ever conducted a search for a job candidate? I've found people that were right for the job after the first interview, but conducting more interviews is healthy and conductive to making your organization better.
How long? How long after you found the right person did you continue to do interviews for the job without hiring said person?

How long until the unfilled position began to affect your business?

How long until someone else jumped into the competition for said "right person"?

Quote:
To summarize: you're way off on this one.
To Summarize : You're still riding the kool aid wave of change

Old
12-26-2013, 08:13 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Do you want to hire the best person possible out there or do you want to hire the best person you can find among those you could talk to or hire?
the latter, easily the latter... we're not hiring a brain surgeon.

Old
12-26-2013, 08:19 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Seems that Sabre fans are the only people in the world that believe Benning doesn't deserve a chance as GM.
Im fine with Benning... I just think his selection would make the whole process look like a big joke where Lafontaine was simply picking the brains of a bunch of guys around the league, while never really intending to hire any of them, as we once again, go back to our own well for an important position (its becoming comical)

just hire someone before the olympic break...

Old
12-26-2013, 08:30 AM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Im fine with Benning... I just think his selection would make the whole process look like a big joke where Lafontaine was simply picking the brains of a bunch of guys around the league, while never really intending to hire any of them, as we once again, go back to our own well for an important position (its becoming comical)

The way you make that sound is that you feel there is no way benning could just be considered the best for the job. Maybe after all these interviews he comes to feel that way

Old
12-26-2013, 08:37 AM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
If a guy turns town the GM job because of how long it took before a decision was made then good ****ing riddance, we don't want that guy.

Old
12-26-2013, 09:34 AM
Splintered Sherwood

I have no cause for concern that the search is taking long.

I would be concerned, however, if LaFontaine has contacted Wang to see if he can interview Snow's protege, he has been waiting all this time for Jay Feaster to become available, or he wants access to the Ranger's capologist to be the new GM. If any of those scenarios are in play, then yes, I would be concerned.

Old
12-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:

That implies if they hire Benning it means they always intended to, which is a fairly silly assumption to make

Old
12-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
That implies if they hire Benning it means they always intended to, which is a fairly silly assumption to make
I don't think it's that silly given the history of hiring

Old
12-26-2013, 10:18 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
I don't think it's that silly given the history of hiring
What history of hiring are you speaking of?

Closed Thread