HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

St. Louis re-signs Alex Steen [3 yrs/$17.4M/$5.8 AAV]

Old
12-20-2013, 12:22 AM
jaems

vCash: 500
If he keeps this pace over this next few seasons, this contract is a steal. If he reverts back, it's still a fair price. Great signing.

jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 07:02 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Wow, Patrick Sharp money, good player though.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 07:33 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Point-per-game players are re-upping for $8m, no reason Steen shouldn't get at least $5m. Add in what St. Louis fans are saying about his defense, etc... and $5.8 seems like the perfect amount.

I imagine he'll spend most, if not all, of these 3 years on a line with Backes & Oshie? If so, I don't see his production dropping much at all.
G finally has started to come though as a dominant player that he should be. I think thats what deserves the 8 mill. So if Steen continues to play this well, then yes this is a good deal. Its obviously not a steal in anyway.

However, being from philly has shown me that players usually dont live up to these deals. Its FAR more likely that Steen is playing well in a contract year vs just playing well. Not saying he is a bad person but that seems to be a fairly constant trend. I would expect him to no live up to this deal myself. But as others have said once the cap goes up its not a huge deal. especially considering the deals you guys got on Dmen.

TheKingPin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 07:43 AM
michi510

So glad to see he's doing well. Always wished he could have turned out to be as good as he is when he was in TO. Always seemed like a great team player and community guy!

michi510 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 08:06 AM
Zobitembois

Massive overpayment. And I like the Blues and Steen, he's consistent for several years. But let's be honest, we all know this season isn't representative of Steen's level. I would love to be wrong and to witness Steen leading the Blues the next three years but I cant' see it happen.
By the way, I didn't know Steen was only 29. I pictured hime in his early-mid 30's.

Zobitembois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 08:59 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zobitembois View Post
Massive overpayment. And I like the Blues and Steen, he's consistent for several years. But let's be honest, we all know this season isn't representative of Steen's level. I would love to be wrong and to witness Steen leading the Blues the next three years but I cant' see it happen.
By the way, I didn't know Steen was only 29. I pictured hime in his early-mid 30's.
It may be a bit of an overpayment, but it's not massive at all.

Steen is one of those players that the Blues cannot afford to give up. As many before me have stated, he's a worthwhile investment even when he is not scoring. He makes everyone better, so with cap room looming, the Blues took advantage and locked him up.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 09:46 AM
topnotch

Quote:
If Steen was consistently playing at his current level he would get ~7-8 million. Sure, if Steen regresses back to ~40-50 seasons he will be slightly overpaid, by ~1 million. But the Blues got a heck of a steal on the term length in exchange for that small cap-hit risk. This is a good contract.

With the cap going up to ~71 million next year and then probably making another 6-7 million jump the following year, players' salaries will increase greatly. UFAs-to-be will be cashing in.

topnotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 10:49 AM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Watch him play and then decide what he's worth. This isn't a guy cashing in on lucky bounces and some superb playmaker doing the all the work.

SteenMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 10:54 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Starting with the season after he was traded here, he's scored 189 points in 256 games, a 61 point pace over an entire season. Is 256 games a big enough sample size for you?
But how many years has he scored 60 points (actual points, not the magical on pace for points)?

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 10:59 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
But how many years has he scored 60 points (actual points, not the magical on pace for points)?
He actually scored 189 points in 256 actual games.

Now it's 191 in 257.

Last edited by bleedblue1223: 12-20-2013 at 11:06 AM.
bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 11:02 AM
SteenMachine

Quote:
What kinda ****** GM pays players for things that happened 4 years ago? He was getting paid what he earned in the past and now he's earned a raise and got it early.

SteenMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 11:05 AM
topnotch

Quote:
Other than this season, which bleedblue is including while excluding Steen's '08-'09 season with the Blues, Steen has NEVER been on pace for 60 points let alone hit 60 in any season.

Before this year, Steen was a ~50s point player (if fully healthy) who would consistently miss games.

topnotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 11:25 AM
TK 421
Donut Squad

vCash: 758
Quote:
It tells me more than enough that you find PPG a "magical" concept. It's called using basic math to gain a better idea of how productive a player is. As opposed to your own analysis of "He didn't hit 60, **** context, derp."

Btw, I get he's never paced at 60 either. His best season was 51 points in 72 games prior to this season.

Last edited by TK 421: 12-20-2013 at 11:43 AM.
TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 11:50 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post
It tells me more than enough that you find PPG a "magical" concept. It's called using basic math to gain a better idea of how productive a player is. As opposed to your own analysis of "He didn't hit 60, **** context, derp."

Btw, I get he's never paced at 60 either. His best season was 51 points in 72 games prior to this season.
It is not a magical concept. Either he hits 60 points in a season or he doesn't.

Inductive reasoning is a ***** and you can't assume that he would get those goals and points because HE NEVER GOT THEM.

Old
12-20-2013, 12:02 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
It is not a magical concept. Either he hits 60 points in a season or he doesn't.

Inductive reasoning is a ***** and you can't assume that he would get those goals and points because HE NEVER GOT THEM.
If you're pacing up, then you kind of have a point, but 191 points in his last 257 Blues regular season games is pacing down.

He looks like a different player this year and if he finds middle ground between this season and his 58 point pace of some of his previous seasons, he'll be a 65 point player.

With the cap going up, he is being paid fairly without this season. He was always going to make more than Weiss, Filppula, Clowe, and Clarkson on the open market and the news of the projected cap made a more significant increase.

Old
12-20-2013, 01:04 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

I'm one of those guys who don't like this whole pace stuff too.
but if you wanna use it with Alexander Steen it is working against him.

how many times has he been hot till a freaking injury hit him and just as pretty much every human he needed time after the injury to be his old self? and how often has he been used as a spark on the 2nd or 3rd line just because he is a guy that gets everyone going? for sure his point totals got down without regular line-mates and position or you think its conspiracy that he is so successful this year when its the first time he gets regular first-line mins with first-line mates?!

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 02:15 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
If you're pacing up, then you kind of have a point, but 191 points in his last 257 Blues regular season games is pacing down.

He looks like a different player this year and if he finds middle ground between this season and his 58 point pace of some of his previous seasons, he'll be a 65 point player.

With the cap going up, he is being paid fairly without this season. He was always going to make more than Weiss, Filppula, Clowe, and Clarkson on the open market and the news of the projected cap made a more significant increase.
Never even said he wasn't worth it. I guess I just have a personal vendetta against the on pace for quotes people use often (Getzlaf is a 90 point player as an example).

He has put up a certain amount of points in a certain amount of games for the Blues. But he also has a problem staying healthy. Being healthy and regressing to his average (actually slightly above) would make it a fine deal considering his 2 way play.

Old
12-20-2013, 02:33 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

I agree that durability is legitimate concern with the money we are giving him, and one that I have myself.

Old
12-20-2013, 03:03 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Never even said he wasn't worth it. I guess I just have a personal vendetta against the on pace for quotes people use often (Getzlaf is a 90 point player as an example).

He has put up a certain amount of points in a certain amount of games for the Blues. But he also has a problem staying healthy. Being healthy and regressing to his average (actually slightly above) would make it a fine deal considering his 2 way play.
I agree with this. big Steen fan here but all this on pace bs is annoying and pretty irrelevant.
and yes, his health is a concern and thats why he only got a 3-year deal.

Last edited by frostyflo: 12-20-2013 at 03:12 PM.
frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 03:34 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

"upper body" injury

Old
12-22-2013, 03:36 PM
tmterrill

Quote:
"upper body" injury
Hopefully not out long but these injuries where he is gone for around 10 games a year is why he wasn't paid 6 mill a year for 5 years.

tmterrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 02:31 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:

I get what your saying, but I think that PPG pace does need to be a factor in the equation when evaluating a player.

Yes, it should be noted that injury concerns are a real thing with Steen. A player's ability to be on the ice contributing is an important consideration when evaluating a player.

But pace does need to be taken into consideration. A player who puts up 60 points in 82 games is different from a player who puts up 44 points in 60 games. And they are both different from a player who puts up 44 points in 75 games.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote