HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What is the most important for a beer leaguer?

Old
12-25-2013, 10:55 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I would completely agree with this. The first few shifts I'm flying out there like a little kid. The 2nd & 3rd periods I wish the game were over already as I'm huffing and puffing.
Especially since you can usually count on at least a few bodies missing each game.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 03:44 AM
Fanned On It

I hate dudes that want the game to be over by the end of the 2nd or third period... it just really irks me for some reason. I'm not talking about blow-outs or whatever, I'm talking about good, close games. It's like there's always that one dude that acts like he has somewhere better to be and doesn't give a crap about anything lol. I just think to myself, "Well then why are you here playing with us, then? Do you not love the sport as we do?"

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 07:17 AM
TLow97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
I hate dudes that want the game to be over by the end of the 2nd or third period... it just really irks me for some reason. I'm not talking about blow-outs or whatever, I'm talking about good, close games. It's like there's always that one dude that acts like he has somewhere better to be and doesn't give a crap about anything lol. I just think to myself, "Well then why are you here playing with us, then? Do you not love the sport as we do?"
FOR REAL. I don't think I could play with anyone like that. Makes me think he/she will leave me out to dry. Seems like an expensive sport to not care or give a good effort.

Regarding the OP, I think everyone comes into the game in general with their own goals and purposes, whether they think about them or not.

Probably the most important thing for me, aside from good exercise and beers, is playing the game the right way. Doing the uncomfortable things like backchecking/forechecking, skating THROUGH pucks (instead of coasting in on the opponent), doing the dirty work along the boards and going to the net.

TLow97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Good attitude and good effort. Beyond that, you can go up or down in level to suit your talent level.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Hugh Madbrough

bringing cold beer and not being an (mod edit).

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 12-26-2013 at 10:23 AM. Reason: filter - asterisks.
Hugh Madbrough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 11:31 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLow97 View Post
FOR REAL. I don't think I could play with anyone like that. Makes me think he/she will leave me out to dry. Seems like an expensive sport to not care or give a good effort.

Regarding the OP, I think everyone comes into the game in general with their own goals and purposes, whether they think about them or not.

Probably the most important thing for me, aside from good exercise and beers, is playing the game the right way. Doing the uncomfortable things like backchecking/forechecking, skating THROUGH pucks (instead of coasting in on the opponent), doing the dirty work along the boards and going to the net.
Yes I agree. I usually try to focus on things like skating hard the whole way and positioning. Scoring really comes secondary, I want to make sure I'm not a liability and am really contributing to the overall effort.

12-26-2013, 10:16 PM
IceDogsandLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
1. skill to practice?
2. skill to practice off the ice by yourself?
3. exercise?
"Practice" can mean many things. If you're in a league where everyone is a novice, then having discipline to practice can go a long way. If you've played for years then exercising as you age should be key. In the end though it depends on your league. If you are in it to just goof off and drink after the game (which is absolutely cool!) then just show up and don't be a jerk to teammates. If you are very competitive, then put more effort into practicing.

IceDogsandLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 11:11 AM
Wease

Skating, skating, skating. I've said for years that if you can become a GOOD skater, a "hockey" skater, that can do anything an experienced hockey player can do; you can disguise a lot of your other shortcomings. I was able to become a good skater first when I picked this game up, and my hands and thought process came along after...

Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lph View Post
Pay your fees, show up, and put effort in. That's about it. If you want to improve as a player, just try to get on the ice as many times as possible. Pickup, free skate, whatever.
I would just add to this - be a team player. Be positive, joke around, be a generally nice person. All of the above is what makes someone an ideal teammate in my eyes.

12-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Most important things IMO:

1. Show up. If you sign up, show up to the games. I hate when we can barely ice a team.
2. Pay your fees.
3. Don't dog it. Skate hard. You don't have to be the best player, as long as you are clearly giving it your all.
4. Don't take 5 minute shifts. Kind of goes hand in hand with #3, if you're skating the way you should be, you shouldn't be able to take long shifts.
5. Have fun and don't be a whiny baby.
#4 #4 #4 #4 #4 #4 #4 #4 #4 #4 #4 #4

Just stop the long shifts. It has nothing to do with experience. It doesn't require high intelligence to take normal / standardized shifts. It's simple math. There's no excuse. Figure it out.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Crosbyfan

Make sure to give timely advice to your teammates about their positioning.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 02:10 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

If you want to try and work on your sprints the best training I have found for this was the following (treadmill required and definitely should be in solid shape before attempting this)

- do a light jog for a couple minutes (after you have done some sort of stretching stuff of course)

Now comes hell

- increase the hill level on the machine to the highest it goes and sprint for 30-45 seconds
- lower it to 2-3 (if it has a 10 scale) and jog for a minute or so
- increase the hill and sprint
- lower it
- do this til you can't and then do one more

you get the idea. It sucks, it hurts, you might throw up. But you will absolutely gain explosiveness and endurance with this.

Another great workout to do by yourself on the ice is to:

start at the face off dot (any one will do)
- Side step to the right and hockey stop at the end of the circle (with just your right foot)
- Side step to the left and hockey stop at the end of the circle (with just your left foot)
- come back to the middle and sprint in front of you and hockey stop at the end of the circle
- skate backwards as fast as you can and hockey stop at the end of the circle behind you

This one really helps your edges and endurance

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Sleepy

What is the most important for a beer leaguer?
most important for a beer leaguer?
beer leaguer
beer

....nomnomnom

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Ilya Goalvalchuk

Back check and change when you're tired are the biggest things.

Ilya Goalvalchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 06:57 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Goalvalchuk View Post
Back check and change when you're tired are the biggest things.
Changing when you are tired ensures you will eventually get trapped in your own zone and get scored on.

Change when your shift is over, based on the rest of your line or other D partner and the average length of shift the rest of the bench is taking.

If it feels like you're not tired enough when it's time to change, plan to work harder the next shift.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2014, 09:01 AM
pelts35.com

All you need to know is in this video...

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 02:51 AM
American in Paris

On the ice:
1) Ankle mobility: make sure your skates are loose enough to allow your ankles and knees to flex into a deep knee-bend. This is the key to agility in hockey.
2) Tight turns and transitions with the puck.
3) Intelligent passing

Off the ice:
1) Stickhandling practice with golf ball

At the rink:
1) Bring beer
2) Get snow from the zamboni and put in large bucket with the beer
3) Give beer to teammates (before and/or after the game depending on team philosophy)

American in Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 06:47 AM
manictech

Be willing to play D. I'm always stuck on D because in one of the better players on the team. It's just a beer league I don't think there's need to have designated positions.

manictech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 07:18 AM
jazzykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by manictech View Post
Be willing to play D. I'm always stuck on D because in one of the better players on the team. It's just a beer league I don't think there's need to have designated positions.
Being D, is the way that I can get a better position on my team (e.g. 1st. or 2nd. line instead of 3rd./4th.) because no-one wants to play D. I also improve my skating and get WAY more ice time because 9 v 9 is a common number for our scrimmages and it is always 2 lines of F and 3 rotating Ds.

Very interesting answers. I was looking for insight into maximizing my training time because I want to improve. So here are my answers:

1. On ice: Skating (I've went as far as to get the Laura Stamm powerskating book and am following the drills). While my top speed hasn't gone up much my agility and edge control has vastly improved. I'm not the fastest but I am becoming one of the most agile on my team (at least among those who learned to skate as an adult).

2. Off ice: If you're not in good shape it's got to be cardio (HIIT is better but not being dead by the third period is key so anything that can get you through 3 periods is OK). Otherwise it's stickhandling (at least until you hit the point where you can keep your head up the whole time at a good speed in open ice and can keep your head up sometimes in traffic), I miss the opportunity to make a lot of plays because my head is down making sure I still have the puck. I have a sneaky suspicion as I improve so will my shooting because puck awareness/feel will go up as well.

3. Excercise: I thought about this a lot and squats are probably best if your knees can handle them OR it might be balance on one foot sort of things. So much of hockey is balance not just skating (which everyone agrees is the most important thing) ...if you want to shoot hard you have to balance yourself to load your stick and transfer your weight. Honorable mention Zottoman Curls, want to shoot harder or stick check hard...these are your friends.

Extra credit: Have reasonably functional protective equipment. As a beer leaguer you don't need pro everything BUT since our average ages are much higher than pros, our condition is much lower, and we have to show up to work the next day having the correct level of protection/support is definitely worth it. A nice stick is just that "nice" but having supportive skates, and adequate protection is a hedge vs. injury.

Lastly, as I lay in my bed with my leg propped up and an ice pack on my knee...do the best you can to stay healthy and recover properly. You can't get better if you can't practice.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 08:30 AM
manictech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
Being D, is the way that I can get a better position on my team (e.g. 1st. or 2nd. line instead of 3rd./4th.) because no-one wants to play D. I also improve my skating and get WAY more ice time because 9 v 9 is a common number for our scrimmages and it is always 2 lines of F and 3 rotating Ds
That's awesome I wish I had someone like you on my team

Old
01-06-2014, 11:05 AM
jazzykat

Quote:
That's awesome I wish I had someone like you on my team
I play anywhere as long as I get to play. Position is irrelevant, me play hockey = me happy.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Ozz

On most of my teams, we have less defensemen vs. forwards. That means more playing time. My highest-division teams play from the D out too, so there's certainly no lack of involvement in the play or scoring. Heck, our best player & highest scorer plays D. Our 2nd best flip-flops from F to D. Third would be me, and I rotate on D when we're missing a guy and need to cover for the missing body.

Like some have said, it's all good! Though I suppose if you're completely incapable of NOT being a liability then it's just as well that you don't play D.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 04:33 PM
manictech

More playing time is great. But my teams lack of D means I have to skate the whole game usually. If I could have one forward jump back on D for even a minute per period would mean I could have some water during the game and that would be great.

Old
01-07-2014, 01:19 PM
TLow97

Quote:
More playing time is great. But my teams lack of D means I have to skate the whole game usually. If I could have one forward jump back on D for even a minute per period would mean I could have some water during the game and that would be great.
If it was me, I'd be picking a different team next winter if they don't get some defensemen. I appreciate the ice time, too, but I wouldn't want to be gassed.

TLow97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 10:19 AM
g04tm4n

So what exactly is a beer league?

g04tm4n is offline   Reply With Quote