HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Chin Up, Soldier.

Old
01-14-2007, 03:04 AM
imkinger

vCash: 500
Chin Up, Soldier.

http://always-on-the-road.blogspot.c...p-soldier.html

Listen up people, I know it sucks to watch your team lose. Last nights loss to the Wild and tonights loss to the Flames were very hard to swallow. However, it's important that we maintain our perspective through these tough times. First, we played very well vs the Wild. The only difference between a win and a loss was they capitalized on their opportunities and we didn't; it's as simple as that. Second, despite the fact that it was on the road in a tough building, tonights game in Calgary was certainly our best performance in a back to back game this year. You could tell the boys didn't quite have their feet under them in the first, yet they still managed to stay competitive.

I am confident that if we continue to play at this level for the remainder of the season, we will not only make the playoffs, but challenge for the division. At game 45, our top 3 lines are now just starting to find some chemistry. Moreover, for the last few games we have remained competitive despite having 4 rookie defensemen in our line up. There was a point in the season, somewhere around the loss to the Ducks in Edmonton, that the team was really struggling. At the time I was starting to think that we were going to have a real hard time being competitive this year. However, what I've seen on the ice since the Florida game leaves me far more optimistic.

So, keep your chins up fellow Oiler fans. Tough times may be upon us, but no one knows it better than those guys in the dressing room. They played hard the last two nights, and I think they deserved to win at least one of the games. It's unfortunate that things didn't work out that way, but it's important that we not lose our perspective. The team is playing well right now; and if they continue to do so, the points won't be far behind.

Last edited by imkinger: 01-14-2007 at 03:40 AM.
imkinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 03:32 AM
HuMz

vCash: 50
Agree 100%, unfortionatley its hard for most people on here to be optomistic...I thought it was a great game tonight (essecially pace & effort wise) just like it has been the since the start of this new year.

How people on here can say we got dominated tonight is beyond me.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 04:04 AM
oilfaninvan

We are getting a ton of chances but no one can score. It also doesn't really help when Torres, Hemsky and Bergeron give the puck away ALL THE TIME.

oilfaninvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 07:15 AM
Sachiko

Hemsky gives the puck away all the time? I suggest you actually watch the games. Hemsky gives his fair share of pucks away but nowhere close to as much as Horcoff or Bergeron. He is also usually the only player that creates any sort of legit chances offensively on a consistent basis.

One thing I've learned from these boards is that people sure love to ***** about the most talented player on this team. The player who will throw his body around and take big hits that he really shouldn't have to be taking on a consistent basis.

Hemsky, by and far is the brightest spot on the Oilers right now.

Sachiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 01:17 AM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachiko View Post
Hemsky gives the puck away all the time? I suggest you actually watch the games. Hemsky gives his fair share of pucks away but nowhere close to as much as Horcoff or Bergeron. He is also usually the only player that creates any sort of legit chances offensively on a consistent basis.

One thing I've learned from these boards is that people sure love to ***** about the most talented player on this team. The player who will throw his body around and take big hits that he really shouldn't have to be taking on a consistent basis.

Well said

As well I would like to add a comment in on the whole Hemsky gives the puck away comment. As the idea was stated by some other board memeber it is such a true comment and that is it is only natural to expect hemsky to give the puck away a lot BECAUSE HE IS CONSTANTLY MOVING THE PUCK AND MAKING PLAYS so naturally he will have more total giveaways.

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 01:31 AM
Tyrolean

I don't hold out much hope for the Oilers when they continue to lose divisional games. I also said that last year and they had better personnel at the time and still needed Vancouver to gas it for them to make the playoffs.

The more I think about last year's playoffs, the more I think it was just a one time miracle. I wish we had a better plan to build towards a elite team in the long run like what Nashville has done.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 01:38 AM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
I don't hold out much hope for the Oilers when they continue to lose divisional games. I also said that last year and they had better personnel at the time and still needed Vancouver to gas it for them to make the playoffs.

The more I think about last year's playoffs, the more I think it was just a one time miracle. I wish we had a better plan to build towards a elite team in the long run like what Nashville has done.
well first I do agree with the comment about losing to divisional teams, as I staed before all the Oilers need to do to make the playoffs is do very well against our division but lately obviously that is far from the case

As for the miricle thing that is nonsense for the sole reason look at that team, it was what you needed to succeed - goaltending, not one line scoring, and good defense. Well what happened to us ? enough said

As for the Nashville thing how are they the "model" for long term success what they had a couple of good years and one of them happened to be because they got to beat up on the Blues, Hawks, and Jackets. I see the same type of parallel with heir defense and ours but our guys are too young too, just like thiers was. Added to that I am sure that the pred fans did not try to run their players out of town when they were learning.

Old
01-15-2007, 03:57 PM
OntOilFan

Quote:

Oh, how I would beg to differ.

First of all, of course the most talented player is going to take the most heat. You think we're going get up in arms about Mathieu Roy. Hemsky catches crap because the most is expected of him and this year, he hasn't delivered.

Hemsky is a special player, a guy with the type of talent that can put him on a 5 or 6 game point streak whilst playing poorly. I'm not knocking his productivity, but can we for a moment consider his non-stat game?

Hemsky passes when he should shoot and shoots when he should pass. I've seen too many examples of this — passes through 7 players when he's got a clear shot at the net or a waster wrist shot from the hash-marks when the points are open — and it's really got me questioning his hockey sense.

Don't get me started on his giveaways. I'm not talking pass-the-puck-up-the-middle giveaways, I'm talking about his adventures across the blueline, where he dances in with the puck and tries to dipsy-doodle around 2 or 3 players lined up, all of them knowing exactly how to stop him.

If he's not on the PP, Hemsky has a hell of a time generating any offense. It's sad to see, but the play dies with him so often now. I think he's just lacking confidence at the moment, much like the whole team is.

He can and probably will bounce back. Like I say, he's a special player. But he's struggling right now.

As for the bright spot, I'd nominate Ryan Smyth or Jarret Stoll. Both have consistently shown up to work every night despite the reluctance of the rest of the team to do the same.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 05:27 PM
coliseum74

Quote:

Referring to the part of your comment that I've bolded, using stats from NHL.com:

Player --GP-- -GvA-- -TkA-- TkA-GvA GvA/GP TkA/GP
MARTY REASONER 44 31 43 12 0.70 0.98
FERNANDO PISANI 45 22 27 5 0.49 0.60
RYAN SMYTH 35 34 36 2 0.97 1.03
SHAWN HORCOFF 45 48 49 1 1.07 1.09
TOM GILBERT 1 0 0 0 0.00 0.00
ALEXEI MIKHNOV 2 2 2 0 1.00 1.00
ETHAN MOREAU 7 6 5 -1 0.86 0.71
JEAN-FRANCOIS JACQUES 19 4 2 -2 0.21 0.11
PETR NEDVED 27 16 10 -6 0.59 0.37
TOBY PETERSEN 29 26 20 -6 0.90 0.69
MATHIEU ROY 5 6 0 -6 1.20 0.00
BRAD WINCHESTER 37 16 9 -7 0.43 0.24
MARC-ANTOINE POULIOT 18 14 5 -9 0.78 0.28
DANIEL TJARNQVIST 36 36 25 -11 1.00 0.69
JAN HEJDA 17 20 8 -12 1.18 0.47
MATT GREENE 44 43 29 -14 0.98 0.66
LADISLAV SMID 41 35 21 -14 0.85 0.51
PATRICK THORESEN 36 28 14 -14 0.78 0.39
RAFFI TORRES 45 36 21 -15 0.80 0.47
JOFFREY LUPUL 45 36 17 -19 0.80 0.38
MARC-ANDRE BERGERON 41 43 20 -23 1.05 0.49
JARRET STOLL 45 46 23 -23 1.02 0.51
STEVE STAIOS 40 52 28 -24 1.30 0.70
PETR SYKORA 45 52 11 -41 1.16 0.24
JASON SMITH 45 66 24 -42 1.47 0.53
ALES HEMSKY 37 67 15 -52 1.81 0.41

Hemsky has a ton of talent, but he makes some really poor decisions with the puck. Lately he has been making a lot of soft (half-speed) passes, looking for the drop pass entirely too much, and trying to force the difficult play (ex. the cross zone pass on the powerplay) when the chance for success is much less than for other options available to him. It's frustrating to watch because he's obviously capable of doing a lot more to help the team, but just isn't confident or assertive or aware enough to do it on any sort of consistent basis.

coliseum74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
As for the bright spot, I'd nominate Ryan Smyth or Jarret Stoll. Both have consistently shown up to work every night despite the reluctance of the rest of the team to do the same.
I agree, those two guys have IMO been the two best Oilers so far this year.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 06:07 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
Originally Posted by coliseum74 View Post
Referring to the part of your comment that I've bolded, using stats from NHL.com:

Hemsky has a ton of talent, but he makes some really poor decisions with the puck. Lately he has been making a lot of soft (half-speed) passes, looking for the drop pass entirely too much, and trying to force the difficult play (ex. the cross zone pass on the powerplay) when the chance for success is much less than for other options available to him. It's frustrating to watch because he's obviously capable of doing a lot more to help the team, but just isn't confident or assertive or aware enough to do it on any sort of consistent basis.
First like I said I would like to know how many passes he makes with respect to the amount of give aways he has and compare it to others on the team because like it has been said before when you pass as much as he does you are bound to have as many take aways.

Added to that you sit there and say he makes poor decisions when there are better options especially on the PP, well tell me what they are ? oh yeah I bet you think when he is on the half boards and the box has not broken down he should shoot right, because after all having a shot blocked is a lot better than trying to get a play. Or is it a better play to keep passing back and fourth with the low guy and waste time and energy when once again it is clear the box is not breaking down.

Old
01-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by coliseum74 View Post

Player --GP-- -GvA-- -TkA-- TkA-GvA GvA/GP TkA/GP
MARTY REASONER 44 31 43 12 0.70 0.98
FERNANDO PISANI 45 22 27 5 0.49 0.60
RYAN SMYTH 35 34 36 2 0.97 1.03
SHAWN HORCOFF 45 48 49 1 1.07 1.09
TOM GILBERT 1 0 0 0 0.00 0.00
ALEXEI MIKHNOV 2 2 2 0 1.00 1.00
ETHAN MOREAU 7 6 5 -1 0.86 0.71
JEAN-FRANCOIS JACQUES 19 4 2 -2 0.21 0.11
PETR NEDVED 27 16 10 -6 0.59 0.37
TOBY PETERSEN 29 26 20 -6 0.90 0.69
MATHIEU ROY 5 6 0 -6 1.20 0.00
BRAD WINCHESTER 37 16 9 -7 0.43 0.24
MARC-ANTOINE POULIOT 18 14 5 -9 0.78 0.28
DANIEL TJARNQVIST 36 36 25 -11 1.00 0.69
JAN HEJDA 17 20 8 -12 1.18 0.47
MATT GREENE 44 43 29 -14 0.98 0.66
LADISLAV SMID 41 35 21 -14 0.85 0.51
PATRICK THORESEN 36 28 14 -14 0.78 0.39
RAFFI TORRES 45 36 21 -15 0.80 0.47
JOFFREY LUPUL 45 36 17 -19 0.80 0.38
MARC-ANDRE BERGERON 41 43 20 -23 1.05 0.49
JARRET STOLL 45 46 23 -23 1.02 0.51
STEVE STAIOS 40 52 28 -24 1.30 0.70
PETR SYKORA 45 52 11 -41 1.16 0.24
JASON SMITH 45 66 24 -42 1.47 0.53
ALES HEMSKY 37 67 15 -52 1.81 0.41

Yikes, Jason Smith is right up there in giveaways and he doesn't even try and pass the puck up the middl. That is disturbing.

As for Hemsky's giveaway's, how many actually result in chances against? Not many because they usually happen in the offensive zone when he is the only guy there meaning we have 4 guys back.

Seriously, people look into give aways WAY to much. Anybody can just dump the puck in the corner and try and grind, Hemsky gives it away because he tries to create things offensivly. Also, he gets into a lot of 1 on 3's and 1 on 4's because he seems to be much faster then his linemates.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Oilerfan_55

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova View Post
Yikes, Jason Smith is right up there in giveaways and he doesn't even try and pass the puck up the middl. That is disturbing.

As for Hemsky's giveaway's, how many actually result in chances against? Not many because they usually happen in the offensive zone when he is the only guy there meaning we have 4 guys back.

Seriously, people look into give aways WAY to much. Anybody can just dump the puck in the corner and try and grind, Hemsky gives it away because he tries to create things offensivly. Also, he gets into a lot of 1 on 3's and 1 on 4's because he seems to be much faster then his linemates.
I think whoever posted this was just pointing out to Sachiko that Hemsky does give the puck away more than Horcoff and Bergeron, after Sachiko suggested that Hemsky dosent give the puck away "nowhere near as much as these two players", and then suggesting that whoever thinks otherwise dosent actually watch the games.

Oilerfan_55 is offline   Reply With Quote