HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Freidman's 30 Thoughts With Poile Quotes

Old
12-26-2013, 08:12 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

vCash: 500
Freidman's 30 Thoughts With Poile Quotes

Thought this was interesting. Hopefully this means there's a shakeup sooner than later:

30 THOUGHTS

Quote:
1. Another thing MacTavish will do - if he hasn't already - is call Nashville Predators capo David Poile and say, "If you decide to trade No. 6, I'm in. I've got what you want. There's no better fit in the league." The Predators had no choice but to match the Philadelphia Flyers' offer sheet for Shea Weber. They needed control of the asset and credibility among the fan base after losing Ryan Suter. But things are changing in Tennessee.

2. The market is restless. The Predators were ecstatic to draft Seth Jones. But it meant not getting a highly skilled forward, which was the original plan. If a Weber package includes one of Edmonton's recent first-round picks (not Yakupov after the Alexander Radulov experiment) and this year's first-rounder, you can sell that. Of course, Edmonton will have 28 competitors if this scenario becomes reality.

3. Overall summation of the pre-Christmas trade market: "Brutal." One NHL GM: "There was absolutely nothing out there."

5. Poile would like to do something. "We would make a move if appropriate," he said last Friday. "We're very, very disappointed ... Our forwards are not performing to the level of expectations. We need a shakeup. Everyone wants to give you a player, not take back." People will ask, so let's make this clear: Poile did not discuss trading Weber.

6. Poile on his head coach Barry Trotz in an almost unheard of position, ie. taking heat in Tennessee: "We're all locked in to this together. We both believed in our moves. But [Trotz] didn't sign or draft anyone. There are always extenuating circumstances." The biggest is Pekka Rinne, out with a hip infection. Poile said you want to be .500 with your second goalies, which is roughly what Carter Hutton and Marek Mazanec are (12-13-3 combined). Rinne is plus-65 for his NHL career. "He's like the Mastercard commercial, priceless ... We have two young goalies who have played well. Every night, you go through the situations [and ask yourself], 'Would Pekka have stopped that?' We don't play the same without him."
http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hoc...-edmonton.html

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 08:33 AM
PFL615

Believe it when i see it. Probably (hopefully) talking about getting assets for guys like Legwand at the trade deadline.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 09:23 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Believe it when i see it. Probably (hopefully) talking about getting assets for guys like Legwand at the trade deadline.
You're probably right. I can't see Poile doing a "clean house" right after the FA spree from this past summer either.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 09:25 AM
AintLifeGrand

I saw Cooper tweet this article on the 24th...

I trust Poile will make a move within the next 45 days...

Hopefully Legwand for prospects

and then something like Bourque+wilson and maybe Klein for a Jeff Skinner type dude

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 09:31 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
"We're very, very disappointed ... Our forwards are not performing to the level of expectations.
Seriously?

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 09:51 AM
PFL615

Looking at you Colin Wilson.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 12:29 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Looking at you Colin Wilson.
Looking at the whole damn team

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 12:41 PM
Jarnberg

Sounds like the team is trying to dump a forward for picks.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Smilodon

I could see Legwand and Wilson being traded.

Smilodon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 01:37 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon View Post
I could see Legwand and Wilson being traded.
So the answer is trading a ton of Americans

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 03:47 PM
maplepred

Maybe a team that needs grit at deadline would give us a sixth round pick to take nystrom and his contract.

Keep legwand, move fisher.
Keep weber, move josi. Klein is also too valuable on his contract.

Wouldn't mind seeing Cullen traded either, he only has one year left and could fetch a third at deadline as well.

This team stinks and definitely needs shakeup, big time!

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 05:06 PM
weeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Maybe a team that needs grit at deadline would give us a sixth round pick to take nystrom and his contract.

Wouldn't mind seeing Cullen traded either, he only has one year left and could fetch a third at deadline as well.

Not sure the org wants to move Weber but may have too to get the kind of players needed. Also don't think Fisher will get moved, Legwand yes. If Weber stays than Josi and/or Klein will be available. We have some young D players that can come up and get some playing time. Not on same caliber as Josi/Klein but the young ones wont bring any good assets. I could see Wilson and Smith being available, especially if Smith keeps scoring. Really need to shed Gaustad, Hendricks, Cullen being offered in a package for some younger more talented players. But, but none of this matters, imo, if we continue to play the same Trotz way we have been playing. Need to open up the offense and let the players play.

I said at the beginning of the season, at least a half dozen times, when Rinne got hurt that we should have made a play for Hiller to shore up the goalie spot. If at the trade deadline we are out then trade him. Or worse case scenario if Rinne is out long term or more than resign him as our #1. Maz needs to spend some more time in Milwaukee and/or having MK work more with him without him being the #1/1A.

weeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 07:07 PM
Prongo
Beer

One thing I don't understand, if you ever move Weber, why would you move him to a western conference team? Players of his caliber are rarely if ever traded in conference anymore. You would need to watch him play your team 4 or more times every year for the next 10, I don't think management would like that too much. The price tag for an in conference team would be outrageous probably... and rightfully so.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 07:09 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post

why keep the impending UFA over fish? just curious.

i say ship both of the ****ers.

as far as too moving josi, heck no. one of the LHD and people forget how young the guy is. think about suter or weber at his stage.

nystrom would get more than a 6th with his play this year. he is the only free agent signing im happy with. love his attitude and game alot!

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 08:35 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

What about the backup goalie quote? Your objective with the backup is. 500? If that is serious then they gave up on 2013 in October.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 08:54 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth5 View Post
What about the backup goalie quote? Your objective with the backup is. 500? If that is serious then they gave up on 2013 in October.
For some odd reason they thought Rinne to be 100% and bulletproof. Which is mind boggling, its not like this team has not had the experience of losing a starting goalie before. When Vokoun went down Mason got hot and played the best hockey of his career, perhaps Korn and co. saw this in Hutton when in fact he is a questionable back-up and for sure a no go as a starter.

As for Leggy With the current number of NMC's belonging to forwards I can't see him re-signed. Two compliance buyouts.. But who do they use them on?????? You have to expect that Wilson will be moved. If DP plans to build a 1st line he will need to free up a good chunk of money. At a minimum hes going to need 15 mil to do so. So looking at raw salary theres a few ways he could go. KK's contract is so good it would be crazy to move him, same with Josi and Jones will be very affordable for a few years so Weber may be the cure. No matter how one looks at it theres no combination of forwards that are valuable enough to return top line players.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 09:01 PM
INDhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth5 View Post
That was general quote about backup goalies. You want your backup to be about .500 and that is what Hutton and Maz have done. For a backup goalie they have pretty much done what you expect. It isn't like they went into the year with Hutton and Maz as our goalies. Rinne is our starter and they didn't think he would be out as long as he has been.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 10:19 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Ive just got to wonder what ownership expects from this season.

if they want Poile to do something to try to salvage a playoff berth this year, then something big will need to happen, and it will reek of desperation and almost certainly be a bad deal for us

if they understand that playoffs this year were a marginal possibility at best and can live with a .500 season, then i would expect us to dump a lot of players at the deadline but not do much before

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 11:28 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDhockeyfan View Post
That was general quote about backup goalies. You want your backup to be about .500 and that is what Hutton and Maz have done. For a backup goalie they have pretty much done what you expect. It isn't like they went into the year with Hutton and Maz as our goalies. Rinne is our starter and they didn't think he would be out as long as he has been.
My point was at the end of October they had a general idea Pekka was going to be out for another month at best. So they were content to gamble on only half the available points for that many more weeks with a roster that had yet to gel ? In the West you are not going to make the playoffs with less than 98 points I bet. That club would have to go on a club record setting streak to make it by then. THAT was my point

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 03:35 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
One thing I don't understand, if you ever move Weber, why would you move him to a western conference team? Players of his caliber are rarely if ever traded in conference anymore. You would need to watch him play your team 4 or more times every year for the next 10, I don't think management would like that too much. The price tag for an in conference team would be outrageous probably... and rightfully so.
Return packages being equal, I think it would be preferable to send him to the Eastern Conference, but that all depends on an eastern team being able to pony up a package similar or better to what a team like Edmonton could offer. Frankly, I'm not all that enamored with the Oiler youngsters, so would be more than happy to see someone else up the ante.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 03:37 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Ive just got to wonder what ownership expects from this season.

if they want Poile to do something to try to salvage a playoff berth this year, then something big will need to happen, and it will reek of desperation and almost certainly be a bad deal for us

if they understand that playoffs this year were a marginal possibility at best and can live with a .500 season, then i would expect us to dump a lot of players at the deadline but not do much before
At the rate things are going, unless this team makes a major push heading toward the Olympic break, I'd much rather see us doing the latter than dealing our already-limited assets for a shot at an 8th seed and first round exit. Let's clear out some of the dead wood, stack some draft picks, and make a point to target one or two players that will fill some gaping holes (i.e. scorers) in the off-season, while also giving some room for some of the younger guys to have a shot at the roster.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 09:09 AM
Nothing Is New

Gaustad, Hendrix, Bourque et al = deck chairs Titanic. If the culture doesn't change, the results don't change.

Tier 1 move - Weber

Tier 2 move - Rinne (we develop goalies like my lawn develops dandelions)

Tier 3 move - Legwand, Wilson

Get the youngest, best offensive players you can get + draft picks - whoever.

Gold watch and Hall of Fame Trotz and Poile. Move on. Better now than later.

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 09:21 AM
Persona5

You either move Legwand and Spaling or you stick it out as is. If we move any of Weber, Josi, or Klein our team will sink like a rock. Our Defense hasn't been nearly good enough this year to even consider moving our best guys at that position. Our biggest mistake this offseason was not signing a veteran D-man while also signing Hendricks and Nystrom.

The simple fact right now is you can't win without good goaltending and we are not getting it at all. If people want to see a 3 year rebuild plan then go ahead and trade Weber, Josi, Wilson, and Klein. We would for sure have a shot at Mcdavid in 2015 at least right?

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Jarnberg

Again, sounds like Poile is looking to a dump a forward or two. Has to be Spaling or Wilson. Trading Legwand now will look bad as he's our leading scorer and will be labeled as giving up. Legwand will be dealt at the deadline.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 10:42 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Thought number one was more of a shot across Edmonton's bow than ours. They've missed the post season for 13 of the past 20 years, drafted in the top five repeatedly, and failed to improve. They desperately need defensive zone help, hence the comment that "IF" they should make the preemptive call saying they have what the Preds are probably looking for should Weber hit the market.

Looking at thought number 3 and applying it to the goalie situation is revealing. Nobody on the trade market, and only Bryz really on the FA market. Bryz, the one mentioned on these boards as almost a must have who is now out after posting worse numbers than Hutton.

Nobody is safe right now with the under performance at even strength. We need to tighten up the blueline, between the pipes, and up front. For all of the complaining about a lack of scoring the ES goals allowed is worse than the ES goals for. There is plenty of individual talent but is isn't meshing on our 5on5 units.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote