HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Very protective pads that absorb the least water?

Old
12-23-2013, 05:45 PM
jazzykat

vCash: 500
Very protective pads that absorb the least water?

I sweat a ton. I play D, block shots, and play multiple days a week in a non-checking league. Sometimes my equipment is wet when I put it on again. I hang my stuff out to dry.

My current pads/gloves are adequately protective (maximum coverage, and high level of padding) but they get soaked. I mean to the point where my team mates marvel at the difference in weight of my bag before and after.

I am looking for highly protective pads that don't absorb much water. I know the CCM crazy light line is supposed to not absorb much but they don't seem to be maximum coverage.

Can anyone recommend a maximum coverage/protection line(s) that don't absorb much water. My resources are such that I can purchase anything but custom stuff. I would also prefer it to be on the higher end of quality so they don't need to be replaced quickly and will stand up better in the wash. These pads will be machine washed on gentle, because they stink to the point where my wife threatens to burn them.

Thanks!

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Canadiens1958

Alternatives

^^^ Instead of looking at the pads consider the time lag from removing the pads and when or where they start drying. How you transport them to and from the games, type of bag, post game procedures, etc.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 07:59 PM
JLitSays
Level 3

Baby powder. Throw it on right before your stuff goes in the bag. Helps absorb a TON of the moisture, makes your gear smell a billion times better. Hang it to dry as usual when you get home. Beat (mod edit) before you put it back in the bag to goto the next game.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 12-23-2013 at 09:23 PM. Reason: seriously needed to make that comment???
JLitSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 09:24 PM
DevsFan84

I had a customer come in to my shop recently who asked for exactly this- I suggested the CCM CL pads and a Reebok padded shirt (similar to an under armour shirt with padding built in) Worked like a charm.

The CL pads have really good shoulder protection but lack in the chest/rib area, which the shirt compensated for.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 11:10 PM
AIREAYE

CL should be the answer and if you're worried about coverage, wear some wrist guards. If you can wait until spring, I would wait for the APX2 to come out...

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 11:52 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
they stink to the point where my wife threatens to burn them.
this shouldn't happen.

you have to take your stuff out of the bag fast and dry it every time. if you play every day or so then get a rocket sports dryer, so your stuff cay dry in 2 hours

that will drastically cut down on the stink

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 06:46 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
My resources are such that I can purchase anything but custom stuff.
where would one go to purchase custom stuff?

i'm mainly interesting in getting a pair of high end pants that are 3-4 inches longer than retail. i know warrior has the option online to buy the franchises but they'd only add 2 inches, which will still leave me short

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2013, 02:34 AM
jazzykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post

i'm mainly interesting in getting a pair of high end pants that are 3-4 inches longer than retail. i know warrior has the option online to buy the franchises but they'd only add 2 inches, which will still leave me short

I don't know specifically where to gef custom stuff but figured someone does.

there are a few tall versions out there. check hg and use their search functionality. also Tackla might do full custom?

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Live1evil

Quote:

I'm not sure anyone offers more than a +2 pant length. You could try getting a two piece pant with a smaller upper and a size up and +2 length lower.

Live1evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Malarowski

vCash: 822
Quote:
this shouldn't happen.

you have to take your stuff out of the bag fast and dry it every time. if you play every day or so then get a rocket sports dryer, so your stuff cay dry in 2 hours

that will drastically cut down on the stink
Seconding the Rocket sports dryer here. I put my stuff in immediately after I come home and only need to wash my stuff once every 1.5 month roughly. That's with skating 3 times a week and being a sweaty sweaty man.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 11:44 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
The stink is there because the gear isn't drying fast enough and you're allowing bacteria to flourish. Think about a drying solution that actively dries your gear.

I bought two of these fans and then got cheap wire shelving to lay on top of them to give me a flat surface. Lay my gear out, turn it on high and everything is completely dry in 2 hours tops. One time I washed my gear and then religiously dried out my gear with the rack for 2 or 3 months straight and there was absolutely zero smell to it. If you dry it quick enough you don't let the bacteria grow. Gear that just hangs there will always smell. Think about getting some air moving.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 12:08 AM
hockeyviking

If you live where its cold outside in other words below 0 celsius hang your gears outside sometimes if you can, it will kill the bacterias.

i hate it when people wash their gear in a washing maschine the gear its not made to be washed like that.

hockeyviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 09:24 AM
Malarowski

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviking View Post
If you live where its cold outside in other words below 0 celsius hang your gears outside sometimes if you can, it will kill the bacterias.

i hate it when people wash their gear in a washing maschine the gear its not made to be washed like that.
What's the issue with washing it? On a gentle cycle it comes out as it went in, just clean. Definitely better than freezing it. ;-)

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote