HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2013, 04:38 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
McDavid would be so worth it.
Hall-6 million
Eberle-6 million
RNH-6 million
Yakupov-6 million
McDavid-6 million
Ekblad-6 million

36 million for only 6 players right there.

Old
12-26-2013, 04:50 PM
gqmixmaster

The brown will hit the fan if we finish last next year lol

McDavid will be like Atlas walking in to our dressing room and try to pick that entire organization up - we would be considered a blackhole of talent and I bet McDavid would get destroyed and become Joe Hulbig.

Old
12-26-2013, 05:09 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmixmaster View Post
The brown will hit the fan if we finish last next year lol

McDavid will be like Atlas walking in to our dressing room and try to pick that entire organization up - we would be considered a blackhole of talent and I bet McDavid would get destroyed and become Joe Hulbig.

I kinda want it to happen now just to see the fallout.

Old
12-26-2013, 07:15 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
McDavid would be so worth it.

Liquor, you don't seriously think that, do you? 2 more years at the bottom. that would mean passing up on any upgrades from now till then.

have to try and improve at the TDL and off season. after this year's draft, they can't wait anymore. if they do, i might be, as Eakins put, out. Done. given up.

Old
12-26-2013, 08:02 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
Liquor, you don't seriously think that, do you? 2 more years at the bottom. that would mean passing up on any upgrades from now till then.

have to try and improve at the TDL and off season. after this year's draft, they can't wait anymore. if they do, i might be, as Eakins put, out. Done. given up.
I won't speak for IATL... but from my point of view... how in the world would this management group get talents like Ekblad/Reinhart/McDavid any other way than through their incompetence leading to being able to draft that elite level talent?

They are now doing their best to improve this team and we see the results in the standings this year. The less they do with those most valuable pieces the better.

If this team finds itself in a position to draft those players (again in large part to the ineptitude of the management and pro scouts to address the issues on this team to make them better)... then you don't compound that ineptitude by passing up those telents if they are there for the picking.

Would players like Ekblad, Reinhart, McDavid improve this team going forward? I don't think there's much doubt that they would very likely develop into solid NHL players down the line. Other teams will certainly grab them if they were in a position to do so. Oilers would be plain idiots plus incompetent if they were to trade away those assets (and that's what trading those picks away is effectively doing).

I think people have to be able to separate "fixing" this team from acquiring future potential stars. You absolutely need those talents if you can grab them.

Put it this way... once this current management group is finally mercifully expunged from this organization (crossing fingers and stabbing voodoo dolls as we speak)... then those elite assets will still be there for the next (hopefully) more competent group of management to actually build a competitive team around.

I am on the same page with basically every fan... I want a winner in Edmonton as well... 8 years of crap (more actually but for the Cinderella run) is plenty for all of us BUT it would be a mistake dumping premier young players (that's what those draft picks actually are) that will be a strong part of this team for years going forward in favour of "something" coming back that this current management group thinks will help this team.

My fundamental view... I have a higher level of faith in Ekblad/Reinhart/McDavid and those other top end prospects than I have in MacT/Lowe and the rest of this management group.

Old
12-26-2013, 09:18 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

vCash: 500
Sounds to me that they're rating Ekblad like a Bouwmeester or Brewer type. Not a Seth Jones.

I'm sure Ekblad could help our D at some point but hardly sounds like someone we should agonize over trading.

Not convinced Sam Reinhart is a stunner either.

And those guys are supposed to be #1 and #2.

Sigh.

Old
12-26-2013, 09:29 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Sounds to me that they're rating Ekblad like a Bouwmeester or Brewer type. Not a Seth Jones.

I'm sure Ekblad could help our D at some point but hardly sounds like someone we should agonize over trading.

Sigh.

Aaron Ekblad's potential is said to be a number 1 defenseman.Could you post where you got it that they're rating Ekblad like a bouwmeester or Brewer type?

Scouts have said before that in their opinion's the draft is like this:

Aaron Ekblad-Number 1 defenseman potential
Sam Reinhart-first line centerman potential

Then a major drop-off in talent.

Old
12-26-2013, 09:40 PM
oilersfan11

http://cardiaccane.com/2013/12/13/ca...-aaron-ekblad/

Aaron Ekblad is right on. GMs want players that are versatile, and Ekblad is exactly that. Aaron Ekblad is a leader on top of his skill. He is the captain of his OHL team and captained the Under-17 World Hockey Championship team this past year. He also captained this year’s Canadian Under-18 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup team that won a gold medal.

“Aaron is the proverbial ‘workhorse’ defenseman. (He’s) Capable of playing significant minutes, he has a seemingly ability to get better the more he plays and he seems to thrive on these types of demands. Smart and capable of playing in all situations, he is also capable of dominating opponents. Defensively, offensively, skill game or physical game, Aaron can excel in all types of games. Top 2 type defenseman

So you see there that he is thought of very highly. He has the potential to be a top defensive pairing franchise defenseman in the National Hockey League. Whoever gets Ekblad will get a player that could be able to play in his first year after the draft. He is big enough, and his level of play is well beyond the average 17-year-old in juniors.

NHL Player Comparison: Alex Pietrangelo

Old
12-26-2013, 10:13 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Hall-6 million
Eberle-6 million
RNH-6 million
Yakupov-6 million
McDavid-6 million
Ekblad-6 million

If all those guys end up at their projections, that's actually a steal.

The cap is going up. Hall's contract is already a steal right now.

Old
12-26-2013, 10:25 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I won't speak for IATL... but from my point of view... how in the world would this management group get talents like Ekblad/Reinhart/McDavid any other way than through their incompetence leading to being able to draft that elite level talent?

They are now doing their best to improve this team and we see the results in the standings this year. The less they do with those most valuable pieces the better.

If this team finds itself in a position to draft those players (again in large part to the ineptitude of the management and pro scouts to address the issues on this team to make them better)... then you don't compound that ineptitude by passing up those telents if they are there for the picking.

Would players like Ekblad, Reinhart, McDavid improve this team going forward? I don't think there's much doubt that they would very likely develop into solid NHL players down the line. Other teams will certainly grab them if they were in a position to do so. Oilers would be plain idiots plus incompetent if they were to trade away those assets (and that's what trading those picks away is effectively doing).

I think people have to be able to separate "fixing" this team from acquiring future potential stars. You absolutely need those talents if you can grab them.

Put it this way... once this current management group is finally mercifully expunged from this organization (crossing fingers and stabbing voodoo dolls as we speak)... then those elite assets will still be there for the next (hopefully) more competent group of management to actually build a competitive team around.

I am on the same page with basically every fan... I want a winner in Edmonton as well... 8 years of crap (more actually but for the Cinderella run) is plenty for all of us BUT it would be a mistake dumping premier young players (that's what those draft picks actually are) that will be a strong part of this team for years going forward in favour of "something" coming back that this current management group thinks will help this team.

My fundamental view... I have a higher level of faith in Ekblad/Reinhart/McDavid and those other top end prospects than I have in MacT/Lowe and the rest of this management group.
so, your a saying don't trade your 1st round pick this year or next as it is possible they will be picking 1st. well sure. put to make at a goal to tank not only this year but 2 years out, a this point, when they've done just that from 2010-12, is unforgiveable. after this year's draft they must start competing in the here and now.

Old
12-26-2013, 11:53 PM
BackhandToeyJoey

Idk, it feels the same as every draft year. "RNH is gonna be great, Yakupov is beast." Shouldn't lean on the kid to be our saviour.

Old
12-27-2013, 12:25 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Aaron Ekblad's potential is said to be a number 1 defenseman.Could you post where you got it that they're rating Ekblad like a bouwmeester or Brewer type?
I'll try to find it tomorrow. Didn't mention those players in particular but just got that sense. Solid, minute eater, good defensively, decent on the PP, maybe 40-50 points.

Im sure he'd help the Oilers but I don't get the sense he's a #1.

Pronman or one of those guys said Nurse has a higher ceiling.

Old
12-27-2013, 01:05 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
I'll try to find it tomorrow. Didn't mention those players in particular but just got that sense. Solid, minute eater, good defensively, decent on the PP, maybe 40-50 points.

That's it just stunning if true.If Nurse is said to have a higher ceiling,then this draft is going to be the weakest in more than a decade.

Old
12-27-2013, 01:14 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
That's it just stunning if true.If Nurse is said to have a higher ceiling,then this draft is going to be the weakest in more than a decade.
It also depends on what you think of Nurse. He has all the tools to be an elite #1

12-27-2013, 01:54 AM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Nurse has a higher ceiling because of his athleticism and the range of his abilities but it's questionable what level he gets to as a player because of the variation in his play from game to game. He needs to learn that less is more sometimes. Ekblad is a better bet to be a better d-man because he's already quite consistent and he just seems to continually improve his game. Ekblad also has a higher hockey IQ I'd say.

Last year's draft was pretty strong whereas the top end of the draft this year lacks the sure-fire elite players that you normally see in the top 2 or 3, however there are several guys with the potential to get to that level. In general the top end guys this year (Reinhart, Draisaitl, Ekblad) aren't as fast of skaters as you normally see at the top of the draft. Obviously that's something that can be improved though.

Old
12-27-2013, 02:18 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Hall-6 million
Eberle-6 million
RNH-6 million
Yakupov-6 million
McDavid-6 million
Ekblad-6 million

You forgot Nurse 6 million.

And Gagner, he should be getting 6 million too.

Old
12-27-2013, 02:22 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
You forgot Nurse 6 million.

And Gagner, he should be getting 6 million too.
You forgot two more people , IATL...Justin Schultz will probably be getting 6 million and
don't forget about Bryzgalov.

This team is so ****ed!

Old
12-27-2013, 02:25 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
so, your a saying don't trade your 1st round pick this year or next as it is possible they will be picking 1st. well sure. put to make at a goal to tank not only this year but 2 years out, a this point, when they've done just that from 2010-12, is unforgiveable. after this year's draft they must start competing in the here and now.
McDavid is the best player to come along since Crosby. It would be more than worth it. Thing is you arent guaranteed to get him. Even if you did miss out on McDavid, there's Jack Eichel and some other top level talent in that draft. The most foolish thing we could do at this point would be to trade next year's first. Also we arent tanking. This is coaching/management trying to win.

Scary stuff.

Old
12-27-2013, 02:28 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:

Ive heard the Bouwmeester comparable. I havent seen enough of Ekblad to know one way or the other. The bottom line is Bouwmeester and Ekblad are two different players. Just because someone says player x reminds them of player y, doesnt mean that is the case. Its just their opinion. Also, Bouwmeester would look pretty good on our d right now. Hell, Tom Gilbert would look pretty good back there. Its a mess.

Also Sam Reinhart would look pretty good in an Oiler uni. He would open the door to getting rid of that pretender Gagner and we would have two legit top six centers going forward.

Old
12-27-2013, 02:32 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
You forgot two more people , IATL...Justin Schultz will probably be getting 6 million and
don't forget about Bryzgalov.

This team is so ****ed!
Take a look at the Pittsburgh Penguins. Theyre paying two guys 18mill. They also have a bunch of other big ticket guys. Theyve got three players making well over six mill per year. Youre making much ado about nothing. Also if we did happen to get McDavid, it would be four or five years before he were to get that kind of money. Some of the guys on your six mill list will likely be gone by then.

Old
12-27-2013, 03:40 AM
CurrenR

vCash: 450
Quote:
I think the mentality is to trade the pick no matter what it is. This pick would be obviously put towards a top pairing defensemen or a big way two way centre. The thing is though if they are not able to get that sort of player then they should keep the pick and draft someone like Ekblad who could turn into that top pairing defender. We shouldn't trade the pick just for the sake of trading it.

Old
12-27-2013, 10:15 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Ive heard the Bouwmeester comparable. I havent seen enough of Ekblad to know one way or the other. The bottom line is Bouwmeester and Ekblad are two different players. Just because someone says player x reminds them of player y, doesnt mean that is the case. Its just their opinion. Also, Bouwmeester would look pretty good on our d right now. Hell, Tom Gilbert would look pretty good back there. Its a mess.

Also Sam Reinhart would look pretty good in an Oiler uni. He would open the door to getting rid of that pretender Gagner and we would have two legit top six centers going forward.
As always, current players are used as a comparable so we can get an idea what kind of player the draft prospect is like.

I agree even if Ekblad tops out at Bouw, he would still help our D.

I just don't want people to think he's a Subban, Pronger, Jones, etc.

We'll see where he's at by June. Nurse, after all, rose quite a bit from Oct-Nov to the draft

Old
12-27-2013, 10:40 AM
jadeddog

Quote:

Sigh.
this is a vast understatement.... reinhart doesn't look impressive at all really... in lots of draft years he would be outside the top-5 for sure... this draft kinda sucks period to be honest

Old
12-27-2013, 10:48 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
i don't know about "weakest in a decade", but pretty much all the regular guys (mackenzie, button, etc) have been saying this is a weak draft for quite some time now... this is very troubling when you consider that these peoples careers are quite literally wrapped up in the concept of making each draft "exciting" and "an event"... if these folks are telling you its weak, it really is weak

GMs that i have seen talking about this year have also said that this draft class is quite weak, macT the most recent in his interview with stauffer the other day

this is another reason i don't think we'll be able to trade our 1st rounder for a top-pairing guy unless we end up with one of the top-2 picks, as reinhart and ekblad, although a step down from previous years, are still thought of as good prospects.... unfortunately, if we end up with the 5th overall, we aren't going to have many takers for that pick, and none of them are going to be giving away a top-2 or even top-4 defender for such a pick

Old
12-27-2013, 10:50 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:

Sigh.
Aaron Ekblad is a much smarter player than Brewer and a far more physical player than Bouwmeester (and Jones for than matter). The only thing these guys all have in common is the elite skating. While Ekblad probably isn't as good as Jones offensively, everything I've seen and read point to a guy that has a more "NHL game" as he uses his size and strength to impose his will on smaller players. And even if he ends up being Jay Bouwmeester, that's a whole lot better than what we've got right now. I don't know about you, but I'll take a Nurse-Ekblad pairing over a Belov-Petry pairing every day of the week.

Closed Thread