HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Freidman's 30 Thoughts With Poile Quotes

Old
12-27-2013, 10:28 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

vCash: 500
Really, Edmonton and Nashville make great trade partners. We have what they need in spades, and they have what we need. The issue is that there would be no small deal that would take place between the two. Any trade would most likely be involving some of the best players each team has.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 10:53 AM
preds1

vCash: 1548
Yeah, sign a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners in the off season, put 'em in our top 6, and then wonder why we have difficulty on offense.
Seems like we used to have 3 scoring lines in past years, now we have 4 PK lines at even strength.

Part of it is Poile not addressing our top 6, part of it is Trotz's system. (imo)
But the dump, chase & defend will win you a few games I suppose.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 11:03 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by preds1 View Post
Yeah, sign a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners in the off season, put 'em in our top 6, and then wonder why we have difficulty on offense.
Seems like we used to have 3 scoring lines in past years, now we have 4 PK lines at even strength.

Part of it is Poile not addressing our top 6, part of it is Trotz's system. (imo)
But the dump, chase & defend will win you a few games I suppose.
We signed two 3rd/4th liners ... Hendricks is filling the exact role he was signed for, Nystrom is performing better than expected. The team only dumps and chases when that is what the defense permits, they carry when that is an option. Reading these boards you would think that not only do the Preds dump and chase every single time but they are the only team in the league to ever do it.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 12:25 PM
NoNecksCurse

id say stalberg and cullen are 3rd liners on a contending team.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 12:26 PM
roseyc

According to this Poile doesn't think he will ever get fired and Trotz is not the reason for the team's problems and it's absurd to think that Trotz should be under fire. Trotz didn't draft or sign FA but he does coach them. The system that he has isn't conducive for winning and that his forwards have under achieved. This shows that Poile and Trotz time is over. They are in denial of the current situation and if there is a problem it's not them. I hope the owners have enough knowledge and fortitude to make that decision before Poile make trades and disrupts this franchise.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 12:44 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
id say stalberg and cullen are 3rd liners on a contending team.
Third liners on elite teams, second liners on most contenders. Then again, these boards think all 1st round draft picks should be point per game players because there is so little perspective applied around here.

Old
12-27-2013, 01:09 PM
preds1

vCash: 1548
We signed:
Nystrom - 3rd/4th line Dallas
Stalberg - 3rd line Chicago
Hendricks - 4th line Washington
Cullen - 2nd line Minny. (Not an upgrade to Fish/Legwand/Spaling for the $$)

Nothing against these guys at all.
But our top 6 wasn't addressed and no one should be surprised we continue to struggle offensively.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 01:31 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by preds1 View Post
We signed:
Nystrom - 3rd/4th line Dallas
Stalberg - 3rd line Chicago
Hendricks - 4th line Washington
Cullen - 2nd line Minny. (Not an upgrade to Fish/Legwand/Spaling for the $$)

Nothing against these guys at all.
But our top 6 wasn't addressed and no one should be surprised we continue to struggle offensively.
Stalberg saw 3rd line minutes on a currently elite team ... not simply a contender ... supporting my earlier post. Same for Cullen.

Our ES defense needs addressing ... did last season ... did the season before that as well. But it is so much easier to gripe about the lack of sexy scoring while overlooking that our ES defense hasn't topped 13th in the league since 2010-11.

Old
12-27-2013, 02:04 PM
Bushleaguer

Tied for 25th in scoring in the league, i think most here would settle for any type of scoring. Doesn't even have to be sexy. No clue where you pulled that from.

Bushleaguer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 02:45 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Third liners on elite teams, second liners on most contenders. Then again, these boards think all 1st round draft picks should be point per game players because there is so little perspective applied around here.
ill give you cullen, possibly. but stalberg is 3rd line at this point. ill let the year play out. 1st round picks are rarely PPG players unless they are top 10 and that's a crap shoot.

Old
12-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
ill give you cullen, possibly. but stalberg is 3rd line at this point. ill let the year play out. 1st round picks are rarely PPG players unless they are top 10 and that's a crap shoot.
Stalberg was my favorite UFA signing Poile made all summer. He's still young and wasn't going to crack the top two lines of Chicago while we overpaid I still think he'll become a solid predator.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 05:18 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Stalberg was my favorite UFA signing Poile made all summer. He's still young and wasn't going to crack the top two lines of Chicago while we overpaid I still think he'll become a solid predator.
he may develop into more. i like stalberg but we as a fan base put expectations on players that aren't based off reality. that's what having zero first line forwards will do.. we continuously try to figure out our next "offensive star" when we have zero.

Old
12-27-2013, 08:00 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
It's about one career PPG player per draft class dating back to 1990. If you look through the trade and draft threads over the past few years there are repeated calls for consistent 40+ goal scorers ... PPG players ... because expectations here are based on something closer to peyote than reality.

Old
12-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
he may develop into more. i like stalberg but we as a fan base put expectations on players that aren't based off reality. that's what having zero first line forwards will do.. we continuously try to figure out our next "offensive star" when we have zero.
I'd say he was the best player we could have realistically acquired, and we did. I don't know if I'd say I'm glad we signed him to the contract we did, but I am glad Poile was actually aggressive for once. Too bad he had to sign every last grinder out there.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 08:40 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

What are we basing 1st/2nd line players on, anyways? Are we saying a 1st liner scores 40/80 and a 2nd 30/60 or something? And how many of those type of players are there out in the NHL, anyways?

EDIT: Based on 82-game projections for this season, there's only 12 players in the NHL who meet criteria 1, and 50 more who meet criteria 2. All other things being equal, every team should have 2 "1st" or "2nd" liners on their team.

Last edited by jwhouk: 12-27-2013 at 08:46 PM.
jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
What are we basing 1st/2nd line players on, anyways? Are we saying a 1st liner scores 40/80 and a 2nd 30/60 or something? And how many of those type of players are there out in the NHL, anyways?

EDIT: Based on 82-game projections for this season, there's only 12 players in the NHL who meet criteria 1, and 50 more who meet criteria 2. All other things being equal, every team should have 2 "1st" or "2nd" liners on their team.
A first line guy should probably be in and around 60, and a second liner hovering around 50, depending on the average production around the league from year to year. Elite talent obviously goes far beyond that, but it's hard to place higher expectations than that, based on what the league averages seem to be year to year.

I always love when reading the prospect threads and seeing people make comments like "I see him being a solid second line guy, probably around 70-80 points a year." What, so you haven't watched hockey since the mid-Gretzky era?

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 09:40 PM
NoNecksCurse

imo..

1st liner - 65+ points consistently a year

2nd liner - 50-65 points

3rd liner - 30-50 points

4th liner - 15-30 points

Old
12-27-2013, 10:00 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

The league averages 120-130 players with 20+ goals in any season. 40+ scorers are rare in any single year ... consistent ones are those generational players that we wish the team could somehow acquire. The reality is that .6ppg and better career players are hard to find through the draft. Many players have an occasional season at that level of performance but can't do it year in, year out. There's a reason why the last time I ran the numbers that Legwand was the median performer for the second forward selected in a draft class since 1990 at just under .6ppg.

Old
12-27-2013, 10:39 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post

How many do the Preds have? How many have they had over the past few years?

Seems like zero. Didn't someone recently post that we've only had a player in the top 30 in PPG once in our entire existence? Or was it top 60? Either way, it's discouraging...

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote