HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Mact's performance thus far.

Old
12-27-2013, 04:56 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I respect your opinion but thats just wrong. Ference is a top 4 d on any team in the league. The problem is here were asking him to play top pairing minutes. The guys is averaging just under 21 min a night.
Agreed. He was the #3 or #4 dman his whole time in Boston. If he can be a legit 2nd pairing dman there, I don't see how he's suddenly a bottom pairing guy elsewhere. People need to better understand what a top 4 dman brings. A #4 dman can't play on the top pairing. Especially when he's paired up with a #3 instead of a legit top pairing guy. He's in over his head

12-27-2013, 05:58 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
is the team's regression MacT's fault?

Especially when he was active during the off season. I think the problem lies with the players. Namely the goaltending.
Their brutal start was partly due to the completely unnecessary coaching change, for yet again, a raw rookie.

This organizations biggest failing is the constant hiring of rookies in the positions of management and coach, usually with little or no competition for the job.

They fail doing the same things over and over.... insanity.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 06:12 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
Their brutal start was partly due to the completely unnecessary coaching change, for yet again, a raw rookie.

This organizations biggest failing is the constant hiring of rookies in the positions of management and coach, usually with little or no competition for the job.

Are you saying that you thought Krueger was okay or that the team is that bad regardless of who is coaching it? Not sure what direction you are taking. Perhaps a bit of both?

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 06:20 PM
LTIR

vCash: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Are you saying that you thought Krueger was okay or that the team is that bad regardless of who is coaching it? Not sure what direction you are taking. Perhaps a bit of both?
Why the help smilie? This team would suck no matter who was coaching it last year and this. Also, Kruger was fine as a coach in my opinion.
Get a solid goalie between pipes and a couple Dmen that are better than Petry and this team would look completely different.

Ference is a good #4/#5 Dman and only Dman better than him is Petry.
Belov looked good for a bit but is below Ference now. J.Schultz and rest of the gang is no better than #5..

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOiler View Post
Judging a GM at the 39 game mark after inheriting a team with issues/warts is just "j**king off".

Sorry but it takes a minimum of 2 years to start getting the team molded into what you want: that gives you time to undo what was done before.
I think that what you are saying makes some sense but this is a case where MacT had a roster with some obvious flaws and exacerbated them. He got rid of Smid to leave us with the wimpiest defense in the history of the game. He got rid of a coach who took a rookie-laden bottom-feeding team to within a couple weeks of the playoffs with no pre-season and brought in a dud.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 07:32 PM
GreatKeith

If the season were played out in whole the Oilers probably would've finished 29th or 30th again.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
Why the help smilie? This team would suck no matter who was coaching it last year and this. Also, Kruger was fine as a coach in my opinion.
Get a solid goalie between pipes and a couple Dmen that are better than Petry and this team would look completely different.

Ference is a good #4/#5 Dman and only Dman better than him is Petry.
Belov looked good for a bit but is below Ference now. J.Schultz and rest of the gang is no better than #5..
The help smiley because I was asking which direction he was leaning towards the coaching being a non-issue or if it was personnel related or both. Just seeking clarification.

For sure we would be better with a proper D corps and goalie. I doubt anybody disputes that. I guess the coaching change and its effect is what I wanted thoughts on from the OP.

I just wonder if both coaches are really all that good. We've seen some pretty silly things, having said that, neither has had the benefit of a true NHL line up.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Im saying Kruger wasnt that bad; certainly not so bad to replace him with a rookie. Mact had a hunch on Eakins. Either he made a bad call or he doesnt xpect to compete for a few years, allowing Eakins to learn on the job.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 11:47 PM
harpoon
FOB

I'll give MacT a 6/10 so far.
Not great, but better by far than the 2/10 Tamby scored pretty much every season.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 12:24 AM
rosemount289

I have to agree...........!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I'll give MacT a 6/10 so far.
Not great, but better by far than the 2/10 Tamby scored pretty much every season.
I have to agree with your rating............but 2/10 for Tamby might be a bit high......remember his MO was to do nothing..........and he lived up to it!!!

In eight months MacT did more than Tambellini did in three years.

rosemount289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 01:04 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post

Let's not forget the horrible scouting dept. Bringing Howson back is a plus but they need more of those guys. Guys like Waddell or Mike Barnett who have experience evaluating young talent in similar situations would be a first step. I dread nothings going to change as long as Lowe is involved.

Their biggest problem is there's no organizational guidance. They wing everything. MacT is a hard nose arrogant guy but he's in over his head. They missed out in Jim Nill for sure. Not that he would've come but Jesus. They didn't even try. They need hockey guys. Not former players who are in over their heads. Dudley turned down Buffalo but he's looking for the right team to take over. He'd be a great choice too. Player development guys like he, Waddell and Barnett would make a world of difference.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 08:27 AM
RisingSun

Starting at 10.

Draft pick trades -0.5
Fire Krueger -1
Hire Eakins, without other serious considerations. -2
Perron +2
Trade Horcoff +0.5
Grebeshkov -1