HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Breakfast with Lombardi thread!

Old
01-14-2007, 02:30 AM
riseandfall9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Did you even read what Lombardi said about Cammalleri?

"If Cammy's Agent see's him as a 35 goal scorer, he'll want a number (salary figure) that's way different than what we see him at..." -DL
In reference to trying to sign Cammy long term this coming offseason.

"I don't know if we had enough information to give Cammy what he wanted..." -DL
In reference to negotations with Cammy last offseason.

"The closer he gets to free agency the harder and harder it's gonna be (signing Cammy long term)...Someday I might have to give Cammy 5M over 10 years and it might not turn out." -DL

I think that says a lot. Cammy's young. He's proven he can score. From those comments alone, it doesn't seem like Lombardi is too positive that Cammy will want to stay here, or that he'll even be able to sign him. And that's the vibe I've always had with Cammalleri. He's already 24. He'll be a free agent in a few years, and he just doesn't seem like the kind of guy to sign with a rebuilding team like us for a decent salary long term. Is he really worth throwing more money at than he's worth? Say we sign him to one year deals until he hits free agency right when this team is about to compete. Will it be any good to have him bolt for free, or would it make far more sense to move him, even if that means moving him now, and get something valuable for him that will be around when we're going to be competitive?
I posted that over on LGK. It sounded like the talks between DL and Cammy agent didnt go well. "CAMMYS AGENT THINKS HES A 35+ GOAL SCORER" I got the vibe that Cammy was gone and then later on in the breakfast he mentioned that he wished Cammy was bigger.

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 09:28 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Exactly why some of us think Cammalleri is a goner.
I found it a bit odd that Lombardi chose to say "IF Cammy's Agent sees him as a 35-goal scorer". Cammalleri is currently on pace for a 30-goal season. Granted, there's still a lot of hockey to be played this season. Cammalleri's goal projection numbers could go up, down, or stay level. I don't think it's all that unreasonable to think Cammalleri might hit 35-goals. Certainly not a guarantee, but a possibility. It's going to be fun to watch Cammalleri's goal production leading up to the deadline.

I still think he's going to be one of the players moved at this deadline.

edit: The more I think about Lombardi's comments, the less I like them. He basically put it on Cammalleri's agent. To me, the "problem" is more likely the system. Specifically, Arbitration. More precisely, the salary Cammalleri might be awarded if his numbers for this season stay level or improve.

Last edited by King Blazer: 01-14-2007 at 09:46 AM.
King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 10:32 AM
graykt

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
That transcript leaves some stuff out. Heres some of things I thought were the most interesting:

"If Cammy's Agent see's him as a 35 goal scorer, he'll want a number (salary figure) that's way different than what we see him at..." -DL
In reference to trying to sign Cammy long term this coming offseason.

"I don't know if we had enough information to give Cammy what he wanted..." -DL
In reference to negotations with Cammy last offseason.

"The closer he gets to free angency the harder and harder it's gonna be (signing Cammy long term)...Someday I might have to give Cammy 5M over 10 years and it might not turn out." -DL
prediction for 2007-08: Cammy will have a breakout season, not in a Kings uniform...

graykt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Michigan Wolverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
edit: The more I think about Lombardi's comments, the less I like them. He basically put it on Cammalleri's agent. To me, the "problem" is more likely the system. Specifically, Arbitration. More precisely, the salary Cammalleri might be awarded if his numbers for this season stay level or improve.
It sounded like Lombardi is fairly comfortable with short-term risk. After all, he's kept all the deals he's made 3-years or (usually) less, and he mentioned to a few people that he was interested in re-signing Miller if the money and the term (read: short contract) were right. In that light, I don't think that a single arbitration award would be too concerning. What he doesn't want to do is give out a long-term large deal for POTENTIAL instead of proven ability. He very clearly states that in his comments. He would like to minimize his risk of an albatross contract, which means signing the right player at the right time for the right amount and term. He clearly has doubts about Cammalleri meeting those criteria right now.

Michigan Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

I expect conroy, norstrom, and miller to be shopped hard...if we are indeed going to eventually try to lock up lubo then our only real asset to trade becomes cammalleri.
nashville seems like a good option but are they just not interested or are they waiting so they can take on salary? i agree that any of their young D's would be worth it for him. maybe norstrom can snake one of them away. the goalteding has sucked beyond expectations but our defense is atrocious as well, even if they LOOK GOOD on paper. i hate to say it but it does look like we will, probably rightfully so, draft a defensemen...bye bye kane.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 12:28 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Wolverine View Post
It sounded like Lombardi is fairly comfortable with short-term risk. After all, he's kept all the deals he's made 3-years or (usually) less, and he mentioned to a few people that he was interested in re-signing Miller if the money and the term (read: short contract) were right. In that light, I don't think that a single arbitration award would be too concerning. What he doesn't want to do is give out a long-term large deal for POTENTIAL instead of proven ability. He very clearly states that in his comments. He would like to minimize his risk of an albatross contract, which means signing the right player at the right time for the right amount and term. He clearly has doubts about Cammalleri meeting those criteria right now.
Good points and I agree with what youíve written here. Given that last season was Cammalleriís first full NHL season, itís fairly reasonable to accept that they didnít have enough information on him when they were negotiating.

My thought is that at this point in the season, it really isnít all that unreasonable to me that Cammalleriís agent MIGHT see him as a 35-goal scorer. As I said in my previous post, thereís still a lot of hockey to be played this season and time will tell.

For discussion purposes, IF Cammalleri happens to hit 35-goals or just stay on his projected 30-goals for this season, would that still put him at a number thatís ďway different than what we see him atĒ?

Also, where did Lombardi come up with the $5mil for 10-yrs scenario? My guess is he probably pulled it out of his ***. Why even go there unless youíre setting yourself up to be the guy that had no alternatives when he trades Cammalleri?

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 12:38 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

I love the pushkarev story. He's always been one of hte prospects I had the highest hopes for, kind of disappointed me from what I heard from our Manchester folk. Nice to hear the backstory and an explanation for why he was so disappointing. I hope he continues on this path and becomes a beast for us.

Hats off to Lombardi for taking everything heads on without a PR spin. I like how he recognized our weaknesses and explicitly admitted it to the fans. This lets me know that they aren't just living in their own little worlds completely missing what we are seeing. Great listen and read. Thanks for all the transcribing that everyone did.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 03:36 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

I wouldn't sign ANYONE to a 10 year contract - it's just asking for problems down the line.

I also don't understand why Cammalleri isn't respected more around here. Even with less ice time and less time with quality linemates, Cammalleri and Frolov have nearly identical numbers for this season and last.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 03:38 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

I think Cammy would be a playoff warrior.

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 04:45 PM
Game Misconduct

I was sick and missed it.

Game Misconduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Osprey

This quote from Lombardi regarding drafting was interesting: "If two players are equal, I trend towards the defenseman. It's harder to find them." That sounds like they may favor Alzner in this year's draft if he's no worse than whichever forwards are still available.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 05:48 PM
Osprey

Regarding the discussion about Cammalleri, I believe that Lombardi is referring to them not knowing enough about Mike because they were all new to organization. I think that, if they were going to pay him like a 35-goal scorer, they wanted to see how he played in person, beforehand. I don't think that it has much to do with whether Cammalleri is a 35-goal scorer or not. Lombardi and crew just wanted to make the determination of his worth for themselves before committing sight unseen.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

There is a decent crop of defensemen available in the draft, with Alzner, Blum, Ellerby and Petrecki. Makes me wonder if Lombardi has a say in the picks, whereas in the past, Taylor completely relied on Al Murray's selections.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 03:38 AM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
For discussion purposes, IF Cammalleri happens to hit 35-goals or just stay on his projected 30-goals for this season, would that still put him at a number thatís ďway different than what we see him atĒ?
My interpretation is that Lombardi is all about proven worth. Until Cammy proves his agent right that he is a 35-goal scorer (assuming he indeed insinuated that), Lombardi isn't going to pay him like one. Just being on pace to be a 35 goal scorer won't be enough.

I would think however that if Cammy got even close (like say 32 goals), Lombardi would be more open to talking closer to Cammy's agent's numbers.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 04:00 AM
Venom_17

Am I the only one that has absolutely no love for Pushkarev? He is probably my least favorite of all the Kings' prospects.

I wouldn't shed a tear if he was shipped out as part of a package in order to get some nice defensive prospect depth.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 04:08 AM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17 View Post
Am I the only one that has absolutely no love for Pushkarev? He is probably my least favorite of all the Kings' prospects.

I wouldn't shed a tear if he was shipped out as part of a package in order to get some nice defensive prospect depth.
I thought the same but so far in his short time he has played well. Surprised the hell out of me.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 03:41 AM
styx66

I guess i now understand why there are more downloads of my gm breakfast recording than there are registered users at my site.

its all a learning experience next time you all won't be so lucky!!

YOU VILL REGISTER UNT YOU VILL LIKE IT

styx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 05:29 AM
styx66

a note: the direct link will no longer function. damn hackerz!

styx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
This quote from Lombardi regarding drafting was interesting: "If two players are equal, I trend towards the defenseman. It's harder to find them." That sounds like they may favor Alzner in this year's draft if he's no worse than whichever forwards are still available.
I noticed that too, but I think Lombardi is pretty high on Gillies and Turris, and hasn't really said anything about any defensemen...

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote