HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

GDT: 1/16 - New York Rangers @ New Jersey Devils - 7:30PM

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2007, 09:25 AM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Hossa has to dominate down low and get the puck to Shanny
Hossa and "dominate" in the same sentence? Wow.

Old
01-16-2007, 09:59 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Enter the era where Shanny is centered by Betts and has Hossa riding shotgun. Absolutely amazing. Way to put your team into a position for success, Tom. And where is Prucha, you might ask? Why on the 4th line off course, where he clearly belongs.
Unlike Betts and Hossa Prucha sucks. He does it continuously over this season. I loved the guy last year but ever since the knee injury he was a shadow of that guy that I liked. Thanks to Renney he is still in the lineup. In fact, the team plays better when he is scratched. The only use for him is PP. That is probably why he is on 4th line.

Old
01-16-2007, 10:01 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Unlike Betts and Hossa Prucha sucks. He does it continuously over this season. The
Alrighty then. a 4th liner and a bubble player are now better than him. Well, at least you are not blaming the goalies for this.
Quote:
Thanks to Renney he is still in the lineup. In fact, the team plays better when he is scratched.
I said it before and I'll say it again. You watch some Bizarro-world hockey.

Old
01-16-2007, 10:05 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
reputation does precede yourself, but the Devils are more disciplined than, say, the Rangers, that's for sure. Reputation or not.
Absolutely they are. Of course thats a part of it. But like any successful team in any particular sport, niches are carved as to the style of team they've become over time. I think that its over-apparent with a team like the Devils, more so than any other team in the NHL.

The Flyers had it in the 70's with the bullying... The Oilers in the 80's with their creativity. Two totally separate styles, both effective in their own right. Maybe what im getting at is that the opposition plays the reputation more than the opponent. Thats why there are so many shutouts with the Devils, sure Marty is good, but when teams come into CAA they immediately think defense and the entire game is focused on that. Kudos to the Devils making other teams play to them, but even the Refs get sucked in.

I guess thats more of an accurate argument than the bitterness of "they get the benefit of the doubt". I give credit where credit is due, but the Devils teams in the 90's built that reputation, now the latter teams hold onto it because its so damn effective.

But we've all seen the games theyve played this year (i was at the first 2) and its been lopsided as far as the calls have gone. In some cases, ridiculous. I've also kept an eye on games not against the Rangers and ive seen similar results.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 01-16-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Old
01-16-2007, 10:06 AM
The New Originals

Quote:
Unlike Betts and Hossa Prucha sucks. He does it continuously over this season. I loved the guy last year but ever since the knee injury he was a shadow of that guy that I liked. Thanks to Renney he is still in the lineup. In fact, the team plays better when he is scratched. The only use for him is PP. That is probably why he is on 4th line.
...am I watching the same Prucha as you?

Old
01-16-2007, 10:09 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingasitseems View Post
ditto

Old
01-16-2007, 10:10 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingasitseems View Post
I think hes talking about Hall.

Old
01-16-2007, 10:15 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Well, at least you are not blaming the goalies for this.
That is coming. Poor goaltending is the reason for low production of the bottom six. Only first line may not think about own goal since they possess the puck with better confidence. But even them sometimes have to look back once they realize that goal sucks royally. In that respect, yes, poor goaltending could be blamed for Prucha's bad scoring. Indirectly they (goalies) have contributed negatively. Not so much Prucha, but I am sure Betts ,Hossa and Co would score more should they not worry so much about weakness in their own end.

Old
01-16-2007, 10:26 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I think hes talking about Hall.
No, I'm done with that garbage. Unlike Prucha, who might come back next year, Hall is hopeless. No hands, no legs, just some head...

Old
01-16-2007, 10:30 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Anyone see that Shootout goal for the Blackhawks that originally counted but then they reviewed it and overturned it??

Chicago is complaining and they want to mandate HD cameras for replays now. That would be cool. I always thought they could be better suited and more creative with the cameras inside and around the net. Maybe this will get that talk going. Its pretty close. Maybe a better angle would have caught it.

http://www.chicagoblackhawks.com/index.asp

Go to "Shootout Goal Disallowed, Hawks Fall" and then "see the disallowed goal"

Old
01-16-2007, 10:40 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Wards in the DOGHOUSE

http://blogs.nydailynews.com/rangers/

"Ward says he has zero confidence"

“Tom called me saying that we picked up Jason Krog on Friday,” Ward said. “In my mind, I was saying, ‘Great, I’ll get back to the wing.’ And then all of a sudden, the next words out of his mouth were: ‘You might be a healthy scratch.’ From there, I never heard anything else.

Renney also said "Stop whining and put on that Kermit jersey over there, your punished." - kidding of course.

Old
01-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Fletch

Still trying to figure out why...

Ward's benched. He went from being on Jagr's line, out of place as a centerman, to being sat. And in all honesty, if Prucha's going to play with Hollweg and Orr, I'd rather see Ward in his spot - he's a better fourth liner and a better PKer (actually, he's one of this team's best PKers).

Old
01-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Ward's benched. He went from being on Jagr's line, out of place as a centerman, to being sat. And in all honesty, if Prucha's going to play with Hollweg and Orr, I'd rather see Ward in his spot - he's a better fourth liner and a better PKer (actually, he's one of this team's best PKers).
Fletch, I think we might as well stop trying to figure these things out.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
01-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Osminator

Quote:
GAME DAY THREADS

GMS
STARTER
RECORD
WIN %
HockeyBasedNYC
9-8-3
FlyLine88
3-2-1
DraftGuru
2-3-0
BigE
2-2-0
Osminator
3-0-0
AHall18NYR
2-1-0
Jagrstrakanylander
1-1-0
UAGoalieGuy
1-0-0
FatalNYR
0-1-0
Jon Prescription
0-1-0

Someone asked for the GDT records in the last one, here it is if anyone cares.
My nomination goes to Osminator for the next big game!

Lets Go Rangers!!
oh baby... 1.000 ...
next big game? every Ranger game this season seem to be a big game... lol...

Go Rangers!

Old
01-16-2007, 11:03 AM
Fletch

Would love to, Jon...

but everyday it seems to be something different.

Old
01-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
BIG GAME TONIGHT WORTH 4 POINTS!!!!! LET' GO RANGERS!!!!

I really think Renney is going to dress Orr over hall just because it is the devils and he wants a big physical presence out there for the Rangers.

I think Hossa and Shanny on the same line is a good idea, Hossa has been looking great holding the puck and is really developing confidence, maybe now that he has someone to dish the puck too shanny will start scoring more and hossa will become a good playmaker.

Old
01-16-2007, 11:17 AM
eco's bones

Some of these line combinations are senseless. Betts has 3 f***ing assists in a season and a half and he's going to center Shanahan again?--something that's already been tried and didn't work. Prucha thrown in as a center all of a sudden between Hollweg and Orr? What is Orr going to do in this one? He's got no dancing partner. Is Petr going to help these two get on the scoreboard? And it's funny that Ward scores a goal and an assist in one game and gets benched the next two. Now he hasn't been great this year but he's a better player than Colton Orr by about a hundred miles. This is flat out idiotic.

Old
01-16-2007, 11:25 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Betts has 3 f***ing assists in a season and a half and he's going to center Shanahan again?
Yeah Mr. Blair "im only looking at the goalie on odd-man rushes" Betts.

He only has 8 assists in almost 150 NHL games and he's the second line swing man for Shanny... Brilliant!

Old
01-16-2007, 11:27 AM
DontStaal

Quote:
same goes for Cullen... so the only other "reasonable" option would be center Straka with Shanny and Hossa. Then move Prucha up with Nylander and Jagr where he seems to play well, but I'm not Renney.

Old
01-16-2007, 11:27 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
I dont see how Immonen cant make this team over Betts. Immonen is good defensively and has alot more scoring potential.

Old
01-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Rangers_23
Beuke!

Send a message via AIM to Rangers_23 Send a message via MSN to Rangers_23
Wow, just when you think Renney can't do anything weirder, he pulls something like this out of his ***. Ridiculous.

It pisses me off that Renney's BS is causing me to start to lose interest in the games.

Regardless, Lets Go Rangers.

Old
01-16-2007, 11:48 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
I dont see how Immonen cant make this team over Betts. Immonen is good defensively and has alot more scoring potential.
Immonen should at least get another shot at centering the second line. I'm not saying Betts has to sit for him, but just get him in the lineup. I know Renney has qualms about his skating ability to keep up with the play, but you can't tell me that Immonen could be any worse at setting up Shanahan AND Prucha (who should also be on the 2nd line) once he gets into the zone. It's not like Shanny has scored a ton of his goals off odd-man rushes where he's blazing down the ice and Immonen won't be able to skate with him.

Betts' job is to play good defensive hockey, kill penalties and win some faceoffs (50.6% and trails Cullen). It's not his job to set up scoring wingers.

Old
01-16-2007, 11:58 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
Immonen should at least get another shot at centering the second line. I'm not saying Betts has to sit for him, but just get him in the lineup. I know Renney has qualms about his skating ability to keep up with the play, but you can't tell me that Immonen could be any worse at setting up Shanahan AND Prucha (who should also be on the 2nd line) once he gets into the zone. It's not like Shanny has scored a ton of his goals off odd-man rushes where he's blazing down the ice and Immonen won't be able to skate with him.

Betts' job is to play good defensive hockey, kill penalties and win some faceoffs (50.6% and trails Cullen). It's not his job to set up scoring wingers.
agreed. id rather j ward, orr and hall be scratches. hall needs to play better, i hope he knows it.

Old
01-16-2007, 12:07 PM
True Blue

Quote:
That is coming. Poor goaltending is the reason for low production of the bottom six.

Not so much Prucha, but I am sure Betts ,Hossa and Co would score more should they not worry so much about weakness in their own end.
The hits just keep on coming with you, don't they? Yes, it is clear now. It's Henke's fault that Hossa struggles to put points on the board at the NHL level. Last year it was the fact that Jagr & Co. would not share the puck with him, according to you. Now it is Henke. And it's Henke's fault that Betts has two assists in over 80 games. Crystal clear.

Old
01-16-2007, 12:14 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
That is coming. Poor goaltending is the reason for low production of the bottom six. Only first line may not think about own goal since they possess the puck with better confidence. But even them sometimes have to look back once they realize that goal sucks royally. In that respect, yes, poor goaltending could be blamed for Prucha's bad scoring. Indirectly they (goalies) have contributed negatively. Not so much Prucha, but I am sure Betts ,Hossa and Co would score more should they not worry so much about weakness in their own end.
You seem to make a habit out of taking a kernel of truth and then running with it in all sorts of odd directions.

Has our goaltending been worse than last year? Undoubtadely, you can easily gather as much from their inferior SV%. However, a large part of Henrik's struggles comes from the much higher quality of shots surrendered this year. Some of it has to do with a declining attention to defense on the part of the forwards. The other part is a sharp decline in play by our defensive D's. Kaspar is a shadow of the player he was last year. Malik was our best defender last year. This season he's lucky to be in the line-up some nights. While Tjutin has improved his physical play, positionally he either regressed or at best stayed at last year's level. Ward is an upgrade on Strudwick, but Rachunek has been a defensive downgrade from Poti's play in the latter part of last year. At best, the two are a slight improvement. What's crucial though, is the fall-off in play by Malik and Kasper. They were a source of defensive stability, especially on the PK. Fix Malik, and you fix a lot of Rangers' own zone woes along with the faltering PK.

Prucha has to take responsibility for a lot of his struggles. However, his handling has ranged from indifferent to disastrous. To be squeezed out of the top 9 by waiver wire trash like Krog is preposterous. He hasn't been THAT bad. Playing him with stone-hands Hollweg and Orr is sheer lunacy. How well would Straka do with those two?

The only part I don't have a problem with is Hossa flanking Shanny. However, Betts in the middle makes the task an uphill struggle for both. I realize there aren't a lot of options. To me though, either the banished Immonen or the suddenly out-of-favor Ward would been a better choice in the middle. Hell, you could even try Prucha as a 2nd line center. That wouldn't put him anymore out of position than he is now.

Closed Thread