HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trautwig on VS?

Old
01-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Trautwig on VS?

I admit to watching VS as infrequent as possible (Center Ice just ended its last game and I like watching 24 without commercials), so 'VS' is is, but man, has this guy performed a snow job on the entire sportscasting industry. Is it just me? I think he's mostly horrible at every thing he's done - I'd rather here Steve Cangelosi (or Bob 'The Bullet' Page, or even the Kid from Brooklyn!) out there (both exaggerations, but I'm not even sure Al knows the players and the sports! (exaggeration in the sense that Bob's not employable, and the Kid from Brooklyn would only work best in a rant, and given freedom of speech)).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 08:41 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
From the business side, Al is probably one of the most valuable people in the industry. Hes so versatile- he can do anything. NHL, NBA, AFL, Tour De France- you name it, and he can do it.

I dont think they guy is that bad. He cant be an " expert " since he covers so many areas in sports.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 09:33 PM
Kendo

Al can be a little bit of a dimwit at times, but he does know his knicks and rangers.

I like him though. Did anyone catch his cameo in Cool Runnings?

Go Jam!!!

Kendo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 09:34 PM
BRONX_MADNESS*

This guy is a scrub...

Stick to women's golf Trautwig, stick to women's golf...

BRONX_MADNESS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 09:46 PM
In The Flesh

I like him, he does good interviews. THOug I only seen him doing the rangers and knicks.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 11:03 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I saw him too when I was watching parts of the Montreal-Detroit game on VS. And I have to admit I was a little surprised to see him there. For hockey, I just don't like him at all. I guess for me, I like all the guys who are doing the game, even the desk guys, to be fairly knowledgeable about the sport they're covering. Trautwig just doesn't know a lot about hockey outside of a cursory knowledge of the Rangers recent history and maybe some Devils and Islanders.

Trautwig has always struck me as a guy who has a nice demeanor on camera and a good deep voice, but that's about hit. Seems to me like he's gotten as far as he has because of these reasons rather than his knowledge of any sport.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 12:35 AM
WheresBarnaby

I like him, he's obviously a big Rangers fan, and he's very good in interviews. His play by play sucks, but I haven't heard him do it more than once years ago. Overall I like Al, but I'd take Joe in Al's position and Don Maloney in the booth w/Sam.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 01:33 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Saw that as well, and I was rather confused.

Is Al desperately looking for the bucks, or is VS just that high on him? He does good interviews, and is good at the tv aspect of things, but lacks a little knowledge in the sports department. Personally, I think he would be good for something like 20/20 or Dateline.

Remember one thing, he's not as bad as some of the toolbags on ESPN/2/News who attempt to do the hockey highlights and have no clue of what a one-timer is or can't pronounce ANY of the players last names properly.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 02:07 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Well, VS have a relationship with Al from the Tour de France coverage, so perhaps that, along with the work he does with the Rangers, is why they drafted him in.

I like Al. He doesn't necessarily know as much as other 'experts' but he never really pretends to, either. It strikes me that the guy just loves sports and is basically a sponge for information about whatever he is working on. His work for the Rangers is constantly improving, as is his work for the Tour. On the Winter Olympics...he could still use some work. What are the odds he does the upcoming America's Cup coverage? Rather than being a former player or an expert, Al is like watching a superfan who has gotten the best job in the world. He's kind of the anti-Bob Page (whatever happened to that guy and his hilariously bitter rants anyway?).

I also enjoy it when Al gets annoyed with a player for doing something unsportsmanlike or a fan for swearing on camera, like he feels part of his job is to protect all the kids who are watching and he takes it seriously. Love it.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 02:37 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

I abhor him. Hes a nitwit, a moron, and arrogant as heck. I tend to press mute when hes talking.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 06:30 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I admit to watching VS as infrequent as possible (Center Ice just ended its last game and I like watching 24 without commercials), so 'VS' is is, but man, has this guy performed a snow job on the entire sportscasting industry. Is it just me? I think he's mostly horrible at every thing he's done - I'd rather here Steve Cangelosi (or Bob 'The Bullet' Page, or even the Kid from Brooklyn!) out there (both exaggerations, but I'm not even sure Al knows the players and the sports! (exaggeration in the sense that Bob's not employable, and the Kid from Brooklyn would only work best in a rant, and given freedom of speech)).
Bill Clement usually hosts the VS studio coverage.Al Trautwig just fills in for Clement on certain occassions.Clement worked the NBC NHL coverage on Saturday so he must have needed a day off

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 06:38 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Bob Page is crazy.WFAN gave him an opportunity/try out a while ago.It was after a Super Bowl.Page started his show by asking why the black guys dance on the field after making a big play-sack,scored a TD,etc.Why don't the white guys do the same thing?Was it a cultural thing?WFAN never gave him a second try.Page got fired from MSG when he ripped into the Rangers/Garden for firing Colin Campbell and hiring John Muckler.His contract was allowed to expire.Page called Muckler the Rangers "latest" coach.After he was fired from MSG,he disappeared.Page worked for ABC radio until recently

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 07:09 AM
94now

Being a Canadian, Al is supposed to know about hockey a bit...

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 09:11 AM
Avery316
guilty as charged

Holy crap did anyone hear beezer colouring during the sharks/avs game, I felt bad for the guy, yikes.

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Al probably has one of the nicest voices for TV out there.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 11:16 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I like him more than Crispino.

But neither of them should ever.... EVER step foot in a hockey play by play booth for as long as they live.

Thats it.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 01:09 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

never been a fan of Troutwig or Giannone (or however you spell it)

Aside from Rosen, I'm not impressed with any of the announcers in MSG and that goes for both the Rangers and Knicks where they are Swishin and dishin?

Anyway, I'd love to see the Rangers get the Buffalo Play by Play guy Rick Jeanneret

He's awesome

check out a few of his calls.

http://www.sabres.com/radio.cfm

sweet

a few others.

http://staffannouncer.com/blog/?p=19

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 01:15 PM
VisionQuest*

Sharks/Avs had the worst crew, ever.

Beezer was miserable at color, and the Ducks guy is one of the worst PxP in the league.

Trautwig isnt that bad. He's actually perfect for his job. He just has to be knowledage and coherent.

Some people find something to complain about, no matter who you're talking about.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 02:04 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I like him more than Crispino.

But neither of them should ever.... EVER step foot in a hockey play by play booth for as long as they live.

Thats it.
Why do you guys hate Crispino so much? You speak of him as the devil. I dont think hes that bad at all. It could be worse though, Mike Emrick could be doing the PBP.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I saw him on VS last night to and was a little shocked as well, but honestly he didnt do a bad job. Does anyone know where the VS studio is?

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 02:17 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Not bad...I'd love to see him just stick to the Rangers like Gianone

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Choice

Bob Page was crazy, I wonder what hes up to now

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 03:46 PM
polako

I'm not very fond of Trautwig

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 04:31 PM
VisionQuest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
I saw him on VS last night to and was a little shocked as well, but honestly he didnt do a bad job. Does anyone know where the VS studio is?
New York. Their corporate/sales/etc offices are in Los Angeles.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 and 14 View Post
New York. Their corporate/sales/etc offices are in Los Angeles.
Thats what I thought, thanks.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote