HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers offense

Old
01-16-2007, 06:30 AM
Yanner39

vCash: 500
Oilers offense

This is not a rant thread or to crap on MacT and the coaching staff. Why is the offense struggling badly.

http://www.edmontonsun.ca/Sports/Oil...88107-sun.html

Here are a few stats:

EV+ 81 goals EV- 88 goals

GPG = 2.76 25th in the league.

Is the strategy employed by the coaching staff not condusive to generating offense. I am not a coach and not up to speed with the different strategies so that's why I am asking.

I was watching Buffalo the other day and man for man, I can't say the Buffalo forwards are better that the Oiler forwards (they are also not worst). So what is it? Why is it than when I watch the Sabres, it's high energy, fast skating hockey where scoring chances are generated also each shift. The only thing I can really think of is that the Sabres have defensemen who can actually make a pass out of their zone to the forwards.

I watch the Oilers-Flames game the other night and the Oilers didn't generate anything. CGY is a great defensive team, but the Oilers were supposed to be a great offensive team.

I am glad MacT wants his forwards to be defensively responsible, but at this point in time what have they nothing to lose.

Last edited by Yanner39: 01-16-2007 at 09:00 AM.
Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 08:33 AM
oilerdynasty

MacT's employs a passive and safe system. one man in on the dump in, one man in on the fore check, and one guy usually battling on the boards. He plays not to lose. He's more worried about the odd chance going back than the many more goals they could score with a second forward in on any of those plays. And forget about the defense pinching in much, Smith and Staios are too slow to get back if anything gets by and they play the most minutes aside from Tjarnqvist.

oilerdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanner39 View Post
This is not a rant thread or to crap on MacT and the coaching staff. Why is the offense struggling badly.

http://www.edmontonsun.ca/Sports/Oil...88107-sun.html

Here are a few stats:

EV+ 81 goals EV- 88 goals

GPG = 2.76 25th in the league.

Is the strategy employed by the coaching staff not condusive to generating offense. I am not a coach and not up to speed with the different strategies so that's why I am asking.

I was watching Buffalo the other day and man for man, I can't say the Buffalo forwards are better that the Oiler forwards (they are also not worst). So what is it? Why is it than when I watch the Sabres, it's high energy, fast skating hockey where scoring chances are generated also each shift. The only thing I can really think of is that the Sabres have defensemen who can actually make a pass out of their zone to the forwards.

I watch the Oilers-Flames game the other night and the Oilers didn't generate anything. CGY is a great defensive team, but the Oilers were supposed to be a great offensive team.

I am glad MacT wants his forwards to be defensively responsible, but at this point in time what have they nothing to lose.
This club can score goals while playing MacT's system. In fact for the first time in a long while we benefit from having some snipers.
This team has in previous years survived on a lot of bang it in goals. Bringing the puck close to the crease and finding a way. Many of the Oilers goals were scored within 20 ft of the net.(except point shot screens) Curiously the presence of guys who can actually score from outside that range has seemingly removed the urgency to get the hardwork goals.

We play a softer game for the most part now suggesting we don't need those goals

Theres not been enough effective sustained possession in the offensive zone. This club is fairly built to tire opposition D instead of our own.... but is not cycling, making good dumps, maintaining puck, winning puck battles well enough. For instance only 4 players on this club have more puck takeaways than giveaways.

Additionally if the forwards weren't cheating to breakout so much we would improve our breakout game(theres often too much separation between O - D which often results in our OD...

With the work, the goals come and more than we had before with this lineup.

The work is whats been missing IMO.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote