HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2012 Draft Top 10 redone today...

Old
12-27-2013, 10:46 PM
Smif

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scdn View Post
How far people drop Reilly is interesting. He's shown as much potential as players people have jumped over him.
His potential >>> a lot of players, he just isn't finishing yet. I would have a very hard time trading him for anyone from 2012.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 10:50 PM
scdn

Yeah he's hit at least 3 posts this year including one tonight.

scdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 11:57 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
I wouldn't trade Girgensons for anyone in this draft.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 12:03 AM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

vCash: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Yeah okay man.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 12:05 AM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

Quote:
How far people drop Reilly is interesting. He's shown as much potential as players people have jumped over him.
What like Lindholm, Trouba, or Hertl? No.

Old
12-28-2013, 12:07 AM
Bullseyes

Quote:

I find it hard to re-do a draft that's only a year or so old. Most of these players aren't playing in the NHL and if they are, their so early in their careers/developments that it's hard to rank them.

Bullseyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 12:15 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Yeah okay man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseyes View Post

I find it hard to re-do a draft that's only a year or so old. Most of these players aren't playing in the NHL and if they are, their so early in their careers/developments that it's hard to rank them.
No offense, but I really don't think you have a clue about that kid. Look at his corsi compared to the rest of the Sabres Forwards, his +/- compared to other Sabres forwards. While players like Galchenyuk and Hertl have had the luxury of being cogs on their teams, Girgensosn has emerged as the best forward the Sabres have basically through sheer determination. I'm sorry, the 8 more points Galchenyuk has while Girgensons was feeling his way through wouldn't make me want him more.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 12:51 AM
MagnumForce

Quote:
Same here.

MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 12:59 AM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

Quote:
Actually yes.

A1LeafNation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 04:03 AM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeJerry View Post
I'm not disappointed to hear it but is Galchenyuk pretty much the clear cut #1 guy?

Is 2012 considered an average draft or better or worse?
Considering the ammount of guys that have made an impact 2 years later I say it is pretty strong especially on the back end.

Quote:
He is similar to Fowler but Fowler developed a defensive game. Time will tell if Reilly can. i have my doubts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
His potential >>> a lot of players, he just isn't finishing yet. I would have a very hard time trading him for anyone from 2012.
I take Trouba Lindholm over him any day.

Quote:
This is lunacy. He isnt even in the top 2 forwards let alone all the stud defensemen.

Gliff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 05:13 AM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
So how often exactly do you watch the other guys? Cause I have Rielly in TWO dynasty leagues and I still don't have him in my top 5 right now.

Old
12-28-2013, 05:50 AM
Malkin112

2012 draft year seems pretty deep, but is lacking high-end talents.

Malkin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 07:10 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
A draft is not based solely on who is further along, but who has more potential. That said I've watched them both and I like Ceci better right now in terms of what he brings to the team and the ice. As soon as Ceci was called up to Ottawa they've done a near 180 in terms of on ice play. Not solely due to him, but he's been huge for the team so far. He was also dominating the AHL before being called up, and was a monster in junior.

Trouba has not stood out as much IMO in the Jets games I've seen as Ceci has in Ottawa.
Trouba has been a top 3 star in 2 of the last 3 games, despite only getting 1 assist in those 3 games. He's been voted top 3 because he does so many things for the Jets and impacts the game all over the ice. I suggest you watch a little more closely next time.

Trouba plays 21 minutes a game, including 3 minutes a game on the pk and 2 minutes a game on the pp.

Ceci isn't getting those same minutes yet. He's been good in the 8 games he's played but he hasn't leapfrogged all the players you listed below him.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 07:19 AM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post

Trouba plays 21 minutes a game, including 3 minutes a game on the pk and 2 minutes a game on the pp.

Ceci isn't getting those same minutes yet.
Ceci - 19 minutes, 3 PP 2 PK.
Trouba - 21 minutes 2PP 3PK

I'd say those are pretty equivalent minutes.

Trouba is still playing better IMHO though.

ottawah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 08:05 AM
FrankMTL

I've been very impressed with the 2012 crop of defencemen so far. When looking at this list, any of these players could be Top 2 or 3 defencemen on their team (if they aren't already) within 2-3 years.

Murray
Rielly
Lindholm
Trouba
Ceci
Maata

I think we can also add Reinhart to that list as although he's not yet in the NHL, he has the potential to be a dominating player. Dumba will also be a good player, although like Subban was (and in some peoples opinions, still is) he is still a little rough around the edges.

I'm thrilled the Habs drafted Galchenyuk as I do think he'll be the best player of this draft and we really needed this type of player, but I would have been very happy getting any of the above players, especially Trouba and Lindholm.

FrankMTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 09:42 AM
AirBriere48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
Considering the ammount of guys that have made an impact 2 years later I say it is pretty strong especially on the back end.

He is similar to Fowler but Fowler developed a defensive game. Time will tell if Reilly can. i have my doubts.

This is lunacy. He isnt even in the top 2 forwards let alone all the stud defensemen.
Buffalo doesn't need any more defensemen, so it really isn't "lunacy". Galchenyuk is the only one I would consider trading him for. Girgensons is going to become a premier power/possession forward in a few years.

AirBriere48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 10:10 AM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
I think it's funny, because I have watched nearly every game they have played in the NHL, and I'll tell ya, Girgensons is considered untouchable by Sabres fans. I love Grigorneko's potential, but he'd have to max out to surpass the contributions Girgs will be making for this squad. If Grigorenko becomes anything less than a top line center...I strongly believe Girgs will be more valuable. It's only an opinion, you're right, but as of right now management has been praising Girgs.

Girgs did look great against the Leafs last night. But being ahead of another prospect in development doesn't guarantee that he will be the better NHL'r down the road. Take Tyler Myers for example, in his Calder winning rookie season, he was well ahead of most prospects from his draft, if his development was linear he'd be a Norris winner by now...instead, he's been eclipsed by many of the prospects whom he was much superior too in his rookie season.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
1) Galchenyuk
We've all seen him, he's damn, damn good, with huge upside.

2/3) Yakupov/Hertl
Tough for me to decide between these two. Not a fan of Yakupov's attitude, needs to learn to work hard and play d, but his talent is definitely exceptional. Hertl is better right now, and hasn't been causing the same locker room drama, but I feel his upside might not be quite as high.

4/5/6/7) Murray/Rielly/Lindholm/Trouba
I really can't really distinguish between these 4, all awesome in their own way. I all lots of drafts any one of these guys would be the top dman in the draft, but this draft was crazy stacked on d. You could probably merge these 4 and Yakupov/Hertl, tough to decide between any of these 6.

8) Teravainen
I like his skill set a lot, when he makes it to the NHL I think people are going to be very impressed.

9) Forsberg
Love his talent, big frame too.

10) Maata
Lot's of options here, but I went with Maata, smart dman who is already looking quite good in the NHL.
I agree with this. I have these guys all rated next to each other as well, and I thought the order could have gone any way.

Old
12-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Smif

Quote:
So how often exactly do you watch the other guys? Cause I have Rielly in TWO dynasty leagues and I still don't have him in my top 5 right now.
Two Dynasty Leagues!?!?

The only one I don't get to see is Lindholm.

Old
12-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post

IMO Rielly's D game is better than Fowler's in his first year.

Old
12-28-2013, 12:04 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Just wondering, but have you seen Rielly in the last 10 games? He's looked very good in the offensive end, up and down defensively (which is to be expected from a 19 y/o dman), but you can see why fans would say he has top end potential..

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 12:25 PM
scdn

Quote:
Lots of players from the draft have played well, but Reilly has more than held his own in the league and shown great potential.

Was just noticing some people dropping him to 10th or out of the top 10 completely.

scdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Mike203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Girgs did look great against the Leafs last night. But being ahead of another prospect in development doesn't guarantee that he will be the better NHL'r down the road. Take Tyler Myers for example, in his Calder winning rookie season, he was well ahead of most prospects from his draft, if his development was linear he'd be a Norris winner by now...instead, he's been eclipsed by many of the prospects whom he was much superior too in his rookie season.
Interesting that you bring up Myers. He's playing great, better than his Calder year. He's back on track to being a top 10D in a few years. Defenseman take longer to develop than forwards do. Girgensons game is a power game with high energy. I doubt he's going to have the same issues as Myers. Girgensons is also playing against the top lines of other teams so he's not playing protected minutes like Myers did in his rookie year.

I watched the game last night against Toronto. Girgensons was one of the best players on the ice. Were was Reilly who is supposed to be better than Girgensons?

The reason Girgensons was drafted later (14th) was because he played in the USHL and the scouts weren't sure of his offensive potential. To play in the NHL from the USHL in two years is unbelievable. His offensive potential is moving up with 7 points in the last 10 games (for a Sabres forward that is unbelievable).

The intangibles is what Girgensons has in spades. He's the hardest working player on and off the ice and is probably our future captain. These are the reasons that Buffalo fans wouldn't trade Girgensons for anybody in 2012 draft year (as insane as it seems).

Mike203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 12:33 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritzky98 View Post
1) Yakupov
2) Murray
3) Grigorenko
4) Trouba
5) Galchenyuk
6) Forsberg
7) Rielly
8) Reinhart
9) Lindholm
10) Vasilevski
That is the worst list i've ever seen

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 12:33 PM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike203 View Post
Interesting that you bring up Myers. He's playing great, better than his Calder year. He's back on track to being a top 10D in a few years. Defenseman take longer to develop than forwards do. Girgensons game is a power game with high energy. I doubt he's going to have the same issues as Myers. Girgensons is also playing against the top lines of other teams so he's not playing protected minutes like Myers did in his rookie year.

I watched the game last night against Toronto. Girgensons was one of the best players on the ice. Were was Reilly who is supposed to be better than Girgensons?

The reason Girgensons was drafted later (14th) was because he played in the USHL and the scouts weren't sure of his offensive potential. To play in the NHL from the USHL in two years is unbelievable. His offensive potential is moving up with 7 points in the last 10 games (for a Sabres forward that is unbelievable).

The intangibles is what Girgensons has in spades. He's the hardest working player on and off the ice and is probably our future captain. These are the reasons that Buffalo fans wouldn't trade Girgensons for anybody in 2012 draft year (as insane as it seems).

You already answered your own question.