HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

who doesn't have their jersey retired, but should?

Old
11-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

vCash: 500
Lindros's 88 for the Flyers. If/When he makes the HOF they'll probably retire it.

11-04-2013, 07:39 PM
overg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbler View Post
One of the few-if not only-who think Osgood's 30 should go up in Detroit.
I'm a big fan of the Red Wings ultra strict approach. As of this moment I'd be against any more players from the 90's on being added to the list. Zetterberg and Datsyuk could conceivably play their way onto my "yes" list, but either would have to add a couple of big notches to their resume to get there for me. Basically, I like the retired numbers being reserved for the absolute highest legends of the Wings' organization.

overg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 04:24 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

The biggest atrocity atm is Red Kelly in Detroit.

HM. Park and Ratelle for the Rangers.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 05:15 AM
Keeptdos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyFox View Post
Paul Kariya should be retired in Anaheim. I don't think it is. What's the story about that?
Selanne going to be first to have his jersey retired in there. Then Niedermayer and Kariya.

Keeptdos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 07:17 AM
Horvath Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
The biggest atrocity atm is Red Kelly in Detroit.

HM. Park and Ratelle for the Rangers.
why isn't Red Kelly's jersey retired. is there something behind that? his Toronto years perhaps?

it would be weird if Wings would retire Osgood's number or even Fedorov's when they haven't done it for Kelly.

Horvath Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyFox View Post
why isn't Red Kelly's jersey retired. is there something behind that? his Toronto years perhaps?

it would be weird if Wings would retire Osgood's number or even Fedorov's when they haven't done it for Kelly.
Its a remnant from the days where he tried to start a union and Art Ross punished him by trading him to the Hawks.

Why they havent retired it after Art Ross was gone is beyond me.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 03:03 PM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

Hasek's # in Buffalo. The guy led them to a lot of good success in the 90's, no way should they not have his # retired.

11-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Its a remnant from the days where he tried to start a union and Art Ross punished him by trading him to the Hawks.

Why they havent retired it after Art Ross was gone is beyond me.
You are thinking of Ted Lindsay not Red Kelly

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 08:52 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
You are thinking of Ted Lindsay not Red Kelly
The story with Kelly was that he was asked by a reporter why he had played so poorly the previous season. Kelly told him it was probably due to the broken ankle he had been playing on. His revealing this information infuriated the dictatorial Jack Adams, who summarily traded him to the Rangers. Kelly declared he would rather retir than play for New York. After a brief standoff a trade was worked out to Toronto, which Kelly also disliked, but settled for.

ForsbergForever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 10:54 AM
cynicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Hasek's # in Buffalo. The guy led them to a lot of good success in the 90's, no way should they not have his # retired.
Not while Darcy's still GM. Hasek scuttled any chance of Buffalo getting a good return from trading him by telling Detroit he'd rather retire than see a trade that would take a core player out of Detroit.

cynicism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicism View Post
Not while Darcy's still GM. Hasek scuttled any chance of Buffalo getting a good return from trading him by telling Detroit he'd rather retire than see a trade that would take a core player out of Detroit.
Kind of understandable with the kind of bum skaters he had been playing with for a decade. I mean, he's a goalie after all and they're all crazy.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 12:05 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
The Blackhawks haven't retired any jerseys from the pre-Hull/Mikita years...

The most noteworthy absence has to be Charlie Gardiner, especially considering how he left the team.

Earl Seibert is another very notable omission...the guy only had 9 post season AS teams while on the Hawks.

Doug Bentley is another worth mentioning
I couldn't agree more.

He played though his illness , unaware how serious it was , sometimes collapsing during intermissions with fevers as high as 103 degrees.

He won 2 Vezina trophies , numerous allstars and was the first goalie to win catching with his right hand.

He was a 1945 HOF inductee and a true hockey hero.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Maccer
Bring back Pat!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noheart II View Post
I personally think the criteria for retired jerseys get weaker by the decade.

In a nutshell, we have gone too far as it is, stop retiring every dam captain you had, especially if they never did bring home a cup.

I'm looking at you Toronto and Vancouver.
You do realize Toronto has only retired 2 numbers? You probably didn't know that and I doubt you even know why they retired those numbers, you should know your history before you attack a team.

Maccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Seventeen Twos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccer View Post
You do realize Toronto has only retired 2 numbers? You probably didn't know that and I doubt you even know why they retired those numbers, you should know your history before you attack a team.
Came to post this. Thanks. Leafs only retire numbers for players who had a significant career contribution, and whose careers ended suddenly or tragically while still a member of the team, hence Barilko and Bailey.

...Which makes you wonder of the Gilmour injury in his last game .. but that's another thread entirely.

Seventeen Twos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 03:07 AM
Peter9

Montreal Canadiens Retired Jersey Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicism View Post
Or maybe just a third digit? Maybe 500 years from now the polar ice caps will have melted and Montreal will be 100 feet under. Maybe 500 years from now you'll be able to download Montreal bagels. Maybe 500 years from now hockey will be contact free and they'll use railgun technology to shoot pucks at 200 mph. You'll need a better argument than 500 years from now.

It's up to each franchise to decide for themselves. The standards for jersey retirement shouldn't be as high as entrance to the hall of fame because the latter is a higher honour than the former. Just because Trevor Linden or Wendel Clark won't make the hhof doesn't mean their contributions aren't worth recognizing by the teams they played for.
Although the Canadiens have a large number of retired jersey numbers, the standard for retirement of Canadiens jersey numbers is considerably higher than entrance to the Hockey Hall of Fame. There are quite a few Canadiens Hall of Famers who have not had their jersey numbers retired and who never will have them retired. All those who have had their jerseys retired are members of the Hockey Hall of Fame. The practice may well be different with other clubs, though, because, as you correctly point out, it is up to each club to decide what standards to employ.

In the 1950s, when I started following the NHL, the Canadiens had retired only one jersey number, Howie Morenz's No. 7, and he was regarded as a special case because his death was viewed as game-related. He died on March 8, 1937 from a heart attack suffered while he was hospitalized for multiple leg fractures incurred during a game on January 28, 1937, and his number was retired at the start of the following season, on November 2, 1937.

It wasn't until October 6, 1960, about three weeks after Maurice Richard retired on September 15, 1960, that the Canadiens retired another jersey number, his No. 9. And the third number retired, Jean Beliveau's No. 4, did not come until October 9, 1971, at the start of the season following his retirement. The fourth, Henri Richard's No. 16, came on December 10, 1975, shortly after his retirement. The fifth and sixth Canadiens jerseys retired were Guy Lafleur's No. 10 on February 16, 1985, soon after his first retirement from hockey, and Doug Harvey's No. 2, on October 26, 1985, belated because he left the club under acrimonious circumstances due to his players association activities. The seventh, Jacques Plante's No. 1 on October 7, 1995, was so belated that it was posthumous.

Those seven jersey number retirements were all there were in the 20th Century over the first 91 years of the Canadiens' existence. I doubt anyone would quarrel about the retirement of any of these seven jersey numbers (provided one accepts the idea of jersey number retirement as an appropriate way of honoring players who have made exceptional contributions to the club, a proposition which, as noted in my comment above, I do not accept).

Another 10 jersey retirements came in the first decade of the 21st Century, most as the Canadiens celebrated their 100th anniversary. Cynics and even the not so cynical have suggested that the Canadiens more frequently resort to these celebrations of the glorious past when the current team is weak, as it has been in recent years, in an effort to maintain interest in the club. Even so, the 10 more recent retired jersey numbers belonged to players who were exceptional, even among Hall of Famers, and it is difficult to take issue with any of these jersey retirements.

But I do believe that the Canadiens have ignored players from their first 40 years who were equally or even more deserving of the honor in favor of more recent players. It is this fairness consideration that prompted me to suggest in a comment above that Toe Blake should be so honored, and there are a few others from the distant past also equally or more deserving than recent players so honored. If a club is going to honor outstanding players by retiring their jersey numbers, then it ought to do it equitably. Honoring these players from the distant past would not necessarily mean the retirement of more jersey numbers since some of them--e.g., Georges Vezina, Didier Pitre, Newsy Lalonde and Aurele Joliat--wore numbers already retired in honor of other players.

The club ought not to dilly-dally over jersey retirements for years and certainly not for decades, as the Bernie Geoffrion tragi-farce demonstrated. Geoffrion, certainly deserving of honor, died of cancer in the morning on the same day the Canadiens celebrated retirement of his jersey number in the evening.

And so the Canadiens have now honored 17 players by retiring 15 jersey numbers. Two numbers have each been retired in honor of two players, No. 12 for Dickie Moore and Yvan Cournoyer and No. 16 for Henri Richard and Elmer Lach.

There are 45 Canadiens players who have been elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame. A few of those players only wore the Canadiens uniform briefly and are more identified with other clubs, but even discounting them, the Canadiens Hall of Famers still outnumber by far the 17 who have had their jersey numbers retired.

Last edited by Peter9: 11-08-2013 at 03:12 AM.
Peter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 03:30 AM
Darth Yoda

Just hang up the jerseys and not retire the numbers. Only then will no-one be able to complain.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 07:24 AM
Fire Dumboer
FINALLY

Sergei Brylin in New Jersey. One of the 5 Devils to win the 3 cups and was with the Devils his whole career.

Fire Dumboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 11:50 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post

i would barf. absolutely not. one of my favourite articles about mario--

http://web.archive.org/web/199902091.../hfb2lemi.html
I'm not even disagreeing with some of the points in there, but it was very long-winded and was written like the author had a personal axe to grind with Mario.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Duane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Dumboer View Post
Sergei Brylin in New Jersey. One of the 5 Devils to win the 3 cups and was with the Devils his whole career.
Try John MacLean. Still holds so many team records and was the face of the franchise from the beginning, until Scott Stevens arrived. Yet Scott Niedermayer, who was never at any time the face of the franchise, gets his number retired. Go figure.

Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 03:06 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

I never could figure out the New York Rangers. They won the 1928, 1933 and 1940 Stanley Cup championships (and went to the Finals in 1929, 1932 and 1937), that's six times in ten years they were in the Stanley Cup Finals,.. and yet.... Howell and Bathgate from the fifties and sixties of the so-called O6 era is the earliest they feel worthy of retiring jerseys from? All the talk about the drought since 1940, finally purged in 1994 and yet no honoring of the highly-successful franchise up to and including 1940?

Retire the first captain of the NYR, the first goal scorer and a Stanley Cup championship game-winning goal scorer for the franchise, im Bill Cook's #5

Quote:
... Frank Boucher retained many years later: "Bill was the finest all-round player in Ranger history. And he's my choice as the best right winger hockey ever knew – despite the fact that others disagree and give their votes to Rocket Richard or Gordie Howe. I say Cook topped them both." Cook was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1952...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Cook

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 06:07 AM
The Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Just hang up the jerseys and not retire the numbers. Only then will no-one be able to complain.
I think this will eventually happen to Montreal and other older franchises. I personally don't like watching a team where the lowest number is 25 or whatever.

Of all the questionable retired numbers, I really feel Adam Graves' is the most dubious. I really like Graves -- watched him a play a bit with Detroit and regularly for a couple years in Edmonton -- and I concur that he made a good contribution to the Rangers' 90s-team. But no way in hell is he deserving of having a number retired (the more so when past Rangers' greats haven't had this honor). Yes, he was a physical player with several positive intangibles, but four 30-goal seasons in seven years does not a jersey retirement merit.

I think his jersey retirement is indicative of a Rangers' franchise mentality to live off of the 1994 team forever.

The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 07:02 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
I think this will eventually happen to Montreal and other older franchises. I personally don't like watching a team where the lowest number is 25 or whatever.

Of all the questionable retired numbers, I really feel Adam Graves' is the most dubious. I really like Graves -- watched him a play a bit with Detroit and regularly for a couple years in Edmonton -- and I concur that he made a good contribution to the Rangers' 90s-team. But no way in hell is he deserving of having a number retired (the more so when past Rangers' greats haven't had this honor). Yes, he was a physical player with several positive intangibles, but four 30-goal seasons in seven years does not a jersey retirement merit.

I think his jersey retirement is indicative of a Rangers' franchise mentality to live off of the 1994 team forever.
Graves jersey retirement was highly influenced by his charitable work in New York. The fact that his number was going to get retired in honour of another player also helped strengthen his case, of course.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 08:38 AM
The Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Graves jersey retirement was highly influenced by his charitable work in New York.
You're probably right, but is that justified? I guess it's up to the individual franchise to retire numbers on whatever basis they want, but I personally think it should be for what you did on the ice only. I'm sure there were a dozen people in the stands who did more charity work than Graves on any given night; however, there was nobody in the stands who could have done what Brian Leetch did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
The fact that his number was going to get retired in honour of another player also helped strengthen his case, of course.
???

The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 09:21 AM
Crease

The Rangers are awful at honoring their history. If it earns them a buck, they'll do it. Otherwise, nada. The fact that Graves was even allowed to wear #9, let alone have his retired before Bathgate's, was a joke. Glaring omissions are Bill Cook, Frank Boucher, and Ching Johnson. And I think Ratelle and Park are still too sour about being traded to even want their names in the rafters at MSG.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 11:49 AM
Sentinel

In the order of travesty:

Makarov in CSKA
Kelly in DRW
Hasek in Buffalo
Fedorov in DRW

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote