HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

GDT: 1/16 - New York Rangers @ New Jersey Devils - 7:30PM

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

vCash: 500
Not much to say at this point, everything has been said already so i'll just leave you all with this, LETS GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
01-16-2007, 12:43 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
This is a big game tonight. Hopefully we can start up a winning streak coming off the last game. It's been a weird season in which we can't beat the Isles but we have done pretty well against the Devils - it's usually the opposite. So here is hoping Henke plays another great game tonight and we get a couple of goals from the top line and maybe Shanny breaks out too. LETS GO RANGERS!!

Old
01-16-2007, 12:47 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

This should get everyone in the mood for tonight's game.

01-16-2007, 12:59 PM
dank

Lets Go Rangers!

Old
01-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Pogo

I never have a good feeling about games like this. The ******** from across the way have been playing well lately, and that main ******* has been standing out recently. I would really love a good humiliation to mess up Marty's stats, as in 6 or 7 goals, scored by lesser players. Hell I'll take it even further, how about Orr with a hattrick?

Let's go Rangers!

Old
01-16-2007, 01:17 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Fletch, I think we might as well stop trying to figure these things out.
I know the answers. Just ask...
Look, boss picked some trash out there so no one could call him useless. Sure he wants Krog to play. So, since Krog is C, he will take Wards spot on 4th. Now, whom do I scratch? Why not to scratch Ward himself? This way I have to do the least amount of work. Jason knows that he is an important piece of this team. HE KNOWS HE PLAYS WELL. He would need no explanation.

Old
01-16-2007, 01:23 PM
HenrikO'doyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Also, wanted to talk about this a little. Yes, the Devils are a very disciplined bunch who adhere to a system, but i just think that with the reputation they've built they get the benefit of the doubt with calls too much. Call me jealous or whatever but i firmly believe this team gets away with a lot of penalties that would be called in any other game. I see it every meeting. Those stats are a stark difference from the rest of the league. But hey, i guess theyve earned it.
Yes they do however I have to admit that they have earned it. Same way the Patriots in football get all the callls and same way the Yankees(I am a Yankees fan) got the majority of the calls up until a few years ago when it became obvious the dynasty was over. The Devs have earned it and if we win a few Stanley Cups we will get those calls as well. Its not fair but its what happens.

Old
01-16-2007, 01:39 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
You seem to make a habit out of taking a kernel of truth and then running with it in all sorts of odd directions.

Has our goaltending been worse than last year? Undoubtadely, you can easily gather as much from their inferior SV%. However, a large part of Henrik's struggles comes from the much higher quality of shots surrendered this year. Some of it has to do with a declining attention to defense on the part of the forwards. The other part is a sharp decline in play by our defensive D's. Kaspar is a shadow of the player he was last year. Malik was our best defender last year. This season he's lucky to be in the line-up some nights. While Tjutin has improved his physical play, positionally he either regressed or at best stayed at last year's level. Ward is an upgrade on Strudwick, but Rachunek has been a defensive downgrade from Poti's play in the latter part of last year. At best, the two are a slight improvement. What's crucial though, is the fall-off in play by Malik and Kasper. They were a source of defensive stability, especially on the PK. Fix Malik, and you fix a lot of Rangers' own zone woes along with the faltering PK.

Prucha has to take responsibility for a lot of his struggles. However, his handling has ranged from indifferent to disastrous. To be squeezed out of the top 9 by waiver wire trash like Krog is preposterous. He hasn't been THAT bad. Playing him with stone-hands Hollweg and Orr is sheer lunacy. How well would Straka do with those two?

The only part I don't have a problem with is Hossa flanking Shanny. However, Betts in the middle makes the task an uphill struggle for both. I realize there aren't a lot of options. To me though, either the banished Immonen or the suddenly out-of-favor Ward would been a better choice in the middle. Hell, you could even try Prucha as a 2nd line center. That wouldn't put him anymore out of position than he is now.
I agree with most of it (well written, BTW), but it is doesn't defeat my point. Any goalie could have a bad night or allow one or even two here and there. The problem starts when the team confidence is effected. I do not know how anyone could be calm against Isles (Henrik) and against Sens (Kevin). It is going on all season long more or less.

Hockey is an entertainment, FYI. Regardless of the results it is little or no entertainment value to watch the struggling goaltenders night after night. I'd rather watch Colorado loosing than us. Their goalie has no defense in front of him, but Budaj is true fun, while Lundqvist varies from terrible to disgraceful.

I predicted Prucha will be loose piece back in August after Shanahan's signing. I wish I was wrong.

Okay, let's forget about it for tonight at least. Let's go Rangers!! Let's go Heneke!!

Last edited by 94now: 01-16-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old
01-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Diehardfan419

Ill be there tonight with 5 other huge rangers fans coming with me. Im sure ill see many others there, too. Very pumped, but also very nervous. Devils are playing well and its always a nailbiter at their place. Lets Go Rangers!!

Old
01-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I agree with most of it (well written, BTW), but it is doesn't defeat my point. Any goalie could have a bad night or allow one or even two here and there. The problem starts when the team confidence is effected. I do not know how anyone could be calm against Isles (Henrik) and against Sens (Kevin). It is going on all season long more or less.

Hockey is an entertainment, FYI. Regardless of the results it is little or no entertainment value to watch the struggling goaltenders night after night. I'd rather watch Colorado loosing than us. Their goalie has no defense in front of him, but Budaj is true fun, while Lundqvist varies from terrible to disgraceful.

I predicted Prucha will be loose piece back in August after Shanahan's signing. I wish I was wrong.

Okay, let's forget about it for tonight at least. Let's go Rangers!! Let's go Heneke!!
I think your bias skews your perception of reality. I'm not going to defend the goaltenders here, because they've been just as inconsistent as the rest of the team. But calling them "terrible to disgraceful" is far-fetched. There's no need to defeat your point, because you never allow it to pick itself off the canvas. It enters the conversation stillborn.
The defense has been abysmal this season. The only difference from last season is that they at least had the forwards and goalies helping them out. You want to point fingers, blame the team builder. He's the one who amassed this collection of role players who play 10% over their heads every night just to reach mediocre.
You have a burr under your saddle for our goaltenders, you go right ahead and have it. But the truth is it doesn't matter who's in net because no goaltender in this league could perform consistently well with a team of defenders who spend most of the game water skiing not because they lack confidence, but because they lack ability.

Old
01-16-2007, 02:20 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
collection of role players who play 10% over their heads every night just to reach mediocre.

But the truth is it doesn't matter who's in net because no goaltender in this league could perform consistently well with a team of defenders who spend most of the game water skiing not because they lack confidence, but because they lack ability.
Bravo, Shadow.

Old
01-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Another very upbeat GDT I must say...

That said, I can't get too worked up on the lines. I was very pleased with the lines at the start of Saturday's game, then they got changed around. So if these lines don't work, I doubt we'd see them for that long.

Alot of us wish we weren't a one line team, Renney is trying different ways to change that. The only thing is I wish we stuck with the lines from the first period Saturday, didn't understand the reasoning for the switch.. I really liked Hossa, Shanny and Nylander together...But it just might be, without an addition via trade theres just not much to be done about our lack of production from other lines.

Old
01-16-2007, 02:30 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Some of these line combinations are senseless. Betts has 3 f***ing assists in a season and a half and he's going to center Shanahan again?--something that's already been tried and didn't work. Prucha thrown in as a center all of a sudden between Hollweg and Orr? What is Orr going to do in this one? He's got no dancing partner. Is Petr going to help these two get on the scoreboard? And it's funny that Ward scores a goal and an assist in one game and gets benched the next two. Now he hasn't been great this year but he's a better player than Colton Orr by about a hundred miles. This is flat out idiotic.
You coulda said that about Peters against Boston yesterday...but it happens that Alberts nails someone and Peters beats his butt. You never know who can cause problems on a given night

Old
01-16-2007, 02:32 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Lookin forward to a good one (even tho I got exams and may have to miss this). Still....go get em boys...like the lines....as usual I think they'll work. I just wish we'd stick with some though

Old
01-16-2007, 02:45 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
But the truth is it doesn't matter who's in net because no goaltender in this league could perform consistently well with a team of defenders who spend most of the game water skiing not because they lack confidence, but because they lack ability.
Rangers opposition scores more goals than the scoring chances that opposition create. End of story. Up until that changes there is no sense to go after Ds.
Look, with today NHL the standards have changed. Nowadays only re-directions and heavy screens are the legit excuses for NHL level goaltenders. The rest MUST be stopped.

Old
01-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Hockey MD

Send a message via AIM to Hockey MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Rangers opposition scores more goals than the scoring chances that opposition create. End of story.
IaAgree with you but those chances not created by the opposition are a result of poor defensive play, not goaltending. More often this year our goaltending has been left high and dry by the defense, to expect Henke to stand on his head like he did in Dallas every night isnt fair to him.

Old
01-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruchaYeah View Post
IaAgree with you but those chances not created by the opposition are a result of poor defensive play, not goaltending. More often this year our goaltending has been left high and dry by the defense, to expect Henke to stand on his head like he did in Dallas every night isnt fair to him.
Agreed. We can't expect super-human performances from our goaltenders just so our defenders don't have to get their hands dirty. There was a defensive concept last season that has been abandoned this season and it has exposed our lack of quality on our defensive line.

Old
01-16-2007, 04:06 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

The Rangers better win this one or we will all be in proposal overdrive until they play again on Saturday... soooo long away!

What am i talking about. We already are in trade mode.

Old
01-16-2007, 04:10 PM
TomLaidlaw

This might be the most depressing GDT I have ever seen. I feel like we already lost tonights game...lol

Old
01-16-2007, 04:12 PM
crisb

Keeping it nice an short...

Lets go Rangers

Old
01-16-2007, 04:41 PM
WheresBarnaby

The Rangers just need to picture the Devils as this guy,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whBYmI25_Ks

and the game will be a cake walk !

video courtesy of KingHenrik35

Old
01-16-2007, 04:44 PM
NYRMatt

vCash: 1275
Last place in GDT records. Sweet.

Can't wait for this game. Not only is it huge but I waited to long for a Ranger game.

Yes, I am back in full activiy now.

Old
01-16-2007, 04:49 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
You coulda said that about Peters against Boston yesterday...but it happens that Alberts nails someone and Peters beats his butt. You never know who can cause problems on a given night
Hate to say it but Alberts resembles a hockey player--Peters doesn't. Neither does Orr for that matter. Putting him with Prucha at center is a joke. Why even put Petr out at all? FWIW that was the major gripe of my post that Petr who has real talent is being put on a line with two other forwards who in a combined 72 games this season have 0 goals 0 assists and 0 points between them. I don't think you really want to comment on that do you?

Old
01-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Chimp

Rangers is the most onelined team in the entire league.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/qual_team.html

Check this "Quality teammates" list. The entire top line; Straka, Nylander, Jagr, Rozsival and Malik dominates the entire list, while the rest of the Rangers players are pretty far off. Poor Shanny is number 522 on the list, talk about crappy teammates.

By the way, that Indian Michael Jackson was hilarious. It doesn't break "Dahler Mendi och det hemliga vapnet" though. The best.

Last edited by Chimp: 01-16-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Old
01-16-2007, 05:18 PM
KRM

Let's get a win!

Closed Thread