HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

GDT: 1/16 - New York Rangers @ New Jersey Devils - 7:30PM

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-16-2007, 12:41 PM
  #51
Finest
Puck Fittsburg
 
Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,587
vCash: 500
Not much to say at this point, everything has been said already so i'll just leave you all with this, LETS GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finest is offline  
Old
01-16-2007, 12:43 PM
  #52
danno2530
 
danno2530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,454
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
This is a big game tonight. Hopefully we can start up a winning streak coming off the last game. It's been a weird season in which we can't beat the Isles but we have done pretty well against the Devils - it's usually the opposite. So here is hoping Henke plays another great game tonight and we get a couple of goals from the top line and maybe Shanny breaks out too. LETS GO RANGERS!!

danno2530 is offline  
Old
01-16-2007, 12:47 PM
  #53
abev
HFBoards Sponsor
 
abev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,581
vCash: 500
This should get everyone in the mood for tonight's game.

__________________
Fantasy sports betting at FakePuppy - Pick moneylines, over/unders and spreads. Totally free.
abev is offline  
Old
01-16-2007, 12:59 PM
  #54
dank
Registered User
 
dank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,867
vCash: 500
Lets Go Rangers!

dank is offline  
Old
01-16-2007, 01:08 PM
  #55
Pogo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Israel
Country: Israel
Posts: 788
vCash: 500
I never have a good feeling about games like this. The ******** from across the way have been playing well lately, and that main ******* has been standing out recently. I would really love a good humiliation to mess up Marty's stats, as in 6 or 7 goals, scored by lesser players. Hell I'll take it even further, how about Orr with a hattrick?

Let's go Rangers!

Pogo is offline  
Old
01-16-2007, 01:17 PM
  #56
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Fletch, I think we might as well stop trying to figure these things out.
I know the answers. Just ask...
Look, boss picked some trash out there so no one could call him useless. Sure he wants Krog to play. So, since Krog is C, he will take Wards spot on 4th. Now, whom do I scratch? Why not to scratch Ward himself? This way I have to do the least amount of work. Jason knows that he is an important piece of this team. HE KNOWS HE PLAYS WELL. He would need no explanation.

94now is offline  
Old
01-16-2007, 01:23 PM
  #57
HenrikO'doyle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Also, wanted to talk about this a little. Yes, the Devils are a very disciplined bunch who adhere to a system, but i just think that with the reputation they've built they get the benefit of the doubt with calls too much. Call me jealous or whatever but i firmly believe this team gets away with a lot of penalties that would be called in any other game. I see it every meeting. Those stats are a stark difference from the rest of the league. But hey, i guess theyve earned it.
Yes they do however I have to admit that they have earned it. Same way the Patriots in football get all the callls and same way the Yankees(I am a Yankees fan) got the majority of the calls up until a few years ago when it became obvious the dynasty was over. The Devs have earned it and if we win a few Stanley Cups we will get those calls as well. Its not fair but its what happens.

HenrikO'doyle is offline  
Old
01-16-2007, 01:39 PM
  #58
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
You seem to make a habit out of taking a kernel of truth and then running with it in all sorts of odd directions.

Has our goaltending been worse than last year? Undoubtadely, you can easily gather as much from their inferior SV%. However, a large part of Henrik's struggles comes from the much higher quality of shots surrendered this year. Some of it has to do with a declining attention to defense on the part of the forwards. The other part is a sharp decline in play by our defensive D's. Kaspar is a shadow of the player he was last year. Malik was our best defender last year. This season he's lucky to be in the line-up some nights. While Tjutin has improved his physical play, positionally he either regressed or at best stayed at last year's level. Ward is an upgrade on Strudwick, but Rachunek has been a defensive downgrade from Poti's play in the latter part of last year. At best, the two are a slight improvement. What's crucial though, is the fall-off in play by Malik and Kasper. They were a source of defensive stability, especially on the PK. Fix Malik, and you fix a lot of Rangers' own zone woes along with the faltering PK.

Prucha has to take responsibility for a lot of his struggles. However, his handling has ranged from indifferent to disastrous. To be squeezed out of the top 9 by waiver wire trash like Krog is preposterous. He hasn't been THAT bad. Playing him with stone-hands Hollweg and Orr is sheer lunacy. How well would Straka do with those two?

The only part I don't have a problem with is Hossa flanking Shanny. However, Betts in the middle makes the task an uphill struggle for both. I realize there aren't a lot of options. To me though, either the banished Immonen or the suddenly out-of-favor Ward would been a better choice in the middle. Hell, you could even try Prucha as a 2nd line center. That wouldn't put him anymore out of position than he is now.
I agree with most of it (well written, BTW), but it is doesn't defeat my point. Any goalie could have a bad night or allow one or even two here and there. The problem starts when the team confidence is effected. I do not know how anyone could be calm against Isles (Henrik) and against Sens (Kevin). It is going on all season long more or less.

Hockey is an entertainment, FYI. Regardless of the results it is little or no entertainment value to watch the struggling goaltenders night after night. I'd rather watch Colorado loosing than us. Their goalie has no defense in front of him, but Budaj is true fun, while Lundqvist varies from terrible to disgraceful.

I predicted Prucha will be loose piece back in August after Shanahan's signing. I wish I was wrong.

Okay, let's forget about it for tonight at least. Let's go Rangers!! Let's go Heneke!!


Last edited by 94now: 01-16-2007 at 01:44 PM.
94now is offline  
Old
01-16-2007, 01:42 PM
  #59
Diehardfan419
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Branchburg, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 446
vCash: 500
Ill be there tonight with 5 other huge rangers fans coming with me. Im sure ill see many others there, too. Very pumped, but also very nervous. Devils are playing well and its always a nailbiter at their place. Lets Go Rangers!!

Diehardfan419 is offline  
Old
01-16-2007, 02:18 PM
  #60
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I agree with most of it (well written, BTW), but it is doesn't defeat my point. Any goalie could have a bad night or allow one or even two here and there. The problem starts when the team confidence is effected. I do not know how anyone could be calm against Isles (Henrik) and against Sens (Kevin). It is going on all season long more or less.

Hockey is an entertainment, FYI. Regardless of the results it is little or no entertainment value to watch the struggling goaltenders night after night. I'd rather watch Colorado loosing than us. Their goalie has no defense in front of him, but Budaj is true fun, while Lundqvist varies from terrible to disgraceful.

I predicted Prucha will be loose piece back in August after Shanahan's signing. I wish I was wrong.

Okay, let's forget about it for tonight at least. Let's go Rangers!! Let's go Heneke!!
I think your bias skews your perception of reality. I'm not going to defend the goaltenders here, because they've been just as inconsistent as the rest of the team. But calling them "terrible to disgraceful" is far-fetched. There's no need to defeat your point, because you never allow it to pick itself off the canvas. It enters the conversation stillborn.
The defense has been abysmal this season. The only difference from last season is that they at least had the forwards and goalies helping them out. You want to point fingers, blame the team builder. He's the one who amassed this collection of role players who play 10% over their heads every night just to reach mediocre.
You have a burr under your saddle for our goaltenders, you go right ahead and have it. But the truth is it doesn't matter who's in net because no goaltender in this league could perform consistently well with a team of defenders who spend most of the game water skiing not because they lack confidence, but because they lack ability.

Shadowtron is offline  
Old
01-16-2007, 02:20 PM
  #61
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
collection of role players who play 10% over their heads every night just to reach mediocre.

But the truth is it doesn't matter who's in net because no goaltender in this league could perform consistently well with a team of defenders who spend most of the game water skiing not because they lack confidence, but because they lack ability.
Bravo, Shadow.

True Blue is offline  
Old
01-16-2007, 02:24 PM
  #62
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 18,914
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Another very upbeat GDT I must say...

That said, I can't get too worked up on the lines. I was very pleased with the lines at the start of Saturday's game, then they got changed around. So if these lines don't work, I doubt we'd see them for that long.

Alot of us wish we weren't a one line team, Renney is trying different ways to change that. The only thing is I wish we stuck with the lines from the first period Saturday, didn't understand the reasoning for the switch.. I really liked Hossa, Shanny and Nylander together...But it just might be, without an addition via trade theres just not much to be done about our lack of production from other lines.

Fire Sather is online now  
Old
01-16-2007, 02:30 PM
  #63
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Some of these line combinations are senseless. Betts has 3 f***ing assists in a season and a half and he's going to center Shanahan again?--something that's already been tried and didn't work. Prucha thrown in as a center all of a sudden between Hollweg and Orr? What is Orr going to do in this one? He's got no dancing partner. Is Petr going to help these two get on the scoreboard? And it's funny that Ward scores a goal and an assist in one game and gets benched the next two. Now he hasn't been great this year but he's a better player than Colton Orr by about a hundred miles. This is flat out idiotic.
You coulda said that about Peters against Boston yesterday...but it happens that Alberts nails someone and Peters beats his butt. You never know who can cause problems on a given night

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline  
Old
01-16-2007, 02:32 PM
  #64
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Lookin forward to a good one (even tho I got exams and may have to miss this). Still....go get em boys...like the lines....as usual I think they'll work. I just wish we'd stick with some though

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline  
Old
01-16-2007, 02:45 PM
  #65
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
But the truth is it doesn't matter who's in net because no goaltender in this league could perform consistently well with a team of defenders who spend most of the game water skiing not because they lack confidence, but because they lack ability.
Rangers opposition scores more goals than the scoring chances that opposition create. End of story. Up until that changes there is no sense to go after Ds.
Look, with today NHL the standards have changed. Nowadays only re-directions and heavy screens are the legit excuses for NHL level goaltenders. The rest MUST be stopped.

94now is offline  
Old
01-16-2007, 03:07 PM
  #66
Hockey MD
Registered User
 
Hockey MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 738
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hockey MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Rangers opposition scores more goals than the scoring chances that opposition create. End of story.
IaAgree with you but those chances not created by the opposition are a result of poor defensive play, not goaltending. More often this year our goaltending has been left high and dry by the defense, to expect Henke to stand on his head like he did in Dallas every night isnt fair to him.

Hockey MD is offline  
Old
01-16-2007, 03:15 PM
  #67
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruchaYeah View Post
IaAgree with you but those chances not created by the opposition are a result of poor defensive play, not goaltending. More often this year our goaltending has been left high and dry by the defense, to expect Henke to stand on his head like he did in Dallas every night isnt fair to him.
Agreed. We can't expect super-human performances from our goaltenders just so our defenders don't have to get their hands dirty. There was a defensive concept last season that has been abandoned this season and it has exposed our lack of quality on our defensive line.

Shadowtron is offline  
Old
01-16-2007, 04:06 PM
  #68
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,862
vCash: 500
The Rangers better win this one or we will all be in proposal overdrive until they play again on Saturday... soooo long away!

What am i talking about. We already are in trade mode.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline  
Old
01-16-2007, 04:10 PM
  #69
TomLaidlaw
Registered User
 
TomLaidlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Transylvania
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
This might be the most depressing GDT I have ever seen. I feel like we already lost tonights game...lol

TomLaidlaw is offline  
Old
01-16-2007, 04:12 PM
  #70
crisb
Registered User
 
crisb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 941
vCash: 500
Keeping it nice an short...

Lets go Rangers

crisb is offline  
Old
01-16-2007, 04:41 PM
  #71
WheresBarnaby
Registered User
 
WheresBarnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,607
vCash: 500
The Rangers just need to picture the Devils as this guy,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whBYmI25_Ks

and the game will be a cake walk !





video courtesy of KingHenrik35

WheresBarnaby is offline  
Old
01-16-2007, 04:44 PM
  #72
NYRMatt
Registered User
 
NYRMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 2,316
vCash: 1275
Last place in GDT records. Sweet.

Can't wait for this game. Not only is it huge but I waited to long for a Ranger game.

Yes, I am back in full activiy now.

NYRMatt is offline  
Old
01-16-2007, 04:49 PM
  #73
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
You coulda said that about Peters against Boston yesterday...but it happens that Alberts nails someone and Peters beats his butt. You never know who can cause problems on a given night
Hate to say it but Alberts resembles a hockey player--Peters doesn't. Neither does Orr for that matter. Putting him with Prucha at center is a joke. Why even put Petr out at all? FWIW that was the major gripe of my post that Petr who has real talent is being put on a line with two other forwards who in a combined 72 games this season have 0 goals 0 assists and 0 points between them. I don't think you really want to comment on that do you?

eco's bones is offline  
Old
01-16-2007, 04:53 PM
  #74
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,476
vCash: 500
Rangers is the most onelined team in the entire league.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/qual_team.html

Check this "Quality teammates" list. The entire top line; Straka, Nylander, Jagr, Rozsival and Malik dominates the entire list, while the rest of the Rangers players are pretty far off. Poor Shanny is number 522 on the list, talk about crappy teammates.

By the way, that Indian Michael Jackson was hilarious. It doesn't break "Dahler Mendi och det hemliga vapnet" though. The best.


Last edited by Chimp: 01-16-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Chimp is offline  
Old
01-16-2007, 05:18 PM
  #75
KRM
Registered User
 
KRM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,976
vCash: 500
Let's get a win!

KRM is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.