HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Preds Talk Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2013, 10:15 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Karma View Post
Oh man, you should share these.
Quote:
To: Sarah Ryan
Subject: Message boards

Ms. Ryan,
How long can we expect the message boards outage to last?

Thank you,
Quote:
Hey Brian! Not sure yet, hopefully be back up soon
Quote:
We’re at a week and three games without an official message board. Is there a projection on when the boards will return or did the team decide to kill them off without so much as a message to the members?

Brian

Awaiting a reply. It's not like I don't have Gerry Helper's address in my past messages. I'm sure I could find Mr. Henry's and the entire ownership groups' emails if needed.

Old
12-28-2013, 11:33 AM
hockey diva

Seriously thinking about a sign calling out the guys. "If you don't care, why should we?"

Old
12-28-2013, 12:13 PM
preds1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
Seriously thinking about a sign calling out the guys. "If you don't care, why should we?"
I'd address it to the $14 million dollar d-man.

Old
12-28-2013, 12:48 PM
PFL615

It's funny 06 gets the blame and he is 2nd on the team in scoring and shuts doen the other teams top players more times than not. Weber is obviously not a rah rah leader and you don't have to be that way to be a leader. Also just because you look like a rabid chipmunk with little skill on the ice like Horny does also does not mean you deserve a C. Horny works his ass off no disrespect but it is what it is.

If you want to blame someone blame guys like Trotz, Fisher, and Legwand.

What do you want Weber fighting everyone and ripping peoples helmets off in a parade to the box everynight.
Yeah that will be great.

Old
12-28-2013, 01:55 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
It's funny 06 gets the blame and he is 2nd on the team in scoring and shuts doen the other teams top players more times than not. Weber is obviously not a rah rah leader and you don't have to be that way to be a leader. Also just because you look like a rabid chipmunk with little skill on the ice like Horny does also does not mean you deserve a C. Horny works his ass off no disrespect but it is what it is.

What do you want Weber fighting everyone and ripping peoples helmets off in a parade to the box everynight.
Yeah that will be great.
I agree with you fully. It's kind of sad how people always like to blame Weber

Old
12-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Pago

Quote:

Yeah that will be great.
Mostly Trotz; as coach, it's his job to make sure the players are or are not doing certain things on the ice. It's his job to assign a new captain if Weber doesn't appear to be up to the task.

I respect Trotz for all he's done for the team over the years and I thank him for it. He's turned the little team that no one thought would last more than a few seasons into scrappy underdogs who can't be underestimated.

...well, until the past couple of seasons, anyway.

I think we've gone as far as we can under Trotz's leadership. We need a change on the bench if we ever want to advance deeper into the playoffs. I'm thankful for all the man has done over the years, but it may be time to let him go if he's not willing to start doing things a bit differently.

Not saying it needs to be done now, or even next season, but it needs to be given serious consideration and he needs to know his job is at risk. Might encourage him to push the team harder and try new things.

On a less-serious note, if we're going to continue getting our butts kicked like this, yes, I would love to see Weber start a brawl every night. It would give us something to really cheer for, at least.

Old
12-28-2013, 03:21 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:

Yeah that will be great.
weber is racking up powerplay points.. not doing **** at ES and is somewhere around -11 last time i checked.. and here is a telling stat.

every 60 minutes weber is on the ice we average around 2.71 goals against... WITHOUT weber we average 2.49~ goals against ... i get that he plays tough minutes, opponents, ect but the guy is not playing up to the billing and by all accounts we see, he has been an average leader AT best. not worth the contract. id ship him out quicker than he could think. forget what the fans think, do whats best for the organization. trading weber is it imo.

Old
12-28-2013, 03:39 PM
hockey diva

Weber doesn't want to be here, hence he only is expending the minimum amount of effort. His effort at the Olys will be telling, if he makes the team. And for those folks who claim otherwise, his lack luster performance has been noticed by a lot of people who not Preds fans.

Old
12-28-2013, 04:03 PM
glenngineer

It's funny, the whole team sucks yet it's Weber's fault? How many times is Weber or Weber and Josi the only guys back on odd man rushes? I've seen many times that we don't have a third and/or fourth guy getting back defensively leaving the defensive pairing out to dry. Yeah, Weber hasn't been dominant but he is the least of our worries. Josi and Klein are the least of our worries. Getting our forwards to put the puck in the net is one of our if not the biggest worry for this team. Everyone is quick to clamor that it's the D's fault that we're sucking. Well guess what, it takes 5 guys on the ice to play D, not just 2. The forwards are not just bad offensively but defensively as well. The guys are not playing the system or don't care to anymore. Either way there is no emotion out there.

Something happened in Phoenix two years ago because since then we have not looked like the same team.

I also think Peterson was a big reason for this teams success in years past. He was a big reason for the defensive side of things and was a great mentor for a lot of the younger guys, especially on the defenseman side of things. He was well respected by the guys in the locker room and that can't go unnoticed over time.

My reason for wanting to trade Weber is not because he sucks or isn't playing to his potential but he's the one chip that we have that will land us what we need up front talent wise. If we can land a top 3 forward, preferably a center, then I say move him. If not, move a lot of the older talent and go with the youth. It can't be any worse than what we're seeing right now.

Old
12-28-2013, 05:58 PM
preds1

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
It's funny, the whole team sucks yet it's Weber's fault? How many times is Weber or Weber and Josi the only guys back on odd man rushes? I've seen many times that we don't have a third and/or fourth guy getting back defensively leaving the defensive pairing out to dry. Yeah, Weber hasn't been dominant but he is the least of our worries. Josi and Klein are the least of our worries. Getting our forwards to put the puck in the net is one of our if not the biggest worry for this team. Everyone is quick to clamor that it's the D's fault that we're sucking. Well guess what, it takes 5 guys on the ice to play D, not just 2. The forwards are not just bad offensively but defensively as well. The guys are not playing the system or don't care to anymore. Either way there is no emotion out there.

No, it's not all Weber's fault. I just don't see the dominance and bone crushing hits of years past. (that doesn't mean fighting) We all know angry Weber.......

I fully agree our forwards are the glaring issue that has yet to be addressed.

Old
12-28-2013, 06:08 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by preds1 View Post
No, it's not all Weber's fault. I just don't see the dominance and bone crushing hits of years past. (that doesn't mean fighting) We all know angry Weber.......

I fully agree our forwards are the glaring issue that has yet to be addressed.
And to me that's not Weber, that's the coaches telling him to keep his cool so he's not in the box. I think it's a load of crap to have him play like that. When he's angry or even the slightest bit ticked, that's when he plays his best hockey. I could be wrong but if it means he takes a few more penalties a year to play with that edge, I'm all for it. I don't know why he doesn't play that way but no one on this team plays that way. I think it's the system. Watch guys skate right at a guy and soon as the puck is gone, they turn and chase the puck as opposed to finishing their checks. Sad to watch as if they'd hit a few guys, turnovers would happen which would make the forecheck more effective. It would also make guys leery of going down Weber's side if they know he may throw a thunderous check. He needs to be mean and angry every shift. Someone has to and it needs to be your leader.

Old
12-28-2013, 07:02 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Weber doesn't need to fight but he does need to show he's involved in every game. Of the leadership group, only Hornqvist shows any fire every game ... every shift. Really the only other player showing any fire at all is Hendricks with the occasional flare-up at his teammates. The only thing keeping this team near .500 is a pretty good PP over the past few weeks. The leadership group is absent. The ES play abysmal. Klein has as many ES goals in December as Weber, Legwand, Fisher, and Hornqvist combined which is just sad. It's easy to blame the coaches but the players need to step up and play like professionals.

https://www.facebook.com/nashvillepr...t=feed_comment

Old
12-28-2013, 09:07 PM
originalpredfan

This team is frustrating and hard to watch. The coaching staff is clueless. When a marginal 4th liner, Nick Spaling, is on your power play with little offensive prowess you have to look at the coaching staff. I have played and watched Hockey for over 65 years and I have no idea what Trotz views as a system in this day and age. I would like to try and make the most out of what talent (loosely used term) we have and propose the following lineup:

Wilson centering Stalberg and Smith
Fisher centering Cullen and Hornquist
Legwand centering Nystrom and Bourque
Gaustad centering Clune and Spaling/Hendricks

That would give us one purely offensive line. I believe the best offense is a good defense. Before you start ripping on Stalberg, give him a chance to work on an offensive line. While I'm at it, please don't tell me you need a banger on each line because I would respond "how's that been working for you"

Old
12-28-2013, 09:13 PM
Dan17
Rookie User

It's just common sense, if a team is struggling they have to make changes until things start to get back on track. The preds are starting to go downhill and unless they make some management changes, things aren't going to get better. Trotz is an excellent coach, don't get me wrong, but clearly his coaching style isn't benefiting the team anymore. They need a new coach with a new style, shake up the lines a bit, get Rinne and Weber back to 100% and they should get better.

Old
12-28-2013, 09:16 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

With the glaring issues the team has, complaining about who is or isn't on the #7 ranked PP in the league coming into tonight's play is puzzling.

Looking at your lines ... Wilson at center puts additional responsibilities on him that he hasn't shown the ability to handle. To balance your line of NHL wingers, you put most of the NHL caliber centers on one line. Interesting.

Old
12-28-2013, 11:04 PM
Kamikazepants

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
Weber doesn't want to be here, hence he only is expending the minimum amount of effort. His effort at the Olys will be telling, if he makes the team. And for those folks who claim otherwise, his lack luster performance has been noticed by a lot of people who not Preds fans.
We must be watching different teams. Easily the best player on the team defensively, night in, night out. Also, surely everyone remembers how helpless the power play was without him.

Saying he's giving "the minimum amount of effort" is weak, what is this based on? Fisher was the best Predator tonight, but nothing about this game changed my mind about Weber being, quite easily, the best and most consistent player on the team.

Old
12-28-2013, 11:17 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikazepants View Post
We must be watching different teams. Easily the best player on the team defensively, night in, night out. Also, surely everyone remembers how helpless the power play was without him.

Saying he's giving "the minimum amount of effort" is weak, what is this based on? Fisher was the best Predator tonight, but nothing about this game changed my mind about Weber being, quite easily, the best and most consistent player on the team.
I've noticed little from Weber this season. Little demonstrated effort ... little fire and emotion ... nothing resembling leadership on a consistent basis. Tonight Weber had a solid game, but his play was notably different than most recent games. He has the skill to propel this team forward when he applies it. Sadly, that skill seems untapped most nights this season. Weber is consistently absent at even strength this year with as many ES primary points (goals or primary assists) as Hendricks and only one more than Clune. The only positive is that he is showing up on the PP. A good PP with abysmal ES offense and defense does not bode well for the season.

Old
12-28-2013, 11:59 PM
Kamikazepants

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
I've noticed little from Weber this season. Little demonstrated effort ... little fire and emotion ... nothing resembling leadership on a consistent basis. Tonight Weber had a solid game, but his play was notably different than most recent games. He has the skill to propel this team forward when he applies it. Sadly, that skill seems untapped most nights this season. Weber is consistently absent at even strength this year with as many ES primary points (goals or primary assists) as Hendricks and only one more than Clune. The only positive is that he is showing up on the PP. A good PP with abysmal ES offense and defense does not bode well for the season.
I would hardly call his even strength defense "abysmal." I've been paying extra attention to him recently due to the criticism i've seen on here, and I'm constantly seeing excellent defensive plays, obvious, or subtle. Using the stick well, great positioning, occasional timely hits. Things that you expect out of one of the most defensively sound players in hockey, he does the little things right.

Don't agree with the Leadership, fire and emotion argument. I'm not sure you can truly measure leadership, too much we don't see or hear to judge that. Besides, I really don't think one needs fire and emotion to be a good athlete. Like what I said above, I feel like i've seen quite a bit from him every night that should be able to motivate his teammates perfectly well. Rampaging bear Shea Weber might be fun to watch, but it also makes him more prone to go to the box. You're not very intimidating or motivating when you're off the ice.

Old
12-29-2013, 01:00 AM
token grinder

you don't play 30 minutes a night and not care.

Old
12-29-2013, 07:53 AM
MrMariusz

I know exactly why some people seem to want to slowly start spinning the story that Weber isn't giving enough, or in fact, maybe doesnt even want to be here. They simply can't wait to give him up for a couple new assets, as part of the whole firesale thing being propelled by a few trigger happy fans.

We didn't spend a fortune on a franchise player only to have him unjustly singled out by fans for what has been a team-performance Jekyll and Hyde season so far.

Old
12-29-2013, 08:09 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
you don't play 30 minutes a night and not care.
This

Old
12-29-2013, 08:12 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMariusz View Post
I know exactly why some people seem to want to slowly start spinning the story that Weber isn't giving enough, or in fact, maybe doesnt even want to be here. They simply can't wait to give him up for a couple new assets, as part of the whole firesale thing being propelled by a few trigger happy fans.

We didn't spend a fortune on a franchise player only to have him unjustly singled out by fans for what has been a team-performance Jekyll and Hyde season so far.
I'm being a little more logical about it. If we trade Weber it would not be for lack of effort it would be because we are going to go into a full rebuild. If that's a three year process it would be somewhat silly to pay Weber 40 million during those years and end up with him being 32 when we are finally competitive again. Now, if we aren't going full rebuild, and we plan on being competitive in a year or two then we don't trade him

Old
12-29-2013, 11:07 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikazepants View Post
I would hardly call his even strength defense "abysmal." I've been paying extra attention to him recently due to the criticism i've seen on here, and I'm constantly seeing excellent defensive plays, obvious, or subtle. Using the stick well, great positioning, occasional timely hits. Things that you expect out of one of the most defensively sound players in hockey, he does the little things right.

Don't agree with the Leadership, fire and emotion argument. I'm not sure you can truly measure leadership, too much we don't see or hear to judge that. Besides, I really don't think one needs fire and emotion to be a good athlete. Like what I said above, I feel like i've seen quite a bit from him every night that should be able to motivate his teammates perfectly well. Rampaging bear Shea Weber might be fun to watch, but it also makes him more prone to go to the box. You're not very intimidating or motivating when you're off the ice.
Nobody says he needs to be "rampaging bear" Shea ... but watch his play last night against the Kings and compare it to the Stars game. The physicality level was dramatically different. The facial expressions differed. The impact on the game differed. He negated Kopitar most of the night, especially the 1st. There was a similar change in Fisher's play last night. It's amazing how when the leadership group bothers to show up, the team is competitive. When they don't, we get the last two weeks or so of play where the question isn't if we'll lose but how fast the goalies get chased and how bad the total spread will be.

Hornqvist leads by example every shift. Weber doesn't. Fisher doesn't. I'll base that on 20+ years of serving in leadership positions and developing other leaders.

Old
12-29-2013, 11:11 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I'm being a little more logical about it. If we trade Weber it would not be for lack of effort it would be because we are going to go into a full rebuild. If that's a three year process it would be somewhat silly to pay Weber 40 million during those years and end up with him being 32 when we are finally competitive again. Now, if we aren't going full rebuild, and we plan on being competitive in a year or two then we don't trade him
you have to remember we are in a cap world. Say we went into a full rebuild, and we let Weber, Legwand, Cullen go. That is what, 15 million or so and will be replaced by 3 kids making a million maybe? We have to hit the floor

If we went the rebuild route (which I am not advocating, just merely discussing) I would keep Weber. pending an damn infection the preds are pretty set on the back end for years and years, as long as we keep Bartley as no more than a 7th dman.

Some ideas though...
I would get what I could for Cullen and Legwand, which should be a first and a second at the deadline. at least. Remember Gaustad went for a first and both these guys are better players.

I would move Gaustad for whatever I could get for him. A third? maybe a prospect that is almost a bust? Scott Glennie maybe?

I keep Fisher, Hendricks, Nystrom, and Hornquist as your vets up front.

I also entertain what Pittsburgh would give me for Wilson now that Dupuis is done for the year. At least a first. Or maybe Despres and a 2nd or third, which leads me to...

I think if he had it his way, Klein will sign club friendly deal after club friendly deal until he retires, but I would see what Boston would give up for him with their injuries.

Would you take Legwand, Cullen, Gaustad, Wilson and Klein for Despres and 3 firsts? would have to break in another young dman in Despres, but he should be a bit above Eckholm in career progression right now, but 3 firsts plus if we did this you would assume ours would be a top 5-7 pick, a total of 4 first rounders would restock the pool pretty quick.

Old
12-29-2013, 12:45 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Nobody says he needs to be "rampaging bear" Shea ... but watch his play last night against the Kings and compare it to the Stars game. The physicality level was dramatically different. The facial expressions differed. The impact on the game differed. He negated Kopitar most of the night, especially the 1st. There was a similar change in Fisher's play last night. It's amazing how when the leadership group bothers to show up, the team is competitive. When they don't, we get the last two weeks or so of play where the question isn't if we'll lose but how fast the goalies get chased and how bad the total spread will be.

Hornqvist leads by example every shift. Weber doesn't. Fisher doesn't. I'll base that on 20+ years of serving in leadership positions and developing other leaders.
This. ^^^^^

I've watched the Preds play since the beginning. There is a noticeable difference in the level of passion, involvement and effort from Weber. You can see it in his play, the detail and physicality of his play, etc....

And the same was true of Fisher night before last. But Last night he carried the team on his back. The night before, no.

I don't remember the last time that Weber carried the team.

As far as him showing involvement by the number of minutes he plays, bah......the coach makes that decision.

Weber isn't "all in", and frankly for the amount of $$ he's paid and being the C..........he's not showing me he's a professional, either.

Closed Thread