HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2007 Entry Draft: Any Thoughts?

Old
01-16-2007, 01:30 PM
chosen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
Who's to say Prucha cannot be our Gomez.
If no one else will say it I will. Gomez is a great all around player who has multi-dimensional offensive abilities. Prucha, in an ideal scenario, will be come a pure goal scorer, certainly no given. You are comparing a possible good goal scorer with a borderline great NHL center. Their game bears absolutely no resemblance to each other.

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Pizza

In the end what this discussion boils down to is who is the better GM, Lou or Glen.

There is no discussion.

Lou is a legend who's record speaks for itself. Sather, while far from being the worst GM in history is more of a legend in his own mind.

I still maintain that Sather has done a decent job the last few years and deserves a chance to see if the picks he is responsible for bear fruit.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 01:44 PM
McRanger

The 2005 and 2006 drafts are still way too recent to judge, though by next year we should have a good idea of what we got in '04.

As for before that, I think we all agree that Sather has had less than stellar results in his first four drafts, 2000-2003. That being said, as always, I think a little perspective is needed. Two of the four drafts were without 1st round picks, one which was traded by Smith, one by Sather. One of the 1st rounders we lost a very promising goalie to a freak accident. That essentially leaves 3 of the 4 drafts, without 1st rounders, which I think we can all agree is where most of the top players come from. Thats not an excuse so much as a reality, and when he did have a 1st rounder, we ended up with the one player in the 1st round who looks like a bust.

Anyway, with all the talk about the Devils I just compared the Rangers drafts from '00-'03 to the Devils drafts from '00-'03.

Rangers draftees in NHL '00-'03
Lundqvist
Tyutin
Zidlicky
Prucha
D. Moore
Hollweg

Devils draftees in NHL '00-'04
Martin
Hale
Rupp
Parise
Zajac

(Some other players got some time here and there but arent really regulars, and guys like Blackburn and Danton are obviously done with hockey.)

Even with Zajac, whos an '04 draftee, its not lopsided in the Devils favor.

I think the much bigger problem we've faced since Sather came in is the Rangers organization giving their players the chance to succeed. Just as it was with guys like Cherneski or Malhotra, who earned playing time, guys like Dawes and Baranka are being sidelined for vets who are not just older but worse players. Thats the coaches fault for icing the wrong guys, and the GMs fault for signing vets that take up space. I'm not sure who much of a problem drafting is, aside from the Jessiman debacle, but I'm pretty sure when the '04 class starts coming in, we will have a better idea.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
In the end what this discussion boils down to is who is the better GM, Lou or Glen.

There is no discussion.

Lou is a legend who's record speaks for itself. Sather, while far from being the worst GM in history is more of a legend in his own mind.

I still maintain that Sather has done a decent job the last few years and deserves a chance to see if the picks he is responsible for bear fruit.

To simplify it...Lou built his fortune from the ground up, using blood, sweat and tears. Glen won the lottery and has been living off the the winnings ever since.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 02:23 PM
VisionQuest*

This draft sucks.
the 1990 and 1991 kids are gonna be way better.
This will be a depth draft. Diamonds in the rough.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 03:40 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
To simplify it...Lou built his fortune from the ground up, using blood, sweat and tears. Glen won the lottery and has been living off the the winnings ever since.
Brevity is the soul of wisdom Shadow.

Yes, the word legacy is a word that must often creep into Glen's mind. So much the better for motivation.

I think Lou does have some advantages:

He has built and maintained a better, more user friendly environment for his team and himself. He maintains a low profile and it's easy for him to stay there. Sather is under a microscope, though he has lessened his public exposure in recent years. The Devils' system gives players a better chance to succeed IMO. The trap backed by a HOF goal keeper allows players to focus on defense first and exploit mistakes made by opponents. Lou has perfected the science of drafting the right players for his system and developing them for quick advancement to the parent club.

Lou's the better GM, but the Devs are boring. They win but nobody cares.

Old
01-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Brevity is the soul of wisdom Shadow.

Yes, the word legacy is a word that must often creep into Glen's mind. So much the better for motivation.

I think Lou does have some advantages:

He has built and maintained a better, more user friendly environment for his team and himself. He maintains a low profile and it's easy for him to stay there. Sather is under a microscope, though he has lessened his public exposure in recent years. The Devils' system gives players a better chance to succeed IMO. The trap backed by a HOF goal keeper allows players to focus on defense first and exploit mistakes made by opponents. Lou has perfected the science of drafting the right players for his system and developing them for quick advancement to the parent club.

Lou's the better GM, but the Devs are boring. They win but nobody cares.
Results count. I'd rather be lulled to sleep every game but walk away with a Division and/or Cup banner.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 03:53 PM
True Blue

Quote:
the Devs are boring. They win but nobody cares.
Success is never boring. I would much rather get a boring win than take an exciting loss or be a successfull, but boring team, as opposed to being a perenial exciting looser.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Pizza

Ever the idealist, I yearn for a team that wins in an exciting way with exciting, dominating players. I want the New York Yankees of hockey. The day the Rangers become a dull but successful team will be the day that spells doom for the NHL.

Old
01-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Is the answer Hugh Jessiman????
Oh no you don't, not chewing that bait

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
If no one else will say it I will. Gomez is a great all around player who has multi-dimensional offensive abilities. Prucha, in an ideal scenario, will be come a pure goal scorer, certainly no given. You are comparing a possible good goal scorer with a borderline great NHL center. Their game bears absolutely no resemblance to each other.
I was not comparing their games. I was comparing their meaning to their team and Gomez's rise to stardom as a possibility for Prucha. A pure goal scorer is quite a pickup for any team.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 10:52 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Oh no you don't, not chewing that bait
Thank you Edge .....

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
I was not comparing their games. I was comparing their meaning to their team and Gomez's rise to stardom as a possibility for Prucha. A pure goal scorer is quite a pickup for any team.
Still have no idea what Dallas was thinking - Scott Gomez on the board with the last 1st round pick of that draft and they trade it to the Devils !? GOMEZ in TEXAS ! Were they that stupid? Yes, yes they were.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote