HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part III

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2013, 04:01 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Total buzz kill. I read the reviews and was looking forward to seeing it. Overhyped?
Well, I didn't really follow or read any reviews prior so I had no expectations going in. It was just long and excessive for the sake of excess. I guess it was intended for the movie to match the life style, but a lot of it was gratuitous to the point where you just lost interest in the plot, the characters which is never a good thing for a film. I reached a point in the film where I no longer cared about how it would resolve.

It was funny at times, annoying at others. A lot of scenes could have been cut and it would not have changed the movie much other than make it a little tighter.

A lot of people might like it just because of the social and moral message, but it doesn't necessarily mean it was carried out in an interesting manner (though the first hour of the film was pretty good, I have to admit).

Like I wrote on the Entertainment board, I get the point Scorsese was trying to make, but it felt like he was trying too hard to drive the point home, shoving it in your face. I get it Martin, I just didn't care anymore after the first 20 times you tried to tell me what the consequences of greed are.

Thin plot and simple message that was turned into a three hour movie by attaching to them all the bells and whistles a director/producer is allowed to include.

Old
12-28-2013, 12:25 AM
Mrb1p

Has anyone watched Hell on wheels ? If so ? What say?

Old
12-28-2013, 12:44 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
I did not but is that a show like Deadliest Catch? DC is the only reality TV I watch. It's fascinating, like so many studies come into play you can analyze that show a million times over.

Old
12-28-2013, 12:51 AM
thaivuN
Cynical Narcissist.

vCash: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
I'm super sorry but if we include anime then it's

1 Berserk

(5 blank pages)

2 GoT

Here I go again on my high clown horse but really if you don't know Berserk you must check it out because you missed a piece of art. Download the english manga or watch the show even though it's old.

I missed about half a decade worth of anime watching and apparently there are also 3 films now with rave reviews.
Pretty sad that the creator of Berserk is too busy playing Idolm@ster to even bother continuing the story in the manga consistently

Old
12-28-2013, 12:52 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaivuN View Post
Pretty sad that the creator of Berserk is too busy playing Idolm@ster to even bother continuing the story in the manga consistently
I don't even know what that is but wow.

Old
12-28-2013, 01:06 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
I did not but is that a show like Deadliest Catch? DC is the only reality TV I watch. It's fascinating, like so many studies come into play you can analyze that show a million times over.
Far from a reality TV.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm20981132...8?ref_=tt_ov_i

I think it looks good, I just need to get into it.

What about Low winter sun?

Old
12-28-2013, 01:19 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
It's good. I caught a marathon of the show this summer and I liked it, it's entertaining. But after a while it can be pretty tiring cause most characters on the show are not sympatetic. And it's a personal pet peeve of mine but I have trouble getting into historical movies and shows cause I more often feel that they are taking too much liberties with it and it looks fake.

Old
12-28-2013, 03:41 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
As a TV series junkie, I'll chip in with my top 5:

1. Rubicon - really, really liked it, but it got canned after only 1 season. The single most intelligent show I've seen in my life. It really hit home. Shows that make you think beyond just trying to get past convoluted dialogue? This is a dyeing breed these days.
Oh Rubicon, I remember that show. It was just a small tad too slow for my tastes, but it was arguably the most mature television show I have ever seen. I think the HBO crowd would have been better suited than AMC, even if AMC has its own fair share of great shows.

Old
12-28-2013, 03:57 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
just watched the original robocop again in preparation for the upcoming remake, and i don't care what anyone says, Paul Verhoeven is a fantastic satirical director.

in any case, although somewhat cheesy at times (1987 will do that to you) robocop is still ****ing awesome and deals with some serious issues that are very relevant today

edit: just watched the new robocop's trailer and holy dog **** does it look bad...

Last edited by MasterDecoy: 12-28-2013 at 04:08 AM.
Old
12-28-2013, 09:44 AM
vesperal

Quote:
Far from a reality TV.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm20981132...8?ref_=tt_ov_i

I think it looks good, I just need to get into it.

What about Low winter sun?
Hell on wheels is really good. It can be frustrating at time, the characters mostly follow their head instead of their heart, sometime you just want to smack them in the head and tell them to be happy for just a sec.

Old
12-28-2013, 10:07 AM
la25ecoupe

What about Mad Men?

Old
12-28-2013, 10:18 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Somehow there,s a lot of people watching the shows I'm going to mention....but I've never heard anybody talked about them. My favorite shows are: The Mentalist (Simon Baker, underrated actor), Person of Interest (Caviezel...so far from Jesus yet, so great in that show), Revenge (that Canada Van Camp girl is just too good looking) and the Blacklist (James Spader is incredible in that show). I guess those are shows for the older guys like myself.... I hate where the Mentalist is going now though with that change of scenery and all. Pretty much relieved that it's only going to exist for another year...but the previous ones were awfully fun to watch. Simon Baker is a great actor. And I had no idea he had played in another TV show before called The Guardian. Wondering if it's worth watching.

By the way, a great internet site as far as shows are concerned, ratings, previews and so is TheFutonCritic.com. Just an awesome site.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 12-28-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old
12-28-2013, 10:52 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
What about Mad Men?
Probably the best show left on TV in terms of drama and depth but it's rather light on plot and can be compared to a soap opera at times. I like it a lot but many don't.

And I know this is the TV/Movies thread but I'm currently reading The Master and Margarita and it's truly great.

Old
12-28-2013, 11:00 AM
JPGoHabsGo

Quote:
What about Mad Men?
I saw the first episode on netflix not too long ago, its pretty good

Old
12-28-2013, 11:58 AM
LastChancePrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Somehow there,s a lot of people watching the shows I'm going to mention....but I've never heard anybody talked about them. My favorite shows are: The Mentalist (Simon Baker, underrated actor), Person of Interest (Caviezel...so far from Jesus yet, so great in that show), Revenge (that Canada Van Camp girl is just too good looking) and the Blacklist (James Spader is incredible in that show). I guess those are shows for the older guys like myself.... I hate where the Mentalist is going now though with that change of scenery and all. Pretty much relieved that it's only going to exist for another year...but the previous ones were awfully fun to watch. Simon Baker is a great actor. And I had no idea he had played in another TV show before called The Guardian. Wondering if it's worth watching.

By the way, a great internet site as far as shows are concerned, ratings, previews and so is TheFutonCritic.com. Just an awesome site.
The website you linked show a popup of fake Java Updated, which is a virus. Just to let everyone know. DO NO UPDATE this java update. Some sites have this page for java update, and its a virus.

Old
12-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
just watched the original robocop again in preparation for the upcoming remake, and i don't care what anyone says, Paul Verhoeven is a fantastic satirical director.

in any case, although somewhat cheesy at times (1987 will do that to you) robocop is still ****ing awesome and deals with some serious issues that are very relevant today

edit: just watched the new robocop's trailer and holy dog **** does it look bad...
Robocop was freaking awesome. I remember playing with my robocop figurines and listening to the movie as a kid, which is .... inappropriate to say the least ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Probably the best show left on TV in terms of drama and depth but it's rather light on plot and can be compared to a soap opera at times. I like it a lot but many don't.

And I know this is the TV/Movies thread but I'm currently reading The Master and Margarita and it's truly great.
In other news, W7 likes Young and the Restless.

Man card, revoked.

Old
12-28-2013, 01:14 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
What about Mad Men?
It's great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

You should check out The Good Wife. That show is the best on 'regular TV'.

Old
12-28-2013, 03:32 PM
DAChampion

They are also rebooting Terminator, which bothers me because I find the first movie perfect.

Old
12-28-2013, 03:39 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
They are also rebooting Terminator, which bothers me because I find the first movie perfect.
The 2nd is the master piece

Probably the greatest action movie of all time.

Old
12-28-2013, 03:44 PM
DAChampion

I like both of the Terminator movies.

Old
12-28-2013, 03:52 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
The 2nd is the master piece

Probably the greatest action movie of all time.
The 2nd is outstanding but has some flaws. They should've treated the film a lot more seriously as they did in the 1st one.

- Bad to the Bone plays once he steals the clothes
- The kid is just flat out annoying
- The ridiculous 'thumbs up' scene when Arnie is terminated.

Just seems like it was orchestrated to make Arnie look like the 'good guy'... just should've played it more straight.

Other than this (and its easy to overlook this stuff) the movie is pretty much a perfect action film. The scenes where he 'flips' the shotgun while he's on the motorbike is just so cool. Great movie.

Greatest action movie of all-time though? Can't beat Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Old
12-28-2013, 04:46 PM
DAChampion

I loved the thumbs up scene at the end.

Arnold was the good guy in the film, that was part of the point.

Old
12-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I loved the thumbs up scene at the end.

Arnold was the good guy in the film, that was part of the point.
I expected the vat to turn into hot bubbling mozzerella cheese.

The Terminator was great because they treated the material seriously, when you start goofing with that it takes on a different vibe. Maybe some people liked it but I cringed when he put on those sunglasses and Bad to the Bone started playing.

Old
12-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Andy

The thumbs up scene was important imo. It showed that the Robot/Machines were able to understand the value of human life...maybe even before the humans did. It reminds of that scene in the movie at the gas station where the two kids are playing with guns and John Connor says something like "is it in our nature to kill ourselves?".

Old
12-28-2013, 05:21 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The thumbs up scene was important imo. It showed that the Robot/Machines were able to understand the value of human life...maybe even before the humans did. It reminds of that scene in the movie at the gas station where the two kids are playing with guns and John Connor says something like "is it in our nature to kill ourselves?".
Why would a robot do this? I mean seriously...

To each their own I guess but to me that was just so bad.

Closed Thread