HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Let’s Not Get Crazy About This Diversity Idea

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-28-2013, 08:24 AM
  #1
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Let’s Not Get Crazy About This Diversity Idea

http://politicker.com/2013/12/de-bla...iversity-idea/


De Blasio Laughs Off Idea of Hiring Republicans: ‘Let’s Not Get Crazy About This Diversity Idea’

By Jill Colvin 12/22 12:45pm

Mayor-elect Bill de Blasio, who vowed throughout his campaign to build an administration that mirrored the city, laughed off the idea of hiring Republicans this morning at a press conference announcing his latest pick.

“Let’s not get crazy about this diversity idea,” joked Mr. de Blasio when asked whether he was considering appointees from across the aisle as he works to fill his incoming administration. The response draw laughs from Mr. de Blasio and many in the audience, including his wife.

Still Mr. de Blasio quickly shifted his response, noting that several of his handful of announced appointees did serve under Republican and Independent mayors.

“We actually had, if you look at the transition leadership through all the appointments we’ve made, we actually have people from the Dinkins administration, the Koch administration, the Giuliani administration and Bloomberg administration, so I am wonderfully agnostic when it comes to where people serve,” he said. “I care about what they did and I care about whether they share my values, whether I think they’ll be effective. And the folks standing with me here today are epitomes of that.”

He went on to say that he’s open to considering Republicans–but stressed that the chance of them sharing his values is unlikely.

“I haven’t set a goal around Republican representation … But we will look at any candidate for if they fit our values and our approach … You know what? It’s a free country. We consider Republicans, too. But they have to share our values.

“That may be a high bar for some Republicans,” he added with a smirk.




Once again the loony liberals demonstrate how their pigheaded lust for power makes them blind to common sense. Not to mention how they crow about "diversity" as long as all the diversity is of their ilk. With the obvious exception of 9/11, the past 20 years in NYC history have been the best 20 years in a century. The crime rates plummeted and prosperity exploded. Yet the loony liberals only see that some at the bottom stayed there through some mythical fault of Republicans, not their own stupidity of refusing to learn in school because it wasn't cool or not leaving an endless string of pregnant b*tches in their wake to beg on the food stamp line.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 08:46 AM
  #2
Ugmo
Registered User
 
Ugmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Austria
Posts: 9,136
vCash: 500
Common sense. Because the Republicans have been behaving so delightfully over the past few years that they DESERVE jobs in Democratic administrations.

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 09:07 AM
  #3
651*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Capital of MN 651
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Liberals don't need competence and common sense when appointing their leaders, just throw money at 'em and they'll lap anything up. Only in a loony liberal city like NYC could something like this happen:

Quote:
Bloomberg Spent $102 Million to Win 3rd Term

To eke out a narrow re-election victory over the city’s understated comptroller, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg spent $102 million of his own money, or about $183 per vote, according to data released on Friday, making his bid for a third term the most expensive campaign in municipal history.

Mr. Bloomberg, the wealthiest man in New York City, shattered his own previous records: he poured $85 million into his campaign in 2005, and $74 million on his first bid for office in 2001.

And the $102 million tab is likely to rise: the mayor has not yet doled out his storied bonuses to campaign workers, which can top $100,000 a person. That spending will not be reported until after his inauguration.
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...3rd-term/?_r=0

And make no mistake about it Bloomberg is a liberal any way you cut it.

651* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 09:15 AM
  #4
Ugmo
Registered User
 
Ugmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Austria
Posts: 9,136
vCash: 500
Nice, we have Mr. Atoz implying that Bloomberg is a conservative (hence why NYC is doing so well) and 651 claiming he's a liberal. Battle of the right wing talking point machines.

Psst, fellas - you might want to coordinate your talking points a little better next time.

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 09:32 AM
  #5
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,815
vCash: 50
First, I will say that ugmo's point that past bad behavior by Republicans justifies future bad behavior by Democrats is an insipid idea.

However, the idea that an elected executive official should appoint people who disagree with his views just for diversity, is idiotic.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 09:43 AM
  #6
Ugmo
Registered User
 
Ugmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Austria
Posts: 9,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
First, I will say that ugmo's point that past bad behavior by Republicans justifies future bad behavior by Democrats is an insipid idea.

However, the idea that an elected executive official should appoint people who disagree with his views just for diversity, is idiotic.
Well okay, but not appointing members of the opposite party for the reason you stated in your second sentence doesn't exactly qualify as bad behavior. You should appoint the best people for the job, and unless De Blasio is lying, that's what he's done.

Making flippant jokes about Republicans in a press conference is poor taste though. That's what this place is for!

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 10:40 AM
  #7
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,815
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
Well okay, but not appointing members of the opposite party for the reason you stated in your second sentence doesn't exactly qualify as bad behavior. You should appoint the best people for the job, and unless De Blasio is lying, that's what he's done.

Making flippant jokes about Republicans in a press conference is poor taste though. That's what this place is for!
but "the job" is carrying out the executive's agenda… so by definition the "best people for the job" would be people who support and agree with said agenda… I mean, do you think anyone would have seriously suggested that Obama should have appointed Republicans to cabinet posts or top executive positions just to "be diverse"?

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 11:21 AM
  #8
Ugmo
Registered User
 
Ugmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Austria
Posts: 9,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
but "the job" is carrying out the executive's agenda… so by definition the "best people for the job" would be people who support and agree with said agenda… I mean, do you think anyone would have seriously suggested that Obama should have appointed Republicans to cabinet posts or top executive positions just to "be diverse"?
I'm sure people DID suggest that. Look at this article. People appear to be suggesting that De Blasio should appoint Republicans just to be diverse.

For that matter, can you argue that there isn't already a general push toward diversity for diversity's sake? I can certainly understand the argument that having a different point of view represented on your cabinet is a positive development, provided the person who holds it is also qualified for the job.

As I said, the main problem here is probably that De Blasio shouldn't be needling Republicans with unnecessary petty jokes during press conferences.

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 12:04 PM
  #9
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince
 
Kellogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,061
vCash: 500
There's a big difference between political views which can and do change for a lot of people, and real diversity on things people generally can't change (ethnicity, race, skin colour etc.)

Kellogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 01:48 PM
  #10
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellogs View Post
There's a big difference between political views which can and do change for a lot of people, and real diversity on things people generally can't change (ethnicity, race, skin colour etc.)

This is so typical of liberals' views. They claim to want diversity, but only as they define diversity. They want more blacks, hispanics, women and gays - so long as they're all liberal. Case in point: Clarence Thomas. Liberals should have loved Clarence Thomas. A less qualified black appointed over many more qualified whites (see Robert Bork). But Clarence Thomas didn't count for diversity because he was a conservative and not a liberal.

Awhile back I saw a college president's press conference. He was bragging how diverse his faculty was. So many women, blacks, etc. He was then asked why diversity was important. He responded with the usual "differing points of view", etc. He was then asked how many Republicans were on the faculty. He responded with a blank stare. Not only did he have no clue, the thought never occurred to him. Diverse ideas to liberals are only diverse liberal ideas. They have no capacity to see anything else.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 03:35 PM
  #11
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,405
vCash: 50
That above post is too hilarious to be real. People have a problem with Clarence Thomas because he was a less qualified candidate, which is what you just said before spinning your argument into the usual drivel. Thanks.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 03:40 PM
  #12
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW
 
Concordski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 6,997
vCash: 663
Less qualified and also an alleged pervert.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 03:48 PM
  #13
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,405
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordski View Post
Less qualified and also an alleged pervert.
That's okay though. If you're a liberal, even one who doesn't agree with affirmative action like I am, when you criticize an alleged pervert who was less qualified than other people for the highest court in the land, you're only doing it because the alleged pervert is a conservative. Laughable.

Not to mention, Thomas owes his job to affirmative action, which is something he has been critical of. His supporters also say the same things about affirmative action without realizing the irony of their statements.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 04:09 PM
  #14
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Win it for Robidas!
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 24,832
vCash: 500
Yes, and conservatives only want the most qualified people - so long as they're all conservative (see Robert Bork).

I put very little stock in diversity adding anything to an organization, but this broad brush you paint with it mind numbingly painful.

/replying to Mr. Atoz, sorry

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 05:23 PM
  #15
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls
 
Tubby Tuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,632
vCash: 500
I didn't realize right wing whacko was a protected class. I guess eventually it will be if your posts are any indication.

Tubby Tuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 08:01 PM
  #16
Vyacheslav
That one guy
 
Vyacheslav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Jackson, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 14,629
vCash: 541
Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Case in point: Clarence Thomas. Liberals should have loved Clarence Thomas. A less qualified black appointed over many more qualified whites (see Robert Bork). But Clarence Thomas didn't count for diversity because he was a conservative and not a liberal.
Your idea of what a liberal is seems a little racist. Liberals should love anyone if they're black, regardless of their opinions?

Vyacheslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.