HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa signs Martin to a "Multi-year" Extension

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2004, 03:48 PM
  #1
Egil
Registered User
 
Egil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,832
vCash: 500
Ottawa signs Martin to a "Multi-year" Extension

From various sources, including TSN

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=69706

A good move by Ottawa, locking up the best and longest serving coach in the NHL.

Egil is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 04:34 PM
  #2
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
From various sources, including TSN

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=69706

A good move by Ottawa, locking up the best and longest serving coach in the NHL.

The longest serving, but he can't be considered the top coach in the NHL. He's certainly one of the better ones, but he's never even gotten a team to a Cup Final, let alone win a Cup.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 04:36 PM
  #3
The Lehner
#LehnerTime
 
The Lehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
The longest serving, but he can't be considered the top coach in the NHL. He's certainly one of the better ones, but he's never even gotten a team to a Cup Final, let alone win a Cup.
Was he a good enough coach to lead his team over your Flyers the last 2 years?

The Lehner is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 04:39 PM
  #4
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is
 
Poignant Discussion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Gatineau, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,757
vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlat9
Was he a good enough coach to lead his team over your Flyers the last 2 years?

Lemaire by FAR is the best coach in the NHL

Poignant Discussion is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 04:47 PM
  #5
Egil
Registered User
 
Egil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NataSatan666
Lemaire by FAR is the best coach in the NHL
Martin handed Lemaire his lunch a few years ago. And Martin did what Hartley can only dream of, taking over an expansion team and leading them to the playoffs the next year, despite some horrible injuries (Ottawa lost 2 of their top 4 D to season ending knee injuries 5 games into the year).

Egil is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 05:02 PM
  #6
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NataSatan666
Lemaire by FAR is the best coach in the NHL
I'll disagree there. Lemaire may be the best coach in the NHL, but he isn't a far and away winner.

I'd give Lemaire a very slight edge over Hitchcock and Burns.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 05:34 PM
  #7
Poulinsflakjacket
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 79
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlat9
Was he a good enough coach to lead his team over your Flyers the last 2 years?
So does that make Pat Burns and Pat Quinn better coaches then Martin since they have beaten Ottawa before in the playoffs? Dumb reasoning...

Poulinsflakjacket is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 07:13 PM
  #8
The Lehner
#LehnerTime
 
The Lehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulinsflakjacket
So does that make Pat Burns and Pat Quinn better coaches then Martin since they have beaten Ottawa before in the playoffs? Dumb reasoning...
Yes...I would say that Pat Quinn outcoached Jacques Martin in the Leafs-Sens series in 2001 (Leafs sweep) when Corson shadowed Yashin brilliantly and Martin did nothing to respond to that (likely, Yashin didn't respond to Martin)...

Pat Burns has won the Cup last year so he should be regarded as a better coach than Martin IMO. I think Martin is a good coach but is he an upper echelon coach? I don't know.

The Lehner is offline  
Old
01-26-2004, 07:24 PM
  #9
Poulinsflakjacket
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 79
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlat9
Yes...I would say that Pat Quinn outcoached Jacques Martin in the Leafs-Sens series in 2001 (Leafs sweep) when Corson shadowed Yashin brilliantly and Martin did nothing to respond to that (likely, Yashin didn't respond to Martin)...

Pat Burns has won the Cup last year so he should be regarded as a better coach than Martin IMO. I think Martin is a good coach but is he an upper echelon coach? I don't know.
My bad Havlat...I should have read the original post you were replying too a little better. I believe Martin is a very good coach and in the 2nd tier of coaches (which there area many of). He can jump to the next level by getting Ottawa to a cup.

Poulinsflakjacket is offline  
Old
01-27-2004, 03:01 AM
  #10
Burke's Evil Spirit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 15,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
Martin handed Lemaire his lunch a few years ago. And Martin did what Hartley can only dream of, taking over an expansion team and leading them to the playoffs the next year, despite some horrible injuries (Ottawa lost 2 of their top 4 D to season ending knee injuries 5 games into the year).
Let's not be hasty - Hartley *may* do this in Atlanta

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.