HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sat., Dec. 28, 2013| Flyers 4 at Oilers 3 (2-1 in the shootout)

Old
12-29-2013, 01:37 AM
Empty Net Goal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
That is sacrilege.
Have you seen how cheap Gagne jerseys are?

Empty Net Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 01:38 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
So hot right now
Hansel?

whatthef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 01:39 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Your consistency is admirable.

And no no no no no why trade for him when he's gonna sign here in a couple years for free!?!?!?1
I think it all matters on a few things.

1) Does he re-sign in Ottawa? I am not thinking it's a lock. They might look to move him if they continue to struggle the way they have.

2) What defenders are out there that are available at the draft? Will they make losing Kimmo insufferable, or can they find a big named defender who can fill those shoes? I know people think it's silly, but I look at Nashville.

3) If Ryan is on the table, what's the price? I don't mind moving a late first if we get into the playoffs at the draft, chances are that player never comes anywhere near what Ryan will be. It's the pieces that we add to get him, if it's Laughton or any of our top 4(Hagg, Ghost, Morin) I decline.

4) WE NEED HIM!

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 01:40 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Don't forget Hartnell!

He does have 5 points in his last 5 games to give credit where it is due.
Give credit to his butt? Because I think at least half those point came from the puck bouncing off his ass.

whatthef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 01:43 AM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I think it all matters on a few things.

1) Does he re-sign in Ottawa? I am not thinking it's a lock. They might look to move him if they continue to struggle the way they have.

2) What defenders are out there that are available at the draft? Will they make losing Kimmo insufferable, or can they find a big named defender who can fill those shoes? I know people think it's silly, but I look at Nashville.

3) If Ryan is on the table, what's the price? I don't mind moving a late first if we get into the playoffs at the draft, chances are that player never comes anywhere near what Ryan will be. It's the pieces that we add to get him, if it's Laughton or any of our top 4(Hagg, Ghost, Morin) I decline.

4) WE NEED HIM!
Who needs Bobby Ryan when you have Michael Raffl?

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 01:45 AM
Prongo
Beer

Bryz was happy to get the point. A losers mentality. Why would you be happy for 1 point in a lose. I would be pissed, especially with the way they played.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 01:57 AM
WACCAttack

GIF of G's shootout goal. I love the Canucks fan in the background cheering afterwards haha

WACCAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 02:00 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

its got to be incredibly depressing to be an edmonton fan

how can you even get excited for the 1st overall pick when you have tons on your team and every year is just worse and worse

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 02:10 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by WACCAttack View Post
GIF of G's shootout goal. I love the Canucks fan in the background cheering afterwards haha

What a perfect angle and shot.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 02:24 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by WACCAttack View Post
The casualness of the shot is hilarious. Glad they won this one; thank you power play!

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 02:36 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Funny, I'm happy we won, but I still hate SO wins mainly because it kills our ROW.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 03:08 AM
Lindberg

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Bryz throw his stick in the air. Any reason he wasn't assessed a penalty for that? Perhaps my understanding of the unsportsmanlike conduct rule doesn't apply there?

Lindberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 03:22 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindberg View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Bryz throw his stick in the air. Any reason he wasn't assessed a penalty for that? Perhaps my understanding of the unsportsmanlike conduct rule doesn't apply there?
The unsportsmanlike penalty is generally issued if the object is tossed at an opposing player. If a referee sees it as symbolic of frustration, with no impact on play, then a minor wouldn't be called. Not unlike if a skater slams his stick on the ice perhaps after a defensive breakdown led to a goal. If a player tossed his stick from a bench area (penalty box, team bench), then it would almost certainly be accompanied by a penalty. There is a rule pertaining to throwing equipment but in that it didn't affect play or wasn't directed at a person, it would be overlooked in this instance.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 03:26 AM
Lindberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The unsportsmanlike penalty is generally issued if the object is tossed at an opposing player. If a referee sees it as symbolic of frustration, with no impact on play, then a minor wouldn't be called. Not unlike if a skater slams his stick on the ice perhaps after a defensive breakdown led to a goal. If a player tossed his stick from a bench area (penalty box, team bench), then it would almost certainly be accompanied by a penalty. There is a rule pertaining to throwing equipment but in that it didn't affect play or wasn't directed at a person, it would be overlooked in this instance.
Good to know. I guess my memory hasn't served me well since I thought there were a few instances sort of like this where the goalie was issued a penalty.

Lindberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 08:14 AM
FlyingPhilly

I think I had the CBC stream. The announcers said Bryz was an athletic goalie with good movement and puck tracking skills sometime in the 2nd, I believe.

Last edited by FlyingPhilly: 12-29-2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: wrong station
FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Bryz was happy to get the point. A losers mentality. Why would you be happy for 1 point in a lose. I would be pissed, especially with the way they played.
He had to be pissed and just trying to put a good spin on the outcome.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 08:47 AM
harpoon
FOB

I guess I shouldn't be, but I'm kind of surprised at the level of hate here for Bryzgalov. So far he's been a model citizen in Edmonton. Bit of a space cadet, but who cares about that as long as he stops pucks; and trust me, he's been a massive improvement over the goaltending we were getting from Dubnyk.

I thought Bryzgalov played very well last night. Definitely better than Mason. No doubt Giroux owned him hard on the shootout, but the Raffl goal? Please, nobody stops that shot. Kind of like the Eberle goal.

As for tossing the stick. Meh. Big deal. Stuff like that happens in hockey. The funniest thing was hearing Kelly ****ing Hrudey go on and on about it as if didn't have a reputation as a spastic nutcase when he was in the league.

Anyway, good game. I'm sure very few Oiler fans expected a win against a team like Philly. But hey, I thought we showed some guts pushing back to get that third goal. We'll take the point.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 08:55 AM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
its got to be incredibly depressing to be an edmonton fan

how can you even get excited for the 1st overall pick when you have tons on your team and every year is just worse and worse
They'll pick #1 the next ten years if they continue to draft soft, individual players. Seriously the softest team I think ive ever seen. Simmonds could of had 4 goals last night they have no answer for big physical guys.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 09:51 AM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceman26 View Post
They'll pick #1 the next ten years if they continue to draft soft, individual players. Seriously the softest team I think ive ever seen. Simmonds could of had 4 goals last night they have no answer for big physical guys.
They could really do with their own version of Sean Couturier quite frankly... it is pretty bad when RNH could possibly be your 3rd best forward from a defensive standpoint.

But who is there like that in the draft? McCann? And ofc they will likely end up with a top 3 pick and have their hand forced a bit with who they draft.

The only good two-way forward they have drafted early on in the last few years was Cogliano... and they moved him.

Gagner, Eberle, Paarjarvi, Hall, RNH and Yakupov as their top picks in 6 of the last 7.

I am still surprised they did not move down from Yakupov and get 2 first rounders or something.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 09:57 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
I think I had the TCN stream. The announcers said Bryz was an athletic goalie with good movement and puck tracking skills sometime in the 2nd, I believe.
TCN as in the Comcast Network? They, especially Keith Jones, were mocking Bryz all night. They said that he had a good game and made a lot of saves (35 to be exact) which is true but they also said he's not very athletic and the Flyers needed to get him moving east and west. Jones throughout the broadcast mentioned a cosmonaut suit, Bryz's interaction with his d-men, making snow angels while he was down after a goal as well as commenting on his stick tossing. It was evident they don't like him very much.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 10:30 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I guess I shouldn't be, but I'm kind of surprised at the level of hate here for Bryzgalov. So far he's been a model citizen in Edmonton. Bit of a space cadet, but who cares about that as long as he stops pucks; and trust me, he's been a massive improvement over the goaltending we were getting from Dubnyk.

I thought Bryzgalov played very well last night. Definitely better than Mason. No doubt Giroux owned him hard on the shootout, but the Raffl goal? Please, nobody stops that shot. Kind of like the Eberle goal.

As for tossing the stick. Meh. Big deal. Stuff like that happens in hockey. The funniest thing was hearing Kelly ****ing Hrudey go on and on about it as if didn't have a reputation as a spastic nutcase when he was in the league.

Anyway, good game. I'm sure very few Oiler fans expected a win against a team like Philly. But hey, I thought we showed some guts pushing back to get that third goal. We'll take the point.
He's a loser so he fits right in up in Edmonton.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 10:45 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindberg View Post
Good to know. I guess my memory hasn't served me well since I thought there were a few instances sort of like this where the goalie was issued a penalty.
It could very well be that in certain situations referees have issued minors or even a 10-minute misconduct. To devise a scenario, if a ref called a minor to a goalie who then verbally complained, the ref admonished the player in reply. A goal was scored almost immediately after the faceoff, the goalie flipped out and tossed his stick in a similar fashion; sure, the ref would be justified in administering an additional penalty because of the gesture since the goalie's actions signaled disapproval toward the call.

When the Flyers had a goalie named Phil Myre, he went on a tirade against a goal judge and as I recall he got a minor and a misconduct. It was one of the truly unique tantrums though likely lost to history and surviving only in memory. After the game, he was quoted as saying "It was the most crooked call I have ever seen in my life." Pat Quinn said the goal judge "cost us the game." In that scene, no player or on-ice official was the object of the action but an off-ice official had the extended benefit of protected treatment.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 12-29-2013 at 10:52 AM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 10:51 AM
DayoftheGreek

Quote:
You really should not be surprised. Philly has always been a goalie circus, and what some people expected to be the end to that ended up being the biggest attraction at the freak show. On top of his huge salary, long contract, and space cadet antics, he only looked good stopping pucks for maybe a few months during his time in Philly.

I don't hate the guy and I want him to at least play average hockey, but I seriously worry about what would have happened if the Flyers didn't get those lock-out buyouts.

DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 11:01 AM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:

Pretty much any player that doesn't live up to their expectations in Philly will end up being hated. Especially if they dare to show their personality.

I like Bryz the character. Bryz the goalie is hit and miss. It looked like he had no chance on the first 2 goals. I wouldn't fault him for the Giroux shootout goal either, we've seen Giroux make many goalies look completely ridiculous in that situation.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 11:05 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:

Bryz: .921 - no even strength goals against
Mason: .813 - 2 even strength goals against

game winning goal was a perfect top shelf shootout goal ..... 3rd star of the game & the only reason EDM got a point .....

did he look 'smooth' ? no. he never does ...... but stats-wise he outplayed Mason.

that said, we HAD TO get those 2 points, so i'm thrilled !!

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote