HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tobacco

Old
12-29-2013, 01:38 PM
mbhhofr

vCash: 500
Tobacco

This is an article from the Winnipeg Free Press. Is it another wake up call?

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...237547261.html

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 02:29 PM
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha

So they chew tobacco. Big deal.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 02:31 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
It actually is a big deal.

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 02:35 PM
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch for the Yeti View Post
It actually is a big deal.
Come on, I see 12 years old kids everyday hiding in the backstreets to smoke after school, and that's nothing new.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 02:57 PM
Terry Yake

it's pretty much the same as smoking cigarettes except it's being done in a different form

it's been present in the sports world for years and years and just like cigarettes, it'll continue to stay that way as more kids start doing it once they see their peers doing so. obviously it's bad for you and obviously the kids know that

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 02:58 PM
Chip Chipperson

Quote:
Pretty much this. Who cares.

Chip Chipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 03:18 PM
boo10

This is actually very shocking to me, as I played hockey at the highest levels in my youth and never, ever saw anyone using chew. Sudafed on the other hand........

In contrast, I also played high level baseball and was introduced to "Chaw" at a very early age, (13 or so). Teabags or more commonly, a wad of tobacco wrapped in Big League Chew.

boo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Rosen Plevneliev

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo10 View Post
This is actually very shocking to me, as I played hockey at the highest levels in my youth and never, ever saw anyone using chew. Sudafed on the other hand........

In contrast, I also played high level baseball and was introduced to "Chaw" at a very early age, (13 or so). Teabags or more commonly, a wad of tobacco wrapped in Big League Chew.
I started to see it once I hit bantam. On my junior team almost all the players chewed, but they stopped chewing at the rink when the coach booted our starting goalie off of the team for giving some to a 16 year old call up. I tried it, but I didn't like it so it never became a habit for me.

Once I got to pro I saw only a couple of team-mates chewing.

I think the reason young kids start doing it is that they see the older "cool kids" chewing and want to do it, and then they become the "cool kids" and the cycle continues.

Rosen Plevneliev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Canadiens1958

Chewing Tobacco

Thank you mbhhofr for posting a very informative and important article touching health issues that impact our youth.

If such issues do not concern you then kindly internalize them and avoid the submit reply button.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 03:52 PM
clapper19*

I share a similar story with many kids who started young. I played varsity baseball and hockey starting in 9th grade and was introduced to it very young. I'm 24 now and started chewing full time when I was 16 years old averaging a little over a tin a day for 8 years. scary. I was close to two tins a day playing college baseball.

clapper19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 07:21 AM
mbhhofr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Yake View Post
it's pretty much the same as smoking cigarettes except it's being done in a different form
Not the same. These lines toward the end of the article caught my eye:

Chew delivers more nicotine than cigarettes.

Chewing tobacco is kept in the mouth for many hours (60 minutes equals eight cigarettes). The high nicotine levels make quitting very difficult.

Smokeless tobacco use is associated with gum disease, the development or oral cancer and tooth decay. At least 28 chemicals in smokeless tobacco have been found to cause cancer.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 09:07 AM
shoeshine boy

once in a beer league game the opposing goalie went flying off the ice and out the door in the middle of play so that he could puke into a trash can. turns out the idiot had swallowed the smokeless tobacco that he had in his lip. he tried to tell the refs it was coffee but they weren't buying it.
they tossed him out of the game because somewhere in the USA Hockey rules it forbids using tobacco during a game.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
once in a beer league game the opposing goalie went flying off the ice and out the door in the middle of play so that he could puke into a trash can. turns out the idiot had swallowed the smokeless tobacco that he had in his lip. he tried to tell the refs it was coffee but they weren't buying it.
they tossed him out of the game because somewhere in the USA Hockey rules it forbids using tobacco during a game.
Ya, thats one of the many strange parts about it. Youd think in a full contact sport where your often being hit or without thinking just might swallow, then your cooked. Its coming back before its halfway down & your throwing up. The other thing is generally when your playing your mouth will get dry, your sweating, having a chaw of tobacco in your mouth just about the last thing youd want as youd be spitting that crap out, the nicotine absorbed & absolutely inhibiting rather than increasing performance. Just crazy. Unlike cigarettes I guess it doesnt affect the respiratory system but like cigarettes and with one chew the equivalent of 8 cigarettes absolutely thats going to affect several vital organs including the heart.... certainly appears endemic, an epidemic. A dangerous fad thats highly addictive. Really kind of bizarre. Like a throwback to the early & mid 20th century. Chewing tobacco. Incredible.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 12:19 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Chew is a part of hockey culture. Like it or not, it's always going to be found at the rink. Even in high school, most of the guys would take a dip in the locker room. Some guys all the time, others very rarely, some never. It wasn't a big thing, people just did what they wanted. The guys who didn't chew would sometimes poke fun ("hey can I have some mouth cancer too!") but that was just friendly ribbing.

I don't chew. Never tried it. But I don't really care if any of my teammates do. Just let everyone do their thing.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Come on, I see 12 years old kids everyday hiding in the backstreets to smoke after school, and that's nothing new.
Does not mean its a big deal...
Yet this is not really news. Chewing tobacco is huge among hockey players.

You cant really force them to not do it. There is no way to prove it either.

Its a real shame when people do this. Its a shame a lot of people do half of the things they do but its their lives. Dont endanger any lives around you and I could care less. Oh, and do you job.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 01:15 PM
leftwinger37

It's been a part of the culture as long as I can remember. But then again, so is drinking beers after mens league games. If I were a junior coach, I would ban it from the bus, rink, locker room, etc. if for no other reason than ensuring it doesn't have an effect on the athletes performance.

Ultimately, this is one of those areas where it's up to the individual to make the right choices. Kids do lots of dumb things; I know because I did plenty of dumb things myself. As long as they are of age and obtianing it legally you just have to chalk it up as a bad decision. Unfortunately, they may have to suffer the consequences in terms of their health, but that's life.

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 03:54 PM
MNjens

Feel like chewing is something that's kind of brushed under the rug in professional sports. I'd say it's a minority of players that use it in hockey and baseball. I started when I was 18 (22 now) and me personally there's nothing better then playing on a outdoor rink in the dead of winter with a chaw in. Just don't be stupid giving it to little kids and stuff

MNjens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

Speaking from experience... It's so difficult to quit. Started when I was 15 or 16 (I'm 24 now) and just recently quit 4 months ago. Friends in high school were doing it on the bus, teammates on the hockey team were doing it too, so I decided to give it a try. Used to go through a tin a day like it was nothing. My pre-game ritual always started with a dip in. Felt like I couldn't play without it.

4 months ago, I ended up with some "areas of concern" along my gums. I'm having a follow up appointment in a couple of months to see if a biopsy needs to be done. Haven't touched dip since that day.

Having said that, it doesn't bother me if professional players, or anyone else for that matter, are doing it. It's their own personal choice, just like it was mine. You hate to see young kids starting. It's terrible. But they're are always going to be kids smoking or chewing no matter what the circumstance.

Bridges31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 02:15 PM
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauner View Post
Chew is a part of hockey culture. Like it or not, it's always going to be found at the rink.
People would have said the same thing about smoking in bars and restaurants, and that's slowly going away as well.

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 02:31 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Glad to say I never, ever tried chewing tobacco. Smoked on and off for a few years, but I've got enough bad health habits.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 04:32 PM
clapper19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Glad to say I never, ever tried chewing tobacco. Smoked on and off for a few years, but I've got enough bad health habits.
Should actually try it. It tastes good and beginners catch a nice buzz. Don't get addicted though. Much better than smoking (I've tried smoking once in my life and hated it)

clapper19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 05:14 PM
thom

So you would rather drink a bottle of vodka than smoke cigarettes really.Whiskey vodka rum all forms of liquer is 10 times worse than smoking

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 12-31-2013 at 05:35 PM.
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 05:48 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
So you would rather drink a bottle of vodka than smoke cigarettes really.Whiskey vodka rum all forms of liquer is 10 times worse than smoking
Are we really comparing the two.

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 05:52 PM
thom

Sorry I just want to argue the point that sure tobacco can cause cancer but is Whiskey really a better solution.just sayin not judging I dont care of you do both or do neither

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 05:54 PM
MNjens

Grizzly Wintergreen. Anybody? ?

MNjens is online now   Reply With Quote