HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Plays where an elite/all time great player was made to look "silly"

Old
12-27-2013, 02:25 PM
goeb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Sucks to be the guy who matched up against every star of the 1980s AND 1990s
Yes..especially Superstar Brad May

Biggest anomaly in hockey, Bourque getting May-dayed

goeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 02:41 PM
goeb

Yzerman with a nifty little trick on Kevin Lowe

http://youtu.be/iAJ4-1vnu9s

Savard beats the elite Oilers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T60mjoa5Wow

Old
12-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeb View Post
Yes..especially Superstar Brad May

Biggest anomaly in hockey, Bourque getting May-dayed
You can't play 22 years in the NHL for 30 minutes per game and not have someone find a clip of you getting danced around by a player. It'll happen. As we've seen, even Orr had an old Henri Richard make him look foolish in 1971. I will agree that Brad May is not the player you want dancing around you, but who in their right mind would have thought Brad May would pull that kind of move? Not Bourque I bet.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 04:41 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
10 AM Its Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
You can't play 22 years in the NHL for 30 minutes per game and not have someone find a clip of you getting danced around by a player. It'll happen. As we've seen, even Orr had an old Henri Richard make him look foolish in 1971. I will agree that Brad May is not the player you want dancing around you, but who in their right mind would have thought Brad May would pull that kind of move? Not Bourque I bet.
Yeah, its gonna happen to the best of them. And it doesn't take anything away from the greatness of Bourque. But, I tell you, how many were ready to have Lafleur hung when Krutov faked him and scored in that 81 CC final?

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 04:45 PM
thom

You stole my line lafleur.He made another poor play that led to a goal,he lifted his leg on a blue line shot instead of blocking it.He had played very well in series even defencive he was more than adequate.But the final game he stunk the joint and I hate to admit it

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 05:05 PM
goeb

Quote:
I completely agree...very forgettable series for Bourque and the Bruins, a four game sweep capped by a highlight reel goal from Brad May.

We need a new thread with highlight reel plays from checking line forwards!

Old
12-27-2013, 09:14 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa Shark View Post
From a ducks rangers game a few years ago. I remember nigel dawes deking Pronger out of his skates to go in and score. Anyone else remember this?
I do. I believe he went through his legs.

Actually, the play was a beauty (though the finish was kind of ugly).

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 10:41 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
10 AM Its Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
You stole my line lafleur.He made another poor play that led to a goal,he lifted his leg on a blue line shot instead of blocking it.He had played very well in series even defencive he was more than adequate.But the final game he stunk the joint and I hate to admit it
That was a total team effort stink job, but I recall, at least in the Prairies, specifically Manitoba, how everyone wanted to dump the blame on Lafleur. I'm not sure what that was about, but its quite common for the media to identify a scapegoat in such devastating, embarrassing losses like that game.

As far as lifting his leg, I don't believe star players should be blocking shots unless you're a defenseman. It happened to Parise this week and who knows how long he will be out. The shot was from the blueline and he happened to be skating through the slot and its possible he may not have been able to get out of the way, but as Cherry says, 'get out of the way' and let the goalie see the puck.

Old
12-28-2013, 01:11 AM
MarkusNaslund19

Kopitar walked Pronger to score his first NHL goal.

There was a play in the (I wanna say) 99 series between Detroit and Colorado. Larionov was playing with a broken hand. Forsberg got a breakaway, and Larionov is trying to hassle him. Then you can see the moment where Larionov just decides to take him down by any means possible. Doesn't care about a penalty shot/penalty. But he can't even slow him down. Larionov looked really old and worn down in that moment*. And I became CERTAIN that the Wings weren't winning that series.

*Larionov went on to have some great moments. Like the OT goal against Irbe in the 02 finals.

---

On a grander scale. Lindros in 97 made Messier look old and weak for the entirety of the Conference Finals. Then my Canucks signed Messier and...the less said, the better.

MarkusNaslund19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 01:30 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
Yeah, its gonna happen to the best of them. And it doesn't take anything away from the greatness of Bourque. But, I tell you, how many were ready to have Lafleur hung when Krutov faked him and scored in that 81 CC final?
I always thought Liut got the lion's share of the blame from coast to coast. 32 years later he still does. Not that he deserves all of it. When Lafleur let Krutov walk in on him like he wasn't even there the score was 4-1 with Canada on a power play if I remember correctly. Anything can happen, but it would be hard to believe the Canadians coming back even at that time. Lafleur doing that just added to the already fuelled rage. Liut didn't look strong on the shot either, to be fair.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 01:53 AM
goeb

Oh this one just came to mind from the 2002 playoffs (since someone already brought up Pronger getting victimized)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4KBkhpU6sI

Old
12-29-2013, 02:31 AM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post
Yeah, sorry Ray Bourque (!), but there are also a few plays in game 2 of the 1987 Canada Cup finals, where Krutov beats Bourque 1-on-1 cleanly. There's also one battle on the boards where Bourque can't handle Krutov at all and K gets a good scoring chance. I think the color guy Ron Reusch calls Krutov "The best player in Europe" after that play.

Paul Henderson's - who by his own admission was never a great 1-on-1 guy - GWG in game 7 of the Summit Series is pretty sweet; I think Gennady Tsygankov* was the humiliated one there.

* elite?
Bourque never looked too comfortable at the Canada Cups from what I've seen. How about THE winning goal, Esposito capitalizing off a turnover from Vasiliev to set up Henderson? Vasiliev is absolutely an elite player, and although by no means a horrible mistake, the timing was just brutal ...

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 08:51 AM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusNaslund19 View Post
There was a play in the (I wanna say) 99 series between Detroit and Colorado. Larionov was playing with a broken hand. Forsberg got a breakaway, and Larionov is trying to hassle him. Then you can see the moment where Larionov just decides to take him down by any means possible. Doesn't care about a penalty shot/penalty. But he can't even slow him down. Larionov looked really old and worn down in that moment*. And I became CERTAIN that the Wings weren't winning that series.

*Larionov went on to have some great moments. Like the OT goal against Irbe in the 02 finals.
(5:29)

There were a few more from that rivalry in addition to the two already mentioned:

Chelios and Lidstrom on the same play (1:59)

Coffey into his own net (1:41)

And just to give Joe Sakic some love too, here's some abuse of Stevens from the 2001 Finals against New Jersey (3:40)

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 09:35 AM
reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
(5:29)

There were a few more from that rivalry in addition to the two already mentioned:

Chelios and Lidstrom on the same play (1:59)

Coffey into his own net (1:41)

And just to give Joe Sakic some love too, here's some abuse of Stevens from the 2001 Finals against New Jersey (3:40)

Wow, not many people can have a guy hanging off their back, do a deke and put one in the net like Forsberg did there. And people question if he was elite, he was a beast especially in playoff mode.

reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 02:30 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
10 AM Its Automatic

Quote:
I always thought Liut got the lion's share of the blame from coast to coast. 32 years later he still does. Not that he deserves all of it. When Lafleur let Krutov walk in on him like he wasn't even there the score was 4-1 with Canada on a power play if I remember correctly. Anything can happen, but it would be hard to believe the Canadians coming back even at that time. Lafleur doing that just added to the already fuelled rage. Liut didn't look strong on the shot either, to be fair.
You're more than likely right. My experience occurred in a small community that was primarily anglophone. This game also occurred during an era where Quebec was threatening to separate. So there was also a lot of anti-French sentiments floating around. Joe Clark lasting 6 months as PM and then being replaced by Trudeau again was also hard for western English Canada to fathom. I was 13 at the time and a huge Lafleur fan. The Habs had just been thumped by the Oilers and then the disappointment of the CC. Lafleur went from God to sharing the same seats in the upper deck as Joe Clark in a very short period of time.