HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Preds Talk Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2013, 01:54 PM
predfan98

vCash: 500
I don't think we should trade Weber.

I do think we'll trade Legwand. I think of Spaling as gone also.
I'm not sure what Bourque is bringing to the table right now. I think Gaustad needs to go also.

And I like Eckholm over Bartley.

How with such inconsistency in play do you even address the lack of chemistry on our lines and know who to trade for? What a crapshoot it seems. It seems as if there is something missing somewhere..... do we need 2 new assistant coaches? I don't know.

I do agree with someone's comments about Petersen......It's as if he had the heart and passion and passed it to the team and now it's gone.

I don't want to trade Klein.

Old
12-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Kamikazepants

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Nobody says he needs to be "rampaging bear" Shea ... but watch his play last night against the Kings and compare it to the Stars game. The physicality level was dramatically different. The facial expressions differed. The impact on the game differed. He negated Kopitar most of the night, especially the 1st. There was a similar change in Fisher's play last night. It's amazing how when the leadership group bothers to show up, the team is competitive. When they don't, we get the last two weeks or so of play where the question isn't if we'll lose but how fast the goalies get chased and how bad the total spread will be.

Hornqvist leads by example every shift. Weber doesn't. Fisher doesn't. I'll base that on 20+ years of serving in leadership positions and developing other leaders.
Like i've said earlier, I feel like there's too much we don't see and hear to judge leadership abilities, feels like a pick and choose thing. And frankly, I'm not seeing a team that's constantly loafing around and not trying, something I would guess any kind of group with weak leadership displays. We must be seeing different things. The effort is there, but how often can we say the Predators are icing the most talented team on the ice each night? Effort only takes a team so far.

I would say consistent, excellent play is leading by example. That's what I've been seeing. Watching the little things he does, Consistently ranked up at the top in terms of hits and blocked shots. But again, I guess we disagree on what we've seen

Old
12-29-2013, 05:05 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikazepants View Post
Like i've said earlier, I feel like there's too much we don't see and hear to judge leadership abilities, feels like a pick and choose thing. And frankly, I'm not seeing a team that's constantly loafing around and not trying, something I would guess any kind of group with weak leadership displays. We must be seeing different things. The effort is there, but how often can we say the Predators are icing the most talented team on the ice each night? Effort only takes a team so far.

I would say consistent, excellent play is leading by example. That's what I've been seeing. Watching the little things he does, Consistently ranked up at the top in terms of hits and blocked shots. But again, I guess we disagree on what we've seen
Effort took much less individually talented Preds teams to the postseason year after year with guys like Fiddler, Ward, and Smithson.

This is a team with the worst win % when trailing first this season ... something it historically could overcome. This was a team that could come back in the 3rd when trailing after two ... something it's done once since the lockout (last season) after tied for 3rd in 2011-12.

I wish I could see anything that indicated effort, heart, resilience ... but it's not there most nights. It explains why the team can't come back and win ... can't perform at even strength ... is in the midst of a several season decline of 5on5 defensive efficiency ... and on and on.

Old
12-29-2013, 06:06 PM
Kamikazepants

Quote:
Effort took much less individually talented Preds teams to the postseason year after year with guys like Fiddler, Ward, and Smithson.

This is a team with the worst win % when trailing first this season ... something it historically could overcome. This was a team that could come back in the 3rd when trailing after two ... something it's done once since the lockout (last season) after tied for 3rd in 2011-12.

I wish I could see anything that indicated effort, heart, resilience ... but it's not there most nights. It explains why the team can't come back and win ... can't perform at even strength ... is in the midst of a several season decline of 5on5 defensive efficiency ... and on and on.
Much less talented? Again, I would not agree with that at all. The best forwards on this team are 2nd/3rd line tweeners at best. Honestly, that's being generous. There's potential scattered around, but nothing past the level previously mentioned. Were the forwards on past teams really that much worse than that?

I'm fairly certain there is one glaring difference between this years team, and past teams that just about any fan of hockey, Predators fan or not would see lacking: consistent goal tending. When your team has never been known as a particularly effective goal scoring team (more recently especially), and then the team goals allowed stat joins that, the results are going to be ugly.

I simply do not believe those things have much of anything to do with any form of leadership

Old
12-29-2013, 06:12 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikazepants View Post
Much less talented? Again, I would not agree with that at all. The best forwards on this team are 2nd/3rd line tweeners at best. Honestly, that's being generous. There's potential scattered around, but nothing past the level previously mentioned. Were the forwards on past teams really that much worse than that?

I'm fairly certain there is one glaring difference between this years team, and past teams that just about any fan of hockey, Predators fan or not would see lacking: consistent goal tending. When your team has never been known as a particularly effective goal scoring team (more recently especially), and then the team goals allowed stat joins that, the results are going to be ugly.

I simply do not believe those things have much of anything to do with any form of leadership
sorry, have watched the Preds in Nashville since the beginning, and they have no consistent heart or passion this year, just like last year. Even in the beginning of the franchise we outworked teams and had heart. We see that lack on the ice almost every home game. The disinterest is obvious .........

Old
12-29-2013, 06:34 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:

Those teams weren't less talented, or even close. I wasn't some huge Arnott fan, but he and Dumont were more consistent scorers in that era than anyone on the team currently.

Aside from last season, this team has less "talent" on it than any other since 03-04.

Old
12-29-2013, 09:53 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Those teams weren't less talented, or even close. I wasn't some huge Arnott fan, but he and Dumont were more consistent scorers in that era than anyone on the team currently.

Aside from last season, this team has less "talent" on it than any other since 03-04.
We actually iced Ward, Legwand, Smithson as a 2nd/3rd line in years gone by ... today that is matched by our 4th line on a talent level most nights ... maybe not when Clune skates.

Old
12-29-2013, 10:27 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
We actually iced Ward, Legwand, Smithson as a 2nd/3rd line in years gone by ... today that is matched by our 4th line on a talent level most nights ... maybe not when Clune skates.
I'd love to ice a line that worked that hard - consistently - right now. Smithson has less talent than anyone we play now, and at that time, Ward would have been the equal of Hendricks, or maybe Nystrom. Yet - that team played itself into the POs. Meanwhile, we ice Cullen and Stahlberg and Wilson and Bourque and get complete crap, and Fish and Horny and Smith and Spals and Leggy and get????? right - inconsistency.

Old
12-29-2013, 11:04 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
I'd love to ice a line that worked that hard - consistently - right now. Smithson has less talent than anyone we play now, and at that time, Ward would have been the equal of Hendricks, or maybe Nystrom. Yet - that team played itself into the POs. Meanwhile, we ice Cullen and Stahlberg and Wilson and Bourque and get complete crap, and Fish and Horny and Smith and Spals and Leggy and get????? right - inconsistency.
Don't put Hornqvist in the discussion of inconsistent players. He is the only player of our alleged top nine that busts his tail every shift. Last night showed what this team can do when guys like Fisher and Weber step their games up and apply themselves. Too many guys just seem to float most games ... no ability to come back when trailing after one, never mind two ... almost a guaranteed loss when giving up the first goal ... the fight of the Smithson, Ward, Fiddler days is conspicuously absent. If our guys like Stalberg, Wilson, Smith, Spaling could show that work level every game this team becomes dangerous.

At this point, I'd be happy to get two games of demonstrated effort in a row. We had one against the Kings ... which version of the roster shows up against the Wings?

Old
12-30-2013, 08:02 AM
PFL615

I'll say it agIn Weber is doing his part out there. I've watched every Preds game for years and Weber is far from the issue.

He simply getting the blind blame because he is the highest payed player on the team and the dreamers are fantasizing the shiny new toy they could get in a trade for him.

Maybe what you are seeing is a player who is fed up with Trotz and losing.
Winning and having help in battles changes a lot.

Old
12-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Jarnberg

People are looking to blame him for everything instead of the coaching staff and GM.

Old
12-30-2013, 12:08 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
People are looking to blame him for everything instead of the coaching staff and GM.
I prefer to blame the GM for manpower decisions, the coaches for strategy and line combos, and the players (especially the on ice leadership group) for their effort level and actions on the ice. When there is a perceived leadership issue, all of those groups have a part to play in rectifying it. I've made my concerns known to the team ... not just posted here.

Old
12-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Preds33

I place 100% of the blame on Trotz and his outdated, ineffective system.

Old
12-30-2013, 12:17 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
I prefer to blame the GM for manpower decisions, the coaches for strategy and line combos, and the players (especially the on ice leadership group) for their effort level and actions on the ice. When there is a perceived leadership issue, all of those groups have a part to play in rectifying it. I've made my concerns known to the team ... not just posted here.
This season, I've seen more cognizance of front office shortcomings among the fans than ever before.

The media hasn't caught on...when some rumblings about getting rid of Trotz popped up in November, the radio guys (currently blasting the idea that the Titans would bring Munchak back, ironically) dismissed it as the most ridiculous thing they've ever heard.

Old
12-30-2013, 12:28 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
I place 100% of the blame on Trotz and his outdated, ineffective system.
The same system produced a top ten scoring, top three PP squad two seasons ago.

Old
12-30-2013, 12:40 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Not with the current lineup. He needs to learn to adjust the system when he doesn't have the same type of players. Without the core defense and the goalie of years past, the system will not produce anything but 3-5 wins out of every 10 games.

And for those saying that it will get better when Rinne is back, IMO I don't see it. I honestly feel that even with a 2 week conditioning stint in Milwaukee, Rinne will not be back to his prior self, and will play no different than the current goalie lineup. Next season is a different story with Rinne, but even with him on his A-game, I don't think he would have bought more than 4-5 more wins with the current team and system.

Old
12-30-2013, 01:04 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Not with the current lineup. He needs to learn to adjust the system when he doesn't have the same type of players. Without the core defense and the goalie of years past, the system will not produce anything but 3-5 wins out of every 10 games.

And for those saying that it will get better when Rinne is back, IMO I don't see it. I honestly feel that even with a 2 week conditioning stint in Milwaukee, Rinne will not be back to his prior self, and will play no different than the current goalie lineup. Next season is a different story with Rinne, but even with him on his A-game, I don't think he would have bought more than 4-5 more wins with the current team and system.
So ... it's not his system, it's the manpower?

Old
12-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Preds33

Quote:
So ... it's not his system, it's the manpower?
IMO kind of both. It's not the right system for this team, and the fact he doesn't see that and change things up is concerning to me. With the right team the system could work, but not with this team. The only adjustment that Trotz seems to make is line changes. This doesn't seem to help either because the players do not seem to be able to build chemistry with their linemates.

Going back to the Montreal game a couple of weeks ago, Nashville was down 3-0 after the first. I was listening to the radio coverage while at the game and it was said over the radio that the players were given the go ahead by Housley to go all in on offense. The result of that was a 20 shot, 2 goal period by Nashville. I don't understand why they do not try that more often.

Old
12-30-2013, 02:19 PM
MrJoshua

Quote:
Going back to the Montreal game a couple of weeks ago, Nashville was down 3-0 after the first. I was listening to the radio coverage while at the game and it was said over the radio that the players were given the go ahead by Housley to go all in on offense. The result of that was a 20 shot, 2 goal period by Nashville. I don't understand why they do not try that more often.
Probably because that usually results in giving up more goals than you score. It's something done out of desperation because you're already in a hole, but it's a long shot at best. It leads to mistakes, odd-man chances the other way, and good chances for the other team.

Old
12-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
Probably because that usually results in giving up more goals than you score. It's something done out of desperation because you're already in a hole, but it's a long shot at best. It leads to mistakes, odd-man chances the other way, and good chances for the other team.
Well at this point, the team should be in desperation mode if they want any hope on making the playoffs. Otherwise it shows they have already given up on this season, which seems to be the attitude of alot of the players. What is it going to hurt to try something different? They can't lose much more ground. They are ranked 12th/14 in the conference and 23rd/30 in the league.

Old
12-30-2013, 04:20 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It's not the same system. We're far more conservative now.

Old
12-30-2013, 04:26 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
It's not the same system. We're far more conservative now.
\
I don't think it's the same either.

I don't have hockey terms, but what I see is:

bounce off the side of the wall, don't pass to a player. don't make north south passes--- bounce off the wall and slow everybody down

multiple players converging on the same side and place until they are so close that there is no play in the offensive zone

D passing laterally multiple times before starting up the ice, even when no one is close

movement in the offensive zone grinding in the corner until everyone is jammed up and we lose the puck.

I don't know the right kind of terminology, but our offense changed when lambert arrived. I hate it

Old
12-31-2013, 02:05 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

would like to point out that Smith had 19 mins ice time in a game where we didn't have to kill many penalties.

Old
01-02-2014, 02:39 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Tell Me Everything There is to Know About Colin Wilson

I watched a fair bit of this kid when he was an amateur, but I'd really love to know more about his NHL story, thus far. What's the narrative? Where is he right now in terms of his game? How'd he get there and where do you think his game will go next? I'd really love to read some candid assessments from the fans that follow him the closest.

Thanks in advance, guys!

01-03-2014, 05:55 PM
predfan98

um.... we used to have a thread in the old nashville predators board where this should go. Enjoy
http://www.whatsupyasieve.com/2014/0...ay-roman-josi/

Closed Thread