HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stoll or Lombardi?

Old
01-15-2007, 10:48 PM
Oilerfan120582

vCash: 500
Stoll for sure. I've even seen some of the more reasonable Flames fans on this board admit that Stoll is the better player, though Lombardi is good as well.

Oilerfan120582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
Source?
That's definitely an exagerration, he was asking for top 15 money but Calgary wanted to give him mid 2nd round money.

Though "back then" the difference would have been much bigger than it is under the new CBA.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 12:00 AM
kruezer

I like Lombardi, solid player for sure, and I do believe his offensive potential is better than Todd Marchant's, I'd say its more like he can hit the 60 points that is by far Marchants career high with some regularity and be a solid 2nd line center.

That said, Stoll is excellent and I would definitely say he is the better player, and I think he will become the Oiler's number one center sooner rather than later unless they trade for someone else or a prospect steps up big time.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 12:42 AM
Danny__K

vCash: 50
For me Stoll is a guy i don't really notice out there but you look at his stats and poof he's almost at a PPG. Does a lot of the smaller less flashy things right.

While on the other hand, when Lombardi is out on the ice he's hard not to notice with his speed. Missing over a year due to the Hatcher elbow really hurt his development so i think he's a year or 2 behind where Stoll is right now. However, those who suggest he's not Stolls equal or if not better defensively need to give their head a shake, He's probably been the most defensively sound center on the flames this season(saying alot given Yelle Nilson and Langkow are on this team) and is pulling 1st line PK duty as well. You aren't 10th in the league at +19 with only 29 points if you're on for a lot of goals against.

It'll be interesting to see where these 2 are at in a couple seasons.

Danny__K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 12:57 AM
hemmingway

Stoll.

Lombardi is a good player - a more talented version of Todd Marchant (who is a really good NHL'er) - great speed - able to convert a percentage of the time. Having a great season this year - which, given that he's an RFA, is good for him. He will be looking at a raise from his $800,000 salary - perhaps, as many of the Flames fans are arguing, to the range of Jarret Stoll.

Stoll's $2,200,000.00/yr is a great deal for his faceoffs, defensive play, leadership, powerplay, and all around hockey sense. He makes the players around him better, and playing with Torres and Pisani, they have formed one of the Oilers most consistent lines.

Lombardi is showing exactly what you'd want him to. Great speed, good play, and converting his chances. Can't wait to see what his agent asks for.

hemmingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 08:59 AM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny__K View Post
For me Stoll is a guy i don't really notice out there but you look at his stats and poof he's almost at a PPG. Does a lot of the smaller less flashy things right.
I'm going to disagree with you here. He does do all the little things but he doesn't have Hemsky flash or Lombardi dash but he is very noticeable out there. He leads the team in hits, on the PP it is hard not to notice his booming shot. When he is on the PK you notice him winning big draws and blocking shots and 5x5 you see him creating chances.

I'm not trying to under mind you here or anything, but if you watch hockey for more then just the goals you will notice Stoll more then most other oiler forwards (which isn't saying much right now). He has lead this team since game one this year.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 09:09 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
[quote=hemigod;7677143]I am as big a fan of the Oil as their is, but am really curious as to how much we may overvalue ours.

Jarret Stoll ( my 2nd favorite Oiler) for Matt Lomabardi

would you do this deal?

I would not but am curious about the views of others[/quote

stoll is a better all around player

Stoll is better in his zone

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 10:45 AM
CaptainCrunch67

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman_88888888 View Post
easy answer: NOT A CHANCE!
lombardi has wheels and is only slightly better than marchant at scoring. he doesn't have any defensive knowledge and would not help our team on the powerplay either.
stoll doesn't have the wheels that lombardi does but has extraordinary leadership capabilities. he captained the ice to the mem cup and team canada to a silver medal.
stoll may not put up the offensive numbers that lombardi might one day but lombardi will never be the leader that stoll will be or have the intangibles stoll has.
I have no problems with saying that Stoll is the more complete player of the two, and a lot of that can be attributed to the delay in Lombardi's development, but to say a +16 player who's centered a line with Huselius and Kobasew dosen't have any defensive knowledge is nuts, combine that with the fact that Playfair has trusted his defensive zone coverage enough to put him out on penalty killing, and you get a picture of a player thats actually decent in his own end. He's scored 3 PP goals so he's not a total disaster on the PP. I think your completely under rating Lombarid here, and for all of Stoll's leadership abilities he certainly hasn't helped the Oilers in shaking off thier duldrums. I do agree that Lombo is probably never going to be Captain material, but because a guy Captain's his junior team, and a team canada dosen't really mean that he's the next Steve Yzerman.

I think a lot of people on this board are underrating Lombardi and slightly over rating Stoll.

CaptainCrunch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

I believe that Guy said that Lombardi wanted 1st round money as well and that's why we let him go back into the draft. It sure would've been nice to have both of these guys.

01-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch67 View Post
I think a lot of people on this board are underrating Lombardi and slightly over rating Stoll.
Stoll has been our best player for the past 2 months. IMO if anything our fans are underrating him. He hits, does well defensively, scores timely goals, he is a beast out there. Nothing against Lombardi, but Stoll has been incredible for us.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 08:57 PM
Hyped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
That's definitely an exagerration, he was asking for top 15 money but Calgary wanted to give him mid 2nd round money.

Though "back then" the difference would have been much bigger than it is under the new CBA.
Again, I've said this several times in the past, the true story has never come out in Calgary because they know they screwed that one up. Money wasn't really the big issue. The sides were pretty close in negotiations. It was the fact that Calgary management did not see Stoll providing more than a bottom six role and told him so. So he walked. Why would anyone want to stay with a team that was going to limit your opportunity? That's just piss poor management at the time...

Hyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Tyrolean

It's a wash. They are both equal and good at their respective games.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote