HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Dean Lombardi is no STIFF, Visnovsky will come at a HIGH price tag

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-16-2007, 05:40 PM
  #1
outKast*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,664
vCash: 500
Dean Lombardi is no STIFF, Visnovsky will come at a HIGH price tag

Not that i'm suggesting we should get Visnovsky, because I'd rather have at least 5-10 defensmen ahead of him, but if anyone on this board thinks dealing with L.A. is very smart... please look no further than their GM's latest trade.

To LA
Jack Johnson + Tverdovsky

To Carolina
Tim Gleason + Belanger

No offense to Gleason, but this may turn out to be an absolute massacre in 5 years. To get Johnson, i though the Oilers would have had to give up Smid and two 1st rounders. Lombardi got him with Gleason. Unbelievable.

Before we start offering up Bergeron and 2nd for Visnovsky, we have to consider who their GM is.

outKast* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 05:43 PM
  #2
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,197
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Eh, there's a lot of worry around JJ right now.

Mostly related to the idea he's not going to leave college, is going to stunt his development in doing so and may be an UFA before you ever even get close to seeing his best years.

LA also took a terrible contract in that deal, which has to be factored in as a 1st rounder given the market value that was received for SJ taking on a certain bad contract from NJ

Smid + 2 1st's for Visnovsky isn't happening.

Lupul for Visnovsky? That's a lot more possible. Schremp and a 1st? Equally possible. Smid and 2 1st's is practically the Pronger trade.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 05:47 PM
  #3
outKast*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Eh, there's a lot of worry around JJ right now.

Mostly related to the idea he's not going to leave college, is going to stunt his development in doing so and may be an UFA before you ever even get close to seeing his best years.

LA also took a terrible contract in that deal, which has to be factored in as a 1st rounder given the market value that was received for SJ taking on a certain bad contract from NJ

Smid + 2 1st's for Visnovsky isn't happening.

Lupul for Visnovsky? That's a lot more possible. Schremp and a 1st? Equally possible. Smid and 2 1st's is practically the Pronger trade.
Terrible contract? Absolutely! However, Tverdovsky has easily been one of the best defensemen in Los Angeles. In the long run, the pricey contract may not effect the organization. But, i do see where you're comming from. It's just that when i watch Jack Johnson at the WJC, i ask myself, what the hell was Carolina's GM thinking?

outKast* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 05:47 PM
  #4
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrafitch View Post
Not that i'm suggesting we should get Visnovsky, because I'd rather have at least 5-10 defensmen ahead of him, but if anyone on this board thinks dealing with L.A. is very smart... please look no further than their GM's latest trade.

To LA
Jack Johnson + Tverdovsky

To Carolina
Tim Gleason + Belanger

No offense to Gleason, but this may turn out to be an absolute massacre in 5 years. To get Johnson, i though the Oilers would have had to give up Smid and two 1st rounders. Lombardi got him with Gleason. Unbelievable.

Before we start offering up Bergeron and 2nd for Visnovsky, we have to consider who their GM is.

Three words: Brewer, Woywitka, Lynch.

Trust in KLowe.

A few more words: If LA are going to be sellers, they're gonna have to be actually selling things. KLowe isn't going to purchase anything thats worth more than he's willing to pay, as well as not mortaging the future.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 05:49 PM
  #5
outKast*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Three words: Brewer, Woywitka, Lynch.

In KLowe We Trust
lol

outKast* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 05:50 PM
  #6
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,165
vCash: 612
I couldn't handle Smid and 2 1st for Visnovsky, that's ridiculous.

I like Lupul and think he'll get better, however if he could get the Oilers Visnovsky, I would completely understand that.

Lombardi, the man who gave a contract extention to Dan Cloutier and got JJ for Tim FREAKING Gleason, he better watch himself if he thinks he's getting Pronger type return for Visnovsky.

OT: 5,000 posts

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 05:52 PM
  #7
outKast*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
OT: 5,000 posts
Congrats!!!!

outKast* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 05:59 PM
  #8
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrafitch View Post
Not that i'm suggesting we should get Visnovsky, because I'd rather have at least 5-10 defensmen ahead of him, but if anyone on this board thinks dealing with L.A. is very smart... please look no further than their GM's latest trade.

To LA
Jack Johnson + Tverdovsky

To Carolina
Tim Gleason + Belanger

No offense to Gleason, but this may turn out to be an absolute massacre in 5 years. To get Johnson, i though the Oilers would have had to give up Smid and two 1st rounders. Lombardi got him with Gleason. Unbelievable.

Before we start offering up Bergeron and 2nd for Visnovsky, we have to consider who their GM is.
first

Carolina was hard up to get a new D-man--they were pointed in the corner

Johnson is still unsigned for a reason

LA can wait

Canes couldn't

Oilers if they have to will wait

make sure you have all the facts on a trade before you try to use it for a comparison


give us another example

the Johnson trade is something special

__________________
trying to fend off exwife number 2
45000/010113
GO SHARKS GO

Last edited by Irish Blues: 01-16-2007 at 06:30 PM.
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 06:03 PM
  #9
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,165
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrafitch View Post
Congrats!!!!
Thank you kindly, you guys make it easy, because it's fun and interesting.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 06:05 PM
  #10
outKast*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Thank you kindly, you guys make it easy, because it's fun and interesting.
In the short time i've been here, it's been a blast. I could only imagine how much fun you've had in the past 3+ years.

outKast* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 06:28 PM
  #11
21Gator*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,123
vCash: 500
KLowe is no stiff either.

Visnovsky is only remotely probable, no matter how desirable it is to Oiler fans. And KLowe WONT overpay iso much that it kills the club. Klowe is setup for a real strong team in a couple years. Why jepordize that for this season? We still need to try and make the playoffs. The ability to add a guy is there at something reasonable if we start winning games, but I don't believe we would cannibalize the team for this season.

21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 06:32 PM
  #12
Beevatron2000
Registered User
 
Beevatron2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 624
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Beevatron2000
There doesn't seem to be a lot of D-men available at the moment, and I was supprised when the journal mention Visnovsky. I don't think it wise of the Kings to trade a guy like this, particularly when they are rebuilding. He's still relatively young, and he's putting up the points.


Last edited by Beevatron2000: 01-16-2007 at 06:37 PM. Reason: person's post was also edited
Beevatron2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 06:33 PM
  #13
outKast*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beevatron2000 View Post
Does anyone else think this guy is really rude?
right here.

this guy doesn't know me, and starts by calling me a nub and then tells me that i don't know anything. I did nothing to him to cause the behaviour

outKast* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 06:39 PM
  #14
21Gator*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,123
vCash: 500
Maybe it's because there are many threads like this and we don't need to be told who to offer up in proposals. Especially from those who haven't been around the block, so to speak.

Basically a bad thread to start (because it's useless). But Grav should have let it go. So this can fall to the bottom.

21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 06:42 PM
  #15
outKast*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Gator View Post
Maybe it's because there are many threads like this and we don't need to be told who to offer up in proposals. Especially from those who haven't been around the block, so to speak.

Basically a bad thread to start (because it's useless). But Grav should have let it go. So this can fall to the bottom.
Well gee i'm sorry SIR. You don't need to be told by someone who has less posts than you? No offense but that has to be dumbest things i've ever heard.

African Americans were thought to be animals and have less than human levels of I.Q. less than 100 years ago. Does assuming it make it right? No. Does assuming the fact that i am less intelligent than you based on the fact i have less posts make sense? No! What are you talking about?

outKast* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 06:50 PM
  #16
21Gator*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,123
vCash: 500
It's not the dumbest thing ever when you consider the amount of trolling and useless knowledge there is on HF (or any message board).

This is nothing to do with racism, so spare us that hyperbole.

There are like 50 Visnovsky threads, do a search.

I agree with your argument that Lombardi is no stiff, but that is for one of the previously mentioned threads.

Still, even if our best offer is too low, does that mean we should accept Lombardi's value of Vis? No. So again, spare us.

21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 06:54 PM
  #17
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrafitch View Post
Well gee i'm sorry SIR. You don't need to be told by someone who has less posts than you? No offense but that has to be dumbest things i've ever heard.
It's not the post count thats earns you forum cred, it's the join date.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 07:07 PM
  #18
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
It's not the post count thats earns you forum cred, it's the join date.

what gives you cred IMO

1)How often you come here and bring new and fresh ideas--not just rehashing old one

2)coming by for a visit once every blue moon

3)WHEN BRING OTHER TRADE TO THE TABLE--REMEMBERING ANY SPECIAL DETAILS AS TO WHY THE DEAL WAS DONE IN THE FIRST PLACE(IE--The Johnson deal from the Canes to the Kings--Canes were in trouble on a few different things and it was no accident that Tverdosky was also sent in the deal)

4)This board is one of the toughest and most active boards on HF and enless you spend sometime here and look around to see what is going on--you might just rehash ideas two discussions down or a discussion that was beat to death earlier. This board has teeth.

5)Very few people are innocent passer byes on this board anda few can name 90% of the nhl off the top of their head.

6)If a deal is dumb--it will be call dumb.

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 07:10 PM
  #19
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrafitch View Post
Not that i'm suggesting we should get Visnovsky, because I'd rather have at least 5-10 defensmen ahead of him, but if anyone on this board thinks dealing with L.A. is very smart... please look no further than their GM's latest trade.

To LA
Jack Johnson + Tverdovsky

To Carolina
Tim Gleason + Belanger

No offense to Gleason, but this may turn out to be an absolute massacre in 5 years. To get Johnson, i though the Oilers would have had to give up Smid and two 1st rounders. Lombardi got him with Gleason. Unbelievable.

Before we start offering up Bergeron and 2nd for Visnovsky, we have to consider who their GM is.
**********and this is the same GM that gave a second and 3rd rounder to Vancouver for Dan Cloutier and then resigned him?

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 08:02 PM
  #20
shawnmullin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Swift Current
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,172
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
I don't really give Dean credit for the deal as much as I'd blame Rutherford. Need a D or not, he should've got more for Johnson.

shawnmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 08:20 PM
  #21
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmullin View Post
I don't really give Dean credit for the deal as much as I'd blame Rutherford. Need a D or not, he should've got more for Johnson.
canes were down 3 d-men at the time and needed someone who could step into the lineup right away

Johnson made it clear he was going back to uni for the full pull(and good on him) and the canes were being "fill in blank" here with their percpective on things

the oilers are in the same spot now they were in at the start of the season--if they were going to give the ghost up to get a d-man--they would have already done it

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 09:50 PM
  #22
HOF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,460
vCash: 500
On the TEAM 1260 today, they said he's off the market now.

HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 11:29 PM
  #23
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShot_Scorer View Post
On the TEAM 1260 today, they said he's off the market now.

a few more games the entire LA team will be on the market

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.