HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread II

Old
12-19-2013, 04:12 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahrahguy View Post
Here's something that angers me...

When the other team has a huge lead with seconds remaining and some chump decides to take a giant slapper in an attempt to score one more goal. Relax bud... you guys won, it's beer league, no need to pad the stats...
Or another way it can work, I feel bad for the goalie when he's a minute away from a shutout and his own decide to go extra hard for one last goal and get extra aggressive in the offense zone. Then next thing you know he's facing a 3 on 1 with 20 seconds left

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 04:17 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
It seems that very few people want to play D. The good news is that you should get more ice time and your skating improves WAY faster than if you were a forward, because even beginner D men have to skate in both directions and make transitions. Beginner forwards don't have to but watch forwards in the NHL, they know how to skate backwards In fact, I would stand to wager that at the end of this season that you will be a better and more complete hockey player than another beginner who was put on a wing (given similar total training effort) .
After 5 years on the wing I'm playing my first season at defense but my skating isn't improving at all. Even though I'm playing at the lowest level at the moment, any time I'm facing a rush if I try to skate backwards and face the guy I get easily beaten. I've been trying to pick my spots, recognize if that guy isn't one of the ringers and maybe I can keep up with him, but it never works and usually seems to end up as a goal against. All I can do really is turn my back and skate forward, keeping them in the corner of my eye and make sure they stick to the outside. Which does actually work okay with me.

Old
12-19-2013, 04:24 AM
Fanned On It

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
I have a question for you guys. I play defense and in my league I guess you could consider me a Ringer. I pride my self on being able to move the puck up to my forwards extremely quickly, and have even been complimented as having a higher than normal Hockey IQ for playing in Beer leagues. A team-mate of mine suggested I should play in the B level league, and honestly I feel like that while I wouldn't be the best at it, I certainly wouldn't be the worse. I feel I would be about average needless to say. I just enjoyed playing on the same team that I started with 8 years ago. Literally half of the team remembers me when I first started to ice skate and was the worst player on their team. I don't shoot much, and I'm told constantly I should shoot more.

I have been best friends with the same guy since I was 6 years old, (I'm 27 now.) and he recently bought some goalie gear on the cheap and started to play pickup every Wednesday night. He is a beginner goaltender by every sense of the word, and while he is learning incredibly quickly, even faster than I thought he would. A D level team I subbed for. (I only really get on the offensive side of the ice is when my team is losing by 3, even now we are playing 500 hockey with me. I much more of a pass first guy, and if someone doesn't really have the skills to bury it, Then I don't really rack up points. Even though I consider myself an offensive defensemen.)

I nervous he is going to get lit up like a Christmas tree, but the D league team's goaltender is taking next season off so I got my buddy to fill in. Am I an D-bag for joining up with that team since I could theoretically hold my own in a league two level's higher? Even though it is to make up for my Buddy if he struggles like I predict?

Here is the stats in case you are wondering. Both teams I play Defense. I play on the Turkey Vultures D+ (that is the team with half of the guys I played with since I was 19 just learning how to ice skate.) and the Higherlanders is the team I sub for and will be joining my buddy on in the D league.

http://www.theicesportsforum.com/ind...=56&Itemid=121

So Am I a D-bag for joining?

My name is Steven Cote
You're not a "D-bag" per se but you are just being an extremely selfish hockey player. You've considered how you playing 2 levels below the level you should be playing at will affect the rest of the league yet it's not going to stop you from joining the team. From my experience, it's just NOT FUN to have a guy on either team that can step up in a 3 goal game and even the game up in 5 minutes all alone. I don't like having ringers on my team and I certainly don't like playing against them.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 08:01 AM
jazzykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
After 5 years on the wing I'm playing my first season at defense but my skating isn't improving at all. Even though I'm playing at the lowest level at the moment, any time I'm facing a rush if I try to skate backwards and face the guy I get easily beaten. I've been trying to pick my spots, recognize if that guy isn't one of the ringers and maybe I can keep up with him, but it never works and usually seems to end up as a goal against. All I can do really is turn my back and skate forward, keeping them in the corner of my eye and make sure they stick to the outside. Which does actually work okay with me.
I get burned plenty or I yield too much ice because my skating still sucks but it has gotten a lot better. Here are a few things that have helped me improve:

1. Clear out of the O zone a little sooner (don't wait for the opposition to be breaking out already, start immediately when they have clear possession, like before he can get his head up to pass...boom you've started skating backwards and have some speed up before the other forwards are even moving.)

2. In practice skate backwards as much as you can. Don't try the running start transition to backwards thing, just work on digging those edges in and getting some oomph into it.

3. Get low, then get lower. Your legs are going to hurt and so might the outsides of your feet.

4. Practice skating slowly in the learn to skate areas. Go backwards in a straight line, making C-cuts with just one foot. At first, it's not the speed you move your feet but how much thrust you can generate by pushing. Also, wear pads because if you're doing it hard you're gonna fall.

5. Watch high level hockey and look at what Pro D players do (I'm dead serious). You will get a sense of positioning and if you watch carefully will learn some very interesting things that you can incorporate into your game.

6. Just play hockey, thinking too much was killing me.

7. Pay for lessons and get the free advice of coaches, good players, etc. then pick a plan and stick with it.

Good luck, it will come...I promise.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Malarowski

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
You're not a "D-bag" per se but you are just being an extremely selfish hockey player. You've considered how you playing 2 levels below the level you should be playing at will affect the rest of the league yet it's not going to stop you from joining the team. From my experience, it's just NOT FUN to have a guy on either team that can step up in a 3 goal game and even the game up in 5 minutes all alone. I don't like having ringers on my team and I certainly don't like playing against them.
As long as you hold back and don't play at 100% and just walk through their team, I don't think anybody will have an issue with that. We have a few guys in the league like that and as long they stick to passing and enabling their team mates, nobody gets upset. We had one dude like that though that decided scoring 6 goals is fun against people who clearly are learning. Needless to say the cheap shots started soon after and the refs didn't mind. When asked to slow down a bit he told us that our guys simply need to step up and stop sucking. Very nice.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 09:55 AM
Ozz

Shoot, sometimes it's necessary to have a ringer. One of my lower division teams plays against a bunch of teams who play low all together. There's no way they can compete. Even with me we got blasted in the 2nd round of playoffs as the 7th seed (out of 10). Goalie is horrendous, defense is nowhere to be found, a couple players can hardly skate or if they can they can't stick handle or pass/receive. I can only walk a team so much so often in a game to save it myself. And it's not like I chose to play in that division myself, my friend runs the team and recruited me. The other guys rely on me to do what I do, they certainly don't think I'm taking anything away from them. If anything they're offering me extra shifts at times so I can hopefully get something going when no one else can.

That said, I can definitely understand situations where someone comes in unnecessarily as a ringer and blows things up with a team that's already decent or talented.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 09:59 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
The problem with ringers in lower divisions is the other guys on the team are never going to improve. There is more to playing hockey than hot potatoing a puck to the best guy in the league every time it touches your stick. That's not a team, that's a collection of players. I'd rather win and lose as a team.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 01:00 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
I get burned plenty or I yield too much ice because my skating still sucks but it has gotten a lot better. Here are a few things that have helped me improve:

1. Clear out of the O zone a little sooner (don't wait for the opposition to be breaking out already, start immediately when they have clear possession, like before he can get his head up to pass...boom you've started skating backwards and have some speed up before the other forwards are even moving.)

2. In practice skate backwards as much as you can. Don't try the running start transition to backwards thing, just work on digging those edges in and getting some oomph into it.

3. Get low, then get lower. Your legs are going to hurt and so might the outsides of your feet.

4. Practice skating slowly in the learn to skate areas. Go backwards in a straight line, making C-cuts with just one foot. At first, it's not the speed you move your feet but how much thrust you can generate by pushing. Also, wear pads because if you're doing it hard you're gonna fall.

5. Watch high level hockey and look at what Pro D players do (I'm dead serious). You will get a sense of positioning and if you watch carefully will learn some very interesting things that you can incorporate into your game.

6. Just play hockey, thinking too much was killing me.

7. Pay for lessons and get the free advice of coaches, good players, etc. then pick a plan and stick with it.

Good luck, it will come...I promise.
Oh I do all most of those things, even picking up and applying a thing or two from watching the Canucks play. I'm on a new league/div/team this season with lot's of beginners, so with 5 years of playing that makes me a something of a steady vet to put back on defense. I've got everything down to be a solid dman at this level, except for when I try skating backwards facing an opponent it usually turns into a disaster

What I really need is just some stick and puck time with someone who can go 1 on 1 with me the whole time.

Old
12-19-2013, 01:08 PM
rh71

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Oh I do all most of those things, even picking up and applying a thing or two from watching the Canucks play. I'm on a new league/div/team this season with lot's of beginners, so with 5 years of playing that makes me a something of a steady vet to put back on defense. I've got everything down to be a solid dman at this level, except for when I try skating backwards facing an opponent it usually turns into a disaster

What I really need is just some stick and puck time with someone who can go 1 on 1 with me the whole time.
I think gap control and angling them to keep them to the outside are your best bets, but in order to do that you'll have to improve your backwards speed and balance.

As a forward, I love when the D gives me a ton of room to keep advancing into the zone. The worst is when they leave me no room (and their stick out means a lot too) but are quick enough to keep up as I move.

rh71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
The problem with ringers in lower divisions is the other guys on the team are never going to improve. There is more to playing hockey than hot potatoing a puck to the best guy in the league every time it touches your stick. That's not a team, that's a collection of players. I'd rather win and lose as a team.
There are exceptions to how he's utilized, but usually I'd agree with you. First point is to try to help dictate plays but when a guy falls on his face just trying take a pass then you have to do something. Then there are other guys you can turn into PPG+ players because they can feed off of the ringer being the driving force for everything.

Old
12-19-2013, 02:10 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
There are exceptions to how he's utilized, but usually I'd agree with you. First point is to try to help dictate plays but when a guy falls on his face just trying take a pass then you have to do something. Then there are other guys you can turn into PPG+ players because they can feed off of the ringer being the driving force for everything.
After playing for 20 years I've found that I'm a lot happier playing with and against people at my skill level. I look at it as I've earned the right to not play with beginners, it can be very frustrating and I just enjoy playing hockey without them. Not a slight to beginners, we all started somewhere it's just I feel like I've been promoted and new guys need to earn their way up the ladder like the rest of us.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
As long as you hold back and don't play at 100% and just walk through their team, I don't think anybody will have an issue with that. We have a few guys in the league like that and as long they stick to passing and enabling their team mates, nobody gets upset. We had one dude like that though that decided scoring 6 goals is fun against people who clearly are learning. Needless to say the cheap shots started soon after and the refs didn't mind. When asked to slow down a bit he told us that our guys simply need to step up and stop sucking. Very nice.
Yeah I probably took all of 3 shots when I did sub with them, scoring on one chance when they were losing 4 to nothing. Mainly I just pass it around, and QB their powerplay, never taking a shot for my self. I think I only went a hundred percent a couple of times, one of which we were losing by three with less than a minute to go. (Lost that one by three goals.) the other they were losing 9 to 2 going into the second. Lost that game 10 to 8.

Yeah I have played in leagues where their would be a ringer on our team, and against other teams with Ringers. Its really no fun if the Ringer doesn't involve you in the play. Nothing is worse than showing up at the rink and watching a guy score 6 goals making it look easy while you only touch the puck twice all game long. I did my best so far to not repeat those results.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 07:49 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
After playing for 20 years I've found that I'm a lot happier playing with and against people at my skill level. I look at it as I've earned the right to not play with beginners, it can be very frustrating and I just enjoy playing hockey without them. Not a slight to beginners, we all started somewhere it's just I feel like I've been promoted and new guys need to earn their way up the ladder like the rest of us.
I wouldn't do it if they weren't my friends whom I never get to play with otherwise. There are people who play forever and never get much (if any) better though. Experience doesn't always guarantee obtaining talent for some though, at least not much to continuously jump divisions if ever.

Old
12-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

Played a game last night. We're a Div 10 team (of 10) in our league and the other team had two guys dressed last night that had never played a game for them, and literally skated circles around our team. They ended up winning 5 - 1, but could have easily won 10 - 1 or worse after they started taking it easy. They were doing all kinds of give and gos, passing, saucer passes, drop passes, etc. Made the rest of us look like ass.

Then the one guy (sporting his awesome hockey flow) deked through our whole team again and finally our defenceman hooked him and almost pulled him to the ice to get the puck away, but the ref didn't call it and so rec league all-star had a fit.

So annoying. I mean, I don't mind playing against better players than me because that's how you improve yourself, but why bring in two ringers like that to play in a Div 10 game? Just asinine. Every time those two were on the ice they just gave them the puck. Annoying.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 01:25 PM
MattGTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Played a game last night. We're a Div 10 team (of 10) in our league and the other team had two guys dressed last night that had never played a game for them, and literally skated circles around our team. They ended up winning 5 - 1, but could have easily won 10 - 1 or worse after they started taking it easy. They were doing all kinds of give and gos, passing, saucer passes, drop passes, etc. Made the rest of us look like ass.

Then the one guy (sporting his awesome hockey flow) deked through our whole team again and finally our defenceman hooked him and almost pulled him to the ice to get the puck away, but the ref didn't call it and so rec league all-star had a fit.

So annoying. I mean, I don't mind playing against better players than me because that's how you improve yourself, but why bring in two ringers like that to play in a Div 10 game? Just asinine. Every time those two were on the ice they just gave them the puck. Annoying.
Same exact thing happened to us last nght. We are in a "D" league right now, and there are only two teams. The rink literally just opened up for business, and there were only enough lower level guys to field two teams. Everyone who signed up was onboard though, because we just wanted to play, even if there were only two teams. We are all basically all in our 30's+, and rookies, or of minimal expierience.
The first 6 games were great, amazingly even games, and a lot of fun. Then last night, the other team has this guy that can just skate circles around all of us, and pretty much retain the puck at will. We were down one going into the 3rd, and this guy single handedly scored 3 goals at will in the 3rd.
What fun is that for anyone? I'm all for playing against better players to try and raise my game. This was just absurd though. It can't be any fun for the other team because he is taking ice time away from their regulars(they had 10 or 11 guys), and they aren't actually involved in any of the pivotal goal scoring. It certainly wasn't any fun for anyone on my team.
Its discouraging because the first 6 games were dead even. The two teams couldn't have been more evenly matched, and now it looks like that might be out the window becuse of this clown or whoever invited him.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 04:19 AM
Timomies

As a goalie, my opinion is that ringers are always bad. Even if they play D and never shoot the puck. They still affect to the game too much. Our team doesn't get good changes when he's playing and they still get goals when ringer dekes everyone and passes to a teammate who is waiting infront of the net to tap the puck to a empty net.

Our team is playing in a lowest division rec-hockey and we are last in the standings at the moment. We would have won more games but seems like every team has 1/2 players that played up to A- or B-juniors here in Finland. And one time there was this one player who was drafted by New York Rangers. He totally lit me up Losing to a team with no ringers I can accept and we need to improve. But if we are better team and one player decides the game, I get annoyed.

Timomies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 05:17 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianbk View Post
I play on the lowest of the low division beer league team. I started skating about a year, year and a half ago. I'm also in my 30s, so I'm not super young. I'm also a father to two young kids, so I don't necessarily want to get hurt as my body gets beat up enough already at home

I'm venting about playing teams with try-hards that are trying to replicate an NHL type experience in our beer league game.

Again, I'm new to playing hockey altogether (though I've watched the sport my entire life). My team put me on defense, which is an... interesting choice as I'm not nearly a very good skater.

My issue is playing against people who like to jostle in the front of the net like it's the NHL. Alright, I get that you want to try to screen the goalie. It's my job to not allow you to do that. I'm a smaller guy. You don't need to crosscheck me // ram me after the play because I'm actually very nicely trying to just lift your stick and lean on you a little bit.

Also love those teams that have like two / three skaters that should obviously be on a higher division team. Makes it super fun to play when you get the puck in the defensive zone, skate through everyone and score to make it 8-0.
Playing now almost 4 years, so no longer can be considered a beginner - and have achieved a decent skill level where the d-men now back off me not because they know I suck and will fumble the puck, but because I'll skate right around them or pass to someone's tape for an easy one if they attack me.

That said, I feel your frustration, and it's why I stopped playing beer league and only play open hockeys for the last few years. You get more ice time, your mistakes leading to goals are not going to be the end of the world, and its far more relaxed as you can work on your stick-handling a bit more than a game, where if you screw around and try to dangle but cough it up - someone is going the other way on a breakaway.

Part of me wishes I was back in beer league, as the jacka--es who could have skated thru my beginner league teams would land on their a-- if they tried that crap on me now. That's another thing experience playing gives you; you learn what is douchery and not to be tolerated.

Last edited by nystromshairstylist: 12-24-2013 at 05:48 PM.
nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 07:40 PM
SacredPetra

My biggest frustration is people drinking from my water bottle, especially if they just grab it without asking. I almost always have an extra clean one in the car, so if someone says "oops, I forgot a water bottle" I'm happy to run out to my car and grab one, but I don't share drinks. It may be germaphobic, but I don't want to get sick because someone else couldn't bother to bring water.

Last game I had a teammate grab my water bottle and drink from it right at the beginning of the first period. I was sitting next to her so I told her when she grabbed it that she had the wrong water bottle, but she just looked at me and drank from it anyways so I had no water the whole game. I don't ever see this teammate except when we're playing games, so I don't have a chance totalk to her about it. I wouldn't do this because it's probably a d-bag move, but the not-so-nice side of me really wants to leave the cap mostly unscrewed next game.

SacredPetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Stickchecked

I'm with you on the water bottle. So annoying.

I don't get how someone goes to an athletic event and doesn't bring water. Aside from drinking at the bench, you need to drink before and after the game.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 07:58 PM
Doctor No
Retired

I don't bring my own water any more - playing in college, I used to lose a lot of weight (mainly because of the arena lights) but now it's more of a bother. I'm also of the somewhat silly opinion that if we have water on top of our nets, we should be allowed to have snacks as well.

One way to keep people out of your water? When I carried water, my water was about one-third lemon juice (I like the taste). People would drink from my bottle, but not usually twice.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 08:16 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredPetra View Post
My biggest frustration is people drinking from my water bottle, especially if they just grab it without asking. I almost always have an extra clean one in the car, so if someone says "oops, I forgot a water bottle" I'm happy to run out to my car and grab one, but I don't share drinks. It may be germaphobic, but I don't want to get sick because someone else couldn't bother to bring water.

Last game I had a teammate grab my water bottle and drink from it right at the beginning of the first period. I was sitting next to her so I told her when she grabbed it that she had the wrong water bottle, but she just looked at me and drank from it anyways so I had no water the whole game. I don't ever see this teammate except when we're playing games, so I don't have a chance totalk to her about it. I wouldn't do this because it's probably a d-bag move, but the not-so-nice side of me really wants to leave the cap mostly unscrewed next game.
bring a bottle of water, not a water bottle to your games. most people wont use a bottle that they know people put their lips on.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 08:27 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredPetra View Post

Tell your team that because of a medical condition, you have to dilute your water with some anti-biotic medicine. It doesn't change the flavor but will give someone who isn't supposed to be on the meds the runs. Nobody will ever drink from your bottle again.

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 09:00 PM
SacredPetra

Having put my lips on the bottle already didn't stop her, but I think I'll try the lemon juice next game (I think it sounds good, I hate water generally). I understand forgetting to bring a water bottle, I don't understand just grabbing whatever water bottle is closest without asking.

SacredPetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Canadiens1958

Water Bottle Solution

The following works. Individual player water bottles identified with the player's name and team water bottles identified by the team name and contents - water, sports drink, etc.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 09:41 PM
Ozz

I don't care that people grab my water, but I do care if they drink a ton and don't run to fill it up. It's a squirt bottle so no one puts their sweat on the top, and I don't worry about their hands on the bottle itself. I shake hands w/everyone on the team after the game w/o a mitt so chances are I'd catch more there than someone holding my water bottle :p