HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban needs to play like Campbell

Old
12-29-2013, 06:28 PM
vfactor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I would agree normally in the case of a role player. But I think they want him to be the #1 guy. And in the NHL that means you have to be good at everything. Pick your spots, so-to-speak.
I never saw Subban as a liability even when he rushed as a mad man and dangle around the other team defense at the beginning of the year. Yes, he made mistakes and cost us a few goals but his offensive instinct brought in a lot more. At that time, at every presence, Subban created something, it was truly special to watch.

Right now, Subban is a solid #1 who still makes mistakes here and there but he's no longer a threat.

I said at the beginning of the year, in my mind, Subban is better than Doughty. It's not true anymore if you watch both play today. Doughty didn't really improve. Subban is just not the same player a few months ago

vfactor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfactor View Post
I never saw Subban as a liability even when he rushed as a mad man and dangle around the other team defense at the beginning of the year. Yes, he made mistakes and cost us a few goals but his offensive instinct brought in a lot more. At that time, at every presence, Subban created something, it was truly special to watch.

Right now, Subban is a solid #1 who still makes mistakes here and there but he's no longer a threat.

I said at the beginning of the year, in my mind, Subban is better than Doughty. It's not true anymore if you watch both play today. Doughty didn't really improve. Subban is just not the same player a few months ago
Yeah no doubt. I can't disagree with that.

But I still think that Subban has to take on some of that responsibility. It's not all MT's fault. Pretty sure most NHL coaches would have done the same.

I think Subban can refine his game and yet still keep that uniqueness. If that makes sense.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Lebowski
In Price We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfactor View Post

I refuse to believe that it's Subban himself that "regressed". He's just on a tight leash, and he doesn't have the freedom to play the game he is the best at.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 06:31 PM
Aceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Subban cant go for it. If he does the coach will play him 18min/game or bench him
Pretty much

Aceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 06:39 PM
sheed36

Subban doesn't hit anymore either. I can't remember the last time he crushed someone with a nice hit. I want the Norris trophy winning PK Subban we saw last season and at the beginning of this season back.. If this change in Subban's game is because of the coaching staff they can all just **** right off.

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 06:40 PM
vfactor

Quote:
Yeah no doubt. I can't disagree with that.

But I still think that Subban has to take on some of that responsibility. It's not all MT's fault. Pretty sure most NHL coaches would have done the same.

I think Subban can refine his game and yet still keep that uniqueness. If that makes sense.
Actually, Subban as a team player, unless he wants to be a head case, will do his best to play the way his coach wants him to play. It's the coach responsibility to 'develop' his players to reach the best of their potential.

Each coach probably has his own ideas of how a 'perfect' player should be and how a 'perfect' team should play. I don't think MT as a person has anything against Subban. I just don't buy into his vision of hockey. It's not only Subban, other players worry me as well. As a team or a collection of individuals, Habs is not progressing.

vfactor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 06:41 PM
Fire Everyone
Especially you

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Subban doesn't hit anymore either. I can't remember the last time he crushed someone with a nice hit. I want the Norris trophy winning PK Subban we saw last season and at the beginning of this season back.. If this change in Subban's game is because of the coaching staff they can all just **** right off.
I'm actually glad that he's not trying that terrible hit much anymore. He missed and took himself out of the play on most of his attempts.

Fire Everyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 06:44 PM
Draft

I'm sure Subban would love to play balls-out hockey all-game every game. I don't think it's his decision.

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Spearmint Rhino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
Not with the style of play that Therrien wants the team to play.

This grinding team isn't scoring goals.
Therrien should maybe have told MB what type of game he wants the team to play, wanting the current Habs to be a grinding team is like the 'smrt' kid in kindergarten trying to put the round peg in the square hole...

Theres no doubt there's a leash on PK and he's toned it down trying to make Team Canada but you could see his frustration with his forwards today when he ended up behind the Panther net

Spearmint Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 06:52 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
I'm actually glad that he's not trying that terrible hit much anymore. He missed and took himself out of the play on most of his attempts.
It's not just about going for the big hit.. He just doesn't seem to be hitting much this year overall.

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 06:59 PM
ottawa

vCash: 69
What a God awful thread :

12-29-2013, 07:11 PM
habscup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
What a God awful thread :
Say something productive or get out of my thread. This is a serious thread and I will not let you derail it with your bobble heads and insults.

habscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 07:13 PM
ottawa

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by habscup View Post
Say something productive or get out of my thread. This is a serious thread and I will not let you derail it with your bobble heads and insults.

Ok well here's a productive question for YOUR thread...do you think PK chooses to play the way he does right now? Or do you think someone else is directing his playing style?

After you give your answer, can you put '/thread' on the line below it?

ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 07:20 PM
habscup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Ok well here's a productive question for YOUR thread...do you think PK chooses to play the way he does right now? Or do you think someone else is directing his playing style?

After you give your answer, can you put '/thread' on the line below it?
I already answered that question. Please read my thread entirely before criticizing it.

habscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 07:21 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I'm sure Subban would love to play balls-out hockey all-game every game. I don't think it's his decision.
He could ask to be traded to Edmonton.

The coaches (with maybe the exception of RC) have had a tight leash on PK and it's the right thing to do. Watching what happens to other teams that let their players run around, we'd just get barbecued if we let our players run all over the place. How far has it gotten Winnipeg?

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 07:25 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
He could ask to be traded to Edmonton.

The coaches (with maybe the exception of RC) have had a tight leash on PK and it's the right thing to do. Watching what happens to other teams that let their players run around, we'd just get barbecued if we let our players run all over the place. How far has it gotten Winnipeg?
By no means am I condoning playing like that, I'm just saying there are reasons outside of Subban's control that are keeping him from playing all offence, all the time.

He'd do well to find a better balance though.

Old
12-29-2013, 07:25 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
I refuse to believe that it's Subban himself that "regressed". He's just on a tight leash, and he doesn't have the freedom to play the game he is the best at.
Subban has not regressed.

Other teams have adapted and adjusted their strategy to play against Subban.

Too bad that Therrien cannot adjust like other coaches do.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 07:30 PM
rafal majka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Subban has not regressed.

Other teams have adapted and adjusted their strategy to play against Subban.

Too bad that Therrien cannot adjust like other coaches do.
Which is why Pittsburgh got rid of him.

rafal majka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 07:33 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
Which is why Pittsburgh got rid of him.
Which is why we got rid of Claude Julien.

Old
12-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
By no means am I condoning playing like that, I'm just saying there are reasons outside of Subban's control that are keeping him from playing all offence, all the time.

He'd do well to find a better balance though.
It's a two-way street. The smarter Subban is about making the decision when to go or not go the more freedom he'll get as the coaches gain more confidence in him.

I'd be curious about what and when the coaches sit down and have a chat with Markov because I've always felt he just does whatever he wants out there.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 07:35 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Which is why we got rid of Claude Julien.
Julien finally got smart and surrounded himself with two brilliant assistant coaches.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Julien finally got smart and surrounded himself with two brilliant assistant coaches.
Right....

So it's the assistant coaches that are the problem now?

I thought every single one of your posts was fire the coach. But now it's that he has the wrong assistants too? Nice twist to your rethoric I have to say.

Old
12-29-2013, 07:40 PM
Draft

Quote:
It's a two-way street. The smarter Subban is about making the decision when to go or not go the more freedom he'll get as the coaches gain more confidence in him.

I'd be curious about what and when the coaches sit down and have a chat with Markov because I've always felt he just does whatever he wants out there.
Yeah, it's all related and sooner or later he'll get it right IMO. Will he get Therrien's trust is another matter.

But really, Markov standing still, stick handling, and two-feet from the crease in the 3rd period as the forechecker comes at him..... WTF is he thinking some times? He had as bad of a game as Emelin did.

Old
12-29-2013, 08:00 PM
Winter Eclipse

Quote:
Yeah, hopefully our Norris Trophy winner can take baby steps, improving little by little, until he's learned his position well enough to earn Therrien's trust and be allowed to play his game

Winter Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Pricenyuk
Transition Year Baby

vCash: 310
P.K Subban needs to play like P.K Subban. The real Subban, not this ******** conservative garbage that Therrien has him playing. Players are at their best when they can play their game and do the things that make them successful. Talk about an ill suited system for this team.

Pricenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote