HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predator Prospect Updates

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2007, 11:52 AM
SmokeyClause

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
the scary thing is that Laakso and his agent might feel he would get a far better chance to play in the NHL sooner if he did not sign with Nashville; their great depth of young D could work against them here.
A team like Detroit, with older dmen Chelios, Schneider and Lidstrom would have more room for him.
That's a possibilty. Of course, Nashville has a great track record of developing defensemen. And Laakso probably knows he's not NHL ready. Worst case scenario for Laakso (assuming he warrants an NHL roster spot) is that he gets traded to a team that needs him.

Old
01-02-2007, 04:17 PM
Panopticon

Laakso's WJC is over (I think). Doubled his PIM totals in the USA game (which was one of his better defensive efforts in the tournament until the end).

Other players (and the coach) on his team started taking frustration penalties and they even got a 5+20 for an accidental high stick and they were basically playing the game shorthanded for the last 3 minutes of the game.

Laakso then took a slashing penalty and after Jack Johnson scored the 6-3 goal on the 5 on 3 PP, Laakso broke his stick in the penalty box and threw it on the ice. He first got a misconduct but then he started yelling at the referee and got himself a game misconduct (for abusing the officials) and will not be playing in the placement game. I might be wrong though, but I think that the game misconduct now and the misconduct in the first game mean he's banned for one game.

Stupid, yes, but the guy played one of his better games and looked enthusiastic and he was probably really frustrated that the game (and at the same time, pretty much the whole tournament for him) was decided like that (on 5-3 PPs).

Old
01-03-2007, 01:47 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

dont worry. we've had players with emotion in the past. we have a way of fixing that, we call them out publically in the newspaper, cut their icetime, and eventually they develop that calm, greg johnsonian demeanor we desire

Old
01-03-2007, 02:26 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
dont worry. we've had players with emotion in the past. we have a way of fixing that, we call them out publically in the newspaper, cut their icetime, and eventually they develop that calm, greg johnsonian demeanor we desire
I'm not worried. He hardly displays any emotion at all when playing with adults

His temper/attitude problems are mostly displayed in juniors where it seems to always surprise him that he can't play as hard and as dirty as he plays in the SM-liiga.

I guess it also has something to do with the expectations that are placed on him whenever he plays in the juniors. He's often really hard on himself even after smaller mistakes so it does not surprise me that he overreacted in that situation.

Although he has a bad habit of taking stupid and pointless slashing penalties as well (even in the SM-liiga). That's something someone should squeeze out of him.

Old
01-03-2007, 11:51 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Parent & Franson advance to the WJHC Final

Old
01-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=9366

Quote:
One tournament that seems to get very little press is the Toyota UConn Holiday Classic. This year’s tournament featured host UConn along with invitees Colgate, Holy Cross and Northeastern. The tournament featured only three NHL prospects (with Northeastern being without the services of senior Mike Morris (NJ)) in Northeastern sophomore Joe Vitale (PIT) and Colgate junior goaltender Mark Dekanich (NSH) and freshman David McIntyre (DAL). Of the three, it would be Dekanich who would steal the show. The Nashville Predators prospect was outstanding in goal as he stopped a combined 62 of 65 shots in Colgate’s sweep of Northeastern and UConn to earn the tournament MVP honor and lead the Raiders to capture the tournament championship
Does anyone know anything about Dekanich?

Old
01-08-2007, 09:05 AM
Panopticon

Here's a little article/interview on Laakso:

http://www.jatkoaika.com/smliiga.php...lumnit&id=5649

Of course, it's in Finnish so I'll translate (straight translation, might sound funny) the key points and if you want other parts translated just ask:

Quote:
- The last game left a bad taste, but if you count all the games together the tournament (WJC) was OK, says Laakso.

- Some games went well, others a bit not so well. I'm still happy with the tournament on a personal level.

Laakso doesn't have much excuses for his penalties.

- I played on the edge and it shows in the penalty totals. Sometimes there were weaker calls and sometimes you could play really hard (and not get a penalty).

Finlands best players were selected by the national teams coaching staff among the three best players on his team. Finland's best 3 in this tournament were Mikko Lehtonen, Oskar Osala and Teemu Laakso, who was a bit surprised by his selection.

- I think it's great. When I heard the first two names I was sure they would just call the whole first line.

It was Laakso's third tournament. As a 17-year-old he was just there to gain experience, last year he was already a key player on his team and this year his role was even bigger.

- I had a more offensive, puck carrying role. I had even more ice time and responsibilities than last year, Laakso says.
Quote:
Laakso has also gotten more ice time in the SM-liiga this year. Mostly due to injuries Laakso has even had a lot of PP time.

- I've been getting more ice time in the league as well. That's of course a good thing and helped me to get ready for this tournament.
There's false information there. Laakso hasn't actually gotten that much PP time at all.
Quote:
At some point the direction should be the NHL and the Nashville Predators. Laakso was drafter in the summer of 2005, so his rights will expire in the coming spring, if a a contract with the country city team isn't signed. At least the contact with the Predators has been OK.

- We've been in contact a couple of times during the tournament. We'll see what the future brings. Can't be sure of anything just yet, the defender smiles mysteriously.

The Predators already have many defensemen born in the 80s. The team also had two defenders from this years U20 WJC Team Canada. Laakso says that the amount of defenders in the NHL-organization doesn't scare him, but makes him think a little.

- Of course you have to think what is the best place for your developement. On the other hand, they have a young defense, so what better place to challenge for a spot, he laughs.
I think the last comment means more like "I'm taking it as a challenge" than anything else.

In the end there were some comments from Team Finland's assistant coach Petri Matikainen:

Quote:
- Teemu has the tools to be a good/great all-around defenseman. He's developing every year and he will play in the NHL some day, Matikainen believes
That good/great part: He actually used the word "big", but I don't think he meant physically big.

Last edited by Panopticon: 01-08-2007 at 09:13 AM.
Old
01-08-2007, 12:43 PM
ladypredator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=9366

Does anyone know anything about Dekanich?
Good-sized goaltender at 6'2'', 200 pounds; athletic with quick reflexes and a knack for positioning himself well.

Colgate has struggled at times this season, not scoring much and giving up a lot of shots on their net, but Dekanich has kept them in games and on occasion has even stolen a game for them. Last year, in his sophomore year, he won the Ken Dryden Award as the ECACHL Goaltender of the Year. So far this year as a junior, he's 9-9-2 with a .916 SV% and a 2.55 GAA which is really good considering the erratic play of the team in front of him. For example, on November 18, he set a career-high for number of saves in a game, making 49 saves on 51 shots in a 4-2 win over Princeton. It's been like that a lot this season - other examples: he made 38 saves at Quinnipiac on November 17; made 44 saves at Brown on November 4; made 38 saves at St. Cloud State on December 8... etc. Colgate just gives up too many shots to their opponents, but Dex has done an excellent job handling the barrage.

He's made the ECACHL Weekly Honor Roll at least twice this season and was named the ECACHL Goaltender of the Week on Jan 2nd (probably in recognition of the MVP award).

Dex should be an excellent goaltending prospect for the Predators. He could prove to be a steal as a 5th round draft pick.

Old
01-08-2007, 12:50 PM
ladypredator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Predators power forward prospect Ryan Maki of Havard is playing in the Great Lakes Invitational third-place game on FSN Detroit right now for anyone interested.

Maki is a Michigan native and had a goal and an assist in last night's loss.

Predators goalie prospect Mark Dekanich of Colgate is backstopping the Red Raiders in the UConn Holiday Classic championship game against UConn tonight too. Sorry, no TV for that contest.

I'm sure there are more prospects playing in tournaments this weekend outside of the WJC's, but...these are the ones that caught my attention right now.
I was able to watch the Harvard/Michigan State game (thank you DirecTV) which Harvard lost, but as you said, Maki had an excellent game. Scored a goal and an assist - was very much responsible for both of Harvard's goals.

On the first goal, he back-handed the puck from just outside the crease, a blind back-hand and the puck bounced off the goalpost and into the crease where one of his teammates easily poked it into the net.

On his goal, on the power-play, he was just the right of the goaltender and when one of his teammates took a shot from the point, Maki got the rebound and just kept at it until he got the puck through the Mich State goaltender. He reminds me a lot of Scott Hartnell - has the same size and presence on the ice and likes to camp out in front of the net on the power-play. He can also throw a punishing hit.

They interviewed him during the first intermission and he's very articulate. Not too surprising since he's a senior at Harvard. Got to be some brains there.

Another prospect who has been doing well lately is Minnesota's Ryan Flynn. This past weekend, he had 1 goal and 2 assists in two games. He's another big, strong winger. A freshman, but he seems to be settling in well with Minnesota and given that they're #1 in the NCAA right now, that's a really good sign.

Last edited by ladypredator: 01-08-2007 at 12:59 PM.
Old
01-11-2007, 10:45 AM
ladypredator

A quick note... last night, Viktor Sjodin got his first shootout goal as a WHL player. Portland actually won a game. Sjodin and Hotson scored in the shootout to give them a rare win.

Portland's in a "rebuilding" year, which basically means that they're trading away their top players and gathering draft picks. The upside for Sjodin is that he's getting opportunities he wouldn't otherwise get as a rookie in the WHL, like getting a shootout chance last night. Glad to see him take advantage of the opportunity and convert the attempt.

Old
01-12-2007, 05:11 AM
Panopticon

Laakso continues his injury collecting ways. This time it's the knee. Don't know how bad it is though, probably not too bad, but still...

He already has a nice collection for his age... knee, ankle, shoulder, groin... and I was just thinking how positively injury free he's been for over a year now...

He also broke a rib at the WJC (I think it's his third shot-blocking injury this season, but I'm not sure if it was from blocking a shot, though... just a somewhat educated guess).

Old
01-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Chootoi

blake geoffrion should be back in the lineup and also ryan flinn in the minnesota/wisconsin game tonight at 8:00 EST. it's free to watch. you can get the link to the game here under today's date:

http://www.hockeywebcasts.com/news/20070108.php

the game is being replayed pretty much all night so you can watch it later if you miss it live. broadcast times are in that article.

Old
01-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi View Post
blake geoffrion should be back in the lineup and also ryan flinn in the minnesota/wisconsin game tonight at 8:00 EST. it's free to watch. you can get the link to the game here under today's date:

the game is being replayed pretty much all night so you can watch it later if you miss it live. broadcast times are in that article.
FYI, it is also available on CSTV twice this evening after the Predators game. They are replaying the game in full coverage at 10:30 PM CST and 1:30 AM CST. In addition FSN North and CSTV are broadcasting the game live at 7:00 PM CST, but all of you should be either at the HOP or watching the Predators I assume.

Also on this evening is the Maine-Boston University Hockey East matchup on Sports New York beginning at 6:30 PM CST and I believe the game will also be carried live on NESN at the same time although NESN is listed as "To Be Announced" currently.

Predators prospect defenseman Kevin Schaeffer has been back in the lineup for BU for about two weeks now after recovering from his injuries in a street assault about a month ago

Old
01-13-2007, 01:41 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Just to update the situation with Ryan Parent. Dispite many rumors throughout the OHL, Parent remains with the Storm and now that the trading deadline has passed...Ryan will finish out the season and presumably his junior career as the captain of the Guelph Storm.

The Storm are not expected to advance to the Memorial Cup playoffs so expect to see Parent in Milwaukee by the end of the season.

Old
01-14-2007, 02:23 PM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi View Post

Took in the UW/UM action this weekend, kept an eye on a number of players, most of which Pred's fans probably won't care too much about. However, Jack Skille is a Blackhawks prospect, doesn't have the numbers, but an excellent player none-the less. Dave Legwand-type - fast but, not quite the two-way capability - however, he is only in college so far.

Anyway, Geoffrion is the guy most here are interested in. I continue to praise his ability to play in traffic and grit it out in front of the net even notched a matched-up roughing penalty (again) for a nice skirmish after a play - he doesn't take much **** on the ice. What I did notice for much of the series with the Gophers was his poor play in the corners. He didn't win many battles, if he chose to get into them in the corners. He has decent size, can stay on his skates, and fights his way in the slot, but his forechecking needs work, he lacks the aggresiveness in the corners. He had the opportunity to take some shots also. Not a bad shot, he got a few solid ones off, and fairly quickly for a college player. He even took a few crucial faceoffs, he and Skille were winning some against Okposo during the third period last night.

Old
01-17-2007, 01:08 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroSennin View Post
Laakso continues his injury collecting ways. This time it's the knee. Don't know how bad it is though, probably not too bad, but still...

I jumped the gun a bit there, he only missed one game. So, nothing serious.

Old
01-17-2007, 12:24 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroSennin View Post
I jumped the gun a bit there, he only missed one game. So, nothing serious.
Whew! You had me worried. Another serious injury would probably destroy Laakso's stock as a prospect.

01-19-2007, 06:46 AM
Hockeymind

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...67749605961154
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...56381015806190
Check out video clips of Viktor Sjödin

Old
01-20-2007, 05:17 PM
handtrick

Great Geoffrion video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt6bE53mz0E

Old
01-22-2007, 01:53 AM
Panopticon

In case you guys haven't read the Finnish WJC review here, it had a pretty good report on Laakso that I pretty much agreed with.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9393

Quote:
#2 Teemu Laakso, D - drafted by Nashville

A third-year WJC player, Laakso was the undisputed leader of the defense. He didn't go without defensive mistakes on the ice but had few of them compared to his icetime. The most important point about Laakso's game was that he stayed inside the play at all times and never panicked, feeling comfortable with the flow of the game and often staying one step ahead of the opposition. He has a versatile if not that agile shot, which was used successfully thrice. However, the puck wasn't played to him very often on power play, leaving his ability reliatively unused.

What Laakso did over the course of his shifts was still largely overshadowed by what all too often ended them. The face of Finland's problems with penalties, Laakso led the tournament with 11 minors in just six games. A personal misconduct plus one game misconduct propelled him to a landslide victory in PIM among all players. At times Finland paid dearly for his rule violations. A rough estimate would be that if all Finns took as many penalties per time on ice and the opponents averaged a rather mediocre power play efficiency, the team would have allowed four power play goals per game. Even assuming that the opponents were shut out on even strength at all times (which does have some truth to it for Laakso's part), these fairly optimistic presumptions lead to the conclusion that, in terms of results, Laakso would make an average member of a very bad and unsuccessful team defense. A couple of his penalties were questionable calls, but he never tried to adapt to the situation and took penalties also due to deficient discipline.

The most relevant question is, of course, what Laakso's performance means in the future. Back home he has only a small problem with penalties, and with stronger players taking the grinding in the NHL, his play wouldn't likely be detrimental there. As for other, more relevant abilities, Laakso showed poise that he could display proudly on higher levels. All in all, on the ice Laakso looked star-like in the tournament, such was his ability to read the game.

More recent happenings with Laakso:

Since his return from his apparently minor injury, Laakso has been playing really well. He's been drawing penalties instead of taking them and overall has been much more active in all three zones even delivering great hits now (which he hasn't done much in the SM-liiga before even though that was considered to be one of his trademarks before he made the jump from juniors...). I suspect we can thank their new head coach Paul Baxter for that.

He hasn't gotten any points yet, after returning from the WJC, but it hasn't always been up to him. Afterall, scoring has been the biggest problem for the whole team. And he still doesn't get any PP time, even if the game is already pretty much over, which I really don't understand considering the fact that his shot is one of his strongest points and it's not like the regular guys on the PP are really doing that much out there.

Old
01-23-2007, 10:43 AM
Garl

Patric Hornqvist scored 2 goals yesterday, now he has 17 goals 7 assists 24 points in 37 games. That's amazing for 19 year old.

Old
01-23-2007, 11:05 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Patric Hornqvist scored 2 goals yesterday, now he has 17 goals 7 assists 24 points in 37 games. That's amazing for 19 year old.
It really is. He's got a great chance of breaking the 20 goal barrier with 12 games to go. That is really fantastic stuff for a junior player. As a comparison, the other junior players who have managed that feat were Kent Nilsson, Peter Forsberg, Markus Näslund, Daniel Sedin and Thomas Sandström. Pretty good company..

Old
02-01-2007, 03:51 AM
Garl

Patric Hornqvist is selected to Team Sweden's roster for Swedish hockey games.

Old
02-01-2007, 04:05 AM
matys

Nashville´s procpect Mike Santorelli has a very good season in NCAA:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9420

Wildcats' Santorelli clawing his way up

Northern Michigan junior and Nashville Predators prospect Mike Santorelli has become a one-man wrecking crew on the Wildcats score sheet this year. He leads Northern Michigan in virtually every statistical category including points (40), goals (25), power play goals (7) and plus/minus (+8). To get an idea of just how valuable Santorelli has been to his team: the Wildcats, who have struggled offensively this season, current rank 50th in the nation in goals scored, averaging 2.47 goals per game with a grand total of 74 goals scored. Of those 74 goals, Santorelli has scored one-third of them, and of the Wildcats 199 points scored, he has accounted for one-fifth of them. He has points in 23 of Northern Michigan's 30 games and has not been held pointless in back-to-back games this season.

Nationally, Santorelli has gradually moved up the top scorers list. He currently ranks eighth in scoring with 40 points (25 goals, 15 assists). He is tied for 15th in points per game (1.33) and second in goals per game (0.83). His four short-handed tallies lead the nation while his 25 goals and five game-winners are both tied for second.

Santorelli has earned two CCHA Player of the Week honors, the most recent of which came on Jan. 22. Not surprisingly, Santorelli is also garnering quite a bit of interest for the Hobey Baker Award.

Old
02-01-2007, 12:03 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Santorelli is one of our underrated, forgotten prospects. That could be that since he's a college player and would have to pay his own way, he's not at most of the camps. Hopefully that changes, when he graduates, I think he'd be a good guy to have in Milwaukee, and go from there. Is he a senior, now?

Closed Thread