HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Spring Breakers

Old
07-09-2013, 09:05 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
I am reminded of Kids and Bully.
I can see the influence of Larry Clark in this one.
The director of Spring Breakers, Harmony Korine, wrote Kids.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:47 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
I am reminded of Kids and Bully.
I can see the influence of Larry Clark in this one.

The neon colour scheme...
It is really pretty to look at...
And very different because all the other films have the colour drained...
But it gets annoying after a while.

The film is definitely not for everyone.
Right now...
I have no idea what I just watched.
There is something there...
But it is overshadowed up by the colour and the camera work.
This is one of the very few times...
That I want to re-watch a film...
Just to get a better sense of it.
I feel like I just read the worst poem ever written

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 04:39 PM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
I feel like I just read the worst poem ever written
It is a work in progress.
Some are better than others.

nameless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:26 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Just watched this after reading this thread. Thought it would be terrible. Wasnt that bad actually.

Don't like Franco but I thought he was great in this.

All the colors were giving me a headache though

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:06 AM
aleshemsky83

This movie was rancid garbage. Period.

aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Jussi
Dat Times Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Just watched this after reading this thread. Thought it would be terrible. Wasnt that bad actually.

Don't like Franco but I thought he was great in this.

All the colors were giving me a headache though
Yeah, I thought it was annoying a little but I soon started realizing their purpose. Though not quite to the extent as that link about the symbolism explained.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:39 PM

I thought it was brilliant. I really refer back to the line ''let's pretend we're in a video game'' before they rob the restaurant place to explain most of the movie. The girls wanted to get away, and they did, yet all they did was actually the same as what they were doing back in college (drinking, smoking and doing drugs). But they were pretending like it was just a game (notice at the end when they shoot everyone near the gangster's house how they're totally uncovered for and just walk in like a video game).

Funny how the Selena Gomes character is one that says she wants to stay forever in Miami yet she's the first one to leave. Lots of things to pick up on. I've noticed racism themes as well. The colors. The critic of the youtube gangsta rap vs the real gangsters. ''Look at all my ****'' as a critic of materialism, etc. This was more than just a spring break movie. Very good for sure, lots of things to analyzise. Just like fight club or donnie darko or drive, ya GOTTA watch this one more than once.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:46 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
I thought it was brilliant. I really refer back to the line ''let's pretend we're in a video game'' before they rob the restaurant place to explain most of the movie. The girls wanted to get away, and they did, yet all they did was actually the same as what they were doing back in college (drinking, smoking and doing drugs). But they were pretending like it was just a game (notice at the end when they shoot everyone near the gangster's house how they're totally uncovered for and just walk in like a video game).

Funny how the Selena Gomes character is one that says she wants to stay forever in Miami yet she's the first one to leave. Lots of things to pick up on. I've noticed racism themes as well. The colors. The critic of the youtube gangsta rap vs the real gangsters. ''Look at all my ****'' as a critic of materialism, etc. This was more than just a spring break movie. Very good for sure, lots of things to analyzise. Just like fight club or donnie darko or drive, ya GOTTA watch this one more than once.
Donnie Darko? Yikes. Please give the deeper analysis. I always felt that was one where fans just put significance into plot holes. But maybe I just missed it

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:55 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Donnie Darko? Yikes. Please give the deeper analysis. I always felt that was one where fans just put significance into plot holes. But maybe I just missed it
That is exactly what it was.

As for Spring Breakers what in the world are you guys talking about with this symbolism and underlying themes nonsense? It really is just a bunch of mindless bull****. Pure trash.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:04 PM
Jussi
Dat Times Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
As for Spring Breakers what in the world are you guys talking about with this symbolism and underlying themes nonsense? It really is just a bunch of mindless bull****. Pure trash.
http://imgur.com/a/AQGDC

If you failed to pick up any of that and stuff just about every review(and just the Finnish ones) I've read of the movie, it's clear you lack intellectual capacity this movie requires of the viewer.

Here's an example, probably one of Roger Ebert's last review: http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/sp...reakers-2013-1

Old
07-11-2013, 11:19 PM
aleshemsky83

Alien first appears on stage and yells "What up St. Pete?" Saint Peter was given the key to heavens gates and is considered to be the gate keeper or guardian to heaven

Amazing symbolism how could I miss that. Horrible.

Right up there with a shot of a kid Eating spaghetti in a bathtub filled with muddy water

Old
07-12-2013, 06:54 AM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

If you're unable to understand that this movie was based around the distortion of the American Dream, I don't know what to tell you. Movie was genius.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:54 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
Right up there with a shot of a kid Eating spaghetti in a bathtub filled with muddy water
You forgot "with bacon taped to the walls". Another great movie.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Minor View Post
Terrible movie.
First time I've ever walked out of a movie in the cinema
Ya this was probably one of the worst movies I've seen in a while.
I would have turned it off, but I kept thinking it was going to get better...then it ended, and clearly it didn't

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 04:17 PM
40oz

Despite the best efforts of this thread, I watched it.

It wouldn't have been so bad if the majority of the movie wasn't irrelevant, glossy, slow motion, party scenes while the cast whispered nonsense for 10 minutes to make a simple point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
If you're unable to understand that this movie was based around the distortion of the American Dream, I don't know what to tell you. Movie was genius.
Concept was fine, execution was brutal.

Last edited by 40oz: 07-12-2013 at 05:15 PM.
40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 04:45 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
You are absolutely mental. genius?

Last edited by aleshemsky83: 07-12-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old
09-03-2013, 10:40 AM
End on a Hinote
Registered Abuser

Finally watched it and I must say I was quite underwhelmed. I am a little curious as to why it got the great reviews as it did. Sure it had a deep message, I get that. But even still I don't think that just because if it's deeper meaning that it necessarily made for a great movie. It's over use of slow flashback scenes and somewhat confusing, spoken under breathe statements made it more weird than anything. Not too mention the number of times they would constantly repeat the same sentence to each other over and over (again, I know there was a reason for that).

The trailer was (as trailers tend to do) a little misleading as they added nearly every action scene in the entire preview.

Who knows, maybe in 20 years this will go down as a major cult flick similar to what Scarface endured 30 years ago. But yeah, wasn't for me.

End on a Hinote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 11:23 AM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

vCash: 831
My issue with it is I will have the same problems with it in 20 years. The movie doesn't flow well.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Just watched this one, and I thought it was a very interesting movie. I don't quite have a clear handle on what I think of it, but I'm surprised about some of the criticism it got here.

The general cultural criticism was surely there, and it wasn't subtle, and it surely isn't lacking that because of the lack of immediate physical consequences to the characters. I'm not entirely sure how far the criticism is really meant to reach, though, to be honest. With all of its trashiness, that spring break experience does end up helping all these characters achieve what they've proclaimed they wanted to in their phony calls to their relatives in regards to "finding themselves".

The entire thing seemed to me like one drug-induced vision. The first girl leaving who's more spiritually rooted gets attacked on that level, leading to her breaking away. The next one gets attacked on a physical level, which is her trigger to fall out of the trip. It does appear the remaining two are portrayed as even less vulnerable to either influence, but at the same time, they just don't experience the second trigger, so they go through with it to the end. In many ways, that strange hybrid of a materialistic and animalic ritual of "spring break" did more for and/or to the characters than years without it could have. Not in an idealistic or just pleasant way, but highly effective, in brining all of them to their limits. In taking parts of their personalities, traits they only know from hearsay ("like it's a video game") but begin to enjoy as they enter their lives, taking those traits to utter extremes (the forms of violence, or the materialism) and thus ultimately disrupting their appeal.

It seemed to me that a part of the drug-like experience was the constant ambiguity of everything. Minor details/context change, and attraction becomes repulsing (and vice versa), control becomes powerlessness. Combined with the color schemes, I personally found it to have a very good flow, actually.

I thought it was well done, overall. Not an instant favourite, but an interesting experience. Glad I saw it.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 10:00 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 50
Great Movie (Selena Gomez in a bikini for an hour and a half? Yes please!) but terrible plot and story

Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 01:40 AM
Shaun
beauty

the britney spears everytime scene is one of the best in cinematic history

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 02:51 AM
Shoey
Hello.

Spring Breakers is wonderful in every way imaginable. If only because it's trolling people who think it's a spring break movie when it is in fact a Harmony Korine movie.

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 06:20 AM
kingbrath

Quote:
Genius??? uhhhhhh no...

kingbrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 08:59 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

this was an awful movie. I went into it thinking it would be a comedy. I think it could have been better if it wasn't for the fact that the 4 girls were terrible actors.

James Franco is really the only good thing about this movie. If it wasn't for him, I would have shut it off after 30 minutes

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Jussi
Dat Times Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbrath View Post
Genius??? uhhhhhh no...
Yes it was. An artsy film that one can watch through and appreciate the artsy stuff. I've seen me fair share or artsy films that were absolute chores to watch through and easily forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey View Post
Spring Breakers is wonderful in every way imaginable. If only because it's trolling people who think it's a spring break movie when it is in fact a Harmony Korine movie.
The fact that so many critics raved about the imagery and what they mean, while so many n00bs didn't get it, makes me worried how stupid our culture has become.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
the britney spears everytime scene is one of the best in cinematic history
It really was one of the best use of music in a montage in a movie in a long while.