HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers re-sign Marty Straka-1 year/$3.3 million

Old
01-17-2007, 12:09 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Nylander and Shanny next please!
Shanahan indicated last summer he was willing to go year to year-sign another one year contract for 07-08

OTOH,Nylander is looking for more than just a one year deal.He has a player option for 2007-08 worth $1.52 million

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 12:16 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Eh, maybe he's more attractive trade bait now that he's no longer UFA after this season. I mean, obviously that's not what Glen is thinking, but that's what I'd do .

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 12:19 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Shanahan indicated last summer he was willing to go year to year-sign another one year contract for 07-08

OTOH,Nylander is looking for more than just a one year deal.He has a player option for 2007-08 worth $1.52 million
This should go a ways to hurt Nylanders leverage.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 12:24 PM
JRGNYR

Good for Straka, he deserves it after the season he's having, and I'm sure both sides are happy they don't have to take this to the offseason.

Shanny and Nylander coming up...

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 12:30 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Eh, maybe he's more attractive trade bait now that he's no longer UFA after this season. I mean, obviously that's not what Glen is thinking, but that's what I'd do .
You want to trade our leading goal scorer and one of the few players that works their *** off every night?

Old
01-17-2007, 12:31 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

I like Straka as much as the next guy, and as long as he continues to play with Jagr this is a contract that will pretty much put him in the underpaid catagory amongst NHL forwards, but, if we are un-lucky enough to lose Jagr for any length of time, both Straka and Nylander become grossly overpaid.

At no point in his career has he ever played on a team without Jagr and been more than a decent 2nd line (better 3rd line) winger.

Same goes for Nylander. His career best was 64 points before being paired with Jagr, last year he shot up to 79 points and he's not on pace for 90+ points this year.

These two are both very pedestrian players that GREATLY benefit from playing with Jagr.

I don't want Nylander back and I would not be sad if Straka didn't come back either and if that means losing Jagr then so be it.

The make-up of this teams needs a major change, but as long as LiL Jimmy Dolan is around, we are fudged

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 12:56 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
You want to trade our leading goal scorer and one of the few players that works their *** off every night?
Yup, I do, and I want to trade Jagr and Shanny and Nylander as well. I want a full-fledged rebuild, because this core of players won't be winning us any Cups.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 01:14 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I like Straka as much as the next guy, and as long as he continues to play with Jagr this is a contract that will pretty much put him in the underpaid catagory amongst NHL forwards, but, if we are un-lucky enough to lose Jagr for any length of time, both Straka and Nylander become grossly overpaid.

At no point in his career has he ever played on a team without Jagr and been more than a decent 2nd line (better 3rd line) winger.

Same goes for Nylander. His career best was 64 points before being paired with Jagr, last year he shot up to 79 points and he's not on pace for 90+ points this year.

These two are both very pedestrian players that GREATLY benefit from playing with Jagr.

I don't want Nylander back and I would not be sad if Straka didn't come back either and if that means losing Jagr then so be it.

The make-up of this teams needs a major change, but as long as LiL Jimmy Dolan is around, we are fudged
I gotta agree and that's what really swings the deal one way or the other. So long as Jagr is healthy it'll be beneficial. But if Jagr gets hurt or starts to slip you essentially have two agining second liners who are at best about 60 point players.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 01:20 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Nylander and Shanny next please!
Ehh...Nylander I may pass on.

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 01:21 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

$3.3 million for Straka is a steal in my opinion. You should be happy he signed for that.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 01:24 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Excellent move. And I agree, this is a steal for someone who works hard every game like Marty. Gotta take care of Shanny next but for now, I like this move alot.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Great deal for the Rangers. For a guy who will score at least 80 points, maybe 100...very cheap. Clear he wants to stay.

Good job Sather.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 01:26 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The stopgaps have become permanent fixtures.

01-17-2007, 01:28 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yup, I do, and I want to trade Jagr and Shanny and Nylander as well. I want a full-fledged rebuild, because this core of players won't be winning us any Cups.
The goal is to draft and develop young talent while at the same time being a successful team. It makes sense for the Rangers as a business and for most casual fans as a source of entertainment.

Some people on this board would not be happy short of trading everyone over the age of 28.

Old
01-17-2007, 01:29 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
A one year deal = Permanent?

Old
01-17-2007, 01:30 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
A one year deal = Permanent?
It's three years now.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Of course you would...and Orr will center Jagr and Straka?

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 01:31 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Wouldn't mind getting rid of Cullen's, Ward's & Kaspars
Ward too? He's exactly the type of gritty defenseman every team needs to win Cups. Or do you think you aren't close enough to winning a Cup to make him worth it?

Anyway, great signing of Straka. From what I've seen of the Rangers, he's the only player on the team who is both talented and hardworking.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 01:34 PM
bathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Therein lies the problem. Where's the rebuild and when do kids get a chance? I would not have signed him and I would look to trade veterans. This team is not Cup worthy.

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 01:34 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Eh Nylander could be had fairly cheap now that Straka has only taken a 200K raise from this years contract I believe. I doubt he will accept his option for next season but might sign a 2 year deal worth possibly 2.7 mil per year or so. I don't see him asking for more than what Straka has received. I think the range will be 2.5-3 million per year, which is not too bad imo.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 01:38 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
Therein lies the problem. Where's the rebuild and when do kids get a chance? I would not have signed him and I would look to trade veterans. This team is not Cup worthy.
There needs to be a happy medium with Vets and Youth. Jagr, Straka, Nylanders and if Shanny resigns is a good core. That leaves the 2nd line center and LW position open (If they do not use Prucha at LW on the 2nd line). The team can fill those holes either via the younger UFA age (Briere/Drury) or through kids in the system. The bright side of things recently is that Renney has finally realized that he has to put Cullen on the 3rd line where he belongs.

I think that players on the bottom 6 of the team need to either not be resigned or traded to make room for players such as Byers, Moore, etc.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 01:42 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I just don't see how Marty Straka a year later helps this team get better.

Old
01-17-2007, 01:43 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Well now if the team falls out of contention at the deadline or early next season, there is more of a window to trade him instead of letting him go for nothing. And if we get it together for more than 2 games at a time in a row, we get to hold onto one of our best players.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 01:45 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
There needs to be a happy medium with Vets and Youth. Jagr, Straka, Nylanders and if Shanny resigns is a good core. That leaves the 2nd line center and LW position open (If they do not use Prucha at LW on the 2nd line). The team can fill those holes either via the younger UFA age (Briere/Drury) or through kids in the system. The bright side of things recently is that Renney has finally realized that he has to put Cullen on the 3rd line where he belongs.

I think that players on the bottom 6 of the team need to either not be resigned or traded to make room for players such as Byers, Moore, etc.
Resign Shanny and Nylander and I'm not sure you have the money to sign a Drury, Gomez and Briere. And if you do, you'll still have mediocre third and fourth lines (that is one-dimensional players).

It's time to move in a new direction. Unfortunately, this will remain pretty much the same as it is now until Jagr retires or leaves this team.

Rebuilding is different here.

Old
01-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Yet another example that it's NOT the same old Rangers.

You want to play here? No cushy long term deals for 30 somethings. Play first. Work hard. Then you get paid.
Except for Cullen and Aaron Ward..

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote