HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is there any way???

Old
01-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Thundermare

vCash: 500
Is there any way???

That the flyers can get rid of Derian Hatcher... is there any club that would need that kind of Dman... or that might think there's still some gas in the Thank... Please

Thundermare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 09:03 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
That the flyers can get rid of Derian Hatcher... is there any club that would need that kind of Dman... or that might think there's still some gas in the Thank... Please
I venture that there is a possibility that some true contending team at the deadline who has just lost a defenseman might see Hatcher as an option.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 10:26 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
When you wish upon a star...

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Thundermare

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight25 View Post
When you wish upon a star...
LOL

Brendan Witt fetch a nice return last year... maybe Phily could get a little (very little)something for a cheaper (ok way cheaper) version of Witt

Thundermare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 10:33 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
LOL

Brendan Witt fetch a nice return last year... maybe Phily could get a little (very little)something for a cheaper (ok way cheaper) version of Witt
There has to be a team out there looking for a PKer. He basically can't play 5 on 5 anymore and the PP has been out of the question since the guy was born. Hopefully someone wants to pay the big lug $3.5 mil for the next 2 seasons to play on their PK.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Hammerwise

To be honest Hatcher has shown he can still play top four minutes in the "new NHL" and has been our most consistent and best dman throughout the season.

His trade value has little to do with his play, but more so his contract which is not overly dear at 3.5 per yr, but the length which is still 3 yrs.

He qwill not get a "witt" return because hes not a UFA, but a 2nd wouldn't be out of the question. Although I think he remains here, a healthy Gautheir and Zhitnik would fetch more though.

Hammerwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 12:03 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerwise View Post
To be honest Hatcher has shown he can still play top four minutes in the "new NHL" and has been our most consistent and best dman throughout the season.

His trade value has little to do with his play, but more so his contract which is not overly dear at 3.5 per yr, but the length which is still 3 yrs.

He qwill not get a "witt" return because hes not a UFA, but a 2nd wouldn't be out of the question. Although I think he remains here, a healthy Gautheir and Zhitnik would fetch more though.
I agree that he hasnt been as bad as some think. Is he prone to getting beat by some speedy forwards, yes. But most of the time he is very steady. He just needs to be paired with a speedier dman. (he and Meyer were great until that stupid trade by our waste of a gm)

However, with that said, I dont think he would get us a 2nd round pick. At most, I think he gets us a 4th.

I think we should explore trading Zhitnik. There are several teams that need a dman like him and he probably would be pretty valuable assuming they dont mind two more years.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Amateur Hour

When Hatcher makes a mistake, it always seems to be glaring and lead to a goal for the opposition. However, he's been relatively steady this season, as he seems to finally understand his place in the "New NHL." That said, if a team is in desperate need of a D-man, I wouldn't be 100% surprised to see Hatcher dealt for a mid-round pick.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 03:05 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9teen7ty5 View Post
When Hatcher makes a mistake, it always seems to be glaring and lead to a goal for the opposition. However, he's been relatively steady this season, as he seems to finally understand his place in the "New NHL." That said, if a team is in desperate need of a D-man, I wouldn't be 100% surprised to see Hatcher dealt for a mid-round pick.
No one will take him.
Hatcher almost never chases player or the puck on a dump in. His partner does it and that’s why Hatcher looks ok while standing right next to the goalie, the problem is that Picard and Jones get outmuscle and as a result there is a scoring chance. Thats the only solution Flyers could come up that and line matching by our coaching staff. In Pittsburgh games they always do it and they do it perfectly that’s why he is always exposed in those games. Same against Sabres or any other fast team.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 01-16-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 03:05 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I agree that he hasnt been as bad as some think. Is he prone to getting beat by some speedy forwards, yes. But most of the time he is very steady. He just needs to be paired with a speedier dman. (he and Meyer were great until that stupid trade by our waste of a gm)

However, with that said, I dont think he would get us a 2nd round pick. At most, I think he gets us a 4th.

I think we should explore trading Zhitnik. There are several teams that need a dman like him and he probably would be pretty valuable assuming they dont mind two more years.
You are 1000% correct with the Hatcher statement. When he looks bad, he looks really bad.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 03:08 PM
BringBackStevens

I have absolutely no problems keeping hatcher onboard as the 4/5 + PK defensemen. He's useful in that role.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Hammerwise

SOme of you guys need to have some hockey knowledge.

Why doesn't hatcher chase puck into corner? Could it be so that he doesn't get beat by speedy forwards? Could it be the new rules on holding, clutching, grabbing, being physical, could it be cause his role is to keep crease clear? could it be cause hes always been a crease clearer his whole career? I think you'll find on most pairings in the nhl that have a defensive/physical/creaseclearer that that man will in most circumstances when two dmen are present, go for the net not the corner.

Its laughable: Hatcher gets criticized for getting beaten to the outside by speedy forwards and then gets criticized for not CHASING (in all likelihood much faster) forwards to the corners?

And why are his mistakes glaring? Do you ever notice how many threads on hatcher and pitkanen talk about how bad they both are and how many goals they surrender? Could it have anything to do with the fact that they eat minutes on the ice and they're the only NHL caliber dmen we've had all yr long? Quick name me the other two TOP 4 dmen we've had this season. Could it be that Hatcher gets alot of PK time without big minutes on PP? Could it be thats hes either partnered with a AHLer or a rookie or a beatup behemoth?

What other dman has been as good on the roster this yr or even last yr for that matter?(Jones? Be honest, hes barely an NHLer.)

Say you don't like his game, but don't criticize him for playing his role the best he can. The fact is Jones and Picard have overachieved but neither would be suiting up for a contender at this point in their careers. He is still a very good stay at home dman.

And if he had the right partner, I doubt anybody would be criticizing him and his 3.5 per yr (only the length) compared to McKee, Kubina, Gill and other UFA defensive dmen and their salaries.

Hammerwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Crazyhorse

Well, admitting that he sucks could be a first step.

Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 11:54 AM
jb**

Back in October I would say no way. Today it is possible. He is playing over 25 minutes a night. Scale that back to 20 and being a #5 dman, he becomes that much more effective. Some team is always willing to take a chance. Hope the injury bug hits several teams or a GM thinks, big very big if he may be what they need on D he could be moved. The salary may not be that bad now considering what the market was and will be. Gauthier is probably the one to be moved though as he is only at 2.1mm for the next few years. I would keep him. The way to move Hatcher will be to add a pick or prospect to sweeten the deal. If that is the case what prospect would you move?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Jester

Hatcher is what he is... he's NOT the top pairing stalwart he once was, but he's far from the disaster that people make him out to be. he needs to be in a pairing that complements him (which is a problem), but he's a feasible player in that role. is he paid much too much? yes. however, we can live with it and just let the contract go for now...

the problems with this club have much more to do with struggling youth... injuries, etc. than anything that Hatcher is doing or not doing. are Hatcher's errors glaring? yes... however, EVERYONE's errors are glaring and his are more noticeable because he has become a lightning rod on this team. YOU pay more attention to what he's doing than what other people are doing.

it's a young team, and that has much more to do with why we're struggling...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote