HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sticks for defensemen?

Old
12-29-2013, 09:22 AM
jazzykat

vCash: 500
Sticks for defensemen?

IMO, the only thing that matters in the end is what you like and what you can afford however I notice that more and more sticks are low kick and most of the blade curves seem to be optimized for forwards.

My questions:
1. Do D-men primarily still use mid-kick sticks or are they using low kick?
2. Are the 2 Dman blade patterns adequate for playing D or are you guys buying say a Sakic/Hall curve and playing D with it?

The reason I ask this, is that there is a huge shift towards lower kickpoints and the mid-kick selection seems to decrease each season.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 09:27 AM
AIREAYE

It's all personal preference, there are no such things as sticks made for forwards or D/"D-man curves" and as such, you won't hear of any trend.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 01:32 PM
Onetimersniper28

Traditionally, D-men want to use a longer stick with a longer blade to maximize their reach for breaking passing plays and poke checking.
The kick point doesn't really matter, it's all personal preference, although I'd use a mid-kick for optimal power in the slap shot. A quick release from the point is a bit useless.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 02:15 PM
jazzykat

Thanks for the replies. I'm still learning and will continue to buy/try different curves but my main stick for now is a low kick point with a sakic curve. It makes clearing the puck easier and hard long passes easier and more accurate.

I am still learning to take a slapshot so it's good enought for that too, since I might take 2 shots a game (maximum) but I make lots of passes and clears.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 03:30 PM
leftwinger37

I started out playing D, played forward for a number of years, an I'm now back to playing D a majority of the time. I use the exact same sticks I used as a forward; the only adjustment that I have made is adding between .5 to 1 inch to the length. No matter what your position, I feel you should always choose a stick based on the strengths of your game and the types of shots you take most frequently.

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

The only thing that I prefer when playing defense is a square toe because I find it easier to pick up pucks along the boards, especially on the backhand side. I prefer the Datsyuk or Hedman curve, but like others have mentioned, it's due to personal preference.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 04:06 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
Traditionally, D-men want to use a longer stick with a longer blade to maximize their reach for breaking passing plays and poke checking.
The kick point doesn't really matter, it's all personal preference, although I'd use a mid-kick for optimal power in the slap shot. A quick release from the point is a bit useless.
Useless? if you're being pressured from their wing and need to get a quick dump in or shot off?

Old
12-29-2013, 04:33 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Useless? if you're being pressured from their wing and need to get a quick dump in or shot off?
Quick release is only used to deceive the goalie at close range. Dumping the puck is equally done with a mid kick or a low kick. I've never seen someone beat the goalie clean from the blue line with a quick release snap shot.

Old
12-29-2013, 08:12 PM
AIREAYE

Quick release describes the loading and unloading of a stick to give the puck a greater acceleration right off the motion. This includes sending passes as well as shots and not just solely snap shots on net. Kick points affect more than just the type of shots.

Old
12-29-2013, 09:55 PM
leftwinger37

[QUOTE=Onetimersniper28;76932921A quick release from the point is a bit useless.[/QUOTE]

If you're not getting off your shots and passes quickly from the point, you're not even succeeding at being a decoy on offense. When you're taking your time to load up a big shot or otherwise give the opposition time, they're going to square up to block and the goalie is probably going to be ready for it if it gets through. This has less to do with kick points than it has to do with fundamentals; defensemen move the puck in the defensive and the offensive zone. If you're not getting shots and passes off quickly then you're slowing down your entire team's flow and severely limiting your own opportunities.

Old
12-29-2013, 10:06 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

I am a left winger that switched to defense because my coach asked me too. I have a short stick with a light flex because of the LW position, I don't have enough money to buy a new stick, we'll see how it goes.

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 10:07 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Quick release describes the loading and unloading of a stick to give the puck a greater acceleration right off the motion. This includes sending passes as well as shots and not just solely snap shots on net. Kick points affect more than just the type of shots.
Trust me, having a mid kick stick won't slow you down enough to make a difference.
Otherwise you wouldn't see any NHL defenseman using mid kick sticks.

Old
12-29-2013, 10:08 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinger37 View Post
If you're not getting off your shots and passes quickly from the point, you're not even succeeding at being a decoy on offense. When you're taking your time to load up a big shot or otherwise give the opposition time, they're going to square up to block and the goalie is probably going to be ready for it if it gets through. This has less to do with kick points than it has to do with fundamentals; defensemen move the puck in the defensive and the offensive zone. If you're not getting shots and passes off quickly then you're slowing down your entire team's flow and severely limiting your own opportunities.
Exactly what I meant, kick points barely make any difference.

Old
12-29-2013, 10:24 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
I'd agree with you if this is really what you meant, but before you said that having a quick release is useless, which sounded pretty ridiculous.

Old
12-30-2013, 07:15 AM
leftwinger37

Quote:
Not really what you said, but I'm glad we're on the same page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch for the Yeti View Post
I am a left winger that switched to defense because my coach asked me too. I have a short stick with a light flex because of the LW position, I don't have enough money to buy a new stick, we'll see how it goes.
Play a couple games and if you still feel like you need a longer stick, consider a composite end plug as a short term solution. I know that playing D with a stick that is too short absolutely kills my back. Not to mention the frustration of trying to swat away a puck or block a pass that is just out of my reach.

Old
12-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinger37 View Post
Not really what you said, but I'm glad we're on the same page.
Sorry for the misunderstanding, English isn't my first language. I sound confused sometimes