HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers AHL prospects update

Old
01-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Nich

vCash: 500

http://hockeysfuture.com/articles/9389

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 01-17-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 01:56 PM
GarretJoseph

After reading that I can understand why there isn't more kids from hartford playing up at the garden this year...

wasnt really happy with what i read...

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 02:31 PM
TheRedressor

Most of them are not ready

Dawes and Immo def are tho.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 03:08 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Most of them are not ready

Dawes and Immo def are tho.
if they are ready, i guess renney rather have guys with no hands on the bottom lines, except prucha. Why cant Dawes play on a 3rd line with Cullen or Immonen. Immonen would have scored last night with that chance that Betts had. Great to have guys outside of the top 2 lines that can score. Nope we got bottom line players that cant score.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 03:32 PM
Nich

the thing is this, is dawes right now more capable of playing 3rd line than prucha, cullen, hossa, bettes, hollywood, orts?

if you said no than youy understand why he is not up...if you said yes, now you know why your trade proposals go over like they do

dawes will be given a shot, but unless he is gaurnteed 10+ minutes a night, i rather him play 18-20 down on the pack

and if you say get him on the 4th line, it is a waste....

Old
01-17-2007, 04:26 PM
kasparaitis666

While reading this article I realized that we are overrating some of our prospects in Hartford verses the reality of where they were taken in the draft. Example: Immonen is an 8th round pick. I think that people on this board overrate what we have when they say that someone like Immonen can be a 2nd line center. This guy was drafted in the 8th round! If he is/was such a lock to become a good second line center why wasn't he taken in an earlier round of the draft? This bring us to another downfall of Rangers' management which visualizes roles for players, that are way beyond their capabilities. Which is exaclty what has happened to prospect Immonen, and even regulars Matt Cullen, and Blair betts this year.

kasparaitis666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 04:49 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasparaitis666 View Post
While reading this article I realized that we are overrating some of our prospects in Hartford verses the reality of where they were taken in the draft. Example: Immonen is an 8th round pick. I think that people on this board overrate what we have when they say that someone like Immonen can be a 2nd line center. This guy was drafted in the 8th round! If he is/was such a lock to become a good second line center why wasn't he taken in an earlier round of the draft? This bring us to another downfall of Rangers' management which visualizes roles for players, that are way beyond their capabilities. Which is exaclty what has happened to prospect Immonen, and even regulars Matt Cullen, and Blair betts this year.

Player/Overall draft position
Dom Hasek- 207th pick in 1983
Pavel Bure- 113th in 1989
Daniel Alfredsson- 133rd in 1994
Doug Gilmour- 134th in 1982
Theo Fleury- 166th in 1987
Pavol Demitra- 227th in 1993
Dan McGillis- 238th in 1993

Hasek, Bure, and Gilmour are HOFers. The rest, good to GREAT players. And then look at all the success teams like the Avalanche have had finding studs after the first two rounds. Point is, there are TONS of terrific players that for one reason or another fall to the later rounds of the draft. Now, is Immonen a second line center? Who knows, but to say he's not capable of that role because he was taken in round 8 is foolish.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Just a heads up that some very good European players were/are taken in the later rounds because NHL clubs are doubtful that they will come over and don't want to use a lower round pick.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 05:40 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasparaitis666 View Post
Oh god..ever here of kids named Petr Prucha? Henrik Lundqvist? I guess we are overrating them because they were taken in the 7th and 8th round!

Last edited by FLYLine24*: 01-17-2007 at 06:07 PM.
FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 05:51 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
http://hockeysfuture.com/articles/9389

Update...Stuck in Hartford...and not going anywhere!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 06:09 PM
Fletch

Most aren't ready, but...

we saw Dawes play in the NHL and looked like he could've handled some more ice time.

We saw Callahan play in the NHL and didn't look out of place.

We saw Immonen play, and while there may be mixed thoughts, he, I think, played pretty well.

With this team seemingly needed a shot in the arm, playing some guys with a little jump in their step and getting a better barometer as to where they're at in the develpment and if they can handle the big leagues shouldn't be out of the question. I'm not talking about 20 minutes per night, but when Hall was struggling, why not Callahan? Instead of Orr, why not Callahan? Before Hossa had his fourth goal of the season, what was wrong with Dawes? I won't even go into Immonen after Renney's idiotic statement. And heck, Dubinsky looks tons better than a couple months ago - could he provide a third line spark with Cullen and Ortmeyer to watch his back? Is it worth a shot playing him over Jason Krog? He's only been getting better in the AHL - could he acclimate quickly to the NHL?

Again, this team looks like it needs a shot in the arm, and has needed that shot. Why not take a chance here or there (note: not talking about rushing guys - but 3 of the 4 guys mentioned seemed to have played well in the NHL - that's not rushing).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Fletch

Kaspar...

people aren't saying Immonen can be a second line center. What they are saying is that he could be (and was briefly) as good a centerman as the current second line centerman (Cullen) had been previously. If he can come in and provide the same results as Cullen, that line doesn't change. Cullen would then go to the third line, and the bottom two lines would be better. So at a minimum (i.e., Immonen not bringing anything more than Cullen on a second line) the team as a whole improves. If Immonen can get the puck to Shanny, then that line improves, and the team's all the better. Long-term, Immonen likely will not be a second liner. Short term, he can fill a hole so a guy like Cullen can play third line wing and bring more offense on a third line which nets out to more goals for the Rangers and thus more wins. And when you have a race where several teams are a few points from a playoff spot, an extra 2-3 points here or there may be the difference between playoffs and not. Forget about winning a playoff game for a minute - let's just get there.

Old
01-17-2007, 06:22 PM
The Big Apple

Just because a guy is taken in the eighth round, doesn't mean he can't become a second line center.... It justs means that at the time that the draft was held most scouts believed as his pace of develpement that their was little chance he would make it at the NHL. He went above and beyond his current pace of develpement, and has become a highly touted prospect. A prospect who is great at faceoffs, has good hands, quick passes, and good vision.....

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Ola

Still Kaspar got a point.

Immonen have not once in his career had any real success.

His stats in HFD always left some to be desired. For someone who is used to playing against men a little less then a PPG aren't great. There are very few 2nd line centers that even go through the AHL. Either its kids who are making the transition to playing against men, like for example a Jeff Carter, or its "vets" like Immonen. But then they really dominates.

Immonen never were able to establish himself on the finnish national team. Twice he basically had a spot to loose in a WCH, and did... On the big ice and national team play the tempo is really high. Most guys that makes it to the NHL excells at that level. The level of hockey is really good and its a great measure stick. Immonen never managed to stay with the flow at that level.

He clearly have intensity problems. I don't see anything in his game that warrents me to belive that he have 2nd line center potential.

Someone like Dawes clearly have size problems.

Dubinsky, while beeing really promising, also have some issues. He is not exactly a smooth player. He got some obstecles he must get past.

Pck is a D who shifted from forward 4 years ago now, or something.

I think we have a really good farm and that its reasonable to expect it to produce, probably around 5-6 players, the next 3-4 years.

But my point is that we need to be patient and give these kids time. Staal is a great prospect. We can have hopes for him to walk right into the lineup. Just like Tyutin. Just like Lundqvist. Hopefully the same applies to Korpikoski.

But with the rest some, growing pains defenitly are to be expected.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Fletch

ola...

as a 20/21 year old, Jarkko was third on his team in points. As a 21/22 year old he was top. As a 22/23 year old he was tops. As a 23/24 year old he was tops. Maybe he played on bad teams, but at least he was tops on the teams on which he played, which I would say is some sort of success. And a PPG in Hartford in your first year as a 23/24 year old isn't so bad, especially when it's best on your team and up there among other rookies, no?

Old
01-17-2007, 07:33 PM
The Big Apple

Considering Immonen has only been playing in the States for a little over a year, i think he is doing damn well for himself... You can't expect him to produce instantly, he will get better....

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 09:47 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Player/Overall draft position
Dom Hasek- 207th pick in 1983
Pavel Bure- 113th in 1989
Daniel Alfredsson- 133rd in 1994
Doug Gilmour- 134th in 1982
Theo Fleury- 166th in 1987
Pavol Demitra- 227th in 1993
Dan McGillis- 238th in 1993

Hasek, Bure, and Gilmour are HOFers. The rest, good to GREAT players. And then look at all the success teams like the Avalanche have had finding studs after the first two rounds. Point is, there are TONS of terrific players that for one reason or another fall to the later rounds of the draft. Now, is Immonen a second line center? Who knows, but to say he's not capable of that role because he was taken in round 8 is foolish.
u can add Kim Johnsson to that list, last player picked in 94 and turned into a top 4 dman for any team. Too bad we dont have him now.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Nich

HEART CAN'T BE MEASURED!!!!!

RUDY, RUDY, RUDY!!!!

Old
01-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Lampman is having a very good year at Hartford.

hahahaahahahahahahaaaa

so it's official these guys don't watch the games

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Fletch

I will say this about Jarkko...

I actually admire how far he's come. He's gone from 8th round pick, to an AHL point-per-game guy who actually got a cup of tea in the NHL on a couple stints and has actually scored some points. A guy that has accomplished that is often a guy who is driven and can succeed. Maybe Jarkko's topped-out, or maybe the coaches should've recognized and conveyed their concerns last season instead of seeing something in one game about 20 games and a season later. Sorry, it was weird hearing Renney say something about his ability to keep up in the NHL, while citing one game, despite seeing him play in nearly 20 games previously.