HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers re-sign Marty Straka-1 year/$3.3 million

Old
01-17-2007, 01:47 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
That's true, SBoB...

last year we talked about 1-year contracts and stop-gaps - because this organization's prospect talent may be a bit thinner, or earlier in their development as some may've expected, the stop-gap 1-year from last year might as well have been 3 years.

PLD - I somewhat agree. I think if Jagr goes down Straka becomes overpaid, but not 'grossly' overpaid though. He's still a useful player (as a second liner, or third liner, one who can kill penalties (even though he doesn't currently, and who's a shorthanded threat), as well as a hard working vet who's defensively responsible).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
This is hopefully the start of resigning all of the deserving veterans. Shanny, Nylander. However at this point I really do not see Shanahan coming back here. He wants to win another cup and he wont be able to do it here.

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Well now if the team falls out of contention at the deadline or early next season, there is more of a window to trade him instead of letting him go for nothing. And if we get it together for more than 2 games at a time in a row, we get to hold onto one of our best players.
I don't bring in players with the idea that I can always trade him. I bring in players that I want to be a part of this team. And I don't really think that Straka would be as effective on any other team as he is here.

01-17-2007, 01:52 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Resign Shanny and Nylander and I'm not sure you have the money to sign a Drury, Gomez and Briere. And if you do, you'll still have mediocre third and fourth lines (that is one-dimensional players).

It's time to move in a new direction. Unfortunately, this will remain pretty much the same as it is now until Jagr retires or leaves this team.

Rebuilding is different here.
It is true that money will be tight if the Nylander does not accept his option or if they resign Shanny. The cap will be going up a bit this year so that will help a bit. It all depends on what Lundqvist and Prucha get for their next set of contracts and if Sather can get rid of Kaspar's contract.

If I had a choice of either resigning Shanny or signing a player like Briere I would have to go with Briere.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 01:53 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
I don't bring in players with the idea that I can always trade him. I bring in players that I want to be a part of this team. And I don't really think that Straka would be as effective on any other team as he is here.
I agree. I think a major part of his success has been playing with Jagr, and he is one of the vets who should be kept if a rebuild happens..but in the off chance that Sather decides to go in that direction, it's a good chip to have. I hope it doesn't come to that, but you just never know.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 01:55 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

What is the alternative to giving Martin Straka a one year deal?Giving Scott Gomez or Daniel Briere or Chris Drury a 4-5-6 year contract for at least $5 million with a NMC or a NTC is not that much of a better alternative.It's not like either of those three players are anything more than 70 point scorers(except for one season for Gomez)

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 01:58 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman27 View Post
This is hopefully the start of resigning all of the deserving veterans. Shanny, Nylander. However at this point I really do not see Shanahan coming back here. He wants to win another cup and he wont be able to do it here.
Then you are hoping for more of the same.

This team will not look a whole different next year. And you can't blame that on Renney.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bathgate

Jagr, Straka, Nylander and Shanny will not play for a Cup winner in N.Y. The idea is to build a Cup coNtending team. These players will be too old by the time our "future" is ready. Why not be bold and trade some or all of the above for some core blue chip prospects. Are my fellow posters content in fighting for the seventh spot in the playoffs and never really fighting for the Cup?

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Except for Cullen and Aaron Ward..
Aaron Ward signed a two year deal.Other teams offered him more than two years but he had already given his word to the Rangers.Matt Cullen signed a four year deal because Toronto,Ottawa,Nashville and Atlanta were all bidding for him

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 02:33 PM
funky

Straka is a good signing for the money. Jagr needs his type of players to succeed and that includes Straka. I say we need to get grittier and younger and lose the Czech philosophy.

Let Nylander walk as Staka can move to Center while Prucha moves up to wing with Rosie and Malik on defence giving Jagr his Czech line.

Retain Shanny and bring in a quick, pass first center to play with him (Conroy is cheap and is a great setup man, penalty killer. Throw a defensive compliment like Sturm and you have a gritty fast, defensivly responsible 2nd line. If Conroy is on the team he is a year in year out Selke canidate, throw Dawes on the line instead.

Then address the real problem, defense.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 02:38 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
PLD - I somewhat agree. I think if Jagr goes down Straka becomes overpaid, but not 'grossly' overpaid though. He's still a useful player (as a second liner, or third liner, one who can kill penalties (even though he doesn't currently, and who's a shorthanded threat), as well as a hard working vet who's defensively responsible).

Well, I can only go by what he has done as a player while not with Jagr and if you are going to give him 3.3 million for what he is I think it's grossly overpaid.

http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com...player.cgi?472

A quick look at his career would show the major spikes in production while playing with Jagr.

Take away the 6 years in Pitt and last and this year from NY and look at him as a player not playing with Jagr.

He's not a player that can create much for himself, nor can he create for his teammates and it's showed in the various cities he's been in.

If it happened once or twice I'd call it a fluke, but Ottawa, Florida, Islanders and Los Angeles have all experienced Straka without Jagr and none were happy with the results.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 02:39 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
Straka is a good signing for the money. Jagr needs his type of players to succeed and that includes Straka. I say we need to get grittier and younger and lose the Czech philosophy.

Let Nylander walk as Staka can move to Center while Prucha moves up to wing with Rosie and Malik on defence giving Jagr his Czech line.

Retain Shanny and bring in a quick, pass first center to play with him (Conroy is cheap and is a great setup man, penalty killer. Throw a defensive compliment like Sturm and you have a gritty fast, defensivly responsible 2nd line. If Conroy is on the team he is a year in year out Selke canidate, throw Dawes on the line instead.

Define succeed. If you want to get grittier and lose the Czech philosophy, this is hardly a good signing.

Old
01-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post

Cant let Nylander go as long as Jagr is here, he has proven much more effective at center than Straka. Dont know if its worth taking on Conroys salary for what he is at this point, but then again I havent seen him play regularly in a while.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Choice

Quote:
Define succeed. If you want to get grittier and lose the Czech philosophy, this is hardly a good signing.
Straka is arguably the grittiest player on the team

Old
01-17-2007, 02:57 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
The goal is to draft and develop young talent while at the same time being a successful team. It makes sense for the Rangers as a business and for most casual fans as a source of entertainment.

Some people on this board would not be happy short of trading everyone over the age of 28.
We're not winning a Cup with the core of Jagr-Nylander-Straka, IMO. We're far too many pieces away from a Cup-contending team, and we're not going to have the cap room available this offseason to sign all the pieces we need. The true impact prospects- Staal, Dubinsky, Korpikoski et al- are a year or two away from helping in any significant manner. In a couple of years when the kids are primed to help, Jagr, Straka Nylander and Shanny will all be gone or at diminished capabilities. The result will be more mediocrity.

That's why I clamor for a fire sale now. Trade our valuable players, such as Straka and Shanny, for young players that will be ready to help in the very near future (or are already in the NHL, contributing). We'd actually have the cap room to add high-impact FAs if necessary, and we'd have a core of youngsters contributing now and in the future.

If you believe that this team with this core of players can win a Cup in the next two years, then I'd understand why you'd think I'm crazy for wanting to trade Straka. If you don't think we'll be winning a Cup in the next couple years, then it makes sense to bite the bullet now and prepare to build a real team for the future.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 03:05 PM
Choice

They are a second line center and a stud defenseman away from being a cup contender IMO

Old
01-17-2007, 03:12 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
Straka is arguably the grittiest player on the team
If that's the case, that's a big problem.

Old
01-17-2007, 03:15 PM
Choice

Quote:
If that's the case, that's a big problem.
He might not play a phsyical game or be very intimidating but as of right now he has my vote for the MacDonald extra effort award

Old
01-17-2007, 03:17 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
He might not play a phsyical game or be very intimidating but as of right now he has my vote for the MacDonald extra effort award
That's fine. But it's a bad sign for this team.

Old
01-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Choice

As long as Jagr is here youve gotta surround him with the players that he works with best

Old
01-17-2007, 03:25 PM
bathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
We're not winning a Cup with the core of Jagr-Nylander-Straka, IMO. We're far too many pieces away from a Cup-contending team, and we're not going to have the cap room available this offseason to sign all the pieces we need. The true impact prospects- Staal, Dubinsky, Korpikoski et al- are a year or two away from helping in any significant manner. In a couple of years when the kids are primed to help, Jagr, Straka Nylander and Shanny will all be gone or at diminished capabilities. The result will be more mediocrity.

That's why I clamor for a fire sale now. Trade our valuable players, such as Straka and Shanny, for young players that will be ready to help in the very near future (or are already in the NHL, contributing). We'd actually have the cap room to add high-impact FAs if necessary, and we'd have a core of youngsters contributing now and in the future.

If you believe that this team with this core of players can win a Cup in the next two years, then I'd understand why you'd think I'm crazy for wanting to trade Straka. If you don't think we'll be winning a Cup in the next couple years, then it makes sense to bite the bullet now and prepare to build a real team for the future.
A poster with whom I agree!!

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 03:27 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
As long as Jagr is here youve gotta surround him with the players that he works with best
I think that's hogwash. If this team is serious about moving forward and building a contender (and by contender I don't mean a team that is battling for the #7 spot), you need to to what's best for the team not Jagr. Jagr is a great player. But he's not getting any younger and healthier and I don't think we'll see another season like he had last year. So you need to enhance other areas of your team.

When is Nigel Dawes going to get a fair shot? What happens is Korpikoski wins a spot on this team? Is Prucha a thought anymore? This are issues that are more important to me than keeping Jagr happy.

Old
01-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Yet another example that it's NOT the same old Rangers.

You want to play here? No cushy long term deals for 30 somethings. Play first. Work hard. Then you get paid.
The only problem with this is that Straka has made it clear that he's only willing to sign one year deals. He's been flirting with the idea of going home to the Czech Republic and wants to leave his options open.

Straka is a hard worker and has really helped keep this team in contention with his offense this year, but as others have said, signing him is a sign that Sather thinks that more of the same will somehow win him another Stanley Cup. I don't see a big change in management's philosophy any time soon.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Choice

Quote:
I think that's hogwash. If this team is serious about moving forward and building a contender (and by contender I don't mean a team that is battling for the #7 spot), you need to to what's best for the team not Jagr. Jagr is a great player. But he's not getting any younger and healthier and I don't think we'll see another season like he had last year. So you need to enhance other areas of your team.

When is Nigel Dawes going to get a fair shot? What happens is Korpikoski wins a spot on this team? Is Prucha a thought anymore? This are issues that are more important to me than keeping Jagr happy.
The team's future cup prospects should definitely be more important than keeping jagr happy, but do you think any of those guys deserve to be ahead of Straka on the team depth chart? If yes then what is even the point of having Jagr here? Which is getting into a whole other argument

Old
01-17-2007, 03:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
The team's future cup prospects should definitely be more important than keeping jagr happy, but do you think any of those guys deserve to be ahead of Straka on the team depth chart? If yes then what is even the point of having Jagr here? Which is getting into a whole other argument
I don't know. I would like to see Dawes play with Jagr. I'd like to see Prucha play with Jagr. If Straka is going to prevent that from happening (and we know it will) then I don't like the fact that this team's top 6 forwards will still be filled by older vets who aren't going to get any better.