HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Finally A Defense Men that Moves the Puck

Old
01-17-2007, 01:48 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 674

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoyBoy View Post
Looking at stats, I'm wondering how Pock can have such great confidence with and control of the puck, plus so many shots on goal (34), and only have 1 G and 1 A this year.

Is he just seeing lots of ice time while the 4th line is out there?
It is not just that Pock sometimes plays with the 3rd and 4th line...the problem is that he never gets to play consistently.

Renney would put him in for a few games, then bench him, then put him in again, etc. It is ridiculous! The kid cannot get any momentum or point streak going when he is being treated like a yoyo!

Evgeny Oliker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 03:07 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
If we can keep this kid, our defense next season could be VERY good:

Tyutin - Ward
Staal - Pock
Rozsival - Malik

Hey, I don't love Malik, but I'd rather keep him than Rachunek
What about those pairings leads you to believe that the defense would be very good? It's more or less the same personnel as this year, plus a guy with tons of potential who is in Juniors. Is Staal going to make the defense very good?

With those pairings, you still have Malik and Rosie who will absolutely give up more than their fair share of goals; a rookie who will inevitably make rookie mistakes paired with a guy who has looked solid but by no means is a defensive defenseman; and Tyutin, a guy who looks to me to be more of a second pairing D-man playing with another guy who is no better than a second pairing D-man. I like your optimism, but I feel like if those are our pairings next season we're in for more trouble.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
What about those pairings leads you to believe that the defense would be very good? It's more or less the same personnel as this year, plus a guy with tons of potential who is in Juniors. Is Staal going to make the defense very good?

With those pairings, you still have Malik and Rosie who will absolutely give up more than their fair share of goals; a rookie who will inevitably make rookie mistakes paired with a guy who has looked solid but by no means is a defensive defenseman; and Tyutin, a guy who looks to me to be more of a second pairing D-man playing with another guy who is no better than a second pairing D-man. I like your optimism, but I feel like if those are our pairings next season we're in for more trouble.
First off, the whole point of those pairings is that Rozsival and Malik go from being the top pairing to being the 3rd pairing. This way instead of them playing 20-25 minutes per game, they will play 10-15 minutes per game.

Tyutin - Ward
(25 min each)
I agree that Tyutin is not a true #1 D. What is nice about him though is that he is a strong kid who can log a lot of ice time without getting tired. I also feels he plays better when he plays more minutes. Ward is just very solid.

Staal - Pock
(20 min each)
Sure, Staal is a rookie...however, from watching him play, he is very mature and makes smart decisions. Pock will have enough experience next season to help Staal out. I like this pairing a lot, they will do well.

Roszival - Malik
(15 min each)
Malik is old and getting slower by the minute. Rozsival is decent. If they play 15 minutes each against the worst lines, they will be fine.

Old
01-17-2007, 03:47 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
First off, the whole point of those pairings is that Rozsival and Malik go from being the top pairing to being the 3rd pairing. This way instead of them playing 20-25 minutes per game, they will play 10-15 minutes per game.

Tyutin - Ward
(25 min each)
I agree that Tyutin is not a true #1 D. What is nice about him though is that he is a strong kid who can log a lot of ice time without getting tired. I also feels he plays better when he plays more minutes. Ward is just very solid.

Staal - Pock
(20 min each)
Sure, Staal is a rookie...however, from watching him play, he is very mature and makes smart decisions. Pock will have enough experience next season to help Staal out. I like this pairing a lot, they will do well.

Roszival - Malik
(15 min each)
Malik is old and getting slower by the minute. Rozsival is decent. If they play 15 minutes each against the worst lines, they will be fine.
I think your assessments are pretty spot on. Though, I'd rather see more youth (Baranka, Girardi if they look good in camp), or an upgrade through FA or trades. A lot of what I want on D is predicated on Sather somehow finding a way to get rid of Malik and Kaspar, which at this point looks pretty difficult.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I think your assessments are pretty spot on. Though, I'd rather see more youth (Baranka, Girardi if they look good in camp), or an upgrade through FA or trades. A lot of what I want on D is predicated on Sather somehow finding a way to get rid of Malik and Kaspar, which at this point looks pretty difficult.

Believe me, I'd rather see Baranka in there than Malik!

The thing is, we all know how much Sather and Jagr love Malik!