HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Phaneuf About to Sign 7 Year/$50 Million Deal

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Faltorvo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stakesishigh View Post
I'm a little sick of this being a rumour for a few weeks now, kinda want to see something get done.

I'm not a huge Phaneuf fan but I recognize his value and importance to this team. I'll be content as long as it's not over 7m/yr.
TBVH at 7 x7 I'm a little disappointed in our Captain and supposed team leader.

I was hoping he would set himself as a leadership example and take a little bit less so the franchise can start to better compete cap wise with the other top teams in the league.

A very naive sentiment on my part.

Old
12-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Couple things about the JBo deal...

1. He's 2 years older than Phaneuf, so that's why the term is shorter
2. This is the first very good year he's had in a while. He was not a better defenseman than Dion during his time in Calgary, you can ask the large chunk of flames fans clambering they traded the wrong guy.
3. Bouwmeester has been known to be extremely temperamental, he's not a big market guy openly admitting that, no doubt he took a discount to stay in St Louis and easily could have gotten better offers in UFA
The very same argument could be made about Dion on when or how many "very good years" he has had of late.

Old
12-30-2013, 01:26 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post

I was hoping he would set himself as a leadership example and take a little bit less so the franchise can start to better compete cap wise with the other top teams in the league.

If it's 7x7 then he is in in all likelihood taking a discount.

Old
12-30-2013, 01:27 PM
topched

Quote:

He is taking less though... Almost every pundit out there things Dion could get more in UFA.

And I know there's an argument over market value... and sure there are outlier offers, but if the guy is getting multiple offers at or higher than the rumoured deal... It's true MV rather than one outlier contract

Old
12-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
He is taking less though... Almost every pundit out there things Dion could get more in UFA.

And I know there's an argument over market value... and sure there are outlier offers, but if the guy is getting multiple offers at or higher than the rumoured deal... It's true MV rather than one outlier contract
What can I say, when I see freshly inked contracts like

Dats 7.5m
Both Sedins at 7m
JBO 5.4m

Dion at 7m leaves me wanting better for our franchise.

Old
12-30-2013, 01:31 PM
topched

Quote:
The very same argument could be made about Dion on when or how many "very good years" he has had of late.
Definitely, but comparing the two... Over the past five seasons (since bouwmeester left Florida) I think there's legitimate argument that Dion was better 4 of those years with the exception of this season.

Old
12-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Definitely, but comparing the two... Over the past five seasons (since bouwmeester left Florida) I think there's legitimate argument that Dion was better 4 of those years with the exception of this season.
Better, ok fair debate but 1.6m per better?

Look I have to give JBO credit, he left some on the table so he could fit in on a roster and help that team take a real shot at the cup.

I can't make that same statement about Dion.

Old
12-30-2013, 01:38 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
What can I say, when I see freshly inked contracts like

Dats 7.5m
Both Sedins at 7m
JBO 5.4m

Dion at 7m leaves me wanting better for our franchise.
I agree with you to some extent but players simply won't take discounts to play here. Leafs have always had to overpay for players or at the very least pay them close to market value. That's just the way it's been and the way it will be. It'll never be like Detroit or Chicago

Old
12-30-2013, 01:38 PM
yubbers
Komorovadingdong

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apologist View Post
What did it take to acquire Boyle? For argument's sake.
Letting Phaneuf walk. Boyle won't see more than a 4 year deal IMO. Maybe 5 and he'd probably stay right where he is salary wise. So you entice him with cash. 3x8mil.

This is all based on the fantasy he'd want to play here. Still a risky move but less or more so than Dion?

Old
12-30-2013, 01:40 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

We are way over the desired 1000 post limit per thread so I will close this one.

/Closed