HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Best player ever from non-traditional nation

Old
12-21-2013, 09:32 AM
mrinsane

vCash: 500
Mariuz Czerkawski from Pologne

mrinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 08:36 PM
IComeInPeace

I think people just like to throw out as many names as possible, born in odd (by hockey standards) places.
Who cares where someone was born? It's where they learned the game and/or spent their formative years...

Willi Plett was born in Paraguay. If he learned the game of hockey there, that would be relevant, and really impressive...but he grew up in Canada and had the same advantage in learning the game that everyone else did.

Rod Langway was born in Taiwan, but he grew up in Massachusetts, which hardly seems to qualify as a non traditional market. It's not like him being unable to practice with elite players when he was the age of 2 or 3 is likely to have hindered his hockey development, is it?

You almost have to have 2 separate questions when you start a topic like this:
1) the question asked by the OP
2) oddest places NHL'ers were born
Because if you don't ask #2 above, too many people just want to give an odd birthplace.

My turn. Robyn Regehr, Jordin Tootoo...

Regehr should win this hands down bc he was not only born in Brazil, but was drafted straight out of the Brazilian Junior Hockey League. He not only represented the Brazilian National Ice hockey team in the world juniors, but also the Olympics, helping them win a silver medal in '98. The team was short on skill, but had a never say die attitude, defined by the 8 Gracie brothers on the team. Some might suggest Regehr actually had an an advantage over his Cdn/US/European rivals because he trained exclusively with Renaldo, Renaldino, Pele, and a host of other one named world class athletes.

But really, the clear winner here for what the OP was looking for is Taro Tsujimoto out of Japan. Trained in Japan, Eric Lindros size and strength, Al MacInnis slap shot, Gretzky's vision...the kid had it all. Just fell off the face of the earth under very mysterious circumstances. We will never know what could have been. But frankly I think it is a slap in the face to Japanese players everywhere that his existence is rarely ever even acknowledged...

Racism??? I hate to say it, but I can't help but wonder if he was a blonde haired, blue eyed kid from the prairies, how often we would hear his name.

Carry on boys.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 08:45 PM
crobro

Ivan Bolderev serbia

crobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 09:04 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by crobro View Post
Ivan Bolderev serbia
Ivan Boldirev moved to Canada when he was 2. Stop throwing out the first name that comes to your head and think critically.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 02:46 AM
begbeee

So we made a step forward.. Who's that player?
If Latvia is out, it's between Kopitar and Czerkawski..

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 04:10 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Bear View Post
Balderis' home hockey club, Dinamo Riga, played in the Soviet League from 1946 to 1995. Irbe was also trained under the Soviet system, being born in the USSR & playing for Dinamo from 87-91, as was the younger Ozoliņš, who played for Dinamo 90-92. I don't think there's any way you can divorce Latvian hockey from Soviet & post-Soviet Russian hockey. When Dinamo was reestablished in 2008, it was in order to join the KHL, dominated by old Soviet league & Russian Superleague teams. I'm not sure Latvia would necessarily qualify as a non-traditional country, in this sense.
If anything Latvia has more tradition than Russia. It's just that it's such a small country.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 07:24 PM
crobro

What about Enver Lisin from Chechnya.

crobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 07:34 PM
ziggo66

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser matias View Post
Kolzig actually doesn't have Canadian citizenship, only German. He also tried to play for Canada at the 1989 WJC, but didn't clue into the fact that he wasn't technically Canadian until he arrived at the training camp:
Interesting story, never heard of that. But even if we consider Kölzig German, he still isn't the best German player ever. That's Erich Kühnhackl. No discussion.

ziggo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 07:36 PM
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by crobro View Post
What about Enver Lisin from Chechnya.
No, he is not from Ch

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 07:37 PM
Den

If Latvia counts, then it is Balderis and by far.

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

It isn't that "Latvia" shouldn't count, it's that players who came from the Soviet system shouldn't count. If there was a 2008 drafted Latvian player, he's not in the same category as Balderis.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 08:40 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
I'll add a few 'interesting places born' to the list... even though non were trained there, and non have a shot at being the best from a non traditional market even if they were.

Craig Adams: Brunei
Rick Chartraw: Paraguay
Claude Vilgrain: Haiti
Jan Benda: Belgium
Ed Kea: Netherlands
Luca Sbisa: Italy
Graeme Townshend: Jamaica
Ryan O'Marra: Japan
Paul MacLean: France
Chris Nielsen: Tanzania
Ed Hatoum: Lebanon

then the Reghrs, Langway, Ndur & Aliu, Thomas & Nolan & Hodge & Smith & Lee. Pretty sure they will have all been mentioned though.

I think the answer is Kopitar, though tbh he is from Jesenice... closer to the Austrian hockey hotbed of Villach than Ljubljana! But still, pretty amazing to come through the Slovenian junior system for pretty much his entire youth career, even if hockey is not that uncommon in that part of Slovenia. His old team sadly folded last year.

Honourable mention to Tony Hand... guy is 46 and still putting up more points than guys like Kovar (4th round draft pick, 29 years old), Bakrlik (30, ex OHL and decent in the UHL) ex AHLer Lukas Smital etc.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2013, 02:13 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Just remembered one guy who always looks pretty damn good in IIHF tournaments, and better than most of the Canadian dual guys who play for the team and in his league. Though he is nowhere near NHL standard ofc.

Alexander Egger of Italy.

Though in the South Tyrol region I reckon Ice Hockey is the No.1 sport! Only 3 of the 11 teams who have played in the Italian top league recently are not from German speaking areas of Italy.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 05:01 PM
weklof

Quote:
Originally Posted by diligent_d View Post
Are you intending where players were born, or where they developed?
I was thinking more of where they were developed. Players born outside there "country of origin" is trivia at best. I mean Robyn Regher was born in Brazil, but I don't think anyone considers him Brazilian.

I got the idea when I was bored one day and browsed through the "Career Points" site on NHL.com and filtered by country of birth. I realized that there currently are quite a few players from outside the big 7 nations. Vanek & Grabner (Austria), Grabovski (Belarus), 8 danes, Roussel & da Costa (France), Girgensons (Latvia), Zuccarello (Norway), Kopitar (Slovenia) etc.

I was basically wondering which were the greatest players ever (as in were developed) from the "lesser" nations.

After reading the thread I kinda agree that Balderis and other players trained in the former USSR probably shouldn't count as they are not the product of the hockey programs of a smaller hockey nation.

weklof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 03:31 PM
cutchemist42

Was thinking of goalies, but I guess Irbe is considered developed under a Soviet program right? Huet would be up there for goalies.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote