HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sather the worst GM in all of sports?

Old
01-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Its a PP Goal

vCash: 500
Sather hasn't done a thing since the Oilers dynasty ended. His teams made the second round twice and thats it. Every other time they were either one and done or they missed the playoffs. Does this sound like a good GM to anyone?

And that's not a good sign for Ranger fans. We resemble his mid-late 90's Oilers teams. Offense first, defense secondary and we rely on our goalie to make ridiculous saves. Sather's teams are fun to watch but they'll never win.

Its a PP Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 12:06 PM
bleedrngrblue

Gotta disagree! The worst GM list in all of sports starts with Matt Millen, the Detroit Lions GM. Great player....atrocious GM, and there are several NHL GMs ahead of Sather worth mentioning, including former Isles GM Mad Mike Milbury. Sather isn't the best, but he is far from the worst, and has a knack for pulling off excellent trades, and drafted some pretty good players along the way. How bout that deal with the Caps for a certain Mr. Jagr?

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 08:23 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
There are plenty of worse GMs in sports...like Isiah Thomas and....maybe it's just them actually...

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 08:39 PM
Fletch

Sather's not the worst...

he's up there with the worst that have been able to keep a job for that long, however.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 09:22 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I agree with Matt Millen and Isaiah Thomas as the worst. Sather isn't great but he's nothing like those two.

NYR94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 10:26 PM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
That is one of the most depressing things I've read in a long time.

Is this what we've been reduced to? Thanking God that we have a GM who has managed one playoff humiliation in a 7-year tenure?
I suppose so, lol.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 06:13 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
Gotta disagree! The worst GM list in all of sports starts with Matt Millen, the Detroit Lions GM. Great player....atrocious GM, and there are several NHL GMs ahead of Sather worth mentioning, including former Isles GM Mad Mike Milbury. Sather isn't the best, but he is far from the worst, and has a knack for pulling off excellent trades, and drafted some pretty good players along the way. How bout that deal with the Caps for a certain Mr. Jagr?
That deal with a certain Mr. Jagr was because there was no cap then and we were flinging money that other teams weren't. This is not an indication of being a good GM. Are you saying he pulled off a great trade with outstanding cunning? He bought a player. You could have done that too. Maybe you could be GM.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 06:54 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
That deal with a certain Mr. Jagr was because there was no cap then and we were flinging money that other teams weren't. This is not an indication of being a good GM. Are you saying he pulled off a great trade with outstanding cunning? He bought a player. You could have done that too. Maybe you could be GM.
How come no one else got Jagr then? People within the league threw caution into the wind expecting a new economic environment, see how many teams in contention stockpiled for a Cup run. The Rangers only gave up Anson Carter and only had to pay 1/2 his salary...that is a GREAT deal.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 08:03 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
I agree with Matt Millen and Isaiah Thomas as the worst. Sather isn't great but he's nothing like those two.
Really? What's the difference? If Jackass is not the worst, then he is in the running for the runner-up award.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 08:26 AM
natureboy*

Which GM has a worse drafting record than him since he got here?[/QUOTE]

Well said. This guy is one of the worse GM's in all of sports. THe interest in trading Prucha clearly illustrates it.

natureboy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Evilo

vCash: 632
Sather's drafting record is nothing new.

Here's a quote of a post I made a while back about the Oilers' drafting record :

Quote:
I'm not sure who is the biggest bust of all time, but I'd say Edmonton's run from 1982 to 2000 in the first round is the most unimpressive of all time IMO.

1982 Jim Playfair (20th) -> 21 NHL games

1983 Jeff Beukeboom (19th) -> good pick

1984 Selmar Odelein (21st ) -> 18 NHL games

1985 Scott Metcalfe (20th) -> 19 NHL games

1986 Kim Issel (21st) -> 4 NHL games

1987 Peter Soberlak (21st) -> 0 NHL game

1988 Francois Leroux (19th) -> had an OK career (200 games) but not first rounder worthy.

1989 Jason Soules (15th) -> 0 NHL game

1990 Scott Allison (17th) -> 0 NHL game

1991 Tyler Wright (12th) -> good career (600 games) but not first round worthy.
1991 Martin Rucinsky (20th) -> good pick

1992 Joe Hulbig (13th) -> 55 NHL games

1993 Jason Arnott (7th) -> good pick
1993 Nick Stajduhar (13th) -> 2 NHL games

1994 Jason Bonsignore (4th) -> 79 NHL games
1994 Ryan Smyth (6th) -> good pick

1995 Steve Kelly (6th) -> 147 NHL games (20+ points)

1996 Boyd Devereaux (6th) -> OK career, not first rounder worthy.
1996 Matthieu Descoteaux (19th) -> 5 NHL games

1997 Michel Riesen (14th) -> 12 NHL games

1998 Michael Henrich (13th) -> 0 NHL game

1999 Jani Rita (13th) -> 66 NHL games

Incredible run, huh?
19 drafts, 23 first rounders, 4 good picks, 4 under average picks, 15 busts. And that's with a good stretch picking in the top 10.
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=6235948&postcount=29

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 08:55 AM
crisb

He is up there, but another GM in Ny, is Isiah, and former Islanders, Milbury.

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 10:34 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
How come no one else got Jagr then? People within the league threw caution into the wind expecting a new economic environment, see how many teams in contention stockpiled for a Cup run. The Rangers only gave up Anson Carter and only had to pay 1/2 his salary...that is a GREAT deal.
No one wanted to take on the financial burden and perhaps there was some fear about his gambling and tax trouble. A trade is when both teams think they are getting the best of it. You think McPhee thought he was getting the best of it? Do you think there was a GM in hockey who didn't know that Jagr was among the top 5 players in hockey? Do you think Edmonton thought they were pulling off fast ones when they traded Gretzky and Messier?

A great deal is when players you acquire pan out a lot better than the ones you traded, with no side considerations. It's when one GM thinks he is beating another. The following were great trades, or horrible ones, depending on which side you were:
  • Hasek was traded to the Buffalo Sabres for goalie Stephane Beauregard and future considerations, which later materialized into a draft pick used to obtain Eric Daze.
  • Middleton-Hodge
  • Phil Esposito traded to Boston by Chicago with Ken Hodge and Fred Stanfield for Pit Martin, Jack Norris, and Gilles Marotte
  • Teemu Selanne for Oleg Tverdovsky
  • Brett Hull, along with Steve Bozek to St. Louis for Rob Ramage and Rick Wamsley
  • Alek Stojanov for Markus Naslund
  • Chara and Spezza for Yashin
  • Theo Fleury for Rene Corbet
  • Leafs get D Tom Kurvers from New Jersey for a first round pick (Scott Niedermayer)
  • The Vancouver Canucks traded Cam Neely and a first-round pick to Boston for Barry Pederson
  • The Red Wings traded Adam Oates and Paul MacLean to the Blues for Bernie Federko and Tony McKegney
  • The Red Wings traded the rights to Marcel Dionne and defenseman Bart Crashley to Los Angeles for Terry Harper and Dan Maloney

Sather is a total disaster as a GM.

Old
01-15-2007, 11:30 AM
McRanger

Are we really arguing whether a Hall of Fame GM whos teams went to 8 conference finals in 10 years, winning 5 Stanley Cups, is the worst GM ever? Or are we just talking the worst current GM? Either way, there has got to be someone worse.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 12:15 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
On top of the aforementioned Millen and Thomas, there's also Bill Bavasi out in Seattle, who has made some, uh, questionable moves recently.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 03:07 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Are we really arguing whether a Hall of Fame GM whos teams went to 8 conference finals in 10 years, winning 5 Stanley Cups, is the worst GM ever? Or are we just talking the worst current GM? Either way, there has got to be someone worse.
If you want to argue he was a great coach for that accomplishment you'd have somewhat of an argument although I'd say the team was pretty loaded. As a GM he had only one great draft in his entire career. I don't remember the year but I think he got Kurri, Coffey and maybe Lowe. I forget.

He did not draft Gretzky or Messier, by far the biggest reasons for the team's great run.

His time with the Rangers seems to indicate he stepped in ***** to be where he was in Edmonton when he was there unless you believe his faculties have greatly diminished. I've never heard that before but I suppose the "genius" may have become the village idiot.

Old
01-15-2007, 04:11 PM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
I agree with you. I agree that they ARE hurting the team but my point is that Sather is not the WORST gm in Hockey, never mind Sports.
I didn't say Sather was the worst, I said you can make the argument that he's the worst, which I did. The fact that we're including him in the same discussion as Milbury, Thomas and Millen proves he's at the very least AMONGST the worst GM's in all of sports, if not in fact the worst. And Milbury isn't even a GM anymore, so Sather is in the bottom three.

So this is what we're stuck with, ONE of the worst GM's in all of sports. Wonderful. Not only that, with Dolan in charge Sather has the keys to our kingdom until he decides to leave, and I don't think he's leaving any time soon. What a great time it is to be a Ranger fan.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 05:32 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Thpmas & Milbury have to be ahead. Even though mad Mike is not the official GM on the Island he still was bad.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 07:29 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
I'm pro Bush. So We could argue this to death but lets not based on this is a HfBoards.
uggh

And back to the topic, Sather sucks... just like Bush. Sorry but there is no argument on either front.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Fletch

AJ...

we all have our opinions on everything, but a fair amount of opinions can be argued, since so many of them are based on assumptions (especially when it comes to politics, perhaps a bit less when it comes to the GM of a hockey team, but it can be argued).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 06:10 AM
wedge

tou guys never had to suffer the years of Rejean Houle. I had the impressions that he accepted trades that were accepted in the game NHL 95. lol

Houle destroyed an ok hockey team.

It took us five years before we started having another decent team. At least, your Rangers have good potential. He was able to correct some of his mistakes by himself. I don't think you're far from having a great team.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 07:37 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Thpmas & Milbury have to be ahead. Even though mad Mike is not the official GM on the Island he still was bad.
What made Milbury terrible was his trading. At the draft table he did a good job.

Old
01-16-2007, 05:22 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
we all have our opinions on everything, but a fair amount of opinions can be argued, since so many of them are based on assumptions (especially when it comes to politics, perhaps a bit less when it comes to the GM of a hockey team, but it can be argued).
I only look at facts, but I'll leave it at that.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
What made Milbury terrible was his trading. At the draft table he did a good job.
Speaking of the draft table - I wonder what was going through Slats mind watching Parise & Zajac on the ice last night....

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 04:17 PM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Speaking of the draft table - I wonder what was going through Slats mind watching Parise & Zajac on the ice last night....
I'm guessing "Opps, my Bad"

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote