HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zuccarello Appreciation Thread Part 2

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-30-2013, 04:16 PM
  #201
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers
 
Mats Zuccarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint View Post
Thought he played a weak game last night by his usual standards, but it's quite obvious he's been the team's best overall forward since his arrival from Russia.
...Wait, what?

Mats Zuccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 04:18 PM
  #202
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers
 
Mats Zuccarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laista View Post
A local pizzaplace in MODO (Ornskoldsvik) had Näslund, Forsberg, Sedin Twins and Zucc in commercial.
Check out the dishboy

Haha, that's awesome. Zucc, the busboy

Mats Zuccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 04:37 PM
  #203
TigerJack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country:
Posts: 815
vCash: 500
- Mats Zuccarello has become a full blown star

TigerJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 04:44 PM
  #204
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerJack View Post
.....aaaand just like that. His outstanding play for a month gets overblown

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 05:33 PM
  #205
PromNite
Armed Android
 
PromNite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,754
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I dont disagree, and thats great for him. But its also a huge reason this team is only .500
I understand where you're coming from as well. But at least this dude gives me something fun to watch each night. I am just celebrating a player for his badassery while trying to ignore how awful our underperforming stars have been.

__________________


Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 05:33 PM
  #206
Raspewtin
Early To The Party
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerJack View Post
Sigh.

That didn't take long.

Edit: Okay, except for the actual title, there's no real overrating in the article. Pretty good article, really. Just telling us what we already know.

__________________
Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 05:54 PM
  #207
trilobyte
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 12,543
vCash: 500
As mentioned by a few posters, Zuccs was never expected to be the best forward. Back when he first appeared, I liked what I saw. What I saw was a young player who wanted to succeed.

No matter what arguments come up, they all circle back to the fact that the Rangers do not have the pieces they need. Zuccarello is a valuable piece. The fact that he plays a prime role points out two things:
1. He is good. Sign the guy and keep him.
2. We need more pieces.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 06:06 PM
  #208
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,891
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
.....aaaand just like that. His outstanding play for a month gets overblown
Lock him up 8 years

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 07:24 PM
  #209
Idlerlee
Always play Richards
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oslo, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
But when those guys are your 2 best forwards, the rest of the team and its record are in trouble.
A case could be made that both their productions would be even higher if Richards and Nash had done what they in particular are paid to do. Same goes with Captain Glassahan and Stepan.

St. Louis broke out with 70 points. Zucca is on pace for 57 with a Rangers team that are being lead in scoring by a rookie who didnt even make the team out of camp. Or more interestingly, if he continues the production since the scratch he could very well end up at 70.


Now obviously he isnt St. Louis, he especially lacks the deathly finish. But from a fan standpoint its really fun to see a typical underdog at least partially live up to the hype.

Anyway this is only a lot of what if's, we can sum up the tally when the season ends

Idlerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 07:28 PM
  #210
NYRangers723
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,642
vCash: 500
Is Zucc a RFA at teh end of the year?

NYRangers723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 07:30 PM
  #211
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people
 
Brendan Shanahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers723 View Post
Is Zucc a RFA at teh end of the year?
Yes.

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 07:32 PM
  #212
NYRangers723
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Shanahan View Post
Yes.

Ok good

NYRangers723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 08:48 PM
  #213
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlerlee View Post
A case could be made that both their productions would be even higher if Richards and Nash had done what they in particular are paid to do. Same goes with Captain Glassahan and Stepan.

St. Louis broke out with 70 points. Zucca is on pace for 57 with a Rangers team that are being lead in scoring by a rookie who didnt even make the team out of camp. Or more interestingly, if he continues the production since the scratch he could very well end up at 70.


Now obviously he isnt St. Louis, he especially lacks the deathly finish. But from a fan standpoint its really fun to see a typical underdog at least partially live up to the hype.

Anyway this is only a lot of what if's, we can sum up the tally when the season ends
And we'll come up with the same solution, that this team doesn't have many very good to great hockey players. Zuccarello and Kreider are playing really well now, at the expense of players that used to play really well in a different system and coach. And we've got quite a few players that, quite frankly, have never played well at the NHL level.

We're all set with "wingers that'd be really really good players with a franchise-level center" though -- which one can argue is that easiest thing to be "all-set with." But yea, Zuccarello is cool, great, lets keep him.

And lets talk about him instead of the franchise center, bottom 6 depth, and defensemen this team needs. I feel like this is a soap opera. Zucs is Tyrion Lannister.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 11:00 PM
  #214
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
And lets talk about him instead of the franchise center, bottom 6 depth, and defensemen this team needs. I feel like this is a soap opera. Zucs is Tyrion Lannister.
A.) This is a Zuccarello thread. Why troll with the above? What else are we supposed to talk about in this thread?
B.) He's exceeding expectations against considerable odds, given his size. Wouldn't hurt to give the guy some credit
C.) The Rangers dysfunction at the GM level isn't really something that MZA has much to do with.
D.) Time for you to find a new whipping boy. This one has earned his get out of jail free card.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 11:19 PM
  #215
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
.....aaaand just like that. His outstanding play for a month gets overblown
As was already mentioned, except for the title (which some editor probably inserted) it's a very accurate article. Quite a nice read actually.

BRB, while I normally agree with you--you're taking your over all criticism of the team way beyond what's necessary here. Zuccarello has been fun to watch, productive too. It's nice to see him make it happen.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 11:33 PM
  #216
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
A.) This is a Zuccarello thread. Why troll with the above? What else are we supposed to talk about in this thread?
B.) He's exceeding expectations against considerable odds, given his size. Wouldn't hurt to give the guy some credit
C.) The Rangers dysfunction at the GM level isn't really something that MZA has much to do with.
D.) Time for you to find a new whipping boy. This one has earned his get out of jail free card.
Because that's where BRB gets his jollies from. Have you not been on this board enough? We can't praise anyone on the Rangers and have to **** on everyone. There's objectivity and there's being a hater. Bleeds Rangers blue, my ass.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 11:36 PM
  #217
Raspewtin
Early To The Party
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,819
vCash: 500
Unfortunately, BRB has a big point that it's really bad that Zuccarello is our best player.

I definitely enjoy seeing him flourish, and he's a very exciting player to watch, but jesus christ is this team underperforming badly.

It's a vicious, never ending cycle. We always have a few surprises every year, but those surprises wind up carrying the team instead of complimenting good players. And every year those good players fall off a ****ing cliff, and it's let go because other players have stepped up in their absence.

I'm really tired of it.

Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 11:52 PM
  #218
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Unfortunately, BRB has a big point that it's really bad that Zuccarello is our best player.

I definitely enjoy seeing him flourish, and he's a very exciting player to watch, but jesus christ is this team underperforming badly.

It's a vicious, never ending cycle. We always have a few surprises every year, but those surprises wind up carrying the team instead of complimenting good players. And every year those good players fall off a ****ing cliff, and it's let go because other players have stepped up in their absence.

I'm really tired of it.
Then he should take it to a different thread. Are we not allowed to praise Zuccarello in his own thread? This is borderline trolling. I actually HATE how militant the mods are about threads going slightly off topic, but an appreciation thread about Zucc becoming a "***** about the team thread" is more than slightly off topic. His act is just getting tired. It's all the same thing in every post. I do that with Lundqvist sometimes, but at least I only keep it to GDTs. He *****es about everyone and strikes anyone that says a nice thing about a player down, insulting them because he has a holier than thou attitude about him being a superior fan to everyone else because of his "objectivity". When all it is is pessimism. If his opinion were correct we'd be worse than Buffalo this year.


Last edited by SnowblindNYR: 12-31-2013 at 08:51 AM.
SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 04:28 AM
  #219
Fanned On It
Registered User
 
Fanned On It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Then he should take it to a different thread. Are we not allowed to praise Zuccarello in his own thread? This is borderline trolling. I actually HATE how militant the mods are about threads going slightly off topic, but an appreciation thread about Zucc becoming a "***** about the team thread" is more than slightly off topic. His act is just getting tired. It's all the same thing in every post. I do that with Lundqvist sometimes, but at least I only keep it to GDTs. He *****es about everyone and strikes anyone that says a nice thing about a player down, insulting them because he has a holier than thou attitude about him being a superior fan to everyone else because of his "objectivity". When all it is is pessimism. Is his opinion were correct we'd be worse than Buffalo this year.
While it's nice to read and I agree with your point, this post is ironic coming from you. But the first step is admitting you have a problem, right!?

Anyway... I'm loving Zucc this season. The guy is playing his ass off. What amazes me is how damn effective he is on the forecheck with that small body of his. I've seen him get on opposing defensemen behind the other team's goal-line and strip them of the puck time and time again using smart body positioning and checking. It's amazing how effective he can be for being such small guy. He's also been making great passes to the slot and should have a few more assists if not for the fact that our team can't finish.

The one knock I have on Zucc right now is that his wrist-shot/snap-shot from medium-range is pretty weak. It seems odd for any NHL'er to have such a weak wrist-shot from the high-slot these days which I guess is why I'm able to notice it when Zucc shoots from there. I don't know if this is something he can improve at this point in his career but damn he would be THAT much better if he was a sniping threat from the high-slot.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 04:39 AM
  #220
KenGuru
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oslo, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 267
vCash: 500
When I look at photoes/videos of Mats 2 years ago I think he looked a little fat/unshaped. But now he seems more fit/shaped. I wonder if he has been ordered to change his diet from Roy Johansen or anyone in the NYR-staff. Maybe he has increased his weight-training but he also seem faster on his skates.

KenGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 04:47 AM
  #221
anofsti
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Norway
Posts: 261
vCash: 679
I think it's partially getting rid of the puppy fat (see Lindros), and partially getting his excersise ethics on order.

anofsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 05:29 AM
  #222
TigerJack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country:
Posts: 815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Unfortunately, BRB has a big point that it's really bad that Zuccarello is our best player.

I definitely enjoy seeing him flourish, and he's a very exciting player to watch, but jesus christ is this team underperforming badly.

It's a vicious, never ending cycle. We always have a few surprises every year, but those surprises wind up carrying the team instead of complimenting good players. And every year those good players fall off a ****ing cliff, and it's let go because other players have stepped up in their absence.

I'm really tired of it.
I totally understand the point that when Zucc is the best player on the team, there is a problem. When you see a roster with Callahan, Richards and Nash, and Zucc is (by far) the best player amongst these, there is of course a problem.

But if you look at it the other way; could you imagine his production if the rest of the team actually played as good as expected? Zucc has almost a point/game since the scratch, for a team that is one of the lowest scoring teams in the NHL. That is impressive.

There is no doubt that he could be a consistent top 6 forward for this team, also when (if?) it eventuall becomes a serious contender.

TigerJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 06:54 AM
  #223
Sticky Fingers
Registered User
 
Sticky Fingers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Then he should take it to a different thread. Are we not allowed to praise Zuccarello in his own thread? This is borderline trolling. I actually HATE how militant the mods are about threads going slightly off topic, but an appreciation thread about Zucc becoming a "***** about the team thread" is more than slightly off topic. His act is just getting tired. It's all the same thing in every post. I do that with Lundqvist sometimes, but at least I only keep it to GDTs. He *****es about everyone and strikes anyone that says a nice thing about a player down, insulting them because he has a holier than thou attitude about him being a superior fan to everyone else because of his "objectivity". When all it is is pessimism. Is his opinion were correct we'd be worse than Buffalo this year.
Well spoken. So irritating.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 08:56 AM
  #224
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
While it's nice to read and I agree with your point, this post is ironic coming from you. But the first step is admitting you have a problem, right!?

Anyway... I'm loving Zucc this season. The guy is playing his ass off. What amazes me is how damn effective he is on the forecheck with that small body of his. I've seen him get on opposing defensemen behind the other team's goal-line and strip them of the puck time and time again using smart body positioning and checking. It's amazing how effective he can be for being such small guy. He's also been making great passes to the slot and should have a few more assists if not for the fact that our team can't finish.

The one knock I have on Zucc right now is that his wrist-shot/snap-shot from medium-range is pretty weak. It seems odd for any NHL'er to have such a weak wrist-shot from the high-slot these days which I guess is why I'm able to notice it when Zucc shoots from there. I don't know if this is something he can improve at this point in his career but damn he would be THAT much better if he was a sniping threat from the high-slot.
I don't know why it's ironic coming from me. I hold Lundqvist to a higher standard than most because I don't think his great play most of his career makes him immune from criticism (in fact his great play means that his standards are higher than anyone else on this team). BRB trolls every post with his nonsense insulting anyone and everyone that disagrees with him. He thinks that he's a better fan than everyone because he *****es about every player on the team. Then he insults them. Unprovoked called me a "joke" the other day. Wish ****ing ignore didn't let you see quoted posts, as 99% of posts get quoted and completely defeats the purpose of ignore.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 09:10 AM
  #225
NickyFotiu
Registered User
 
NickyFotiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Then he should take it to a different thread. Are we not allowed to praise Zuccarello in his own thread? This is borderline trolling. I actually HATE how militant the mods are about threads going slightly off topic, but an appreciation thread about Zucc becoming a "***** about the team thread" is more than slightly off topic. His act is just getting tired. It's all the same thing in every post. I do that with Lundqvist sometimes, but at least I only keep it to GDTs. He *****es about everyone and strikes anyone that says a nice thing about a player down, insulting them because he has a holier than thou attitude about him being a superior fan to everyone else because of his "objectivity". When all it is is pessimism. If his opinion were correct we'd be worse than Buffalo this year.
Do not let him bother you. He has been dead wrong over and over again with his Zooks hatred. At this point I look at his negativity as a good luck charm. I'd be scared if he becomes positive about Zooks given his prior track record.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.