HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers re-sign Marty Straka-1 year/$3.3 million

Old
01-17-2007, 04:47 PM
shoothepuck

vCash: 500
Good signing, a one year deal, for a guy that's leading the team in goals right now, saves NY from negotiating later.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 04:49 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Great news

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't know. I would like to see Dawes play with Jagr. I'd like to see Prucha play with Jagr. If Straka is going to prevent that from happening (and we know it will) then I don't like the fact that this team's top 6 forwards will still be filled by older vets who aren't going to get any better.
This team doesnt even have a top 6 right now. It's more like a top 4. One reason I thought Cullen was a decent signing during the offseason was that hed be able to slide into his natural role of 3rd line center once Immonen or Dubi stepped up. It's not as if there is a logjam of vet forwards on the top two lines. There are spots for the taking. I agree that it is questionable who gets the most cracks at those spots, but I think the problem is more with the coaching staff there than it is with the players who are currently here.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 05:21 PM
bathgate

Quote:
I don't know. I would like to see Dawes play with Jagr. I'd like to see Prucha play with Jagr. If Straka is going to prevent that from happening (and we know it will) then I don't like the fact that this team's top 6 forwards will still be filled by older vets who aren't going to get any better.
You are a radical! Develop youngsters along side your veterans. A novel idea which is completely foreign to Ranger hierarchy. Perhaps take one step back to take two steps forward. Maloney said it would happen right before the season started. Utter nonsense. The rebuild is a giant hoax. I firmly believe we will stay in mediocrity until the regime is terminated. IMMONEN DID NOT DESERVE DEMOTION.Dawes never had a chance. Pock rides the pine endlessly. Last night Pock shows he may have potential.Give the kids a chance show patience and experience some growing pains. We will be better served. This team is terribly flawed. The youngsters may help.

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Fletch

SBoB..

I do mostly agree. In theory, you sign a guy like Straka because he is a vet that you can plug into somewhere and has a bit of value out there, even with the contract he signed, especially since he signed a 1-year deal. The theory goes that Prucha should get time with Jagr, fail, and then Straka step in, and not the other way around. That's where reality comes in. Perhaps next season will be different. Perhaps next season they'll start to weed in a kid here and there. But again, the theory behind a Straka signing is something with which I agree - it's the coach's ability to then do the right thing is where I start to have problems.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 06:50 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
You are a radical! Develop youngsters along side your veterans. A novel idea which is completely foreign to Ranger hierarchy. Perhaps take one step back to take two steps forward. Maloney said it would happen right before the season started. Utter nonsense. The rebuild is a giant hoax. I firmly believe we will stay in mediocrity until the regime is terminated. IMMONEN DID NOT DESERVE DEMOTION.Dawes never had a chance. Pock rides the pine endlessly. Last night Pock shows he may have potential.Give the kids a chance show patience and experience some growing pains. We will be better served. This team is terribly flawed. The youngsters may help.
I've been a very big and vocal Pock skeptic. That said, I still want to see him play. There is more upside in him playing than there is in someone like Kaspar.

01-17-2007, 07:05 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I do mostly agree. In theory, you sign a guy like Straka because he is a vet that you can plug into somewhere and has a bit of value out there, even with the contract he signed, especially since he signed a 1-year deal. The theory goes that Prucha should get time with Jagr, fail, and then Straka step in, and not the other way around. That's where reality comes in. Perhaps next season will be different. Perhaps next season they'll start to weed in a kid here and there. But again, the theory behind a Straka signing is something with which I agree - it's the coach's ability to then do the right thing is where I start to have problems.
When Straka (and Nylander, Malik and Rozsival) were signed they were mentioned on this board as stop-gap guys. Fast forward a year and a half and they are still entrenched as big time guys for this team. And they have added Shanahan and Cullen. Right now there is a second year, former 30 goal scorer playing on the 4th line. Straka has been a very good Ranger. But what, really is his upside on this team? The fact that Straka (and Nylander, Malik and Shanahan) are playing such an important role on this team means one of two things:

1) Either the prospects in this system are so far from being ready that there is no choice. And that would mean that Sather has really done nothing to improve the farm system of this team despite 7 years, 7 drafts and one trade deadline purge that saw one of the best players this team has ever had unceremoniously shipped out of town, than his predecessor did.

or

2) The whole rebuilding thing was one big lie and this administration has no desire to build a team from within.

Personally I think it's been a combination of the two. They just got lucky last season and managed to throw a starving fanbase a playoff crumb.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 07:57 PM
gaglinefan

Marty Straka

Very good signing; the guy is playing like an All Star. He hustles every night. Straka has real skill and work ethic with experience, just what we want for our team.
A fan on another thread pointed out that we are still in the process of building a winning team, I agree. Let's stay with it, get thru the embarassing losses and cheer the good wins. Go Blue!!!

gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Chimp

Ok, I'm getting real scared now. What's the hatred about Nylander here? He's frigging 14th in the league in scoring with less games played and has been absolutely wonderful for the Rangers this year. He is a part of the best line in the entire league and people want to get rid of him? ***? Do you actually think some random bum will produce what Nylander has? Yeah, sure, let's place Betts, Ward, Hollweg, Hall or some frigging other grinder bum up there and watch the whole line detoriate. Do you think anyone can produce his world class puck control at his salary standard? What games have you been watching? And as a matter of fact, Nylander loves playing hockey. He's not some money leecher, you should have learnt that by now. Look at his frigging money/production. He produces like crazy.

If you claim Nylander is some overpaid loser, you can frankly all go to hell, according to my standards. If you think making the average age of this team turn into 22 will solve anything, you do not have my sympathies.

If you think Straka can replace Nylander at center for Jagr, you have exceeded my expectation of a knowledgable hockey fan (where have you been the last decade? Straka is a much worse center than winger!). They're completely different hockey players. Those who feel offended by this post, good, you deserve it.

If you want to discredit the work Nylander has done for this crappy team, don't look at me to raise my hand. It's as simple as I will put it.

As for the original statement of this post, great, Straka has resigned with Rangers, which is great. He's an undervalued, skilled hockey player with great work ethics. The thing that still upsets me though is how some people still think Nylander is part of the problem here. Jesus Christ.

And for the second part, what's the frigging deal with "don't sign Shanahan"? Yeah, right, let's not sign one of the best impact players this team has had for years to come. As long as he feels he has positive things to give this team, frigging sign him. I (hopefully) hope management won't listen to your bitter rants.

Let's keep the overpaid salaries for our crappy defense instead, yeah, let's not mention anything about that, right?

You made this honour thread about Straka turn into some pie throwing thread about Nylander and Shanahan, some of the few who has actually done what they were supposed to do and more. Shame on you. You frankly make me sick. Once again, if you feel hit, you deserve it, tenfold.

Last edited by Chimp: 01-17-2007 at 08:41 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 08:22 PM
Choice

Quote:
1) Either the prospects in this system are so far from being ready that there is no choice. And that would mean that Sather has really done nothing to improve the farm system of this team despite 7 years, 7 drafts and one trade deadline purge that saw one of the best players this team has ever had unceremoniously shipped out of town, than his predecessor did.

or

2) The whole rebuilding thing was one big lie and this administration has no desire to build a team from within.

Personally I think it's been a combination of the two. They just got lucky last season and managed to throw a starving fanbase a playoff crumb.

It's pretty apparent Sather did nothing aside from a few diamond in the rough draft picks (see Henrik & Tyutin) to build the farm system before the purge. It's also been apparent that most of the players he acquired during that time are roleplayers and not franchise cornerstones. That being said, it is still too early to say how those players drafted because of the purge turned out, and I think most would agree that there is no prospect in Hartford just begging to be called up (although I too would like to see Dawes again).

Old
01-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
But again, the theory behind a Straka signing is something with which I agree - it's the coach's ability to then do the right thing is where I start to have problems.
Agree with this. Straka is welcome on my team any day, rebuilding or not.

Old
01-17-2007, 08:32 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Ok, I'm getting real scared now. What's the hatred about Nylander here? He's frigging 14th in the league in scoring with less games played and has been absolutely wonderful for the Rangers this year. He is a part of the best line in the entire league and people want to get rid of him? ***? Do you actually think some random bum will produce what Nylander has? Yeah, sure, let's place Betts, Ward, Hollweg, Hall or some frigging other grinder bum up there and watch the whole line detoriate. Do you think anyone can produce his world class puck conrol? What games have you been watching? And as a matter of fact, Nylander loves playing hockey. He's not some money leecher, you should have learnt that by now.

If you claim Nylander is some overpaid loser, you can frankly all go to hell, according to my standards.

If you think Straka can replace Nylander at center for Jagr, you have exceeded my expectations of knowledgable hockey fans. They're completely different hockey players. Those who feel offended by this post, good, you deserve it.

If you want to discredit the work Nylander has done for this crappy team, don't look at me to raise my hand. It's as simple as I will put it.

As for the original statement of this post, great, Straka has resigned with Rangers, which is great. He's an undervalued, skilled hockey player with great work ethics. The thing that still upsets me though is how some people still think Nylander is part of the problem here. Jesus Christ.
I want to get rid of Nylander, and Straka and Jagr and Shanny. I want a true rebuild. Is that wrong?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 08:48 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I want to get rid of Nylander, and Straka and Jagr and Shanny. I want a true rebuild. Is that wrong?
If you can consider your team being the worst in the entire league for 4 years to come, alright. Without the first line, Rangers is the absolute worst in the league, for sure. We're talking about the true bum team here. I wonder if Lundqvist has the patience to continue playing for a team like that as well. Sucking sucks.

I don't see how keeping veterans on the team as long as they're competitive and worth their money is a bad thing. What's the bitterness about keeping the guys who do their job instead of dumping the veterans who don't?

How the frigging heck can competitive veterans be a problem? I thought it was the conservative coaching who refuses to let the younger players actually play on the same level as the others was a problem and not penalizing the veterans who actually suck in the degree that's required.

I actually thought we could agree the Rangers 1st line was the best and most productive money-wise in the entire league, by far. How people want to deconstruct that and turn it into a bad thing is beyond me. You want to put Immonen up there or what at center? But yeah, let's put Straka up there at 1st C and look at his creative work get destroyed by $3.3 million a year. Let's make it a Ranger tradition to misuse a player at what they're actually good at.

I'm actually drunk and truly baffled here. No offense here, of course I'm the offensive guy, but I thought I was the one who was drunk.

Last edited by Chimp: 01-17-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old
01-17-2007, 09:06 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
If you can consider your team being the worst in the entire league for 4 years to come, alright. Without the first line, Rangers is the absolute worst in the league, for sure.
Well I wouldn't be trading them for guys still in Juniors, I'd onl give em up for NHL ready players or true blue-chippers who will soon be ready. The gazillion dollars in cap space we free up could be used to sign a couple guys like Datsyuk and Souray, who in addition to the bounty of NHL ready talent we'd get, would ensure that we're not the worst team for the next four years .

But who cares, it aint happening.

Old
01-17-2007, 09:18 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01172007...rry_brooks.htm

His third one year contract with the Rangers

$3 million for 05-06,$3.1 million for 06-07 and $3.3 million for 07-08
Well deserved. Here is a player who has gotten better with age.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 09:25 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
You've been around as long as I have and we both know that has never, ever been the mindset of this organization, no matter who was in charge. The sole, partial exception was The CAT. Yet once the team had a base of young players he traded one prospect after another for spare parts instead of having a continual feeder system and what happened after the nucleus aged? The crapper. You will never see this organization do a total rebuild. There is far too much money riding on this team in terms of what part it plays in the larger organization which is really a entertainment company. The fact that they own the teams lowers their overhead.

Even though I've been down this road before and I agree very much with your sentiments I still hold out hope that they are being truthful and may do a Francis yet.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Well I wouldn't be trading them for guys still in Juniors, I'd onl give em up for NHL ready players or true blue-chippers who will soon be ready. The gazillion dollars in cap space we free up could be used to sign a couple guys like Datsyuk and Souray, who in addition to the bounty of NHL ready talent we'd get, would ensure that we're not the worst team for the next four years .

But who cares, it aint happening.
Fair enough, I understand your point, but you won't get a "gazillion" of dollars in cap space from dropping Nylander, Shanny and Jagr. It's about $10 million, probably more after a resigning.

Jagr is still 7th in the league in scoring, even when his shoulder has hurt him and he doesn't feel 100%. Shanny still does contribute tons to this team apart of his scoring. Both cost about $4 million. I don't know of many players who will contribute more than those two for their prize (although Jagr comes at a discount). Nylander is one of the most prizeworthy players in the entire league with his $2.2 million in cap spaze, granted his salary will of course rise when he signs a new contract (hence the underpaid statement). I don't think he will claim more than about $3 million though.

Alright, you have a view on how to improve this team (in the future), I have a different view. I think Rangers should release money they have bound up on mediocre defensemen with overpaid salaries instead, if possible.

Old
01-17-2007, 10:02 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Fair enough, I understand your point, but you won't get a "gazillion" of dollars in cap space from dropping Nylander, Shanny and Jagr. It's about $10 million, probably more after a resigning.

Jagr is still 7th in the league in scoring, even when his shoulder has hurt him and he doesn't feel 100%. Shanny still does contribute tons to this team apart of his scoring. Both cost about $4 million. I don't know of many players who will contribute more than those two for their prize (although Jagr comes at a discount). Nylander is one of the most prizeworthy players in the entire league with his $2.2 million in cap spaze, granted his salary will of course rise when he signs a new contract (hence the underpaid statement). I don't think he will claim more than about $3 million though.

Alright, you have a view on how to improve this team (in the future), I have a different view. I think Rangers should release money they have bound up on mediocre defensemen with overpaid salaries instead, if possible.
Yeah man I agree you on most points here. I should have made it clear that along with jettisoning the aforementioned forwards, that we'd all but clean house on defense as well. I'm talking everyone but Tyutin and Pock .

Old
01-17-2007, 10:28 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Straka was signed as a stop gap but he is one of the few free agents in the last 20 years we can say has earned his money and contracts...

He is worth every penny and i'm not to sure what the fuss is over....

Straka might be underpaid...

For all the talk about when this guy and that guy is going to get a shot (and it's a legit question?) it's kinda pointless..

Not to insult anybody but the truth is if Straka wasn't resigned he would be replaced by a free agent...Lets keep the guy that works...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 10:33 PM
polako

Quote:
I don't bring in players with the idea that I can always trade him. I bring in players that I want to be a part of this team. And I don't really think that Straka would be as effective on any other team as he is here.
I think Straka realizes this as well, and that may a factor in why he signed for what amounts to a below market value contract.

Plus, he works hard every night, is a model teammate, and is fairly interchangeable. I'm having a hard time seeing anything wrong with this deal.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Esa 10

I like the signing. The player, the money, the length, everything about it.

As far as how it pertains to the future of this team, I'll have to take a contrarian approach to most that I've read in this thread. If one is displeased with the direction of the franchise, there is only one move that changes it: trading Jagr. As long as he's here, there will be an attempt made by management at going for it, however half-hearted. Jagr isn't an ordinary superstar. He isn't somebody one keeps around while aggressively introducing young players, consequences in the standings be damned. This is just the nature of his personality, unlike some great players he doesn't just suck it up and play. I am not bringing this up in order to disparge Jagr in any way. He's simply different from most players and it would be futile to attempt changing how he behaves. He has every right to be himself. If one wants him in a Rangers uniform, certain accommodations will have to be made.

Where I differ with most, is the question of Straka and Nylander's usefulness without Jagr. I am not going to include Shanny here, simply because there have been no tangible indications of what he wants to do with his future yet. I see Straka/Nylander as the kind of veterans who can be very useful to a young team. You need some vets on a young team. Both guys bring a sterling off-ice work ethic and leave it on the ice in most games. Nylander is a perfect center to ease the introduction of guys like Dawes and Korpikoski to the big league. Straka would make a fine linemate for Dubinsky. You need vets like that.

Of course, the previous paragraph is almost certainly academic, since Jagr isn't going anywhere. What I'm trying to show though is a need for players like Straka even on a young team. Straka, Nylander are not the problem regardless of the direction this club chooses to take. The issue is the rest of the group put together by management. And at some point, if they want to change course, the wishes of superstars like Jagr and Shanny might become a source of tension as well.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 07:17 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
They are a second line center and a stud defenseman away from being a cup contender IMO
And so are 20 other NHL teams.I heard Canucks TV analyst and former NHL goalie John Garrett say when other teams go to the GM Place or the Canucks are on the road,he speaks with the people around the other teams.They all say their team needs another center and defenseman.Join the club

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 07:19 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
The Rangers got Martin Straka at a bargain price when he agreed to the one-year, $3.3-million contract extension first reported in today's Post (clean win by Larry Brooks). One agent told me today that if Straka had waited until becoming an unrestricted free agent July 1, he easily could have attracted a three-year offer worth $4 million per
Quote:
The Rangers, by the way, are not expecting it to be similarly easy or inexpensive to extend Nylander's contract, which also expires at season's end
http://blogs.nydailynews.com/rangers/

Bye,bye Nylander

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 08:10 AM
Kostik

Quote:
If you can consider your team being the worst in the entire league for 4 years to come, alright. Without the first line, Rangers is the absolute worst in the league, for sure. We're talking about the true bum team here. I wonder if Lundqvist has the patience to continue playing for a team like that as well. Sucking sucks.

I don't see how keeping veterans on the team as long as they're competitive and worth their money is a bad thing. What's the bitterness about keeping the guys who do their job instead of dumping the veterans who don't?

How the frigging heck can competitive veterans be a problem? I thought it was the conservative coaching who refuses to let the younger players actually play on the same level as the others was a problem and not penalizing the veterans who actually suck in the degree that's required.

I actually thought we could agree the Rangers 1st line was the best and most productive money-wise in the entire league, by far. How people want to deconstruct that and turn it into a bad thing is beyond me. You want to put Immonen up there or what at center? But yeah, let's put Straka up there at 1st C and look at his creative work get destroyed by $3.3 million a year. Let's make it a Ranger tradition to misuse a player at what they're actually good at.

I'm actually drunk and truly baffled here. No offense here, of course I'm the offensive guy, but I thought I was the one who was drunk.

I'm with you Chimp.
These are HFBoards, for most of the posters if you are 30+ you are done.
And every youngster even when he is crappy should play over better playing vet.
You want to play?You should earn it and outperform others.
NYR without first line would be tanking down deep in the standindgs.
If you wan't to trade this line for blue-chip prospects(and some of them will not pan out as good players anyway), you will suck for 4-5 years maybe.
Checkout Was or Pit, they have Crosby and Ovechkin but they are nowhere from competing team. They will maybe suck for few more years and then when Crosby and Oveckin are UFA's(25 resp 26 years old) they will leave...and what do you have then?Nothing.
NHL is not EHM, i love this game, but it's good to live in reality.

Last edited by Kostik: 01-18-2007 at 08:53 AM. Reason: typo err
Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 08:20 AM
bathgate

The point I'm making is this team focuses on the short term,not long term. Straka is a good guy and hard working. However what happens to Dawes and Prucha. Krog is a mystery. Never shown much. Immonen did not look out of place. The Rangers are known for giving up quickly on potential stars. Middleton,Norstrom, Apps, Bennett, are just a few names. tHE dEVS PLAY Parise, Gionta ,and Gomez as rookies. Why can't we develop Prucha, Immonen et al. SBOB,TB, Atlanta and others are willing to be patient. Many other posters and season ticket holders would also be patient. Give us what we deserve, a foundation to grow. It's frustrating. The purge may have been smoke and mirrors. I was initially sucked in. No more!

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote