HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the Montreal Canadiens a legit Stanley Cup contender?

Old
12-31-2013, 11:11 AM
Edgy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
If so, bring the team back to the repair shop, replace the parts, and then live to fight another day.
The problem is we'll be trading for "potential future" rather than immediate impact and somehow this management doesn't strike me as any different from previous ones in terms of managing assets and getting the right pieces.

We have players like Bouillon, Brière and Parros that have no business being on the team to begin with, a coach that can't coach or stick to a line for more than one shift and bunch of players playing in positions they shouldn't be.

At this point I believe we can get Malkin and still completely screw him up. The change that needs to happen is more than just the players and that is even more far fetched than us ever landing Malkin.

Edgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 11:59 AM
habitue*

Not built for Playoffs hockey yet.

I just hope Price will be as dominant three years down the road than now, because it's gonna take another three years to become real contenders.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 12:01 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy View Post
The problem is we'll be trading for "potential future" rather than immediate impact and somehow this management doesn't strike me as any different from previous ones in terms of managing assets and getting the right pieces.

We have players like Bouillon, Brière and Parros that have no business being on the team to begin with, a coach that can't coach or stick to a line for more than one shift and bunch of players playing in positions they shouldn't be.

At this point I believe we can get Malkin and still completely screw him up. The change that needs to happen is more than just the players and that is even more far fetched than us ever landing Malkin.
Like it or not, these guys are there for the transition period. Bouillon will be gone in fwe months, Parros, too, and Brière has no more than another season to go (hopefully less...).

As for the coach not sticking to lines, I invite you yto watch more NHL games involving other teams.

Old
12-31-2013, 01:39 PM
Edgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habstraction View Post
Like it or not, these guys are there for the transition period. Bouillon will be gone in fwe months, Parros, too, and Brière has no more than another season to go (hopefully less...).
Transition into what? We've had "transiton" players for the past decade. We keep failing to develop young talent and fail to acquire proven talent so we've been stuck in "transition". If that's all that takes to keep you happy, good for you. I want to see a team that can compete and win a cup.

Quote:
As for the coach not sticking to lines, I invite you yto watch more NHL games involving other teams.
Good job on missing the point of the post entirely and just responding with snarly comments that added nothing to the conversation.

Old
12-31-2013, 01:42 PM
Miller Time

Contenders?
Not with our anemic offense, which will be even less effective in the playoffs, especially with the refs putting away the whistles.

Price is dominant enough that, if he gets hot & 1 or 2 fwds play out of their mind (as canny did a few years ago), then sure, we could make a deep run.

Wouldn't bet on it.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 01:50 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy View Post
Transition into what? We've had "transiton" players for the past decade. We keep failing to develop young talent and fail to acquire proven talent so we've been stuck in "transition". If that's all that takes to keep you happy, good for you. I want to see a team that can compete and win a cup.

Good job on missing the point of the post entirely and just responding with snarly comments that added nothing to the conversation.
You know as well as me that Mr.Molson wants his team to make Playoffs, first and above all. The vet players you were mentioning are there for this reason. A team filled with youngsters only would not achieve this primary goal. look at the Edmonton Oilers with all the young forwards they have... Bergevin will take the time needed to build a contender. We might not like the way he is taking, the players he is signing, but we are getting in the right direction even if the path is bumpy.

The team is winning, and THAT is the bottom line. Mr.Molson knows darn well that his arena will be filled and suckers will keep buying beer and hot dogs at ludicrious prices.

Old
12-31-2013, 01:59 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
You know as well as me that Mr.Molson wants his team to make Playoffs, first and above all. The vet players you were mentioning are there for this reason. A team filled with youngsters only would not achieve this primary goal. look at the Edmonton Oilers with all the young forwards they have... Bergevin will take the time needed to build a contender. We might not like the way he is taking, the players he is signing, but we are getting in the right direction even if the path is bumpy.
The Oilers are where they are despite the young talent they have, not because of it. Management over there is just totally incompetent.

As for MB... we can only really credit him on what we've seen. You want to credit him with being patient? That's cool. But his offseason moves were dreadful.

Jury's still out.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 02:04 PM
Habs

I think we should make the playoffs first.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The Oilers are where they are despite the young talent they have, not because of it. Management over there is just totally incompetent.

As for MB... we can only really credit him on what we've seen. You want to credit him with being patient? That's cool. But his offseason moves were dreadful.

Jury's still out.
I agree that his last off season moves look bad. But there was not much on the UFA market, and we will never be sure if some players that are often discussed on this board - like Jagr - would really had signed with the Habs. MB was certainly not thinking that Bournival was NHL ready, like the rest of the Dogs players.

Of course, now, we can all say that Jagr and Brendan Morrow would had been better fits than Brière and Parros. I still believe that Murray could be helpful, and parros is providing some kind of insurance when he is in the line up, which is not often !

Old
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Man, last night was a blow. The bubble really burst. I blame it all on you.

Seriously, I think Bergevin is close to reaching the tipping-point when he has to become a buyer or seller. By February, if this is still where the team is at, then set phasers on 2017 and trade everyone who won't be there to enjoy it. At that point I'm totally on board with leveraging Markov.

And as much as I hate myself for saying this, shop Plekanec. He's my favourite player, one of the very few who never loses a puck race and never gives up, I love the guy to death... but if we can't reach the level of quality he and Markov deserve, give them a home on a real "Now" team like San Jose, St-Louis, maybe even Tampa or Pittsburgh, depending on their injury status.

There's also the draft, but ONLY if we can trade up for a high 1st-round pick. No more mediocre maybes. We've got great depth prospects coming up through the system; one more 20th overall isn't going to fill what's missing. If we have the assets to trade for another team's top-10 pick, do it. If not, trade our own 1st-round pick along with assets for a young top forward. Bergevin has to do anything he can to get a top-six forward on this team!

Let's finish off the rebuild properly and build from the TOP.
Sorry man, I really am.

I came into this season pretty positive... and then we signed Briere. To me that kind of killed the momentum we had going because I really felt like we were on the right track. And really we played reasonably well at first but now?

Just don't know what's wrong because we should be better than we are with this roster. I still feel like catering to DD has seriously hurt us overall and is hurting us in the development of Eller.

Old
12-31-2013, 02:07 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Sorry man, I really am.

I came into this season pretty positive... and then we signed Briere. To me that kind of killed the momentum we had going because I really felt like we were on the right track. And really we played reasonably well at first but now?

Just don't know what's wrong because we should be better than we are with this roster. I still feel like catering to DD has seriously hurt us overall and is hurting us in the development of Eller.

When are you gonna stop thinking that ?

Coaches and management want to win first and above all. They are trying to build a team concept. If they think Eller is no more than a thrid line-two way players, it is probably because he is.

Old
12-31-2013, 02:13 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
When are you gonna stop thinking that ?
When he gets the icetime and linemates that he should.
Quote:
Coaches and management want to win first and above all. They are trying to build a team concept. If they think Eller is no more than a thrid line-two way players, it is probably because he is.
Coaches have all kinds of personal agendas and goals... How the hell do you explain two hours of Bouillion on the PP and one assist to show for it?

Then again, maybe our coach is just a ****ing idiot. I don't know. What I do know is that Eller has outproduced DD significantly when given the same opportunity and is a much better player overall. But we're burying him with ****** linemates and not much in the way of pp time. Meanwhile we keep throwing out DD and our PP slowly dries up.

I can't ****ing explain what MT is thinking because I just don't understand it.

Old
12-31-2013, 02:15 PM
habitue*

Quote:

Coaches have all kinds of personal agendas and goals... How the hell do you explain two hours of Bouillion on the PP and one assist to show for it?

Then again, maybe our coach is just a ****ing idiot. I don't know. What I do know is that Eller has outproduced DD significantly when given the same opportunity and is a much better player overall. But we're burying him with ****** linemates and not much in the way of pp time. Meanwhile we keep throwing out DD and our PP slowly dries up.

He is using Eller against better opponents because he is a better all around two-way player than DD. Clone Eller then if you want him on every lines !

I never heard Eller complaining about his ice-time and duties.

Old
12-31-2013, 02:17 PM
Andy

There were two moves that needed to be made for the Canadiens to be a competitor (especially with Price playing so damn well) at least in the East along side Boston and Pittsburgh. The competition in the east got even easier now that Boston has had to endure some serious injuries, namely one to Seidenberg who is a key component of Boston's shutdown game.

With the signing of Briere, I think the ship has sailed for this year. Unless the Canadiens can magically unload one of Briere and DD and replace either with a scoring RW winger with a little bit of sandpaper or ability to win battles on the wall (doesn't have to be a premier powerforward, two options were available in Jagr and MacAurthur this summer), the Canadiens can be in a little better position.

However, they still need help on D and I don't think Bergevin is willing to spend assets on both a forward and a D-man, hell he's reluctant to pay the price to fix one these holes. That is why there Briere signing is such a **** off. There we a couple of opportunities this summer for the Canadiens to fill a hole without wasting assets (except cap space of course), but instead Bergevin chose to sign the exact opposite of what the team needed. The Canadiens would have been in a better position if come deadline time, they would only need to trade assets to secure the defense. Now, there is no way Bergevin pays the price to fill the hole on the back end and up front.

I really feel as though an opportunity to take advantage a window was lost and I am disappointed not only in Bergevin's inability to read or see that window open up, but also his inability to act accordingly and take advantage of it.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 02:19 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
He is using Eller against better opponents because he is a better all around two-way player than DD. Clone Eller then if you want him on every lines !
Eller should get some of that easier icetime. He's got more upside than DD and Max would be more productive with him. Both are solid two way players. No reason not to give some offensive opportunities to Eller.

Instead we shelter the hell out of DD...
Quote:
I never heard Eller complaining about his ice-time and duties.
That means he's happy about it? It means we're doing a good job developing him?

I don't know man, I think we're wasting his talents right now.

Old
12-31-2013, 03:35 PM
Lady Macbeth
La Reine des Neiges

vCash: 444
Not at all. I think there's a chance we could win a playoff series or two, depending on who we face. I also wouldn't necessarily consider it a complete shock if we upset our way into the cup finals.

We would get completely mauled by whoever the western champion was though.

Lady Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 03:38 PM
icerocket

Short answer: No

Long Answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 05:01 PM
Edgy

Quote:

Here's a thought I can completely agree with. I would also add Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Subban to the list of players that MT handles in a mind boggling way.

Old
12-31-2013, 11:20 PM
digmor crusher

If anyone thinks we are a contender we need to institute an IQ test to post on this forum.

digmor crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 11:57 PM
SirClintonPortis
ProudCapitalsTraitor

Quote:

Therrien is just a guy who can't see that character doesn't translate perfectly to effective. Bouillon and DD don't even fit his grinding vision but he plays the living **** out of them like Bouillon is a Norris winner and Desharnais a ****ing 100 pt center. The only plausible explanation is that they got on his good side and wrecked any analysis his brain does. He IS capable of figuring out things when he doesn't have rose-colored glasses on, like with Briere, but he turns a complete blind eye to guys who get completely on his good side.

SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 08:03 AM
jacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Short answer: No

Long Answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
The only answer is NO.

jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 08:15 AM
DAChampion

We're not a contender, but we're not far off.

If Desharnais, Briere, Gionta, Bouillon can all be removed from the roster this summer, we could really make some noise next year.

Unfortunately, Bergevin is in the GM's chair, so we're probably far off from contention, much further than the roster implies. Bergevin just doesn't come off as having the tools needed to close the deal.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 08:17 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

It's such a shame that we didn't end up with a better first round pick last season, because we could have really used a high-end talent injection. Looks like this season we'll likely get another middling pick as well.

Let that mediocrity flow through your vains people, it's not going anywhere anytime soon! Especially with that idiot behind the bench. Even Martin was better than this **** show.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 12:33 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
We're not a contender, but we're not far off.

If Desharnais, Briere, Gionta, Bouillon can all be removed from the roster this summer, we could really make some noise next year.

Unfortunately, Bergevin is in the GM's chair, so we're probably far off from contention, much further than the roster implies. Bergevin just doesn't come off as having the tools needed to close the deal.
So we are 4 moves away from being a contender, in a league where making 1 move seems impossible.....

It's going to be a slow process, and I don't think MB is the right man for the job anyways.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 01:31 PM
habfaninvictoria

To be a contender a team needs depth, size, character and goaltending and great special teams. So we're 3/5 there.

Can we change this? Yes.

Will it happen? No

The biggest impedance we have is DD. He's getting points so we can't bury him in the minors and we have no compliance buyouts available. Teams might be willing to trade for him if Patches was included....NO. Without him in the lineup Eller and Patches would be a devastating pairing IMO. Trade Diaz + good prospect + DD (they have a compliance buyout left) for Jagr and put him with Pleks. NJD aren't making the playoffs and he's a good asset.

The forwards could then be.

AGally/Pleks/Jagr
Patches/Eller/BGally
Bourque/Prust/Gionta
Bournival/White/Moen
Parros/Briere

This is a significant upgrade on what we have have proven they can work through it and AGally gives them a bit of size. Patches Eller Gally would be fun to watch. A veteran 3rd line with some grit, and a 4th line that can generate energy. Parros can come in when we play goony teams and Briere can platoon with 4th line dependant on need.

On D it's pretty obvious Cube is a weakness. For whatever reason he's on the PP, mostly probaby because Emelin is more suited to the PK. Sit Cube down and go get a dman before the deadline.

Markov Emelin
PK Tinordi
Gorges ????
Pateryn

We won't win the cup, but we'll win a round (maybe 2) and given the our younger core more valuable playoff experience for when can contend.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote