HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers re-sign Marty Straka-1 year/$3.3 million

Old
01-18-2007, 07:34 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
I'm with you Chimp.
These are HFBoards, for most of the posters if you are 30+ you are done.
And every youngster even when he is crappy should play over better playing vet.
You want to play?You should earn it and outperform others.
NYR without first line would be tanking down deep in the standindgs.
If you wan't to trade this line for blue-chip prospects(and some of them will not pan out as good players anyway), you will suck for 4-5 years maybe.
Checkout Was or Pit, they have Crosby and Ovechkin but they are nowhere from competing team. They will maybe suck for few more years and then when Crosby and Oveckin are UFA's(25 resp 26 years old) they will leave...and what do you have then?Nothing.
NHL is EHM, i love this game, but it's good to live in reality.
It is good to live in reality but we suck now. Do not let a 3 game win streak wipe out the previous 5 game losing streak. And this is with our great *line* that should never be broken up. What that line does is detrimental to the whole team. We need Jagr's boys. This team will never be a team until Jagr is gone. Until we can ice a team without saying well we need to get him Rosie, Straks, Nyllet, Malik we will not be a competing team.

Give me Ranger hockey back. It does not mean getting grinders. What happened to talented players who gave a damn? Mess, Graves, Leetch, Richter etc. Shanny was a start that will be quick to end because his road is winding down.

Old
01-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Ok, I'm getting real scared now. What's the hatred about Nylander here? He's frigging 14th in the league in scoring with less games played and has been absolutely wonderful for the Rangers this year. He is a part of the best line in the entire league and people want to get rid of him? ***? Do you actually think some random bum will produce what Nylander has? Yeah, sure, let's place Betts, Ward, Hollweg, Hall or some frigging other grinder bum up there and watch the whole line detoriate. Do you think anyone can produce his world class puck control at his salary standard? What games have you been watching? And as a matter of fact, Nylander loves playing hockey. He's not some money leecher, you should have learnt that by now. Look at his frigging money/production. He produces like crazy.

If you claim Nylander is some overpaid loser, you can frankly all go to hell, according to my standards. If you think making the average age of this team turn into 22 will solve anything, you do not have my sympathies.

If you think Straka can replace Nylander at center for Jagr, you have exceeded my expectation of a knowledgable hockey fan (where have you been the last decade? Straka is a much worse center than winger!). They're completely different hockey players. Those who feel offended by this post, good, you deserve it.

If you want to discredit the work Nylander has done for this crappy team, don't look at me to raise my hand. It's as simple as I will put it.

As for the original statement of this post, great, Straka has resigned with Rangers, which is great. He's an undervalued, skilled hockey player with great work ethics. The thing that still upsets me though is how some people still think Nylander is part of the problem here. Jesus Christ.

And for the second part, what's the frigging deal with "don't sign Shanahan"? Yeah, right, let's not sign one of the best impact players this team has had for years to come. As long as he feels he has positive things to give this team, frigging sign him. I (hopefully) hope management won't listen to your bitter rants.

Let's keep the overpaid salaries for our crappy defense instead, yeah, let's not mention anything about that, right?

You made this honour thread about Straka turn into some pie throwing thread about Nylander and Shanahan, some of the few who has actually done what they were supposed to do and more. Shame on you. You frankly make me sick. Once again, if you feel hit, you deserve it, tenfold.
The majority of us like North American, north-south, passionate hockey. Nylander comes off selfish in the way he takes to getting hit, never giving a hit, or sacrificing himself in any position. He's soft. He does not hustle the majority of the time. Therefore, you have a situation where freakin Jed Ortmeyer is more highly regarded than Nylander. Honestly, all Nylander has going for him is elite hands and average skating that allows him to keep up with Jagr. Please do not talk about his shooting. Its like he gets something for racking up assists when he gives up scoring chances to be "unselfish" which is a total crock. If he gave a damn he'd rifle the puck so damn hard at the net for the times he's had the chances. But we're concerned about assists.

What makes you think Shanny wants to come back here? I do not doubt his loyalty and commitment to staying here because he started it. But if I were him, I'd say a big F you to them and find a team with better management and coaching.

And can you reason why Straka is so well liked around here, but not Nylander? We do not have to squint to see Straka hustle. The guy comes to play 9 games out of ten and for a veteran on a team where its so easy to just collect a paycheck, that is commendable. Hats off Marty!!!

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
It is good to live in reality but we suck now. Do not let a 3 game win streak wipe out the previous 5 game losing streak. And this is with our great *line* that should never be broken up. What that line does is detrimental to the whole team. We need Jagr's boys. This team will never be a team until Jagr is gone. Until we can ice a team without saying well we need to get him Rosie, Straks, Nyllet, Malik we will not be a competing team.

Give me Ranger hockey back. It does not mean getting grinders. What happened to talented players who gave a damn? Mess, Graves, Leetch, Richter etc. Shanny was a start that will be quick to end because his road is winding down.

This is just anti-Euro post and nothing else.
But it make me laugh,so thx for that.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 07:48 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
The point I'm making is this team focuses on the short term,not long term. Straka is a good guy and hard working. However what happens to Dawes and Prucha. Krog is a mystery. Never shown much. Immonen did not look out of place. The Rangers are known for giving up quickly on potential stars. Middleton,Norstrom, Apps, Bennett, are just a few names. tHE dEVS PLAY Parise, Gionta ,and Gomez as rookies. Why can't we develop Prucha, Immonen et al. SBOB,TB, Atlanta and others are willing to be patient. Many other posters and season ticket holders would also be patient. Give us what we deserve, a foundation to grow. It's frustrating. The purge may have been smoke and mirrors. I was initially sucked in. No more!
I don't dislike Straka. And I'm not anti-Straka. But if they are going to bring him back. And bring Nylander back. And bring Shanahan back. How is this team going to be much different next year? It's not

And your point about the Devils is well taken. Why has Hale, Martin, Parise and Zajac managed to secure themselves a place on a team that have won three Cups since the Rangers last won one?

01-18-2007, 07:58 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post

This is just anti-Euro post and nothing else.
But it make me laugh,so thx for that.
It did not make you laugh it made you angry, which is why you responded. It's not anti-Euro, if anything its anti-Jagr. It seems all Europeans do around this site is browse around trying to find which European star is being critiqued and then they stick up for them by saying the poster is racist. I've seen you around here and most of your posts are shots saying do not talk bad about our stars.

Fact of the matter is give me more Alex Ovechkin and less Jan Bulis. Give me more Marty Straka and less Marcel Hossa. The games future in is good hands with guys like Ovechkin who just play hockey. Imagine what an unselfish Jagr would have done for the game? What about a less whiny Lemieux?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 08:10 AM
Kostik

Quote:
It did not make you laugh it made you angry, which is why you responded. It's not anti-Euro, if anything its anti-Jagr. It seems all Europeans do around this site is browse around trying to find which European star is being critiqued and then they stick up for them by saying the poster is racist. I've seen you around here and most of your posts are shots saying do not talk bad about our stars.

Fact of the matter is give me more Alex Ovechkin and less Jan Bulis. Give me more Marty Straka and less Marcel Hossa. The games future in is good hands with guys like Ovechkin who just play hockey. Imagine what an unselfish Jagr would have done for the game? What about a less whiny Lemieux?
Believe me, it made me laugh.
I learnt long time before to not take internet way to seriously
I'm posting only when i have something to say, or when i see some uber BS.
Nobody is calling you racist, but i remember such anti-euro players rants, which i find funny, useless and shortsighted.
This is getting OT, don't want to add more work for mods, so i will just stop right here.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

And your point about the Devils is well taken. Why has Hale, Martin, Parise and Zajac managed to secure themselves a place on a team that have won three Cups since the Rangers last won one?
I think that Ranger management not drafting anyone as good as Parise or Zajac might have something to do with it.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
I think that Ranger management not drafting anyone as good as Parise or Zajac might have something to do with it.
Fair enough, but what about Martin and Hale, or Oduya, or Rupp? These are hardly superstars, just decent players who were given the roster spot they earned.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Chimp

Quote:
The majority of us like North American, north-south, passionate hockey. Nylander comes off selfish in the way he takes to getting hit, never giving a hit, or sacrificing himself in any position. He's soft. He does not hustle the majority of the time. Therefore, you have a situation where freakin Jed Ortmeyer is more highly regarded than Nylander. Honestly, all Nylander has going for him is elite hands and average skating that allows him to keep up with Jagr. Please do not talk about his shooting. Its like he gets something for racking up assists when he gives up scoring chances to be "unselfish" which is a total crock. If he gave a damn he'd rifle the puck so damn hard at the net for the times he's had the chances. But we're concerned about assists.

What makes you think Shanny wants to come back here? I do not doubt his loyalty and commitment to staying here because he started it. But if I were him, I'd say a big F you to them and find a team with better management and coaching.

And can you reason why Straka is so well liked around here, but not Nylander? We do not have to squint to see Straka hustle. The guy comes to play 9 games out of ten and for a veteran on a team where its so easy to just collect a paycheck, that is commendable. Hats off Marty!!!
Sure, Nylander is a one dimensional player, he's not a penalty killer. He doesn't hit, but you can't discredit him for not giving 100% out there. He doesn't shy away from getting hit, it's just that he's darn hard to hit when he's skating with the puck. Sure, he isn't a perfect player, he could shoot more, etc. The most important question is: Is Nylander worth his paycheck? Would he be worth his paycheck if it was $3 million? I say yes. What Nylander does he does darn good. He can single handedly hang on to the puck to give his teammates time to move up the entire team, he can shake off his defenseman and he gives good passes. Nylander is also one of the few who can bring the puck safely into the offensive zone without dumping it, which is valuable.

And let me ask something.. how many playmakers in this league do hit? It's not exactly the case that Nylander is unique for not hitting, is he? Marc Savard has 16 blocked shots and delivered 23 hits this season, Nylander has blocked 25 shots and bodychecked 7 times. Jason Spezza has blocked 5 shots and dished out 8 hits. If Nylander would be a more complete player, he would be more prone to injuries and franchise material, which would mean we wouldn't afford him anyway.

But is there a problem with defense within the first line? It's pretty impossible to be scored upon when you have parked in the offensive zone. And again, I cannot grasp how the best line in the entire league can be considered a problem around here. It's the rest of the team that's the problem: the second line effectiveness, the lack of center depth, the defense, the backchecking, the lack of discipline that creates huge giveaways at precisely the wrong spots, the coaching, you name it. This team just sucks at bringing the puck out of their own zone, clearing the crease and helping the goalie and as I said, constantly give the puck away where it shouldn't be lost.

The ideal place to lose the puck is behind the extended goal line in the offensive zone, giving enough time for the team to form effective defense, this team however thinks it's a good idea giving it away in the middle of the offensive zone, at the blueline and in the neutral zone, giving tons of oddman rushes.

Anyway... I don't think most fans will understand how much Nylander contributes to this team until he's gone.

Last edited by Chimp: 01-18-2007 at 09:19 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 08:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Fair enough, but what about Martin and Hale, or Oduya, or Rupp? These are hardly superstars, just decent players who were given the roster spot they earned.
Or Brooks. Or Greene.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 09:52 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

My question to you is this

Is Nylander worth his paycheck without Jagr?

If I'm signing a player, I want that players production to be generally the same wether he's playing with Jagr or not. I understand that there's going to be a serious spike in production, but Nylander without Jagr is a medicore 2nd line center and that's what he should be paid.

He's going to get first line money and that is going to be a big mistake because he's no where near a 1st line player without Jagr.

If he asks the Rangers for anything more than a 1 year deal I pass. If he's looking for numbers north of 3.5 million I pass.

Thanks, bot no thanks.

And to be honest, I do have a bias against the finnesse oriented players be they from Europe or the dipsy-doodlers from Canada. I want the North-South guys that like to play in front of the net and not around it. Those are the teams that win.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Its a PP Goal

I'll probably get killed for saying this...I don't mind Euro style hockey. No one complained when it was working last year and I doubt anyone would criticize them this year if the rest of the team was playing better. I think we're placing blame in the wrong direction. We should be directing it to our defensive core for not keeping the puck out of the net adn not allowing Lundqvist to get into a rhythm. We should be getting more production from the rest of the team. Maybe Sather deserves most of the blame because he failed to do address any of our problems.

Imo it seems a little unfair that we're asking the best line in hockey to score more instead of asking the rest of the team to do more or asking our GM to bring in better personnel.

Its a PP Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 01:12 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
My question to you is this

Is Nylander worth his paycheck without Jagr?

If I'm signing a player, I want that players production to be generally the same wether he's playing with Jagr or not. I understand that there's going to be a serious spike in production, but Nylander without Jagr is a medicore 2nd line center and that's what he should be paid.

He's going to get first line money and that is going to be a big mistake because he's no where near a 1st line player without Jagr.

If he asks the Rangers for anything more than a 1 year deal I pass. If he's looking for numbers north of 3.5 million I pass.

Thanks, bot no thanks.

And to be honest, I do have a bias against the finnesse oriented players be they from Europe or the dipsy-doodlers from Canada. I want the North-South guys that like to play in front of the net and not around it. Those are the teams that win.
The answer is still: Yes, Nylander is worth his paycheck. Nylander and Straka would still produce good numbers, if for example Jagr was switched with Shanahan. Straka and Nylander are ideal support players for a team star and should be paid accordingly. Nylander is a splendid second line center, not mediocre. Cullen is a mediocre second line center and he is paid $3 million - and doesn't even receive half the crap Nylander gets (counting both fans and coaches). See the difference? In times like these with a lack of quality centers in the entire league, Nylander is worth even more. Nylander is paid to be a support player to a team star, not being the team star himself. And he is doing it splendidly. He is kind of a budget version of Marc Savard.

As for all this crap with North-South and East-West, they could be playing upside down for all I care as long as it works. You are critizising the best line in the league for not being good enough. That's deep water if you ask me. Every team fears the Rangers first line, while some of our fans think it sucks because they don't crash the net enough.

Look at the big picture here. I still ask the question: Why breaking down the only line in this team that actually works? As for Nylander being paid "1st line money", no, $3-3.5 million is not much for a 1st line center that does what he's paid for. And he will probably not ask for more than that.

You want a center that hits, scores, plays defense, fights, nurses sick school children and wears a hero cape? Fine, cough up the $6+ million in salary and be prepared to give up alot of player resources. As for me, I rather put those efforts into defensemen or second line playmaking center worth the money instead. This team is top heavy enough as it is.

I can't believe how immensely underrated Nylander is, even by some of this teams own fans. And I can't believe how people can complain on absolutely everything on this team. I guess we will see a "fire the janitor!" thread soon. And believe me, if Nylander shot the puck (even when he should) and doesn't score, people would whine on him because he took the shot instead of letting Jagr take it.

Last edited by Chimp: 01-18-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old
01-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Fletch

Best line in the league?

Not sure if they show up to enough games to be called that. What would be fair to say is that Straka and Nylander play with a guy who's probably the most watched on the ice throughout the league.

I do agree, however, about Nylander - he's a fine second line center. Not sure if he's a budge version of Savard, who's on pace for more than 100 pts while getting paid $5MM per year, is still quite young, and is carrying a team on his back, but agree that fine second liner is appropriate.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Not sure if they show up to enough games to be called that. What would be fair to say is that Straka and Nylander play with a guy who's probably the most watched on the ice throughout the league.

I do agree, however, about Nylander - he's a fine second line center. Not sure if he's a budge version of Savard, who's on pace for more than 100 pts while getting paid $5MM per year, is still quite young, and is carrying a team on his back, but agree that fine second liner is appropriate.
Savard is better than Nylander, hence the word "budget version". You get what you pay for. Nylander averages 1.18 PPG and is paid $2.2 million, Savard averages 1.34 PPG and is paid $5 million. Granted stats only tell half the story, Savard and Nylander have very similar numbers.

Last edited by Chimp: 01-18-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old
01-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Fletch

I understood the 'budget' term...

perhaps I was saying that this season, Savard's in a bit different league than Nylander, thus far, and 'budget' wasn't really a strong enough term. Put Savard in Nylander's situation and vice versa and I think you'd see an even greater disparity in their numbers. I think Savard's played like a guy that should be earning a good deal more. He just changes the look of that team totally and has been carrying them this season to a large extent (again, thus far).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Problem is you go down that line and then you gotta mention Tyutin, Lundqvist, Hollweg, Moore, Prucha in that equation as well.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 03:28 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Don't forget to factor in the Devils lack of cap flexibility.Richard Matvichuk has been close to returning since before the holiday roster freeze but the Devils need to make room to fit Matvichuk's salary into the salary cap.You don't think Lou would love to get Matvichuk on the roster and be able to acquire some help on defense like he has in previous year-Shawn Chambers,Sean O'Donnell,Vladimir Malakhov,Brad Lukowich,etc instead of playing the AHL kids

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 03:37 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Don't forget to factor in the Devils lack of cap flexibility.Richard Matvichuk has been close to returning since before the holiday roster freeze but the Devils need to make room to fit Matvichuk's salary into the salary cap.You don't think Lou would love to get Matvichuk on the roster and be able to acquire some help on defense like he has in previous year-Shawn Chambers,Sean O'Donnell,Vladimir Malakhov,Brad Lukowich,etc instead of playing the AHL kids
I'm sure Lamoriello will find some way to sign everything he needs and still wriggle in under the cap. He did damn well in that respect this past offseason.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2007, 03:58 PM
clmetsfan

I'm with Chimp on this one.

The problem is not the first line, the problem is that the first line is the only one that can score. Every so often even the best lines fail to produce. And when that happens, we're screwed because Shanahan is the only other legitimate scoring threat on the team.

The obvious problem with this team is that we have far too many grinders who can't score. Betts, Ortmeyer, Hollweg, Ward, Hossa, Hall, Krog...that's two full lines of guys who have little to no scoring prowess. Personally I love guys like that, particularly the first three, but whenever they're on the ice it's like there's no chance that the team will score.

And the second line has been a mess all year. I expected Shanahan, Prucha and Cullen to be a pretty effective combination, but only Shanny has been even servicable.

Essentially, too many guys like that means that we can never afford to fall behind because we lack the firepower to get back in the game.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2007, 06:42 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
..I don't mind Euro style hockey. No one complained when it was working last year and I doubt anyone would criticize them this year if the rest of the team was playing better.
That is actually not true. There were more than enough complaints about how that particular style of play would not get far. Turns out, the complainers were quite prophetic.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote