HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Braydon Coburn

Old
03-08-2013, 12:32 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
I don't know how many minutes Grossman had last night - but he was on the ice a hell of a lot for someone's first game back after an injury. I was surprised to see him on the ice so often

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
I don't know how many minutes Grossman had last night - but he was on the ice a hell of a lot for someone's first game back after an injury. I was surprised to see him on the ice so often
If it's not a tear you can generally work through a hip flexor problem. It'll affect his mobility, but that can be solved by conservative, smart play.

Edit: I imagine he had to leave the Rangers game because the issue occurred at a time when they couldn't diagnose and treat it quickly. Assuming it's nothing disastrous, they'll be able to prep him for games. Hopefully it doesn't get worse...he can play, but playing him with big minutes surely won't help.

03-08-2013, 02:40 PM
potsiev2

Coburn is a guy that too often makes poor decisions and it always seems as if he pressures himself into making a play. When he's on he has the ability to close in on loose pucks and get pucks out of the zone with his strong skating ability. I'd rather go a different direction and bring in someone else. Trade

potsiev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:55 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I love how quickly people turn on players here. Is Coburn really the new Carle?
I'm a really big Coburn fan. But he's not looked good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
Exactly, the Flyers don't have anyone else to be his partner. The solution isn't to trade Coburn but to trade for a puckmover who can handle big minutes with him.
Mezsaros? That would be one hot-and-cold pairing, but the upside there is pretty legit.

Kimmo - Luke
Coburn - Mezsaros
Gustafsson - Grossmann

Not terrible. Could cut down on Grossmann's minutes while that hip flexor heals up. Though I tend to think the cure to Coburn's ills is to let him play his way out of it. This is his MO by now unfortunately. If he had his A-game every game they would be paying him more than 4.5 million.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:04 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Coburn hasnt been good this year at all and I said it before I am beginning to wonder if its all above the neck with him. Confidence seems to be an issue with him as well. There is no doubt he has the skillset to be a very good defenseman. I just wonder if it will be here.
-9 and all those minor penalties he takes(up there in the league leaders)
Maybe trading him could be the best thing for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Kimmo - Luke
Coburn - Mezsaros
Gustafsson - Grossmann

Not terrible. Could cut down on Grossmann's minutes while that hip flexor heals up. Though I tend to think the cure to Coburn's ills is to let him play his way out of it. This is his MO by now unfortunately. If he had his A-game every game they would be paying him more than 4.5 million.
well then there is the issue of overplaying Timonen who you always have to worry about being overworked. If you are worried about both Timonen and Grossman for a variety of reasons there probably isnt an easy solution to how you play them.
gotta say tho if Grossman goes down for any length of time it definitely goes from bad to worse and quickly.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:59 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Coburn hasnt been good this year at all and I said it before I am beginning to wonder if its all above the neck with him. Confidence seems to be an issue with him as well. There is no doubt he has the skillset to be a very good defenseman. I just wonder if it will be here.
-9 and all those minor penalties he takes (up there in the league leaders)
Maybe trading him could be the best thing for him.

Well then there is the issue of overplaying Timonen who you always have to worry about being overworked. If you are worried about both Timonen and Grossman for a variety of reasons there probably isnt an easy solution to how you play them. Gotta say tho if Grossman goes down for any length of time it definitely goes from bad to worse and quickly.
I would be inclined to hang onto him. Moving players can gelp them get a fresh start, but I don't know if a fresh start is what Coburn needs. This might just be who he is: great for a while, bad for a stretch, good for a stretch, great for a while, rinse and repeat.

As for overplaying Kimmo, the ice time can get split pretty evenly between those top two pairings. I wouldn't mind seeing Gus with Grossmann for a stretch either. They have very complimentary skill sets.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:08 AM
Reduxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He's been playing badly enough. This hasn't been a quick turn either. People aren't being knee jerk over one bad game. He's been really bad all season. That's not exactly a quick turn.
I'd still consider getting mad over someone's play over the course of 26 games knee jerk. Everyone has rough stretches, and some of them are for extended periods of time. If you're going to want to trade everyone who has a bad stretch of say, 25 games, we're not going to keep many people here, or win a cup.

Reduxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 10:23 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Coburn the minutes leader on the ice for this entire team? Yeah he hasn't been his best but dude is still pretty young and he logs big minutes and he actually has some mobility. Just wish we would see him use his size more and be more mean. He's reminding me of a rich man's version of Therien. He is also reminding me of all the excess hate against Carle who we let go and got nothing to show for except cap space for D men replacements that don't exist..hence the Foster and Brutal Gervais stopgaps/stopcraps!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:15 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I would be inclined to hang onto him. Moving players can gelp them get a fresh start, but I don't know if a fresh start is what Coburn needs. This might just be who he is: great for a while, bad for a stretch, good for a stretch, great for a while, rinse and repeat.

As for overplaying Kimmo, the ice time can get split pretty evenly between those top two pairings. I wouldn't mind seeing Gus with Grossmann for a stretch either. They have very complimentary skill sets.
I dont want to trade him just for the sake of trading him. We all know how good he can be. he is a frustrating player no doubt. You know the skillset is there and you see how hes playing this year and you really cant put a finger on why.

I wouldnt mind Grossman and Kimmo paired up either.

Schenn/Meszaros
Timonen/Grossman
Coburn/Gus or Gervais

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 04:03 PM
3Fs

Ok if he trys to make a cross ice pass and turns it over in front of our goalie like he did against the Oilers, which cost us a goal and almost another one against the Nucks. I will drive him to the airport to get his arse outta here. Just saying and ranting.........

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 04:18 PM
blinds

He's been great this season, although these glimpses of brain-dead Coburn are a little scary. I'm more worried about wtf Mez is doing on the ice and Schenn.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 04:35 PM
The Dream
Maximum Overdrive

Move him and another pick plus our 1st round pick for Ekblad at the draft.

The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 04:35 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Still the best defenseman on the team.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 04:45 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post

Yep, couple of horrible give aways to start the road trip but he was by no means bad in either game. I expect a lot from him, Multi million dollar stride and a whole lot easier on the nerves than watching Mez. I shudder to think of what the Flyers blue line would look like without him. Is he Norris calibre, no. I sure like him at his contract a lot more than Phaneuf though.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 05:02 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Coburn has really stepped it up this season. If Timonen decides to retire next year I would like to see Coburn get an 'A' on his jersey. He always stands up for his teammates and has been here the longest. Hope he keeps up his recent play for the rest of the season.

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 05:28 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
He's been great this season, although these glimpses of brain-dead Coburn are a little scary. I'm more worried about wtf Mez is doing on the ice and Schenn.
Schenn is a different player when paired with Mez. He looks significantly better with every other d man in the roster.

Coburn has f'd up a few times the past couple games but he's still been our best d-man by a large margin.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 05:29 PM
Winston Wolf

He's a much more valuable player when he has confidence with the puck. Hopefully his gaffes in the last two games don't cause him to lose any of that confidence. If he keeps shooting the puck as he has been lately, he can turn back into that 25-30 point player he once was.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 05:32 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
...and easily the most frustrating. Because we know what he's capable of but never consistent with it.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 05:39 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

I can see what you guys are saying but it was bound to happen. He's been great this year. Honestly, I think Berube or Patterson is making him jump into the offense a little more and it's noticeable. Personally, I think he should join more often because he has a great shot and can pass too. It wasn't that long ago where he put up 9 goals and 36 points. They just shifted him more into a defensive role I believe and his offense kind of got away from him

NHLAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 06:25 PM
flyerfanish

This is so funny.. Ive been reading these boards since 09/10 and I honestly think I've seen a thread like this every year. Coburn always has a ****** start, but always improves as the season moves on and becomes a beast in the playoffs.

This is our Coburn. For about 4.5m that is one hell of a player, in my opinion. But he will never score 30 points again.

flyerfanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 06:54 PM
Ryker

I gotta say I've warmed up on him, as well. I was very critical of him last year and at the beginning of this one, but he's really not that bad. Even in games where he makes bad plays, he then also makes a lot of good ones. I wouldn't say he's our best defenseman, though, since none of them really stand out to me as being able to claim that title. To me, it seems to be a toss-up between him, Timonen and Grossman.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 07:23 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Schenn is a different player when paired with Mez. He looks significantly better with every other d man in the roster.

Coburn has f'd up a few times the past couple games but he's still been our best d-man by a large margin.
This...100%.

Schenn was -3 last night yet 2 goals were directly Mez's fault and the 3rd was Mason making the save and having the puck deflect off Schenn and in. None were his fault.

As for Coburn, he is a great #3 guy who is our best d-man. At some point soon, I would look to do some F+D for a much better D and lesser F type deals. Example:

Simmonds and Grossmann for Buff + Frolik

We give the better F but get back better D(offensively in this deal)

Buff Kimmo
Coburn Streit
Schenn Gus

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 09:07 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Sigh..the new Carle. Once he's gone we'll be looking for a heavy minutes player like him just like Carle particularly last year when we really needed a PMD. He is far from perfect but as somebody noted ...problem is when the Flyers try to rely on him in a prominent role...like the substitute for Pronger or another PMD. He's fine ...what's around him needs to improve. Leave the dude alone....jeesh.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 10:12 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Id package Brayden and Luke for an upgrade at defense.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 11:32 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Coburn is a guy who you can pair with (if you can get one) a #1 defenseman

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote