HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Bears/NFL Thread XXVI - Clowney runs a 4.53 40

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-01-2014, 11:34 AM
  #51
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootie View Post
It went way beyond his body/build
My recollection was a bunch of people giving BWC crap because he declared the guy a bust right out of the gate - before he ever put the pads on. I don't recall anything going beyond his size/strength. In hindsight it looks like he was right.

Sarava is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 11:37 AM
  #52
madgoat33
Registered User
 
madgoat33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,576
vCash: 500
The only things I remember were questioning his size, the competition he played against, and the fact he was taken instead of Chandler Jones, who was/is a natural 4-3 DE

madgoat33 is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 11:45 AM
  #53
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
The only things I remember were questioning his size, the competition he played against, and the fact he was taken instead of Chandler Jones, who was/is a natural 4-3 DE
Which is hilarious since Jones isn't in a 4-3 defense

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 11:46 AM
  #54
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,537
vCash: 500
Shea's body/build isn't why he's ineffective. It's because he's just not very good. He doesn't have a counter move and he's not fast enough to just fly around the edge

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 11:48 AM
  #55
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 21,630
vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Which is hilarious since Jones isn't in a 4-3 defense
The Pats play a multiple front D. So sometimes he is.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 11:51 AM
  #56
madgoat33
Registered User
 
madgoat33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Which is hilarious since Jones isn't in a 4-3 defense
the patriots play a hybrid and when wilfork went down I think they played with 4 lineman more than 3. Chandler Jones plays with his hand on the ground most of the time anyway. I don't think you can deny that he would have been a better pick than McClellin unless you have an agenda.

madgoat33 is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 11:54 AM
  #57
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 21,630
vCash: 1625
I don't think many were denying that Jones would have been the better pick at the time. People, including myself, just wanted to give McClellin the light of day.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 11:55 AM
  #58
madgoat33
Registered User
 
madgoat33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,576
vCash: 500
we'll he's bad and you should feel bad.

madgoat33 is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 12:08 PM
  #59
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
the patriots play a hybrid and when wilfork went down I think they played with 4 lineman more than 3. Chandler Jones plays with his hand on the ground most of the time anyway. I don't think you can deny that he would have been a better pick than McClellin unless you have an agenda.
I don't deny that, in fact Jones was my guy going into that draft. But at the time, he certainly was no sure thing.

Also what's your point about him playing with his hand on the ground? 3-4 DE's play with their hand on the ground

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 01:19 PM
  #60
madgoat33
Registered User
 
madgoat33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
I don't deny that, in fact Jones was my guy going into that draft. But at the time, he certainly was no sure thing.

Also what's your point about him playing with his hand on the ground? 3-4 DE's play with their hand on the ground
My point is he had 11.5 sacks and its not like he was playing OLB in a 3-4. They played with 4 lineman a bunch and he was pressuring and sacking the qb.

madgoat33 is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 01:21 PM
  #61
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 103,285
vCash: 340
It really is not shocking to see the pick turn into disaster it has become

All the issues I brought up at draft turned out to be accurate

Bostic is next if Bears try to keep him at 4-3 MLB ,, A role he simply is not capable of playing in NFL

As for Chandler Jones ,, The Pats play hybrid D but majority of there looks come from 4-3 now especially after Wilfork injury

Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 01:43 PM
  #62
Gootie
Thug of the Year
 
Gootie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chiraq
Country: United States
Posts: 25,365
vCash: 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
It did?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
My recollection was a bunch of people giving BWC crap because he declared the guy a bust right out of the gate - before he ever put the pads on. I don't recall anything going beyond his size/strength. In hindsight it looks like he was right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
The only things I remember were questioning his size, the competition he played against, and the fact he was taken instead of Chandler Jones, who was/is a natural 4-3 DE
Size, the school he went to, being a "workout warrior", where he went in mock drafts, a supposed lack of production in college
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
It really is not shocking to see the pick turn into disaster it has become

All the issues I brought up at draft turned out to be accurate

Bostic is next if Bears try to keep him at 4-3 MLB ,, A role he simply is not capable of playing in NFL

As for Chandler Jones ,, The Pats play hybrid D but majority of there looks come from 4-3 now especially after Wilfork injury
You wrote him off because you had never heard of him, he went to Boise State, and you read a mock or two that didn't have him in the first round. Basically the same as Kyle Long.

There are countless example of very successful defensive ends that were/are undersized.

Gootie is online now  
Old
01-01-2014, 01:59 PM
  #63
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 103,285
vCash: 340
I was concerned with Long because of his lack of play against capable competition and all the red flags off the field

With that said ,, I admit that I was 100% wrong on that one

But the Shea pick has been an absolute disaster for Bears ,, As I said it would be

Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 02:12 PM
  #64
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I was concerned with Long because of his lack of play against capable competition and all the red flags off the field

With that said ,, I admit that I was 100% wrong on that one

But the Shea pick has been an absolute disaster for Bears ,, As I said it would be
50% of first round picks are busts. If you say every year the pick will be a bust you'll be as right as you have been the last 2 years

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 02:15 PM
  #65
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,537
vCash: 500
Bostic may also be a bust, but there's nothing about his profile that says he's not a mlb

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 02:27 PM
  #66
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 103,285
vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Bostic may also be a bust, but there's nothing about his profile that says he's not a mlb
Yes there is

He couldn't cover pass in NCAA (Has always been pathetic at it) and he struggles going against lineman who effectively push him aside with little effort leading to running lanes for RB's

He can hit and has decent speed to get outside ,, He is a OLB in 4-3 D

Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 02:31 PM
  #67
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Yes there is

He couldn't cover pass in NCAA (Has always been pathetic at it) and he struggles going against lineman who effectively push him aside with little effort leading to running lanes for RB's

He can hit and has decent speed to get outside ,, He is a OLB in 4-3 D
Most mlb's don't cover. Only in a Tampa 2 do you have middle linebackers running 20 yards down the field.

Yes he didn't shed blocks well but people said that about Urlacher for 10 years. This criticism is like the people who said Alshon couldn't get open after his first season. Maybe Bostic won't learn and he'll suck, but if he suck its not because he's out of position. Just like Mcclellin who wouldn't be a good player in any defense at this point

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 04:55 PM
  #68
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,236
vCash: 500
Bostic is a Sam in a 43 or ILB in a 34

Much like Shea only COULD have success as a 3-4 OLB

Bubba88 is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 07:58 PM
  #69
Gootie
Thug of the Year
 
Gootie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chiraq
Country: United States
Posts: 25,365
vCash: 1868
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 5m
Bucs and Lovie Smith reached agreement, as @JayGlazer reported. Deal had been in works for days. Smith was favorite all along. Back to Bucs.

Good for him

Gootie is online now  
Old
01-01-2014, 09:55 PM
  #70
Ace Rothstein
Aces High
 
Ace Rothstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 3,093
vCash: 547
Awesome, the Bears and Tampa are playing next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see them play in week one.

Ace Rothstein is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 10:09 PM
  #71
madgoat33
Registered User
 
madgoat33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,576
vCash: 500
I hope lovie gets to restart his NFL career getting curbstomped by his old team.

madgoat33 is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 10:21 PM
  #72
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,525
vCash: 500
Looks like I'll be sitting in brutally cold weather Sunday afternoon/night. I feel like the chilling temperature is going to help Green Bay in that one. We'll see what happens.

Also, I think Tampa Bay is going to get turned around quickly with Lovie, Tedford, Marinelli, and now maybe even Frazier in the fold with some nice pieces like David, Goldson, Barron, Jackson, Revis, and Martin.

Cullksinikers is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 10:25 PM
  #73
madgoat33
Registered User
 
madgoat33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,576
vCash: 500
lol tb ain't getting turned around ****. Their middle of the pack defense will improve somewhat but the offense is still going to be bad. They also don't really have the personnel to play a cover 2, as their blue chip D player, revis, is a much better fit for a system that emphasizes man coverage. Lovie's D is all about playmakers in the secondary, a good MLB and a good dline.

madgoat33 is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 10:29 PM
  #74
Gootie
Thug of the Year
 
Gootie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chiraq
Country: United States
Posts: 25,365
vCash: 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
lol tb ain't getting turned around ****. Their middle of the pack defense will improve somewhat but the offense is still going to be bad. They also don't really have the personnel to play a cover 2, as their blue chip D player, revis, is a much better fit for a system that emphasizes man coverage. Lovie's D is all about playmakers in the secondary, a good MLB and a good dline.
They need an MLB and a DE. They have the 3 tech in McCoy, arguably the best linebacker in the game this year in David, and the safeties are good enough. Lovie played a lot of man last year and they can get out of Revis's deal at any time. Wouldn't surprise me if they brought in Trillman either.

Gootie is online now  
Old
01-01-2014, 10:31 PM
  #75
madgoat33
Registered User
 
madgoat33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,576
vCash: 500
we'll see friend, but that bend don't break **** ain't gonna work if you're not forcing turnovers and consistently pressuring the qb.

madgoat33 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.