HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Collecting Hockey cards

Old
06-14-2013, 12:38 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Dave, I'm glad people like you are still around. I've been collecting since I was 5 years old and never stopped. I have roughly 40,000 cards; 150 jerseys; 300 books; 200 magazines; 500 toys and all produced hockey videos I can get my hands on. I also have a bunch of oddball items like Jello/cereal boxes, coins, stamps, pickle jars (Deadmarsh Dills), glasses, soda bottles, table mats, lunch boxes, pillow cases, toothbrushes, etc. Anything cool and hockey-related is part of my collection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yave1964 View Post
Right back atcha Gus....

150 jerseys?!? I have thirty some and about about 30 t-shirts and I thought that was a lot.
150 jerseys? I know what I call that...a lightweight.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:48 PM
gifted88
Dante the poet

I started collecting in 1989/90. By the mid to late 90's I found out cards from these eras are practically worth the paper they are printed on so I stopped collecting.

Recently I bought a few packs and wanted to start collecting again but the wife won't let me.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post
Recently I bought a few packs and wanted to start collecting again but the wife won't let me.
Time for you to find a mistress my friend. A good wife never comes between a hockey fan and their love of puck.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 09:44 PM
Billwinkle
Rookie User

Hi My name is Bill and I too have collected cards since I was a kid as a matter of fact so did all my older brothers. I have cards from 1930's forward most of which were obtained by my family. I made the mistake of selling 5 cards once and I regret it to this day. They were all doubles but the money is fleeting and an I could have used those cards to trade for item I need for my collection. I also have a pretty large collection that includes almost anything collectible regarding hockey except for sweaters and equipment. I live in an apartment so space is limited. I am 55 Years old and been married for 36 years so my wife has supported my "obsession" as she calls it for most of my life. We also do the antique trips as she collects Marilyn Monroe items. I am still trying to complete some of my sets and I am tackling the monster of all Collections.... St Lawrence Starch (beehives) of which I have just over 700 of the 1023 known to exist. None of the super rare ones yet but I am still looking. I guess my rarest would be my Howie Morenz group 1. So if anyone out there is looking to trade I am always looking for new or unique items, as well completing my sets. My collection ranges from some cigarette cards to Colgate Heads to Shirriff/salada cooins to Beehives. I have parkhurst Topps an OPC in the earliest of years for each set. Lets talk about collecting or possibly trades. I will never ever sell a collectible again I learned my lesson.

Billwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 11:14 PM
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yave1964 View Post
My name is Dave and I collect hockey cards (hi Dave).

I am 48 years old, and still collect cards. I have binders upon binders in my bedroom, my wife actually encourages the hobby wholeheartedly. I collect cards as well as team yearbooks, press guides, jerseys, and anything and everything Kansas City Scouts that I can get my hands on, not exactly sure where that came from.

What say you? Is there any help or am I beyond medication or counseling? Are there any other collectors out there and would you like to share your story? What do you collect, and how do you collect?
Ya I have a Jersey fetish. Every Team Canada jersey, and every Senators jersey, All-Star jersey's and many, many more. I tried collecting everything Senators, cards, pucks, team sets ect, but it got too much, so stuck with just the jersey's. Got too many jersey's, but luckily wear most of them to pickup Hockey, except for the rare, or signed ones.

Rocket Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 10:45 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Always liked collecting hockey cards back in the 90's. O Pee Chee, Pro Set and Score where my favourite sets.

09-01-2013, 12:17 PM
mbhhofr

I never collected hockey cards, but I still do have one. When I was fourteen, I was at the 1953 Grey Cup Game in Toronto which was played on Saturday afternoon. That night, the Habs were playing the Leafs. Friday night before the game, My Dad and I went to the Royal York Hotel, where the Habs were staying. We knew a Habs scout who introduced us to Paul Meger, who gave me a post card sized black and white card with his picture on it and signed it He then took me around the lobby of the hotel and introduced me to his teammates. I got their autographs on the back of his card. Among them are, Maurice Richard, Butch Bouchard, Tom Johnson, Boom Boom Geoffrion and their coach, Dick Irvin who are all in the HOF. Others who's autograph I have on that card are, Dollard St. Laurent, Dick Gamble and Ken Mosdell of the Habs. Bill Juzda of the Leafs and John Henry Johnson, who is in the NFL HOF.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 10:57 PM
mattcoco35

I loved collecting cards, but quickly realized that the $$$ wasn't worth the investment.

However, I did collect full sets of upper deck in my sons birth years. Maybe one day I'll give them to em and watch them sell em all for $50 haha.

mattcoco35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Big Phil

For whatever reason cards have plummeted in value. In the 1990s they flooded the market with Upper Deck sets and such. Therefore even a Jagr or Lindros rookie isn't more than $10 now, if that.

The older ones, the O-Pee-Chee from the 1980s you assumed would keep going up but they'd dropped too, although not as bad as the 1990s. In reality, your best bet for getting value out of cards are ones that are in good condition from the 1960s. Maybe soem in the 1970s too. And there are some good rookies in the 1980s. But the card hobby is not what it used to be.

I don't think it will ever be the same anymore. With this generation of kids burying their noses in their cell phones, texting while they walk and having no attention span, I can't see that hobby ever picking up the way it used to be again.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 01:59 PM
whatname

I loved collecting rookies. I was also fascinated with holograms. I always liked the early 90s hologram cards UD produced, not the 90-91 ones where you can't even make out what on it, but 91-92 award winners holograms were probably the best ones.

whatname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I don't think it will ever be the same anymore. With this generation of kids burying their noses in their cell phones, texting while they walk and having no attention span, I can't see that hobby ever picking up the way it used to be again.
The card companies are to blame for that IMO. The cost of a pack of hockey cards is prohibitive to most kids now and has been for nearly 20 years in fact. Before Upper Deck entered the market you could get a pack of 15 cards for less than $1. That all changed in the 90's. By the time I was in that 10-15 year old age range where collecting is a lot of fun you were looking at $2.50 for 10 cards, that was the very cheapest set. Of course you also had lots of stuff that was much more expensive than that.

I was big into collecting back in the late 90's/early 00's, and probably spent pretty much my entire income on it. My income consisting of allowance and birthday money from Grandma in those days of course. Most kids aren't going to make that commitment, and I don't blame them. Not sure what the market is like now, haven't really collected in 10 years, but I assume it remains much more of a business than a hobby, which is unfortunate.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 04:42 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Is it weird if I find a pack of "All My Children" soap opera cards in with a bunch of my dad's hockey cards?

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Is it weird if I find a pack of "All My Children" soap opera cards in with a bunch of my dad's hockey cards?
Depends. Is it open? Did it come with bubble gum? Is the Susan Lucci card missing?

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 04:48 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Depends. Is it open? Did it come with bubble gum? Is the Susan Lucci card missing?
Yes it is open. Lots of cards with someone named Erica on them

Old
09-02-2013, 04:59 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yes it is open. Lots of cards with someone named Erica on them
... then ya, your Dads' perfectly normal.

Old
09-02-2013, 05:03 PM
AndyPipkin

^ Besides the picture I've got a million cards from the 90's(yeah yeah I know), but I didn't pay for them so losing them for almost nothing doesn't bother me.

Someone said a lot was the best idea, but I'm very impatient.

Old
09-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Someone said a lot was the best idea, but I'm very impatient.
... I see. Prolly best you dont collect cards then Andy. Some youd have to sit on for over a decade or more before maybe possibly seeing a return, and at that, hafta know what your doing. Requires time & attention, study.

Old
09-02-2013, 05:22 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
... I see. Prolly best you dont collect cards then Andy. Some youd have to sit on for over a decade or more before maybe possibly seeing a return, and at that, hafta know what your doing. Requires time & attention, study.
Ha yeah I have a newer set I'm working on just for collecting purposes.All these other cards are taking up so much room I can't keep them

Seriously I have a footlocker full, about 6 large wine boxes full and a bunch of those square flat boxes that hold 3 large rows.

Old
12-31-2013, 02:27 PM
ceciltaylor

Hey guys. I live in The Netherlands and I am very familiar with collecting cards, though they were football (soccer) cards by Panini. I used to buy packs regularly with my brother back in '00-'04 when I was about 10-14 years old.

Recently I have been thinking about collecting hockey cards since it has become my favorite sport over the years (instead of soccer). I want to start collecting hockey cards just for the fun of it, because I still remember the thrill it gave from opening cards just hoping to get that one cool player out of it.

Question is, where the hell do I start? What brand is decent? And how do cards work nowadays? Are Topps and Upperdeck two different brands? And how is O-pee-chee different from these? I have about 50$ spare I want to spend on this. Like a box of cards would be a good starter I think.

ceciltaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 03:10 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quick breakdown of the current scene

Three manufacturers:
- Upper Deck
- Panini
- ITG

Upper Deck and Panini both have NHL licenses currently, ITG does not(there cards will not include things like NHL branding, team logos and names)

Each manufacturer has a set of brands that are released yearly(some core brands and some interchangeable brands). These brands are typically categorized as Low End, Mid-Range, High End according to the price and value of hits(a hit being considered a desirable card like an auto or memorabilia piece)

Typical releases
Low End ($50-$65 a box, large amount of base cards, ~1 hit a box, lots of inserts): Opeechee(Upper Deck), Score(Panini)
Mid Range ($70-$180 a box, multiple hits per box): Black Diamond(Upper Deck), Limited(Panini), Hereos and Prospects(ITG) etc...
High End ($200+ a box, limited set of base cards, lots of low print cards, almost all the box is hits, only like 5-8 cards a box): Dominion(Panini), The Cup(Upper Deck), Superlative(ITG) etc...

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/s...-hockey-cards/

If you have about $50 you want to spend I would suggest looking at getting mid range releases from a couple of years ago, they are the best bang for your buck. Some thing like 2011/12 Panini Contenders, you'll get a few player and rookie autograph cards a box and its on sale most places.
http://www.dacardworld.com/sports-ca...ckey-hobby-box

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 05:40 PM
ceciltaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
Quick breakdown of the current scene

Three manufacturers:
- Upper Deck
- Panini
- ITG

Upper Deck and Panini both have NHL licenses currently, ITG does not(there cards will not include things like NHL branding, team logos and names)

Each manufacturer has a set of brands that are released yearly(some core brands and some interchangeable brands). These brands are typically categorized as Low End, Mid-Range, High End according to the price and value of hits(a hit being considered a desirable card like an auto or memorabilia piece)

Typical releases
Low End ($50-$65 a box, large amount of base cards, ~1 hit a box, lots of inserts): Opeechee(Upper Deck), Score(Panini)
Mid Range ($70-$180 a box, multiple hits per box): Black Diamond(Upper Deck), Limited(Panini), Hereos and Prospects(ITG) etc...
High End ($200+ a box, limited set of base cards, lots of low print cards, almost all the box is hits, only like 5-8 cards a box): Dominion(Panini), The Cup(Upper Deck), Superlative(ITG) etc...

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/s...-hockey-cards/

If you have about $50 you want to spend I would suggest looking at getting mid range releases from a couple of years ago, they are the best bang for your buck. Some thing like 2011/12 Panini Contenders, you'll get a few player and rookie autograph cards a box and its on sale most places.
http://www.dacardworld.com/sports-ca...ckey-hobby-box
Wow thanks a bunch, this really clears things up. I figure I can go with something from '11-'12. I only have a few questions left:

- I want to go for either Panini or Topps on this, but I'm still deciding between a "Score" box and "O-pee-chee". I like the design of the Panini cards, is that a good enough reason?
- Is it recommended I stay with one brand after buying one box?
- Can I move on to boxes from other seasons if I don't even have one 'completed' yet?
- Do cards still have "value" if the players are traded (i.e. not playing for the team as pictured anymore)
- I'm looking at some YouTube vids in where people break open boxes of Score cards and they don't even look at the base cards. Do people not care for these?
- Which ones exactly are interchangeable? And how do I find out?
- Does above question mean that collections by one brand, from let's say 'Low' and 'Mid' range are not 'standalone'?

Thanks for replying in the first place, and it's okay if you only want to answer one of these confusing questions..

Old
12-31-2013, 08:19 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltaylor View Post
- I want to go for either Panini or Topps on this, but I'm still deciding between a "Score" box and "O-pee-chee". I like the design of the Panini cards, is that a good enough reason?
- Is it recommended I stay with one brand after buying one box?
- Can I move on to boxes from other seasons if I don't even have one 'completed' yet?
- Do cards still have "value" if the players are traded (i.e. not playing for the team as pictured anymore)
- I'm looking at some YouTube vids in where people break open boxes of Score cards and they don't even look at the base cards. Do people not care for these?
- Which ones exactly are interchangeable? And how do I find out?
- Does above question mean that collections by one brand, from let's say 'Low' and 'Mid' range are not 'standalone'?
No worries, I'll try to cover your questions the best I can

Collecting is very dependent on what you personally want out of the hobby. There is a wide range of personal interests; some people like to collect huge base sets like opeechee/score, some collect insert subsets, some collect only rookie cards, some people like to collect autos and memorabilia cards, some collect whatever look nice to them, some only collect goalies/teams/players etc...

If your not looking to re-sell your cards on the secondary market(like ebay) then looks are as good a choice as any when deciding what to buy.

There is no need to stay with one brand or season when you are collecting, that's a very uncommon practice I would say. The vast majority of people mix and match getting whatever they like. In terms of interchangeability, every brand is a standalone product. Rarely you will have a subset of cards that span multiple products (Panini Private Signings for example) but these shouldn't be a concern when deciding what to buy, it's just a silly little gimmick.

In terms of value, base cards are worthless. High end product base cards might sell for a few bucks each just because they are low production and serially numbered. Value is essentially determined by the secondary market, what other people want to pay for your cards. I've seen times where people open a $300 dollar box product and end up with maybe $50 dollars worth of re-sale product. Collectors are typically looking for specific Auotgraphs, low print run, memorabilia, or rookie cards. Value is highly variable and depends greatly on what the product is, who the player is, what the type of card is and recent trends. Players may or may not have the same value after being traded(could either have more or less).

Just a quick demonstration, lets take a look at a cross section of Galchenyuk rookie cards

High end rookie card
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2013-14-panin...7665c7c&_uhb=1

Mid
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2013-14-SELEC...6b07127&_uhb=1

Lower-Mid
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2013-14-UD-UP...ae85ae7&_uhb=1

Low
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/13-14-Score-H...2bd11ab&_uhb=1

Or you could end up pulling a different Dominion rookie card and see it go for a lot less
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/13-14-PANINI-...d14839e&_uhb=1

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 09:14 PM
Giacomin

Good luck! Collecting Hockey cards can be very enjoyable

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 05:09 PM
ceciltaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
No worries, I'll try to cover your questions the best I can

Collecting is very dependent on what you personally want out of the hobby. There is a wide range of personal interests; some people like to collect huge base sets like opeechee/score, some collect insert subsets, some collect only rookie cards, some people like to collect autos and memorabilia cards, some collect whatever look nice to them, some only collect goalies/teams/players etc...

If your not looking to re-sell your cards on the secondary market(like ebay) then looks are as good a choice as any when deciding what to buy.

There is no need to stay with one brand or season when you are collecting, that's a very uncommon practice I would say. The vast majority of people mix and match getting whatever they like. In terms of interchangeability, every brand is a standalone product. Rarely you will have a subset of cards that span multiple products (Panini Private Signings for example) but these shouldn't be a concern when deciding what to buy, it's just a silly little gimmick.

In terms of value, base cards are worthless. High end product base cards might sell for a few bucks each just because they are low production and serially numbered. Value is essentially determined by the secondary market, what other people want to pay for your cards. I've seen times where people open a $300 dollar box product and end up with maybe $50 dollars worth of re-sale product. Collectors are typically looking for specific Auotgraphs, low print run, memorabilia, or rookie cards. Value is highly variable and depends greatly on what the product is, who the player is, what the type of card is and recent trends. Players may or may not have the same value after being traded(could either have more or less).

Just a quick demonstration, lets take a look at a cross section of Galchenyuk rookie cards

High end rookie card
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2013-14-panin...7665c7c&_uhb=1

Mid
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2013-14-SELEC...6b07127&_uhb=1

Lower-Mid
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2013-14-UD-UP...ae85ae7&_uhb=1

Low
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/13-14-Score-H...2bd11ab&_uhb=1

Or you could end up pulling a different Dominion rookie card and see it go for a lot less
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/13-14-PANINI-...d14839e&_uhb=1
Thanks a bunch. I'm ordering a hobby box by Panini Score soon and I'll see from there how things will go.

Old
01-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltaylor View Post
Thanks a bunch. I'm ordering a hobby box by Panini Score soon and I'll see from there how things will go.
To specialize in some way is very neccessary yes. If you're not a multi-millionaire with a garage the size of a hangar.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote